• Published 9th Aug 2013
  • 2,635 Views, 78 Comments

This Beautiful Darkness Shall Protect Me... - Timemaster



A dusty mirror, reflecting light from someplace unknown, was all I could see in this dark room. Little did I know, a beautiful being, pure black and full of contempt, would rescue me.

  • ...
13
 78
 2,635

13- . . .

"Fuck." I said, the village burning down before me.

"Come on, man, we got to use this at our advantage!" Frank says, carrying the Elements on his body.

I stare blankly for a second, then run after Frank.

How did this go so wrong?


I go towards my room, the guards of my city lightening up seeing it is just me. Hundreds of them surround my office, each with a crossbow.

In my room, the radio I purchased yesterday started to broadcast what was happening... on a talk-show.


"Ponyville, the quaint village that has been the home of the Main or Mane Six, has just been burned down by a-er- dragon? Are you serious?" Mumble Mumble "Wow, that is horrendous. Is it that baby drago- no? Then who is it? Not identified? I thought we had a perfect census of all living..." She was silent for a bit, but mummer was in the background.

"An undead dragon? How... how is that possible? I thought Necromancy was outlawed!" Mummer Mummer "Wow. Just. Wow." silence...


I turn off the radio, contacting Frank.

...


"Yeah?" He said, giddy.

" That wasn't our... right?"

he was silent for a bit.

"Then whose was it? Frank?"

"I have no clue, but, HEY, we got the ELEMENTS. We won regardless."

"I guess... but it is just nagging me."

"Me, too, but I won't let it bother me too much."

"You're returning the Elements to Chrysalis?"

"Yeah, in fact, I am on the chariot ride to our home-base right now."

"Well, you should rest then. You've nearly died so many times during the raid."

"Yeah, but no one will remember my face after seeing that thing."

"Nor mine... I hope."

"Yeah, sorry for ripping your mask."

"It's alright... well, goodnight, I guess."

"Night."

The sound of static fills my ear. I go under my covers, throwing a rock to knock out the candle... and fall asleep...


Hundreds of darkened ponies surround me.each one of them bigger than the last, but all of them having the same build. They bear their teeth, rotten and yellow, at me. They move to me, so I climb on top of a spire. Going through the window, I block it up. The room I am in is dusty and dark, only a single light source in the whole placeā€”the middle. I lay down to take a breather, but then the dark ponies pop through the mirror...


...

It is midday as I am on the top-balcony of the tower. I look down on my worried citizens, each hoping I can save them from whatever harm may come. I wave down to them, a slight smile on my face, and flyers wave back. I am loved here, but unlike other emotions, I cannot absorb love. It disturbs me.

I go downstairs and greet my helpers. We talk for a few minutes, passing time, and suddenly one breaks into a teary fit. Yung crumples to the floor, feeling defeated. She spouts that the country is only getting weaker, while I calm her. While I REALLY calm her down. Her blue magic goes into me, but no one sees the magic go into me. Only unicorns can, apparently.

I tell her to follow me to the upper balcony. I show her the view of the land, everypony feeling dejected and horrible. I tell her to get the speakers that are used during elections and festivals. She nods and goes.

I stare at the sun for a bit, frowning...


...


"Attention citizens of Cloudsdale!" I say through the microphone, amplifying my voice across the booming skies. Everyone stops to listen."

"I, mayor of Cloudsdale, have something important to tell you." My voice booms loudly across the sky.

"I know you are all afraid of death, you are all feeling distraught... so, for the first time in my life, I am taking this dragon into my own hooves."

The crowd was confused, getting closer to me.

"I have decided to form a militia-war-party, seperate from the Equestrian Government, that will take the dragon down. I will select heroes amongst you all to fight the beast." I raise my head, giving my most calm look.

"I may be weak, but I know how to lay to rest an evil being." They all look shocked.

"How do you plan to do this?" one in the front shouts, which others agree.

"Trust me, with a militia at my control, my ingenius plans will bring down the dragon and get rid of all of this dread for good!"

I hear cheering, but hte same guys asks, "Why not let the government handle it? There is more of them!"

"Because. I have read through your country's history, I mean, you guys haven't fought a battle in fifteen years! I, on the other hoof, have."

"When?"

"I, your mayor, was once trapped in a human world."

They all stare at me.

"But- I thought all the mirrors were..."

"They were... but I made one out of interest." I look at the floor, " It was the worst decision I ever made..."

I can feel everyone's sympathy. It makes me queasy.

"So, " I say, fake tears in my eyes, "Who will volunteer as a hero?"

Many ponies raise their hooves, ready to be pawns in my plan...