• Published 6th Aug 2013
  • 26,241 Views, 1,320 Comments

The Sun's Knight - Lucky424



On the run for a crime he didn't commit, a young man finds himself lying at the foot of a dais...

  • ...
174
 1,320
 26,241

Chapter 11

After being led into the house by Twilight's mother, Gray was introduced to her father, who had kept hold of his spell gun. Next came Twilight's brother, and although not armed, was not very happy. He was then led into the sitting room where a fourth pony was located. It was another mare, an alicorn much like Twilight. Her fur was a light pink, and her mane was a mix of violet, rose and gold. “And this is Princess Cadenza.”

“Please, just Cadence is fine.” Gray dropped to one knee, taking a hand and kissing it, making the mare giggle. He also caught one of the stallions growling, but chose to ignore it, standing back up.

“A pleasure to meet you, your highness. I am Gray Heartbelle.”

“Oooh, he has manners. Twilight, I approve!”

“CADENCE!” Both of the elder mares began snickering, whilst the two stallions remained glaring at Gray. They were ushered out by Twilight Velvet, and Cadence motioned for Twilight and Gray to join her. Twilight immediately gravitated towards the large bookshelf, smiling as she looked over the many titles. Gray shook his head and sat opposite the other mare. “Hmm, you are very much like aunty Tia described. I can see why she likes you.”

“Um... what?” It was a fair question, they had only known each other for a few days, and the wink Cadence threw at him suggested something further going on. “She's a very nice woman... mare, sorry. Anyone that she classes as a friend should be grateful.”

“Hmm, yes, they should. Twilight tells me you're from another world. Is that true?” He just nodded in reply. “Amazing! Is it much like the one she has visited?”

“CADENCE!”

“It's not like it's classified or anything, it even made the papers. Anyway, it's inhabitants... she described them much like you. So I wonder if it is the same place.” Gray didn't know how to answer that. If Twilight had been to his world, then someone of her... physical characteristics and behaviour would easily stand out.

“No, I did not go to his world. If it were that simple, I would've suggested the mirror, but that is... different.” Gray felt his heart sink, for a moment he had visions of reuniting with his friends and family, and then it all went away. He sank back against the couch with a sigh, causing Twilight to look at him with concern. “Don't worry, I'm pretty sure I've got a way for you to get home... we can try tonight, if you wish.”

Twilight Velvet returned, informing them that lunch was ready. The trio followed her into the dining room, where the stallions already sat, on at each end of the rectangular table. Cadence sat down next to Shining Armour, Gray noting that she gave his hand a squeeze when he glanced at her. Twilight's mother sat next to her father, whom Gray still didn't know the name of, and gave his hand the same treatment.

The only seat left was opposite them, next to Twilight Sparkle, so he walked around the table and took his place. There was already a plate on the table, with a salad on top. A nod from the elder stallion and the rest began eating, Gray as well. The food was refreshing, seemingly divine... and then he hit something dry and coarse. He began to choke, and thumped his chest, his mouthful spitting across the polished dark word. Twilight's father stood up, shoving his chair back and glaring at Gray. “YOU DARE DISRESPECT ME IN MY OWN HOUSE, AFTER MY WIFE PROVIDES A MEAL FOR YOU?”

Gray managed to get his breath back, placing his hands on the table top and looking up at the stallion. “My apologies sir, but it appears there is something I cannot eat in the meal.”

“SO OUR LOWLY FOOD IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU, IS THAT IT?” Both Twilights and Cadence heaved a sigh, whilst Shining Armour watched on with a grin. To the surprise of all, Gray copied her father, standing and pushing his chair away.

“Okay, enough of this bullshit.” All three mares gasped, Twilight's eyes wide in shock. “I can tell you don't like me, both you and your son, but I don't know why. At first I thought it was because you thought that Twilight and I were involved. Well we are, in so much as she is the one helping me to get home, on another fucking world! So... you want a piece of me? You've got a pretty big garden, why wait?”

The tip of Twilight's father's muzzle twitched, and his ears flopped around. Then the most surprising thing happened. Both stallions began to chuckle, which turned into full blown laughter as the elder unicorn slapped a hand on Gray's shoulder. “Colt, you've got guts, make sure you use 'em. My name is Nightlight, and I welcome you into my house.” The three mares visibly relaxed then. “Now... what is it you can't eat? We'll see about getting you something different.”

Unsure of what to do, Gray's hands reached to his plate, rifling through the food until he reached whatever it was. He picked a piece out and held it up, a single strand of hay. Twilight Velvet immediately rose and took his plate away from him, coming back moments later and returning it. “I'm sorry, I didn't realise your species couldn't eat it.” The two males slowly sat back down and continued eating, whilst Cadence whispered into Armour's ear.

“Hmm, you're right there, sweetheart. Dad, now he has stood up to you, isn't it tradition that you offer your eldest daughter's hand in marriage?”

“SHINY! What is with you all, I can't marry him, no offence, Gray.” He just shrugged it off and continued his meal. “Besides, I already have a clotfriend.” Everypony present stopped and stared at her as she slapped a hand over her mouth, Nightlight growling slightly once more.


Dean stared at the two mares opposite him in the train compartment, smirking at how much they looked alike. The main differences were that Joy's fur had a slight pink to it, and her mane was a dark red. The mare sat next to her had a white coat and light pink mane, done up in a bun. “So then Redheart, any more disasters in town?”

“Not really, but I had to attend to Alec the other day. That stallion, always getting himself injured in some way or another. I wish I know what that item was though, and how to treat the wound.”

“It was a bullet, from a gun.” Both mares turned to look at him, Joy placing a hand on her sister, whose anger was slowly building. “I shot him, but only in self preservation. I'm... glad that he survived.” Redheart slumped back against the seat of the train carriage, her arms crossed.

“Really? You injure him, and are glad that he is alive? I find that hard to believe. Joy, I'm going to get something to eat, do you want anything?” The other mare shook her head, Redheart standing and leaving the compartment, slamming the door behind her. Joy looked back over at Dean and smiled weakly.

“I apologise for that little outburst. She only gets that way when she doesn't know how to help ponies.”

“It's fine, I understand. So I guess things are going to get quieter for you now? I mean, Twilight should be ready soon, so me and Gray will be leaving. I assume it's just back to treating training injuries and such?” Joy stood from the seat, slowly walking over and sitting next to him, taking his hand.

“Most likely, yes, but these past few days have been interesting for me. Meeting a new species, learning about them... and meeting you as well.” Dean turned around to look at her, noting her slightly pinker than usual cheeks, and that is when she struck. He suddenly found his lips pressed against hers, the mare's eyes shut. After a few moments she pulled away and opened her eyes, then let out a surprised squeak and moved to the seat opposite once more. “I-i-i'm sorry, I don't know what came over me! Please, don't be angry.”

Dean twisted around so that he was facing out of the window, watching as they emerged from the tunnel and into the mountains, high above the rolling fields that led to Ponyville. “Joy... how long until Canterlot?” The mare leant forwards and looked out of the window, gazing over the scenery.

“About two hours, we'll go straight to Princess Sparkle. And then... you can go home.” They looked at each other, both noting something in the other's eyes. They lost track of time, neither one noticing that the door had reopened, nor the mare now stood looking at them.

“Always going for the exotic ones. You'll never change, Joy.”


“Uh, that was horrible!” Gray couldn't help but snicker at Twilight as they waved at her family from the gateway. The guards had returned out of nowhere, two stood to either side of the street, and they matched the pace as the mare and human made their way back to the castle. “At least I kept his name a secret. It's nothing serious at the moment, anyway.”

“Yeah, sure, whatever you say, princess.” She just shot him an unamused glare, and ignored the snickers coming from the guards. She was the one that told them to relax around her afterall. Their route took them through the marketplace once more, which was busier in the afternoon. Gray noted more and more ponies looking at him, hushed whispers going through the crowd.

They eventually made it back to the castle entrance, at the same time as Joy and Dean, who both immediately bowed. Twilight giggled at them, and gently prodded their shoulders for them to rise. “Good afternoon, you two. Did you have fun?”

“Yes, your majesty.”

“Are you really friends with that pink demon?” Twilight giggled some more, then burst out laughing, fully understanding that Dean had met Pinkie Pie. She waved the guards away as they entered the castle, but they remained at their posts, causing the young alicorn to roll her eyes as she continued walking. Dean fell into step behind Gray and Joy, noticing one of the guards out of the corner of his eye. For a brief moment, he could've sworn that it changed to a pupil-less slits. He blinked a couple of times and the guard's eyes were back to the usual blue.

He shrugged it off and walked into the castle with the other three, Twilight leading them towards the throne room. Gray smiled as he noted that the court session had finished, Celestia slouched on her throne, with a hand across her face. “No, go away. Luna can deal with it when she returns.”

“Celestia, that is no way to treat your guest, is it?” The hand slowly moved, following the mare sitting up with a smile on her face. With a wave of her hand the guards backed away, and the group made their way up to the dais. There was a table with five seats ready, as if Celestia knew how many were coming, and they each took one. “So, I have some good news. With a little help from my brother and his shield spells, I think I can open a stable portal to your world. But... I don't know how much magic it's going to take.”

“Twilight, if you are not ready...” The younger mare shook her head, smiling over at Gray and Dean. “Very well. Are you both ready?” The pair looked at each other and nodded, so Celestia stood from her chair. “Twilight, if you would...”

“Okay, here we go.” She got up and walked to the centre of the throne room, closing her eyes and remaining still. Her horn began to glow, and a breeze started to form in the throne room, even though the windows and doors were sealed. “Dean, Gray, I need you both to think of home now!” The pair did that, and Twilight's eyes snapped open, a white glow emanating from them.

A white tear in the air of the room started to form, slowly getting wider, until it was large enough for easy transit. Dean and Gray looked on, trying to focus on the other side. And then they saw it, another world. After straining some more, their gazes drifted across a concrete structure and into a street, where more humans were walking around. “IS THIS YOUR WORLD?”

“Yes, that's Earth!” Gray stood from his seat, walking in front of Celestia and taking her hands in his. “Your majesty, it was an honour to meet you and your kind. I hope... that in time, in some way, we can meet again.”

“The same to you, Mr Heartbelle. I too hope we can rekindle our friendship in some way in the future.” She pulled him into a tight embrace, holding him for a moment before pulling away and kissing his cheek. He lifted her hands up and kissed the top one, pulling away and walking down the steps of the dais, turning towards Dean, who was saying his goodbyes to Joy.

“Dean... it was very nice to meet you.”

“And to you, Joy. I don't want to think where I'd be without you showing me any kindness. You even stood up to the guards for me. I'm... going to miss you, but if they ever find a way for us to return, I'll make sure I visit you.” She wrapped her arms around his neck, and he let his wrap around her back. He tried to pull away, but she held tight and looked up at him. He expected a kiss on the cheek like Gray, not the very passionate one that the mare drew him into.

She finally relented, Dean blinking his eyes open from the surprise. Joy smiled up at him and stepped away, leaving him to turn and join Gray at the foot of the steps, who had a massive smirk on his face. “So, meet anypony on your trip?”

“Ah, shut up. Let's just go home. I'm going be in the shit for going AWOL the past few days.” The pair walked towards the shimmering portal, slowing down as they noticed the room now full of guards, who were closing down on them. They could just make Twilight out on the other side, and saw one of the guards walk up behind her... and then strike her in the back of the head with his spell gun.

The portal flashed and distorted, then dissipated away as Twilight fell forwards, the two humans managing to catch her before she hit the floor. They looked up from the unconscious mare at the guards surrounding them, then to the dais as Celestia gave a cry of surprise, seeing some of the guards wrestling with her.

They managed to get her to the floor, one of them slipping a magic sealing ring over her horn as the others shackled her hands behind her back. Gray left Twilight with Dean as he tried to run up the steps, but one of the guards shoved him back down. A beam of light shot across the room and hit the fleeing mare. “NO!” Dean tried to get to Joy, but the guards had formed a solid ring around them, pushing them backwards.

The pair waited until they were very close and then acted, grabbing the spell gun of the nearest guard to them and opening fire. The guards backed away so that they had room to retaliate, the ones on the floor now revealed to be changeling drones. Gray and Dean stood back to back over Twilight, every guard with their guns aimed at them.

A gathering of light drew the entire room's attention, and they turned to see Celestia's horn glowing a bright gold. A beam of light shot out, the guards scrambling for cover... but it wasn't aimed at them. Dean and Gray had become enveloped in a gold aura, the guards laughing at them, and then they disappeared in a flash. One of the guards walked up to the heavily breathing mare, who had expended an enormous amount of magical energy to overcome the horn ring. “Who... ever... you are. You will... not get away... with this...”

The air around the guard started to shimmer, and a green fire surrounded him. Once finished the mare found herself staring into the soulless eyes of a changeling drone. More green flames made he look around the throne room, each and every guard inside now revealed to be a drone. She looked back up to the one holding her muzzle as it began to speak. “Really? Your sister is dealt with, none of your guards know we are here, and you have just sent your only hope of salvation to parts unknown. I think King Metamorphosis will be very happy with our progress.” Her vision finally went black as the magic expenditure caught her up.


“Rares, what are ya doin'?” The unicorn mare brought a finger to her lips, telling the earth pony to be quiet, then waved her over, and offered the eyepiece of a telescope. Applejack put her eye up to it and let it focus. “Ah don't understand. It's some mare... wait, Ah recognise that face... Rarity, what did ya do?”

“Moi? Why, I did nothing, that is the result of our friend Mr Heartbelle. A wonderful idea, don't you agree?”

“Rarity... Blueblood is a buckin' mare! What's supposed to be wonderful about that?”

“Oh Applejack... you really don't understand, do you. Very well, we shall leave it for now. Come, it is time for afternoon tea with Celestia.” The two left the balcony and out through the suite's inner door, where a group of ten guards formed up around them. “Oh wonderful, escorts! Don't you feel like a proper mare now, Applejack?”

“Whatever ya say, Rares. Ah wonder how long it will be before Twi can send those two hommpphh!”

“Applejack?” Rarity turned around to see four of the stallions had taken hold of her friend, and lit her horn to help. She gasped as her magic cut out, a ring being slid down to her forehead. Her arms were then grabbed and shackled behind her back, the same treatment being given to her friend. She went to scream for help but a hand came up and covered her muzzle.

The guards carried them down the steps, through a side corridor, and into the throne room, where they saw the prone forms of Twilight and Celestia at the top of the dais, adorned with shackles and horn rings. The pair were dumped down in the corner, next to the still body of Nurse Openheart. And then their 'escorts' were bathed in green flames, ten smirking changeling drones staring down at them


Dean and Gray doubled over as they began to cough violently from their first experience of teleportation magic. It felt like their insides had been pulled out, twisted inside out, and shoved back in upside down. Dean managed to get to his feet first, his training having been more rigorous than Gray's, and he stumbled a few steps before dropping to his knees. “WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED? WHAT WERE THOSE THINGS?”

“They were changelings, a race of shapeshifters. Dammit, we have to get back to Canterlot!”

“And how the fuck do you plan on us doing that? We have no fucking idea where we are!” Gray raised his head, looking around at the small plateau on the side of a mountain. There were two stones sticking out of the ground, the dirt at the feet recently disturbed. He pushed himself to his feet, Dean doing the same, and they wobbly made their way to the cliff edge.

“I know where we are. I helped Alec bury his family here. Look, over there... it's Ponyville.” Dean let his gaze follow the outstretched hand, and sure enough he could make out the top of some buildings. Gray turned around and started walking towards a dirt path, stopping briefly at the grave stones.

“Where the fuck are you going? Gray...”

“I'm going to a house by the woods. We're going to need somepony who knows how to fight changelings.”

“But what if those thing are in Ponyville?”

“We've got weapons, I think we can take them. Now, are you coming or what?” Dean looked to the vertical stones, reading the inscription carved into them.

Here lies Sonata

May she find peace

in her heaven.

Here lies Dawn,

Daughter of Sonata.

May the sun always

rise over her soul.

“Dean?” He looked over the cliff edge once more, smoke stacks rising above the tree line, and gripped his spell gun tighter.

“Let's get this done.” Together they started to jog down the mountain, not knowing that right then they were Equestria’s only hope.

Author's Note:

And how many of you thought that the shit hit the fan last chapter? That's nothing compared to this!!!