• Published 24th Oct 2013
  • 6,754 Views, 160 Comments

The Pony On The Wall - BleedingRaindrops



A young filly inadvertently uncovers one of the most horrible and tragic blunders ever to happen to a citizen of Ponyville.

  • ...
12
 160
 6,754

Twilight's Mistake

Of all the weather patterns Rainstream had ever dealt with, almost none of them had ever involved blue clouds. Or vines, for that matter. After generating the scheduled storm—with the help of the Ponyville Weather Team—the rain master had returned to find her entire house stained bright blue, and completely entangled in thick vines, the leaves of which matched the new color of her home.

She landed on the front ledge and approached cautiously. As she stepped through the front archway, the vines came alive, grabbing at her wings and swiftly wrapping around her hooves. She tried to fly away but the vines pulled on the clouds and closed the main entrance, trapping her inside her own home! She tried for the windows but those too were closed off, and she had run out of time; the vines had her firmly in their grasp.

She struggled to free herself but she was firmly bound, and unable to move. Then her whole body began to twist, further and further until she was sure her neck would snap. As the vines became tighter, and her bones shifted beyond what should have been possible, her skin began to melt off. Before long she slid out of the vines as they wrung her out like a rag.

She had expected to fall onto the floor, but instead went right through it. If her stomach was still solid, it was churning, as a dizzying height met her eyes and she plummeted to earth with the pouring rain. Instinct told her to open her wings, but they were no longer there. The ground came up to meet her with a wet slap.

Rainstream’s vision blurred as raindrops pelted her face, eventually lifting her liquified body and sliding it along the ground, toward the edge of the meadow. There she saw Ink Blot’s discarded saddlebag from earlier. She reached out toward it, managing to grab hold but noticing that her body had become clear like water. Using the flow of the runoff to help push her, Rainstream sifted what was left of her body around the bag and settled into a single puddle, as the rest of the storm flowed into the stream below.

Damn it all. What sort of dark magic is this?

~ ~ ~

“Unng,” Twilight groaned, shaking the papers from on top of her head. “Spike, what time is it?”

“Little Spike is not here. You never returned home, my dear.”

Zecora’s voice made Twilight stand straight up. “What? Zecora? I’ve been here all night?”

“Actually, we’ve all been here all night.”

Twilight turned to see Apple Bloom mixing herbs in a bowl, pausing occasionally to glance at a few scattered papers next to her.

“You were actually pretty helpful, and we were able to isolate and concentrate a mix that should help keep the victims alive until we can cure them of the plant. Unfortunately,”—Apple Bloom grimaced—“we still haven’t found an actual cure. The plant is still lethal, and worse yet is that we still don’t know where it is.”

Twilight felt her cheeks grow hot. The plant had never been lethal, she just didn’t want to admit the real reason she’d been unable to save the herbalist. She didn’t even know his name. Twilight’s eyes began to fill with tears, but she managed to pass it off as anger.

“Ugh, that’s because there is none! I got rid of it all, so stop jumping at shadows!” Twilight snarled, violently throwing her hooves around so that they might not notice her face. Twilight quickly recomposed herself with a final huff, then stood up straight, steadying herself with a hoof on her chest. “I’m going to go finish up some notes on artificial pegasi magic.”

Without waiting for a reply, Twilight vanished from the hut, taking her vast amount of notes and scrolls with her. She neatly stuffed them into her saddlebag with her magic, and headed back toward town. This was stupid, and Apple Bloom was just too paranoid because she’d been so close to the poor pony. Love is blind, as they say.

~ ~ ~

Twilight stormed into the library, dropping her saddlebag at the door (Spike would put it away) and raced up the stairs to her bedroom. She flung herself onto her bed, landing on her back, and telekinetically snatched a random book from her ‘favorites’ shelf. Hugging the book to her chest, Twilight closed her eyes, took a deep breath in, and exhaled slowly. It was quiet in here, with the gentle chirping of birds wafting in through the window. No emotionally distraught Pinkie, no paranoid Apple Bloom, no letters from Celestia. Silence. Twilight opened her eyes, sat up, and glanced down at the book she’d selected.

Daring Do and the Midnight Forest. It had been a while since she’d read this one. It was about an ancient forest filled with magical and wondrous plants, which had incredible power and properties. In the center of the forest lived an old alicorn, who tended to the forest like a garden. She had helped him preserve a rare plant from the likes of Ahuizotl, who had wanted to use the last of the plant to create an elixir of immortality. The book had ended with The old Alicorn dying to create an artifact that could save Daring Do’s life, in return for helping save the life of the precious plant.

Twilight smiled fondly and opened the book, eager to read it again.

The sounds of terror and creatures of the night assaulted Daring Do’s senses as she snaked her way through the brambles and thickets at the edge of the ancient forest...

Twilight sighed and put the book down. It would be great to read a book and forget about everything, but she couldn’t take her mind off of what Apple Bloom had said. Twilight’s eyes flashed to the old and tattered binding, lying atop the highest shelf in her personal collection. The herbalist’s notes. Twilight forced the next few thoughts from her head. No. She wasn’t going to think about that. Twilight let out a huff and pulled up some scrolls, and a book on “Mysterious Magical Botany”. One more check couldn’t hurt, just to dismiss her doubts.

~ ~ ~

About an hour later, Twilight had taken a break from her research, to do more research, but of a different kind. She’d gotten about as far as she could on finding cures for ancient, said to be extinct, plants and developed a minor headache. It could be safely concluded that everything she already knew about the plant was correct. There was no known cure, but the last traces of the plant had been destroyed long ago. There was no point in continuing, so Twilight decided to relax with something a bit more enjoyable, as it held a very special place in her heart, for a particularly exuberant young mare.

Scootaloo’s wings had never fully developed, but her tenacity and determination had earned her at least some lift. Fluttershy was still a far better flier than Scootaloo would ever be on her own, but by leaping from the cliff overlooking town—Rainbow Dash had supervised the whole thing—she had managed to glide all the way to Golden Oaks Library. Rainbow Dash had been so proud, and had promised to take her up to Cloudsdale if she got good enough.

Of course, “good enough” was never enough for ponies like Scootaloo or Rainbow Dash. The two became nigh inseparable, to the point where you would almost think they were related. Scootaloo had even moved into Rainbow Dash’s cloud home with her, since her latent pegasi magic at least allowed her to cloudwalk. Twilight smiled fondly. The two could have been sisters.

They had worked so hard and so long, that when Scootaloo left for flight school, Rainbow Dash had thrown a big party and invited all of her friends. Twilight had come, and gotten caught up in the celebration too. It had been a rough night, and one Twilight had spent a lot of time trying to forget. She could still feel the hangover she’d had the next morning. Never again. Twilight shook the thought away and returned to her notes.

Rainbow Dash had come to Twilight one day, asking if there were a way Scootaloo could fly on her own. Like, really fly, through the use of artificial pegasi magic. It was a cheat, Rainbow Dash admitted, but it would still be Scootaloo doing the work, and she had worked so hard. She’d be graduating flight school soon and Rainbow Dash had wanted her to have a treat. Why carry the filly up to Cloudsdale when she could fly on her own? She’d be ecstatic; it was the perfect gift.

Twilight had promised she’d work on it, and work she had. Rainbow Dash had been more than thrilled to help study pegasi flight magic, and Twilight had come up with a pretty elegant theory so far.

“Twilight!”

Twilight groaned. Not now. She looked up as the sound of hurried footsteps carried their way up the stairs. A few moments later Spike scampered in. He paused near her bed to catch his breath.

“What is it, Spike?” Twilight asked in a calm voice. She continued scratching out notes with her quill, attempting to listen at the same time.

Spike pulled out a scroll and held it out to her. Giving his report between gasps for air.

“Twilight. A letter for you. From Princess Luna.”

Twilight dropped her quill.

“Luna?!”

She turned to face her assistant now, eyebrows pinched together. She snatched the scroll from his hand and unfurled it, hungrily scanning the letter. Her eyes grew wider with each word.

“No.”

The scroll flopped loosely onto the floor, and Twilight slumped down with it. Precious cargo delivered, Spike shuffled back down the stairs to continue cleaning the library.

Twilight Sparkle sat staring into open space. It had to be a mistake. Surely Princess Luna was jumping to conclusions. Twilight heard the front door open downstairs, and heard hoofsteps entering. She jumped at the noise, but quickly regained her senses. She glanced between her notes and the letter. She’d already ruled everything out. How could this be possible?Twilight scratched out a few more notes and turned an ear to hear what was going on downstairs.

“...I was hoping you could tell me a bit about poison joke.”

Twilight stopped writing.

“I fell in some yesterday, and Apple Bloom’s been freaking out since.”

It was Ink Blot’s voice. It wasn’t uncommon for the filly to wander in here, and Twilight already knew about the poison joke. But Apple Bloom hadn’t mentioned Ink Blot had actually gotten some on her. Twilight’s eyes flashed back to the herbalist’s notebook on her shelf, and her chest tightened.

“Apple Bloom’s always been fussy over plants and stuff since I knew her, especially poison joke. I never figured out why though.”

That day. The day she had failed everypony. She’d failed Pinkie, Zecora, Apple Bloom, and…
She still couldn’t remember his name. Twilight shook herself. No. She had set things right. She’d removed the threat. Twilight had found a forbidden spell from Celestia’s restricted archives, that could remove the plant from ever having existed. She had burned all of it to oblivion. It was gone. Never to come back.

But Luna’s letter…

Twilight looked back up at the book, and it seemed to stare back at her, daring her to open it and give life to her fears. Cold sweat ran down her face as it bored into her gaze.

“I chased him out past the old abandoned barn, way back into the woods there.”

The barn. Oh no! Had she seen the paint? No! Twilight had covered that up. Nopony knew!

But you’re not sure, are you?

Twilight bit her lip. She couldn’t dismiss the thought. There was no way to know but to check. She had to make sure nopony knew. She slammed the book on pegasi magic shut, took a few steps toward the door, then paused. One more glance upward, and she knew she had to take the notebook with her. She used her magic to make it follow her down the stairs.

She passed Spike and Ink Blot in the main lobby.

“Spike, I need you to watch the library for a bit. I just need to check on something really quickly.”

She summoned her saddlebag, and all of her notes from around the room, and dashed out the door.

“Wait, Twilight, I need to ask you something!” Ink Blot called after her.

“Sorry, I’ll have to answer it later,” Twilight called back. “This is really important!” The filly couldn’t know. She couldn’t know. It was impossible. Twilight had to be sure she was safe.

Houses flew past as Twilight’s hooves carried her faster than she’d thought possible. Thoughts of the incident flooded her mind. How Pinkie had woken her up to help with some poor pony stuck to a wall. How she’d asked Zecora for help because she couldn’t think straight. How she’d lied to Pinkie. To Apple Bloom… If only she’d known. She could have prevented this. Somehow. She just knew it.

The old barn came into view, and Twilight’s mind filled with painful memories she’d spent years trying to forget. The bushes had grown a bit since she’d been here last. The flowers were gone, and the building looked on the verge of collapse. Twilight stepped around the barn, dreading what she might find there. Here, more than a decade ago, she’d condemned a pony to a fate worse than death, because she couldn’t find any other solution.

Perhaps Twilight thought she’d be relieved to find the wall blank, just as she’d left it. Perhaps she might have felt better if the paint had begun to peel. But what she found, she was not prepared for. As the barn wall came to view, it became clear that the wall was intact, and no longer blank. She dug in her hooves and froze in place as her eyes locked onto the decidedly not blank wall.

It was clearly only a painting, but Twilight’s heart stopped cold as she stared into the eyes of the mural that had replaced the blank wall. It looked very much like Ink Blot’s hoofwork. And who else would have done this? The filly simply couldn’t have known. It was like staring into the pits of hell.

There he was, blurred, twisted, bloody, and surrounded by a menacing aura, but he was there. His coat was red, as though he were made of blood, his eyes lifeless slits carved into a faceless skull. Blue vines surrounded him, appearing to come alive at his bidding, as an extension of his senses. And his cutie mark, exactly the way she remembered it, down to the last detail: Two blue leaves, crossed to form a heart shape, bound together with blue vines.

“No.” No. It couldn’t be true. Twilight backed away from the wall, refusing to accept what she was looking at. “No, no NO!”

She heard the shuffling of hooves behind her, and turned to see Ink Blot standing there, looking curiously at her. It was her. The filly had ruined everything! Twilight’s entire body tensed, and she reached out with her magic.

““What did you DO?!” She screamed, tears forming in the corners of her eyes. She grabbed the filly with her magic, who whimpered in response, legs kicking uselessly at the air. Now everypony would know. Everypony would ask questions. And it was all this stupid, careless, ruinous little filly’s fault. All her fault. They’d know. She’d tell them. She’d tell everypony, and the secret would be out.

But maybe not. The edges of Twilight’s vision blurred as thoughts she’d never even considered ran through her head. All it would take is a little pressure in the right place, one clean blow between two of the seven vertebrae in her little neck. She’d never even see it coming. She’d never have time to feel the pain. That, or maybe she could pop a couple of the vessels running along her brain. A sharp twinge, and then she’d sleep. Peaceful, quiet. Untraceable.

No.

The thought forced itself through the multitude of other voices in Twilight’s head. It wasn’t her fault. Twilight loosened her magical grip on the filly, shaking as she fought back the urge to crush something, with a little filly the current target of her thoughts. No. Taking out her frustration and anger on an innocent filly would solve nothing. Twilight would have to work fast to fix this, but it wasn’t Ink Blot’s fault. She simply didn’t know. She couldn’t have known. Twilight had never told Pinkie the truth, so Pinkie couldn’t have told her daughter.

Twilight let Ink Blot drop to the ground, and searched for something else to direct her anger at. But there was nothing. The secret was about to be out, and there was nothing Twilight could do to prevent what was coming next.

“Agh! It’s hopeless now!” She screamed. Letting everything escape in that one, anguished cry, Twilight turned and sped off for Zecora’s. She was the only other pony who knew, so she was the only pony who could help.

How could this have happened? The poor filly didn’t even know what was coming for her. Twilight had to find a cure now, or Ink Blot would be lost forever. No, the plant wasn’t lethal—Twilight had lied about that—but with no cure, it may as well have been.

Twilight was so used to traveling to Zecora’s hut she almost didn’t notice where she was until she had arrived. She burst through the door and found Apple Bloom and Zecora, huddled over a few papers. Apple Bloom turned her head quickly toward Twilight, tossing some sweat in her direction.

“Twilight! What is it?”

Twilight didn’t respond at first. How to put this? ‘I’m sorry, you were right’? ‘Ink Blot needs help and we don’t have enough time’?

“Is it the plant I think it is?” she asked, looking directly at Apple Bloom. She held out Luna’s letter to her friend. Please say no.

Apple Bloom looked over the letter, and her expression grew more painful with each word. She passed the letter to Zecora, and stared directly at her hooves. She didn’t look up when she spoke, simply pointed to the table beside her.

“Yeah. It is. We harvested these this morning. Very carefully.”

Twilight followed her hoof, and her eyes soon fell upon a plastic bag filled with blue leaves, connected by blue vines.

“We just need another look at your notes and we might be able to finally make a cure.” Apple Bloom didn’t sound as though she believed herself.

No. Twilight shook her head, eyes still locked on the blue vines. It wasn’t possible.

“But we got rid of those. I—I burned them all!” she stammered. “I… burned them all,” Twilight whispered, barely loud enough to hear. She fell back on her hind legs and held her head in her hooves. This was impossible. She had burned every last one of those vines to nonexistence. She’d even used a forbidden spell to do it. There was absolutely no way...


Zecora trotted over with a very forced smile, and placed a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder.

“Fear not, my friend, of tragedy. She has received your remedy.”

“The new one?” Twilight asked, looking up. “With all of the herbs I added and modifications I made? I need to be sure this isn’t going to happen again. I can’t let it happen again.” Twilight got up and backed toward the door. It was happening again. “I thought I’d never get over it the last time, and now it’s come back to haunt me again!”

She threw the contents of her saddlebag at Apple Bloom, snatched up the deposited letter, then turned and fled. Images of the herbalist’s pleading stare bore into her. Pinkie’s reaction when she was told to paint over him. Apple Bloom’s eyes when Twilight had told her he was dead. As she burst out the door, she caught sight of Ink Blot standing in the middle of the trail, like a phantom come to haunt her. Twilight’s heart nearly exploded as she dug her hooves and backpedalled as quickly as she could.

“No, no no! Oh, it’s all so wrong. This can’t be happening!” Twilight closed her eyes, refusing to look at the filly before her. When she opened them, she was safe in the library.

Twilight blinked. It was gone, right? She looked around. Everything was just as it would be on a normal day. The books were organized, Spike was dusting the ones on the top shelf, and a few scrolls were laid out on the desk in the corner. Could she simply have imagined it all.

“Oh, hey, Twilight,” Spike called from the high bookshelf. “What did you need to check on so badly?”

Twilight’s blood froze. If Spike remembered that, then… Twilight pulled out Luna’s letter and looked down at it, the words confirming her worst fears.

Dear Twilight,

I fear an evil we had thought vanquished has returned to Equestria. Your friend Pinkie Pie’s daughter had a frightening dream last night the likes of which I have not seen for more than a decade. I was not able to reach her to comfort her. I fear she is in great danger, Twilight Sparkle. I fear that the plant known as ‘Nightmare’s Kiss’ may once again be growing in the Everfree Forest.

Take caution, Twilight. We must act quickly, and carefully, if we are to save the filly, and everypony else in Ponyville.

Hoping you are safe,
Luna, Princess of the Night

The parchment slipped from Twilight's magical grasp and fluttered quietly to the floor.

“A… a very sick filly,” Twilight finally answered.