• Published 6th Aug 2013
  • 7,717 Views, 300 Comments

Aged Scales - XineLegacy



Spike is returning from a long trip to Canterlot and the gang is planning a welcome back party for him. But what happens when his maturity is brought up? The Mane Six are about to discover a darker part of Spike no-one knew existed.

  • ...
30
 300
 7,717

Purple to Blue

"I'm Vinyl Scratch, your DJ for the night!" said the voice broadcasting to the whole room through the speakers. Let's start off with something for everyone's favourite little dragon, Spike! Come, on everypony! If you've got hooves, I wanna see 'em shakin'!"

Spike reluctantly headed over to the dance floor, which was right underneath the disco ball, away from the tables and furniture. He instinctively began bobbing his head to the music as everypony started dancing. He slowly got more into it, shaking his claws and moving his feet to the beet.

"That's the spirit Spike!" exclaimed Pinkie, bouncing towards him.

"Oh, you haven't seen anything yet." Spike tucked in his head, dropped to the floor and started spinning. He slowly rose into the air until he was balancing on nothing but his tail, still spinning. In one swift move, he then swung his tail over his head, flipped in midair and landed on his hands. He got onto his feet to see Twilight, Rarity and Pinkie clapping their hooves.

"Marvelous!" exclaimed Rarity.

"I didn't know you could dance like that, Spike!" said Twilight.

"Well, I had to do something in my free time in the Canterlot Library before we came to Ponyville, didn't I?" The next half hour passed with dancing, laughter and lots of Rainbow wingspins. Ponies took turns showing off their skills on the little stage near the entrance. By the end, nearly everypony (and dragon) was exhausted.

"All right all you Party Ponies!" said Vinyl over the speakers. "Let's tone the music down just a bit and rest those tired hooves. But it's not over yet! We'll get back to shaking our flanks in about an hour."

"Thanks for throwing me this really great party Pinkie," said Spike.

"Don't mention it, Spike!" she replied. "I love throwing parties! Now, who wants some more punch?" The six ponies and Spike all walked to the refreshments table.

"A toast," Rarity held up her cup. "To the cutest baby dragon in all of Ponyville!" They all raised their cups and drank as much punch as they could in one gulp. Rarity's description did not go unnoticed by Spike, and the thoughts that he had been having earlier returned to him.

"You know Rarity, I'm not exactly a baby on pony terms." he reminded her.

"Oh? What do you mean?" Her question irritated Spike even further. Was she really not aware about any of this? Didn't she know how old he was?

"Well," said Spike, his discontent now apparent in his voice. "You do know how old I am, right?"

"I don't believe you ever told us. Perhaps nine, maybe ten. Why? Is something wro-" She stopped mid-sentence to see the expression on the little dragon's face. Spike was stunned.

Nine? Ten?! Her words echoed inside his head. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. His mind could only think of what the unicorn had said, and, as the colour drained from his face, his body was overcome by pure instinct, with one objective.

Run. Far away.

In one swift move, he turned around and dashed out of the cottage, stopping only to fling the door open. He sprinted out of the clearing in front of Fluttershy's cottage and into the Everfree trees. He might have heard someone calling his name; he wasn't sure. He didn't care. Perhaps nine, maybe ten... The words kept repeating in his head. He ran through bushes, leaped over branches. He couldn't feel the pain from the bleeding cuts and scratches that began to appear on his limbs. He ran as fast as his little legs could carry him, and then ran faster. She thinks I'm a child?! He didn't stop nor slow down as the seconds which passed turned into minutes. He felt his exhaustion only as it hit its peak and stars began to form in front of his eyes. He stopped in front of a lake, collapsing into a heap of scales and tears on the forest floor.

******

"Spike!" Rarity called after him as he ran off. The party had now jerked to a halt, with everypony having seen what just happened. Twilight was also shocked at what Rarity had just said. She had no idea that the other ponies misunderstood him to such a degree. "What's wrong? Why did he run off?"

"Oh, this is bad," said Twilight her face in her hooves. "Pinkie could you just stop the party for now? I really need to tell you guys something."

"Oh, okay," said the pink pony, confused but in the understanding that something was wrong. "Everypony?" she began, addressing the crowd. "I'm afraid that we're gonna have to cut the party short. Please understand." After the initial commotion, ponies began to file out the door, many with confused or worried looks on their faces. Derpy was the last to leave.

"What happened? Is Spike going to be okay?" she asked before leaving. Twilight faked a reassuring smile.

"Don't worry Derpy. Everything's going to be fine." That seemed to be enough for the gray pegasus, and she fluttered out the door, narrowly avoiding the top of the door frame. The five ponies now stood in front of Twilight, confused and anxious to hear what she had to say.

"What happened to Spike there, Twilight?" asked Applejack uneasily. "He looked as if he'd seen a ghost." Twilight took a deep breath.

"Remember Rarity said that Spike never told you ponies his age? She was right. But he-I should have."

"Why? How old is he?" asked Rainbow Dash with her eyebrow raised.

"He's nineteen." All five ponies gasped in disbelief at Twilight's words.

"WHAT!?!?" shouted Rainbow, completely dumbfounded. Pinkie Pie and Applejack, on the other hoof, stood silently, their jaws hanging open.

"It's true. I hatched Spike when I was only four years old."

"B-but he...I..." stuttered Rarity. The thought that someone who she had thought to have been child was not much younger than her made her feel slightly queasy. Especially since that someone had been trying to win her heart ever since they had met.

"But Twilight!" exclaimed Fluttershy. "You told us that Spike was a baby dragon!"

"He is a baby dragon. For a dragon, nineteen years is very young. I can't believe I didn't think to point that out sooner. He may act slightly childish sometimes simply because he is technically a baby, but generally he has the maturity, knowledge and experience of a pony of the same age."

"I-I didn't mean to...I mean-"

"It's alright, Rarity. It wasn't your fault."

"Hey, shouldn't we go look for him? What if he got himself into trouble? The Everfree forest isn't a safe place for anypon-er, baby...dragon," Rainbow reminded them.

"She's right Twilight!" said Pinkie. "We'll split up!"

"Good idea Pinkie!" said Twilght. "I'll go straight, up north."

"Woah, woah, hang on there!" said Applejack. "The Everfree forest ain't a safe place for anypony! You said so yourself Rainbow." She paused for a moment. "Let's go in pairs! I'll go with you, Twilight."

"I'll check around the hills!" said Rainbow.

"Ooo! I'll go with you!" said Pinkie excitedly.

"Fluttershy and I can look near the lake," said Rarity.

"Great! We'll meet back here in an hour. Come on, ponies let's go find Spike!" finished Twilight. All three groups galloped out the door and went their separate ways. But as they charged along, they were oblivious to yet another fact. A fact that took its form in three pairs of eyes following them through the bushes.

"I wanna get them now!" said one of the creatures.

"No!" whispered another. "Patience. We'll have our revenge, just you wait.