• Published 6th Aug 2013
  • 26,327 Views, 1,321 Comments

The Sun's Knight - Lucky424



On the run for a crime he didn't commit, a young man finds himself lying at the foot of a dais...

  • ...
174
 1,321
 26,327

Chapter 05

PFC Dean Hollis stood over the creature that had replaced him on the floor, one hand over the bullet hole on his chest. He hadn't aimed there, but in the melee that followed when he feigned a roll to his left, going right and grabbing his M9 from under the table... there wasn't much he could do. He glanced out of his eye as the farmers, which was pretty clear that was their job, stood huddled together on the other side of the room.

Pointing his pistol in their direction, he bent down and picked up the rifle looking object up off the ground. With a final glance at the two standing, he turned and fled towards the front door, ignoring the red one's pleas for help as he went to assist the injured one. He spied a town in the distance and a rather threatening looking forest to his right. To his left was a slightly more welcoming forest, so he made for that.

One satisfied he was deep enough in, he took a moment to examine the weapon, noting its similarities to the one's he had trained with. Pulling it up to his shoulder, he smiled when he looked down the scope and the forest around him changed. He could actually see the animals in the forest in a red glow. He tracked one as it got closer, lowering the weapon to see a deer emerging from behind a tree.

Thermal through solid objects? Picking up a small stone, he wedged it onto a fallen log, moving over to the other side of the clearing. Looking at the side of the weapon showed three markings with a catch. The first was a circle with a diagonal line through it, the safety catch. The next two were the rate of fire selectors. Under them was a little button, currently glowing a faint green. Pressing it turned it red, and then back again. He left it set to red.

Tucking the rifle into his shoulder, Hollis thumbed the safety catch off, taking aim at the rock and squeezing the trigger. The flash of light almost blinded him, and once he had his vision back... the log, let alone the rock, was obliterated. He spent the next thirty minutes examining the weapon more thoroughly, and he was just about to test it again when a little girl's voice caught up to him. “Are you sure this is where it came from? We're getting awfully close to Diamond Dog territory.”

“Yes, I'm sure. There's no way those dog brains would be around after a spell gun had gone off! Now quit stalling Sweetie Belle, we're almost there!” The name registered in his brain as a little weird, but before he could move, two of the creatures entered the clearing so he pointed the rifle at them. He didn't pull the trigger once they were clear of the bushes.

Like the farmers, they were covered in fur and had tails sticking out of their backs. One was wearing sneakers, shorts and a tank top, and had a set of wings sticking out of it's back. It's fur was a shade of orange, it's hair a purple colour. The other one was wearing a pink summer dress with sandals. It's white fur showed easily against the foliage, it's pink and purple hair styled into curls. And then he noted the horn on it's head. Judging by what the red and beige ones back at the farm looked like, he surmised that these two were female. The trio stared at each other until a new voice broke through, the accent making Hollis' eyes widen.

“Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo! Where y'all at? Ah can't find ya!”

“Stay back Applebloommppph!!” Quick as a wink he had closed the distance, covering the creature's mouth and pointing the rifle one handed at the other. It didn't stop the bushes rustling once more as a third one came in, wearing kid's cowboy boots, denim coveralls and a chequered orange shirt covering her yellow fur, a pink bow adorning her red hair. She looked around and her eyes settle on the scene, before she turned and ran screaming towards the town.

A flash of light overhead and an explosion of the tree in front of her knocked her to the floor. Standing, she turned back to see Hollis pointing his gun in the general direction of the other two. Under normal circumstances, he would never, ever do this... but these were most certainly not normal circumstances, and he'd need to do anything to survive in the unknown, and quite possibly hostile, terrain. I feel like a damn terrorist, doing something like this.

Waving his hand for direction, he brought the run away back. He then pointed in the other direction, and gave her a little shove when she didn't move. Reluctantly they started to trudge on, and ten minutes later they emerged on what surmounted to an old quarry. It was here that they stopped all movement, refusing to go any further. Hollis soon found out why as four big creatures burst from the ground, looking to his prisoners with glee.

They jumped forward and grabbed them, turning to head to a massive cave opening. Oh hell no! They are my collateral! Raising the spell gun, which he had set to the 'green' mode, he shot the empty armed creature staring at him. It dropped to the floor from the impact, but it wasn't dead. Shifting his aim, he fired at the three others. The young girls were dropped to the floor, and sprinted back over to Hollis, using him as a shield and shaking lightly.

Turning his attention back to the other creatures, he saw that they were climbing back to their feet, growling loudly. Clearly these were the Diamond Dogs that the girls were worried about. Setting the gun to red, he aimed at the closest one and squeezed, ignoring the flash and watching as the beam of light cut a hole right through it's chest, the rocks on the other side of the canyon behind him exploding.

The other three paused for a moment before continuing their approach, albeit much slower. Hollis didn't even think twice as he took down two more. The last one looked up as he shifted his aim, but turned and fled. Hollis went to guide the girls away, but the ground started to rumble. Looking over to the cave, they saw a mass of dogs running towards them.

The three girls had already turned and ran to the nearest tree, attempting to climb it, but failing in their haste. Sprinting over, Hollis picked up the orange one and threw her onto the lowest branch. The other two waited as he did the same to them, and managed to climb up himself just as the dogs got to the bottom of the tree. They climbed up a few more levels to ensure they were out of range of their spears.. but then it became the waiting game.

After two hours of waiting, Hollis racked his brain, trying to work out why they hadn't just cut the tree down by now, but then he noted their weaponry. It was just spears, with stone heads, not metal. It would take them awhile to do so. Getting bored, he picked up the rifle and sat on the edge of the thick branch where he currently was.

Setting the selector for what he believed to be auto, he didn't even bother aiming as he fired, sending beams of light through the crowd. He lost count of how many shots he took, but eventually it stopped firing, a panel opening on the upper right side, and a glowing red cylinder flying out. It landed on one of the dogs under them, causing it to scream as it burnt through it's clothes and set them on fire.

Not bothering to watch it run off for water, he closed the panel, squeezing the trigger once more. Nothing happened. He set it to safe and then to fire, from red to green and all sorts, but it wouldn't fire. “You ain't from around here, are ya?” Hollis turned his head to look at the bow-topped girl.

“Not really, no.”

“Well then, that ain't gonna work again. Ya need another magic core to get it workin' again.”

“Magic core? What the hell is that?”

“A special gem that's infused with magic, and used to power multiple things, including that spell gun. It needs another one.”

“So they act like magazines?” The dogs below had stopped running, now standing and looking at them whilst laughing. Hollis pulled his M9 out and shot the nearest one between the eyes. “At least I still have this.” He pointed his pistol at another dog, but they moved away, not liking the weapon that fired something they couldn't see.

He noted that as he swept across them, they each flinched. Climbing down to the ground, they kept their distance. He waved the girls down, and they slowly backed to the nearest canyon wall, Hollis stopping to collect a pile of rope from a dead body. The dogs kept their distance still, not coming too close. The stopped their pursuit as their quarry made it to the tree line.

The three girls turned to run, but he jumped in front of them. The stopped short as he pointed his smaller weapon at them. Guiding them along the nearby rocky walls that turned to cliff faces, they found a cave to enter. Hollis pulled out a flash light from his pocket, sending the girls in before him. Once satisfied it was empty, he grabbed the rope and cut three lengths, binding the girl's hands behind their backs. He then sat them down on the floor and bound their ankles in one big tangle of limbs ensuring they had no escape, moving away and placing himself between them and the cave entrance, then clicked his flash light off.


The ponies in Ponyville's town square quickly moved to the sides of the streets as Princess Luna strode down the street, twenty heavily armoured Lunar Guards following... along with a strange looking creature. The whole group came to a halt moments later though. “STOP... WHATEVER YOU ARE!!! YOU'RE UNDER ARREST!!!!”

The glare that Luna gave the approaching local guard made him think twice, before she walked right up to his face. “Report.”

“Uh... nothing has happened in the past few hours, no new sightings, until now. May I ask, what's with the large contingent, your majesty?”

“The guard I sent down is capable of holding his own against six squads of griffons. He has never reported in later than three hours after heading to Ponyville. He left eight hours ago. We are heading to Sweet Apple Acres.” With that, she turned and walked off, the others following. It only took them half an hour, and the guards waited outside as Luna and Gray went in.

The human suddenly felt himself short of breath as a crimson juggernaut wrapped his hands around his throat, lifting him from the ground and squeezing tightly. “'ow dare ya show ya bucking face around here again!! Ah'll kill yer for what yer did, but not before Ah find out what you did with mah sister!” Gray tapped feebly against the muscular arm to little effect as his vision started to fade. It wasn't until a green fist smacked the red face he was finally let go, slumping to the floor in a coughing fit, looking up to see his saviour.

“Big Mac, Ah am ashamed o' you! This ain't even the same fella! Now you git outta here before Ah smack you again!” Thoroughly cowed, the massive stallion slunk off, slamming the door behind him. “That colt's going get in a lotta trouble with that temper o' his. Here, let's get you up youngin'.” Surprised by the strength in the elderly mare's body, he gave a relieved sigh as he was now safe. He then noted Luna was not with him, and the mare next to him pointed towards the kitchen.

Upon entering he found her sitting on the kitchen floor with Alec's head in her lap, running a hand through his mane as he lay there unconscious, a bandage placed over his chest. Luna then spoke, not looking up once. “What... what happened?”

“Somepony like this fella showed up and kept me and Mac in t' house. Alec came by and managed to get him on the ground. Ah ain't sure what happened next, 'e managed to get 'is gun. Alec tried to fight 'im, but that fella was trained different. 'e then took off running towards Whitetail.”

“Why is he unconscious?”

“Our pain medication weren't enough for him, so Mac had t' smack him under. Tenacious bastards took five punches to the jaw before he didn't open 'is eyes again!”

“That sounds like him. Granny Smith, I have a favour to ask. Can you look after Alec whilst we go and... 'look' for the other human?”

“A human... that's what you fellas are called, huh? Yeah sure, I'll watch him for yer. I'll even give him a whack fer comin' on 'is own, no matter how good 'e thinks 'e is!” With the utmost care, Gray helped Luna carry him into the front room, lying him down on the couch. They left the house and prepared to move when a flash made the guards raise their guns. They lowered them slightly once they recognised the pony. Only it wasn't a pony.

Gray stared slack jawed at the new creature, it's body the same shape but it seemed to be covered with some kind of chitin, it's legs having holes through them, and reptilian eyes. She gave Gray a curious look over as she approached Luna. “So... what did you call me all the way out her for? You may have bested me, but it doesn't mean you can dictate what I do!”

“Oh I know that, this is for our mutual benefit. Then you can go back to your whorehouse. What, no retorts?”

“Let's just get this over with.”

“Fine. Chrysalis, this is Gray. Gray, Chrysalis. Now that's done, can you transform to look like him?”

“I will need some DNA to get it to work properly.” Gray then spent more attention on the conversation.

“DNA... what do you need that for?” The strange mare didn't answer, instead forcing him into a kiss, forcefully slipping her snake like tongue into his mouth. After a minute of muffled protest, she pulled away with a smile.

“For this, silly.” Her body began to glow, the chitin slowly changing colour. It the became softer and smaller, turning into skin. Gray found himself staring at a naked human female. With a flash from her eyes clothing appeared on her, making her seem like any random person you could meet on the streets.

“Couldn't you have used a hair or something?”

“Yeah, but this was more fun.” Gray glared at her whilst Luna briefed everypony present on her plan.


Their tears had ran dry a couple of hours ago, not knowing whether they were alone or not in the darkness. Now all that could be heard was the sound of struggling, the three fillies trying to get free of their bindings. They couldn't even call for help, their throats hoarse and dry from already shouting. They had even tried to roll out in a bundle, but they just ended up further in the cave, where it was nearly pitch black.

The sudden light shone on their faces made them shut their eyes. Being the closest, Applebloom felt somepony sit her up, and felt something pressed against her lips. She jolted back as she opened her eyes, looking up fearfully. “It's just water, I promise.” The sloshing of water in the canteen was too tempting pass up, so she pressed forward and drunk as much as possible.

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were next, and then they were plunged into darkness once more. They struggled again, but still to no avail. Sweetie Belle turned around as best she could to what she thought was the cave's entrance. “Why are you doing this?”

“Insurance. As long as I have you and no one knows where you are, I'm safe.”

“How long are you going to keep us here?”

“As long as it takes.” That was it, the damn walls broke once more, the three fillies bursting out in tears. If it affected him, he didn't show it, but it really tore him up inside. He couldn't let them go, not until the uproar from what he did died down. After around twenty minutes, his ears perked, hearing a noise from outside. “Shh, I hear something.”

“Hello? Anyone there?”

“We're lost, we don't know how we got here or where we are. Can somebody please help us?”

He got up and they heard him walk away, then silence once more. Five minutes later they heard a boot hitting the cold stone floor, but this one had come from behind them. Three red dots appeared from the darkness, and they closed their eyes, waiting for the strike.

It never came, their bonds being cut instead. Opening their eyes revealed two more sets of dots, before a glowing object appeared, getting slowly brighter. Once at a sufficient level, they made out the uniform of three Lunar Guard pegasi, who removed their night vision goggles. Contrary to popular belief, their eyes were just the same as any other pony's, and the dark affect them just a much. The three fillies, now that they were free, jumped around the neck of the pony closest to them.

The pegasi slipped their goggles back on and began to walk out, turning them off as it got brighter. They slipped to a pre planned position and watch as Gray and Chrysalis walked around a clearing, then stopped and looked to their side. Another human male appeared, carrying a customised spell gun. He looked around at first and the moved clear of the trees.

And that's when their counterparts struck, surrounding the human with their guns drawn. The unknown human took in the situation and gripped his rifle tighter... then dropped it. Luna walked out from behind him, staring into his eyes. The guards had to stifle their laughter as she punched him in the face.

Ten pegasi surrounded him and carted him off to the local cells. The three guards that had the fillies made their way down, stopping in front of the princess. Luna immediately bent down and hugged them all, making sure they were all right. They backed away as Gray came over, but he stopped when he saw their discomfort. “Girls, it's okay, he won't hurt you.”

Leaning around her side, they watched as he approached the guards that had picked the weapons up... or were going to. Having never seen a human weapon, they were a little reluctant to pick it up. Gray didn't have a problem, and a couple of guards gripped their rifles tighter as he did so. He ejected the magazine and pulled the slide back, a single round dropping out. He then pointed it at the ground and pulled the trigger, a click going off and he clicked the safety on afterwards.

To the group's surprise, he passed it to one of the guards, hand grip first. “There, it's safe now. It won't go off.” The guard took the pistol and shoved it into his sack, then approaching Luna and passing her the spell rifle. She looked over it intently before gasping.

“This is Alec's!” The fillies perked up then, excitement in their faces. Luna turned towards the tug on her trouser leg, finding Scootaloo looking up at her.

“Alec? Is he here?”

“Yes, he's over at Sweet Apple...” That was enough, they tore off in the direction of the farm, and with a sigh the three pegasi guards took off after them. “...Acres. Hmmph. Chrysalis, you can go. Thank you for your help.”

“You're welcome... maybe you could send that stallion of yours by some time...” Luna didn't have a chance to respond as she transformed into a small bird and flew away.

“We should go too, Alec's not out of danger yet.”

“What do you mean?”

“The bullet could still be inside, we need to get it out.” Luna's eyes went wide, and she took the same option as her guards, flying towards the farm. Gray started to walk back, but gave a surprised shout as he felt arms wrap around his chest, one of the pegasi taking off with him to speed things along.


“It's good job your armour is enchanted up to Tartarus, or this could've been much worse. As it is, this... thing went in only a few centimetres.” The mare dropped the metal object into a tray set out on the couch next to Alec. “Any deeper and it could've punctured a lung.”

“Yeah, yeah. Can I go now, Redheart?” Pulling the bandage tight and making him wince, the nurse glared at the pegasus, and then stepped away.

“Yes, you can go. But you are not to go tracking that thing, especially as it got your gun!” Alec jumped up from the chair, running into the kitchen to check.

“Dammit, how am I supposed to sort this mess out now?” Before anypony could reply to him, the door slammed open and a multicolour blur smacked him to the floor, revealing a giggling pile of fillies, none of which noticed the pained expression on his face. “Ow.” Luna had caught up, and was standing in the doorway with her hands on her hips.

“Girls, please leave him be, he is injured.” They backed away and said sorry as Alec got to his feet, a pained smile on his face. They were further disappointed as she continued to speak. “A visit will have to wait, for now we need to return to Canterlot.”

Author's Note:

Whoops, forgot to add these three when I published the chapter!!!