• Published 22nd Feb 2012
  • 42,705 Views, 8,607 Comments

Griffin the Griffin - BlackWing

  • ...
294
 8,607
 42,705

PreviousChapters Next
A Dash Of Life (41)

A Dash Of Life

I still can't get over it. He just charged out there and went nuts on those dragons. I mean, it's not like I couldn't do it, but, I didn't want to steal his thunder. Oh, who am I kidding, ONE dragon that size kicked my flank with a sneeze, and he beat six, at the SAME TIME. And he met Daring Do, and he's the captain of this pirate crew. I hate to say it..... but.... he's...... BUCK! I can't say it! Nopony's more awesome than me!

"Hey Fluttershy, you co.....ming......?" Looking out on the deck, she was laying next to that diamond dog, back to back, but snuggled up close. They were both fast asleep.

"Really? Him? Never would have guessed it. Well, whatever. Can't use it to tease her though. If it was Pinkie, yeah, then I could totally use it for prank revenge, but Fluttershy? Uh, I just hope she knows what she's doing."

I did a couple flips in the air, grabbing bits of cloud and the like, but I couldn't really get over the feeling I was missing something, something important, and it made flying feel absolutely dull. Okay, I'll admit, I'm not the most sensitive of ponies, and I can be pretty dense sometimes, but, I can't get over the feeling that I missed something.

Gilda

'Right. That's what I forgot. I've got to talk to her, that is, if she'll even talk to me.'

I found my way carefully down to her room, and knocked on the door softly.

"It's open."

I nosed the door open to find Gilda laying on her bed, looking at something. Seeing me, she quickly stuffed it in her bag, hiding it. I've seen her do that before, back at flight camp. She would never let me see what it was. Her eyes were red, she had been crying, but seeing it was me, she quickly put on her 'game face' so she wouldn't appear lame.

"Oh, it's you."

"Umm, heh, yeah......." I just stood in the doorway for a couple minutes, like a moron. What am I supposed to say to the friend I betrayed without even realizing it? Element of loyalty my flank.

"You gonna say something?" She scowled at me. She probably doesn't want to see me right now.

"I.... I guess not.... sorry." And I left, heading back to the party.


'Stupid stupid stupid! Why can't I just tell her I'm sorry? Why can't I just swallow my pride?......pride...... *sigh*'

"Hey Dashie, you look saddy mc saddy pants, what's the matter?" Not now Pinkie......

"It's, nothing." I reply, exasperated.

"Well then, whatever the nothing is that's bothering you, I know Pinkie can make you smile!"

'Yeah..... who needs Gilda anyway. I doubt I'd ever be able to patch things up between us. Besides, she has new friends now, friends who care for her. She doesn't need me anymore.'

Gilda's POV

"I know what you were trying to say. Even if you couldn't say it, I know what you meant. It's alright. I'm, better now."

Rainbow Dash's POV

"Oh my gosh! Pinkie! Hide me!" I dove under a table that had food and punch on it, but the plates were empty so it only had a table cloth now. She popped under it in that weird way she does things.

"Oh! are we playing hide and seek! I love hide and seek! Who are we hiding from? Huh, who's it? I....." Hoof in her mouth so she couldn't keep talking, I explained.

"Pinkie, if you keep talking, you'll give me away."

"Oh, are you spying on Griffy?"

"Yes, wait, what? No! Sorta I guess." The table cloth concealing us from the rest of the group.

"So, which is it?" She cocked her head to the side.

"Well, it's just, he's so...... I don't know. I mean, When Spike became huge, even the Wonderbolts couldn't handle him, and that dragon in the cave, I could barely do anything against it, but then, he, six of them, SIX. He went through them like they were nothing. He pushed himself waaaaaaaaay beyond what he should be able to do, and, he pulled it off. I mean, when I pulled off the sonic rainboom at the best young flier's competition, I felt so awesome and he just, blew it away. I mean, just LOOK at him, so confident, so strong. The only thing I can say to describe him is..... unstoppable." I moved the cloth to the side so we could look out of it, and I saw him standing there, talking with Twilight.

"So then, you're jealous?" Pinkie asked, confused.

"No, no, it's different. It's like when I look at a Wonderbolt's show, but, WAY better. Like if every Wonderbolt ever got together and did a show. I get all tingly just looking at him."

"OOOOOOHH You have a crush on Griffy."

"What no!" Dang it Pinkie, that's not what I meant.

"Dash has a crush on Griffin, Dash has a crush on Griffin!" She started bouncing around. How she could do that under the table without bumping it is beyond me. Just, Pinkie being Pinkie.

"No, Pinkie stop... okay! Yes! I have a crush on him. Now will you stop telling everypony?" She abruptly stopped and sat next to me.

"Oh, don't worry, I won't tell anypony. No guaratees about anygriffin though."

"You wouldn't......."

"Oh, alright fine! But then you've gotta tell him."

"I.... I can't......"

"Why not?"

"Because he's already with Gilda! Or... at least I think he is. I don't know for sure..... but I'm pretty sure he is. I do know that she likes him though. I, I can't do that to her, not again. I've already hurt her enough. Besides, it's just a crush. She's been right next to him for what.... three months? They've saved each other's lives.... I'm just being selfish."

"Oh Dashie, you're not being selfish. Okay, maybe a little. You just want your special somepony to be awesome. And I mean, he is kinda awesome...."

"Kinda? He took on six full grown dragons! He hung out with Daring Do! He's way awesome! I mean, not more awesome than me, but, close."

"Silly filly, you know what I mean. You want somepony awesome, and he's awesome, so you want him. There are plenty of other awesome fish in the awesome sea. Or awesome ponies and griffins, and....... oh, there I go again. The point is, the reason you're crushing on him is because he's right there in front of you. When we get back to Ponyville, or Cloudsdale, you'll take one look at Soarin and your hooves will melt over him. You're just looking for somepony to be with. Trust your aunt Pinkie Pie."

"I'm a year older than you. We all are."

"I know what's bothering you. You need to go talk to Gilda and find out how she feels! If she doesn't feel like you think she does, then go get him! But, if she does like him, then leave him alone, or she'll claw your eyes out. Besides, I don't think you'd like him once you got to know him...... after all, he calls himself an egghead."

"Yeah, I guess you're right. I'm just jumping the gun. I mean, I know next to nothing about him, except that he's a so called egghead that's really strong and is apparently an alien. And he's a criminal. Uggh, why does this have to be so complicated? No, you're right Pinkie, I don't like him that way. It's just a stupid crush. Soon as we get off this ship, I'll stop thinking about him and that will be that. But first, I need to spar with him. Huh? Where'd he go? Probably back out on the top deck. He spends a lot of time there."

I darted out from under the table and headed to the stairs, to find him and challenge him to a fight. I needed to know what he was capable of.

Pinkie's POV

"Silly Dashie, has her tail in a knot. She never was good at letting other's know how she feels."

"I know. Thanks for talking to her. I kind of wondered why she kept looking at me like that. Better for her to hear it from a friend than to ask me and get turned down. Save's her ego. I should probably go find her on the top deck." The voice came from on top of the table. Poking my head out, I saw he was laying on it. He's pretty sneaky for being so big. He hopped off and headed to the stairs after her.

"Okie Dokie Lokie."

Rainbow Dash's POV

"Where is he......"

"Hey Dash!" I heard his voice come from behind, at the stairwell. I turned to see him, no weapons or armor, just standing there, on his hind legs, leaning against the door frame.

"Pinkie found me and said you wanted a nice, friendly fight." Still so confident! Grrr! It's infuriating! And that's why I like it!

"Hehe, yeah." I started rolling my hoof around nervously.

"Well, just a sec." He walked over to the diamond dog next to Fluttershy, nudging him gently. He awoke slowly, and after some whispers and nods, Growl gently picked Fluttershy up without waking her, which was a miracle in and of itself, and brought her inside, presumably to put her to bed.

"There. Now we won't disturb anyone. So.... honor bound or pirate's law?" He asked. I know what honour bound is, it's an honourable duel, leaving both participants satisfied at the end. I'm not sure what pirate's law is.

"What's the pirate's law rules?" He gave a devious smile.

"The only rule is that there are none." My eyes must have shot wide open. An all out brawl. No holds. Fight till one drops or gives up. He was met with a hoof to the face.

"Pirate's law."

"Clever girl. Now, let's see if you can keep up." I just slugged him and he's smiling? This is going to be interesting. I took my karate stance in front of him, and began with a flurry of hooves towards his head. He just moved it around, away from my blows every time. I jumped back, using my wings for balance. He cracked his neck, and I followed. He looked surprised.

"For once, someone doesn't freak out when I do that." We both rolled all our joints, producing satisfying pops and the like, before he stood on his hind legs in a stance to mimic my own.

"You know karate?"

"Not at all." He laughed. "Being lower to the ground gives better balance, meaning you can knock larger opponents over. But if the opponent can fly, it becomes worthless, and it suddenly becomes a battle for altitude."

"Who taught you?"

"Gilda." He deadpanned.

"How do you feel about her?"

"Not sure. Well, I like her, and I know she likes me, but I don't know if we should take it any farther than that. I'm leaving it up to her. If she makes a move on me, I'll gladly meet her, but if she doesn't... well... I'm still on the market. The wanted criminal, thrown-in-the-dungeon-if-Celestia-catches-me market, but out there none the less. Until she comes out and puts a claim on me, I'm still free, but until she says yes or no, she's got first dibs."

"Letting her take the initiative? Clever."

"Now, are we going to keep going into our love lives, or are we gonna fight?" He charged at me. I was about to jump up to evade, but he did the same, going for an overhead slam with both fists. Since I went up, it collided with my stomach, succeeding in pushing me back, but not hurting me. I did a flip, then brought my hooves down on his back, pinning him to the floor. He rolled, throwing me off to the side, and sprang on top of me, only for me to reverse it and pin him, this time with him on his back. I stood on his chest and smirked.

"Yep, you got me. I'm just no good at dealing with the fast little ones. Gilda normally does that. I mean, fastest flier in Equestria and black belt in martial arts. She taught me, but she admits to being nowhere near as good at it as you are. No chance."

"So, I'm tough enough to beat up a guy who tossed six dragons to the side like they were nothing?"

"To be fair, you have the advantage in the combat triangle, and I get a huge boost fighting dragons. And I'm not using my weapons or armor, AND it almost killed me, but yeah, if it makes you feel better, you are."

"YES!" I jumped off and began flying around. Then I stopped to find him slowly getting back up.

"You let me win, didn't you?"

"Nope, I just can't fight small fast things. Dragons are big, and near impossible to miss. If I can hit, the damage is huge, but against something as fast as you are, I don't stand a chance. It's one area I just can't overcome, and that's why I have my crew to back me up. If I had Trixie riding me, you'd be out in.... ten seconds flat." I just glared when he started laughing, at a joke he apparently made that I didn't understand. His explanation was, 'alien inside joke'. That was annoying.

"Well, I'm done, I'm going inside. This was.... different. See you around."

"I won't be seeing you, you're too fast to follow. No wonder you haven't got a special someone." I almost choked on the air when he said that. I turned around to give him a piece of my mind, but he was already gone. Where did he go?

'Is he a ghost or something? Whatever. Well, that effectively killed my crush. Now that I'm thinking clearly again, back to the party.'

PreviousChapters Next