• Published 28th Aug 2013
  • 1,245 Views, 106 Comments

Planes, Plans and Pony Music - River Road



A story about singing ponies, Discord's curse, and what a unicorn can learn from anime. Five Score, Divided by Four side fic.

  • ...
4
 106
 1,245

I Bring The Sun

Disclaimer: This chapter features a rewritten song. There's a link to the original at the corresponding point of the story, and there's the video in the Author's Note. Feel free to choose whichever option seems convenient to you. :twilightsmile:



I open my eyes, slowly getting to my hooves while my brain begins its waking up routine, reminding me of things my sleep-addled mind should remember before I start the day.

1: You’re back at your own home.

2: You’re a pony.

3: You didn’t even start cleaning up last night.

4: Ponies don’t usually walk on two legs. Don’t walk on two–

5: Ow…

I rub my muzzle with both front hooves. This waking up routine is getting a bad habit. Standing up to four hooves this time I make my way into the living room.

“Ah, you’re awake. I was considering if I should wake you up.” Tarascha is standing by the table, cleaning up the last of junk from the party with a wet rag.

6: Tarascha stayed here for the night.

“You’re still here?” I make my way around him and into the kitchen to fix myself some breakfast. “I thought you’d be back at the hospital by now. Don’t you have, y’know, a job there?”

“Eeyup.” Tarascha throws the rag into the sink and grabs one of the leftover apples from last night. “That’s why I’m still here. I’m supposed to make sure there are no further changes or side effects. I’m also supposed to drive you to your parents’ house. They live in the countryside, right?”

I raise an eyebrow. “Yeah, my grandparents used to have a small farm. But why do you want to drive me there?”

Tarascha moves to take a bite from his apple. “We figured it would be easier for you to visit your parents out there for a while than live all by yourself in the city… Hey!”

I grin sheepishly, levitating the apple back to him and grabbing another one for myself. “Aheh… sorry.”



I’m sitting on the backseat of Tarascha’s car again and staring through the side window, watching the landscape rush by. I haven’t really been out of the city for a while, and it’s nice to look at the forest and the fields stretching between the small villages. It’s kinda relaxing, too. A couple of horses are grazing on a field right by the street, not even looking up at yet another car driving by in their daily routine.

They look content.

I turn my head slightly to look after them feeling even more relaxed.

It must be nice, not having to worry so much.

My thoughts are getting a little sluggish. I’m probably still a little tired. This whole turning-into-a-pony thing must be wearing me out more than I thought.

Isn’t that just what I am now? A horse, nothing more. I don’t need to Someone messed with the street sign again.

I blink, then shake my head and look out of the window again. The car is waiting at a crossroad, with a direction sign pointing to the nearby towns. Someone changed one of the letters in the name of one of the towns, probably from a surprisingly competent mix of boredom and intoxication.

The car starts moving again and I turn my attention back to the landscape. What was I just thinking about? I already forgot…

I sigh. Curse my short attention span.



“A-are you sure this is a good idea?” Now that I’m actually outside my parent’s house, I’m starting to get my doubts about this.

“Hm?” Tarascha looks up from his phone at me. “Oh, it’ll be fine.”

I raise an eyebrow at his sudden disinterest, but unlock the door with my key anyway. “You’re probably right… I still have a few hours before they come back from work, at least.”

“…Oh, I think that’s them.”

I freeze, my hoof still on the handle of the open door. From inside I heard the voice of someone I’m quite sure is not part of my family.

“Hello, Mister Wingeder,” Doctor Kramer greets me with a smile. “I took the liberty to call your parents; I did my best to prepare them for your… Well, you know. They’re still skeptical, but I suppose seeing you should fix that easily.”

I stare at him blankly for a moment, until Tarascha puts a hand on my shoulder, snapping me out of it. “Doctor Kramer told me about this yesterday… He figured it would be easier if you had some officials to back you up on this.”

I blink at him a few times, then shake my head and hesitantly trot around the corner into the living room. My parents are sitting at the table, staring back at me. There’s another man I don’t recognize, though I feel like I’ve seen him before somewhere.

“Hey Mom, Dad…” I clear my throat, trying to get rid of that dry feeling that comes from all the nervousness. “Do… do you mind if I stay here for a few days?”

“…David?” My parents stare at me like they’ve seen a talking horse. I nod slowly, not breaking the eye contact.

No one says anything for a while. Finally my mother starts to chuckle, then laugh. “When we told you that you could try to be whatever you want…” She shakes her head in disbelief. “That was definitely not what I was thinking about.”



I trot across the street onto the fields, humming to myself. That went a lot better than expected. Luckily my parents already knew a few things about MLP from back when I annoyed them with the show all the time. Combined with their penchant for fantasy books, they were at least open-minded enough to accept the possibility that I am their son.

I look at my new ID, floating alongside me. The man I didn’t recognize revealed himself to be a government official who visited me at the hospital the day before to take a look at me. Obviously informing the authorities was one of the first things the hospital did after taking me in. I must have something special about myself, because I haven’t heard of anyone getting their ID in such a short time. But here it is, showing my old name, my new name, my new species and a picture of pony-me to everyone.

I levitate the card back into my small, makeshift saddlebag, something I put together using a regular bag and two belts. It’s not really good, or very functional, but it’s not uncomfortable and a place to store my stuff. From the same bag I then levitate my phone and a set of earplugs. Everyone agreed that it would be best to give my parents some time to recover, so I decided to take a walk around the few pieces of land our family still owns, a mix of fields and forest.

I fiddle around with the earplugs some more, trying to fit them into my new ears. I’d like to find a position that makes them stay in place and doesn’t blast my ears off, but it seems that just one of the two would be an achievement.

I stare at my phone for another moment. Somehow I don’t really feel like listening to music right now… Celestia knows that happens rarely enough. I put the phone back and look around. Lots of empty space, nopony to be seen…

I hum to myself a little. I’ve always liked singing to myself, so why stop now. Ponies sing all the time, right?

I hum a few lines, unaware of a distant guitar sounding through the air.



The mare was lying under a tree, staring blankly ahead. Everything was over. She had lost her home, her life, even her friends and family!

…Or at least she assumed that much. None of them would want to talk to her now. They wouldn’t even believe that she really used to be their friend, their daughter…

And why would they… She was some kind of animal now. No, not even a real animal; real horses didn’t have those… things, growing from their backs.

She sniffled quietly. Maybe she should just give up. Let go and accept that she was a… whatever it was that she had turned into. Just stop fighting, stop running and–

The mare’s ears perked up and she raised her head, looking around in confusion. There was something in the air. She wasn’t completely sure what it was, but…

“I bring the sun, do-dn-do-do
I bring the sun, and I say
It's all right”

The mare scrambled to her hooves hastily, almost tripping over the new appendages she still wasn’t used to. She could definitely hear somepony singing. She didn’t want anypony to see her like this.

But… For some reason she felt like all wasn’t lost yet. The singing was… nice. It invited her to join in, sing along, look for whoever was singing.

The mare hesitantly took a few steps towards the voice.

“Little ponies, it's such a lonely time without you,
Little ponies, I will be waiting for you here

I bring the sun, do-dn-do-do
I bring the sun, and I say
It's all right”



I trot across the field, almost skipping. It’s been far too long since I’ve done this, just singing out loud and nopony for miles who could hear me. I wouldn’t mind if somepony did, but it always seemed like people would be annoyed by my random singing rather than applaud. I… do admit that I’m probably not always completely in key… But I don’t care. If they wanted to hear something more harmonic they always could’ve joined in themselves.

I don’t actually think about all those things as I climb a small hill. I only think about the song and the next line I’ll have to sing.

“Little ponies, there shines a light in everypony,
Little ponies, it’s how your friends are always near”

I stop at the top of the hill, looking around and singing my song to the fields and the forests that stretch everywhere. In the distance I can see another small town, but I don’t remember its name. Right now I don’t really care, either.

“I bring the sun, do-dn-do-do
I bring the sun, and I say
It's all right”



The mare looked around frantically. The singing had stopped. There was still… something in the air, but it was impossible to tell where it was coming from, or if it was coming from any direction at all. Where was she supposed to turn now? After following that song she was even more lost than before.

“Sun, sun, sun, rise at dawn...”

The mare’s head snapped to the right. There it was again. But who knew how long it would stay… She had to hurry.

“Sun, sun, sun, rise at dawn...
Sun, sun, sun, rise at dawn...”

She was galloping as fast as she could now, weaving through the trees, her hooves clopping over roots and dry ground. Up ahead the forest seemed to end.

“Sun, sun, sun, rise at dawn...”

A barbed wire fence marked the end of the forest. The mare could see it clearly even though it was still a good ways away. She couldn’t stop, though. The song could end any moment. She had to keep running.

“Sun, sun, sun, rise at dawn...”

The mare leaped right in front of the fence, bending her knees. She jumped, pushing herself off the ground with all of her power. The wings on her sides unfurled instinctively, giving a small flap. The line of barbed wire rushed past below her.



I’m still standing on the hill, eyes closed and my head turned towards the sky. The spring sun is shining on my face, warming my fur.

“Little ponies, I feel the fears and doubts retreating
Little ponies, give me a sign if you can hear.

I bring the sun, do-dn-do-do
I bring the sun, and I say
It's all right

I bring the sun, do-dn-do-do
I bring the sun, and I say
It's all right

It's all right”

I slowly lower my head as the feeling of music fades. My eyes are still closed, the sun is still shining and I’m letting out a relaxed breath.

I pause. Something seems off. I slowly open my eyes and turn around.

A pony is standing at the foot of the hill. A pegasus mare. She has lime green fur and her mane and tail are a light purple – or maybe it’s more of a deep pink – with a few small, silver grey strands of hair. Her Cutie Mark shows two arrows, one in the color of her fur and one in the color of her mane, twisting around another.

We stare at each other for a moment. I’m not sure if she recognizes me. I only know that I recognize her, even without her Wonderbolt outfit. Aside from the ponies I know from the show, she might be the only pony whose name I know.

“Barrel Roll?” I whisper.

Author's Note:

Ponies! Now officially pluralized.
And songs! Well, one song.