• ...
5
 252
 2,619

CH.19: Rise of the Dark Lord

~continuation~

As though time itself had stopped all noise disappeared. All light turned gray. Everypony was frozen to the spot as the Nightmare just stood there with his eyes closed. Kyrie stood there with a look of satisfaction that his plan worked. Slowly, oh so agonizingly slow, the Nightmare opened his bright yellow eyes. As though this broke the ice that froze everything in place one of the cult members couldn't handle it anymore and made a break for it. He didn't make it to the treeline.

The second the stallion turned his back on the Nightmare two black ethereal arms shot out of his tail and grabbed the stallion snapping his neck, killing him instantly. Seeing this the rest of the cult members aside from Kyrie tried to run for their lives where they were impaled by black spikes shooting out of the ground. Unlike the first stallion the rest of them slowly bled to death while the Nightmare began to smile at their scream of pain.

Just like the Nightmare Kyrie also began to smile seeing as each of his members slowly died before him, marveling at the strength and swiftness of the Nightmare he summoned. Once the last member bled out staining the clearing a dark red the Nightmare and Kyrie simply stared at each other challenging the other to look away. It would have continued like this for hours if the Nightmare did not speak out.

"I can sense your spirit nearby creator, come out of hiding as you and I both know it shall not solve anything for either of us." The Nightmare said in an old wise voice.

As I stepped out from behind the trees I asked him. "You do realize that I can't let you leave here and do whatever it is you plan on doing?"

"While I have been stuck in that hell world you banished me to I have been gathering my strength and now, now I may say I don't believe you can stop me." The Nightmare retorted while Kyrie looked confusedly at the intruder.

"Who are you and why do you disturb this place of summoning?!" Kyrie shouted at me.

I slammed my hooves into the ground as stone hands come up and pull kyrie into the ground and closing his mouth. "Shut your mouth you insolent foal. You do not have any idea what you have done here and for that shall be punished at a later date."

I looked back at the Nightmare who was smirking at my outburst. "And as for you. You were not the only one to grow stronger in the years since our last meeting. What was the saying? oh yes. "What god giveth god can taketh away. What god creates god to can destroy." If banishment was not enough than destruction shall have to be. I gave you form and so I can take it away.

With a look of overconfidence the Nightmare simply flared his wings and said "First you'll have to catch me." With that he launched to the sky moving so fast he looked like a flying black lance. Summoning my power and gaining my green glow I launched into the sky after him loosing my cloak.

While catching up to the Nightmare was easy enough stopping him was another issue altogether. Everytime I would come close to him we would end up smacking into each other, our speed and aura's forcing us to bounce in to different directions. We flew in spirals, helixes, and loops as though we were dancing with each other while trying to destroy the other.

After a rather powerful collision we flew off and came in head-on and as our hooves collided the ground beneath us shook violently as a white light exploded and launched the two of us to the ground. As we got up we noticed the world around us had turned gray again and time had stopped. As I stood up I noticed I was no longer in my pony but my goddess form. Unfortunately so was the Nightmare.

I was dressed in brown and green hide armor with a longbow and a quiver on my back. On my sides were two curved swords made of a glowing metal with diamond pommels. I had upon my head a silver headdress with a feather of an eagle and a phoenix on each side that held my silver hair back in a ponytail.

The Nightmare stood in the form of a man standing near seven feet tall with long purple hair and pale complexion. He was armored from neck to toes in a heavy looking metal suit focusing on the chest the most. The armor by the hands sharpened to make improvised knives. On his back was a broadsword nearly as tall him. It looked like mangled demon with it's blades shaped like wings and claws. (for the lazy)

"While this is certainly an odd situation to be found it shall not deter me from enacting my revenge on you and all creatures for my banishment." The Nightmare said flexing his new hands.

Drawing my twin blades I say to the Nightmare "That right is saved for me and I shall make sure that you stay gone this time. Even if it means sacrificing myself I will not let you harm any creature." I charged forward in a flurry of slashes hoping to catch him off guard but he saw this coming and block each attack using his massive sword as a shield.

Having enough of blocking me off he side-stepped behind me and slapped the flat of the blade across my back sending me skidding across the ground. I rolled to my feet in time to have the Nightmare's blade fall inches from my face. I jumped back in fright to be met with a punch to the stomach and having breath taken away from me. Before I could fall to the ground he kneed me in the chin launching me up where he grabbed my hair and slammed me head first into the ground.

As he lifted his sword up to finish me off I took a cheap shot and hit him "below the belt" and slipped behind him where, with a quick spin, I knocked his legs out from beneath him. Knowing had at some point became stronger than me I had to take a non-direct approach so I took my swords and slashed at the back of his legs tearing muscle.

Screaming in pain the Nightmare spun around and left a large gash across my chest. As I stumbled back in pain the Nightmare got up even though his legs were torn to shreds and jumped into the sky. His sword began to glow an ominous purple as his momentum took him higher into the sky.

With a single look of annoyance the Nightmare said to me "I can not die. Not yet. Not when my goal is so close at hand." And with that he swung down his sword releasing a sharpened wave of purple energy towards me. I was able to get out of being killed by the wave but not before sustaining some damage. This damage me having my arm sliced off. As the disconnected appendage hit the ground it dispersed into green light and rejoined my soul.

I knew he was too strong, much stronger than when I last saw him. I had to do something to destroy him even if it destroyed me for he was my creation and my responsibility. With a small prayer to Gaia I start to run towards the Nightmare. But before I could go ten feet forward he lands in front of me and slams the flat of the blade against my legs breaking them instantly.

The Nightmare looked down at my broken figure with disdain and says "Before you go praying for a nice afterlife with that pathetic being you call a mother I am not going to kill you. In fact I'm going to leave you alive simply so you can wallow in the pain of me bringing your precious world to a desolate pile of ash."

As he was talking the gray world around began to regain color and our forms shifted back to our mortal shells mine turning into a broken resemblance of before. Now back in his black stallion form he tied my legs and wings together so I couldn't move and lifted me onto his back. He took to the skies heading who knows where.

Seeing as he didn't cover my mouth I thought I might as well figure out what his plan is. "You've defeated me and made me powerless before you so that's one part of your plan done. What might part two be?"

"HA! Seeing as how you and my next victim will be helpless to stop me I see no reason not to reveal my plan. Part 2 is me going after your daughters and stealing their powers. Don't act so surprised I've known about your daughters ever since they were born. In fact I was meaning of stealing their powers way back when after I had corrupted Discord but you had to come in and stop me. Now you're probally thinking 'If he has enough power to take me down and even kill me why would he need more power?!' well lets do some math now shall we? You yourself have power equal to half of Gaia herself. Celestia and Luna have power each equal to half of yours. I already have more power than you so if I go and steal theirs I shall have enough power to take down Gaia herself and end all life in this and all other dimensions for eternity!"

With the finish of his little speech the canterlot castle came into view and I was none the able to stop him from going about his plan. As we came upon the castle we could see Celestia and Luna going about their daily meeting with the citizens helping with their various troubles. At the site of this the Nightmare sneered and climbed above the castle. Once he was properly high enough his ethereal arm lifted me off his back and threw down straight towards the window smashing it open.


~quick scene shift~


Celestia sat at her throne win her twin sister Luna next to her as pony after pony came in to voice various complaints from monster sightings to lack a resources. All in all it was another peaceful day and no matter how tedious the two of them would not have it any other way. As they were talking to a pegasus reporting about a new construction needing permission to be built somehow making it easier to control the weather a dark feeling passes through the two and their attention shifts to the window only to find it empty.

Leaving it to just the two of them having a long day they continue on with the report. The report was cut off suddenly by the entrance of a green pegasus smashing through the very same window the two sisters looked at not a minute earlier. As they looked down at the green pegasus it looked up at the sisters with crying red eyes and the two of them recognized her to be their mother.

Through the window came another pony this one a black alicorn stallion. As he landed he stepped over to the fallen pegasus and kicked her with enough force to slam her into the opposite wall. Luna was the first to speak up.

"You demon! Who are you to come into our place of royalty by using the body of our mother as battering ram and than harm her even more by slamming her into a wall?!" Luna screamed at the black stallion.

"I am your mother's other half. You could call me her dark side or actually since I am her other half you can call me father. But for posterity sake You may call me the Nightmare."


A/N aaaaannnd cliffhanger. None of you will believe me but this part with the nightmare i over thought to a degree of zero kelvin and have basically planned the entirety of the storyline for it since the beginning. Here's a question for you all to contemplate. What is someone supposed to do when the hero fails and the bad guys win? What are the consequences of such a situation? If you can't think of an answer that's why hero's do everything in their power to stop the bad guys. Also Ian by the fact that I just had an arm cut off (it can be healed anything can be healed) I am not invincible.