• Published 5th Aug 2013
  • 2,543 Views, 68 Comments

My Daughters - ThunderCracker



Dennis' life was dull and grey before, but all of that is about to change when he gets an unexpected surprise in a dying city.

  • ...
9
 68
 2,543

Friend Or Foe?

Dennis, Luna and Shining were walking around Canterlot having fun a usual. Dennis had placed a little park with some snow around it for that "old" touch to Wonderland. It was Luna an Dennis' favorite place to go when they felt bored, but how could they get bored of Wonderland? Good question... Dennis, Luna and Shining headed for the castle to marvel at the sight of the night. They walked over to the balcony and looked out to the open world around them then sighed in unison. Dennis wrapped an arm around Luna and Shining and brought them in for a hug.

"I love you two." He said.

"We love you too." They said in unison. Dennis chuckled and then his chuckle led to a cough.

"Dad, are you alright?" Luna asked.

"Yeah I'm fine, just a bit of a cold." He replied.

"Well come on, lets get back to the cabin." Shining said.

"I don't feel like I can fly right now..." Dennis coughed.

"Here I'll carry you down." Shining replied.

Shining walked over to Dennis and he laid down on his back. Shining easily carried him down to the cabin and to his bed. Dennis crawled onto the bed and lied on his back. A bowl of soup materialized in front of Dennis and he took a sip out of it. He sighed and placed it on the nightstand next to him. Luna crawled in bed next to him and laid her head on his lap.

"Dad? Are you going to be okay?" She asked. Dennis began stroking Luna's flowing mane.

"Of course Luna, it's gonna take more than a cold to bring my stubborn self down." Dennis snorted. Luna giggled and closed her eyes to sleep. Dennis made a fireplace and lit the wood to create a nice warming fire. Luna rose and looked at Dennis. Dennis stared into her teal eyes and smiled. Luna returned the smile and hugged him tightly.

"I love you Dad." She sighed.

"I love you too Luna." Dennis replied. Just then, something flew overhead, but only Dennis saw it. "I'm uh, gonna go outside for a little bit, stay here please." Dennis said getting out of bed.

"W-wait, where are you going?" She asked.

"Don't worry Luna, I'll be fine, now go on, go to sleep." Dennis answered walking over to Luna and kissing her on the head. Luna sighed with worry. Dennis placed his hand on her cheek. "I promise." He said lightly. Luna wrapped her fore hooves around his wrists.

"Okay..." She sighed. Dennis smiled softly and laid her down to sleep. She closed her eyes to sleep and Dennis pulled the blankets over her and tucked her in. He kissed her on the head and smiled.

"Good night Luna, love you." He said.

"Love you too Dad." She said sleepily. Dennis chuckled then walked out of the cabin and to wherever the thing that flew overhead went. He around to the back and was startled to see Nightmare standing there.

"GAH! Nightmare what the hell are you doing here?" He asked.

"I'm here to warn you, Dennis." Nightmare replied.

"About what?" He asked.

"Denise." Nightmare answered quickly.

"Don't you touch her." Dennis growled.

"I have no plans to harm her, just a warning to you." Dennis stayed quiet to allow Nightmare to continue, "Denise is not who you think she is. Stay alert when bringing her around your children, for she plans something I know not what. Be careful around her." She finished. Dennis looked questionably at her. Nightmare spread her wings and flew away. Dennis heard the cabin door creak open.

"Dad, what are you doing?" Luna asked.

"Nothing Luna, I'm- I'm coming." Dennis replied walking over to the door.

"Dad whats-"

"I thought you were asleep, what are you doing?!" Dennis asked.

"I- I was just worried, why are you so angry?" Luna asked choking up. Dennis sighed, he knew that Luna didn't like being yelled at, especially if its Dennis.

"Come here, come here, Look-look-look, I love you." He whispered hugging her tightly.

"I-... I love you too Dad." She replied sniffling.

"Come on, let's go to bed." Dennis said picking her up and bringing her to the bed.

They woke up later than ever. Dennis looked at his alarm clock and it was 8:00. Wait... 8:00! He fumbled out of the bed and thudded onto the floor. He grabbed his clothes and ran into the bathroom where he quickly took a shower. He stepped out of the shower and slipped on the tile floor.

"HOLY-" He shouted before falling on his back.

"Dad? Are you alright?" Celestia called through the door.

"Y-yeah I'm fine. Just slipped." He mumbled. He stood up and grabbed his towel and dried himself off. He put on his clothes ran out of the bedroom, grabbed his coat and sprinted out the door, slamming it behind him. He sprinted to the spot he met her in and stopped dead in his tracks. "Shit! My guitar!" He shouted running back to the house. He burst through the door and ran into the bedroom grabbing his guitar and sprinting out of the house.

"Whats up with him?" Shining asked.

"I dunno." Luna replied.

Dennis put his guitar on his back and sprinted down the sidewalk to the spot. After a few minutes of running around corners, hopping fences, taking shortcuts and being chased by random stray dogs; Dennis finally made it. Denise looked up from her book and saw him slowing down. He bent over and panted heavily trying to catch his breath.

"Hey... Denise." He said through his panting.

"Hey Dennis, I see that you're, almost late." She said with a giggle. Dennis chuckled and sat down next to her while pulling his guitar out of it's case.

"Here it is." He panted. He opened it and it wasn't in there. SON OF A... UGH!!! He thought. He remembered he left it on the couch last night when he was playing some songs. "Sorry..." He sighed rubbing the back of his neck.

"It's okay, we can just talk." Denise replied. Dennis nodded and then noticed that her red highlights were now green, and so were her eyes. He shook it off, because he didn't wanna sound weird. "So... whats your life like? Anything to do around here?" She asked, "I just moved here so, I really don't know much about this place." She finished.

"Well, you picked a bad spot to move. This place is kind crappy. Nothing much to do but sit around or do something to occupy yourself with until the day's over. But yeah, onto the other question; My life is pretty boring, dull, grey. But..." Dennis stopped. He didn't know whether or not he wanted to mention any of his children to her. He came up with an excuse fast, "Sometimes it could be fun, meet an old friend, get chased by a stray dog, or just, possibly go out and try to have fun." He snorted.

"What do you mean by that?" Denise asked.

"There's nothing fun to do around here." He replied in a deadpan tone.

"Oh..." She sighed. She then stood up and Dennis stood with her.

"Something wrong?" He asked.

"Nothing, just... tired..." She replied with a yawn.

"We've only been here for ten minutes Denise." He stated blankly. Denise's eyes darted everywhere and Dennis sighed. "Look Denise if you don't like me just say it..." He said in a heartbroken tone. Denise looked at him and opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out. Dennis looked away shamefully then walked off.

"D-... Dennis..." She called lightly, but Dennis kept on walking. Denise then ran after him and grabbed his arm. "Look, I'm so sorry, I just, really feel weird, this is my first time being out with a friend... if I even had friends..." She mumbled the last part.

"Wait, so, you've never had any friends?" He asked. Denise shook her head. "Well then you could have just told me." Dennis scoffed. Denise smiled lightly then hugged him. "I guess this is goodbye?" He asked.

"For now." Denise said with a growing smile.

They walked parted ways going their ways back home. Dennis walked into the house and saw Luna on the couch. She was lying on her back with a bucket of chocolate chip ice cream next to her, with a spoon in it. Dennis lightly chuckled and put the Ice Cream back in the freezer. He walked over to Luna and lightly picked her head up then rested it on his lap. Luna smiled lightly and rolled over crawling onto Dennis' lap. He began to stroke her flowing blue mane and she cooed lightly. Dennis was startled by a sudden crash in the kitchen. He looked back at Luna who was still sleeping happily. Dennis laid her head on the couch and walked into the kitchen. He saw Celestia on the floor with a plastic cup next to her. He rushed over to her and woke her up.

"Huh? What? Oh hey Dad, wha-" Dennis covered her mouth.

"Shh, your sister is sleeping," he whispered, " and what happened?"

"I was just so tired, you kinda woke us up at 8:00 today." She replied.

"Sorry, just didn't wanna be late." Dennis whispered.

"I can understand that... I guess..." She replied. Dennis smiled and helped her up.

"Alright, come on, come get some sleep." He said bringing Celestia into the bedroom. He laid her down then kissed her on the head and she fell asleep almost instantly. Dennis heard a thud come from the living room and he walked out of the bedroom to see Luna on the floor with her head raised looking around trying to figure out what happened.

"Oh hi Dad." She said lightly.

"Hel-lo, Luna." He replied walking over to her and hugging her tightly. "I love you." He said kissing her on the head.

"I love you too." She said sleepily returning the hug. Dennis laid her on the couch and then laid down next her. He pulled the covers over them and hugged Luna in a sleeping manner. Luna rested her chin on Dennis' shoulder. "Night Dad." She whispered.

"Night Luna. Love you." He replied.

"I love you too Dad." Luna replied hugging him.