• Published 6th Aug 2013
  • 7,720 Views, 300 Comments

Aged Scales - XineLegacy



Spike is returning from a long trip to Canterlot and the gang is planning a welcome back party for him. But what happens when his maturity is brought up? The Mane Six are about to discover a darker part of Spike no-one knew existed.

  • ...
30
 300
 7,720

Return of the Dragon

Twilight galloped excitedly through the outskirts of Ponyville as Celestia's Sun reached its peak in the sky. Today was the day. The day which she had been waiting for. Spike's train was to be in during the afternoon. Pinkie Pie had told all of the girls to meet her at Fluttershy's cottage to see the preparations for Spike's Welcome Back party at noon. She slowed to a trot as the distinctive animal-friendly building became visible on the horizon. She began wondering as to what Pinkie could have done to the place.

Maybe Pinkie put up one of those confetti parties with lots of music. Or maybe it's going to be a bit more formal, she thought to herself. Ah, well. Whatever that party pony did, I'm sure it's gonna be great. And that's the only certainty. She stopped as she reached the door, took a deep breath and knocked three times. Almost instantly, it flashed open as a face she knew all too well greeted her with a smile.

"Twilight!" exclaimed Pinkie. "You're the first one here! Come on in!"

"Thanks Pinkie. I'm sure it all looks great!" she replied as Pinkie bounced towards the living room.

"Oh, hello Twilight," said Fluttershy as she peeked around the corner. "I was just working with Pinkie on the finishing touches. Come take a look!"

Twilight happily obliged and followed Pinkie in. As soon as she set hoof into the the large room, she could not help but gasp in awe. Balloons had been hung in all four corners of the room and there was a disco ball hanging from the tall ceiling. There were large speakers at the corners of the room as well, and they were connected to an appliance that was Vinyl Scratch's unmistakable signature mixing table, which was located across from the entrance. There was also a small stage set up across from the mixing table, with a mic stand on its surface. At the center of it all was a dining table with empty plates for refreshments set down around a large plate in the middle for the cake.

"Pinkie I...I don't know what to say!"

"You can say you like it!" said Pinkie, bouncing with excitement.

"I don't like it. I love it!" exclaimed Twilight. "Thanks so much you guys! This is going to be the greatest party Spike's ever seen!"

"Anything for such a great little guy," said Fluttershy with a smile.

Knock knock!

"I'll get it!" said Pinkie excitedly. She opened the door to see Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Rarity standing there. "Hi guys! Are you ready to see my party preparations?"

"We're as ready as we'll ever be, Sugarcube," said Applejack happily. The three ponies followed Pinkie into the room.

"Oh my, Pinkie! You've really outdone yourself this time!" exclaimed Rarity.

"Yeah, it all looks great," said AJ.

"As usual," added Rainbow Dash

"Thanks, guys! It was easy with Fluttershy's help."

"Oh, Pinkie. You did most of it," said the yellow pegasus.

"Hey that's Vinyl Scratch's table, right?" asked Rainbow Dash. "Sweet! This party's gonna be great!"

"Alright everypony," said Twilight. "Spike will be arriving at around four. I'll pick him up and bring him here. Pinkie I'm counting on you to have everypony in place and every goody on the plates by then."

"Aye, aye, Captain!"

"Ah can't wait to see the little dragon, again! Applebloom is mighty excited too!" said AJ.

"We all are," said Rarity. "He's such a darling. I miss having him around at the boutique."

"Really?" asked Twilight. "Doesn't it bug you the way he's trying to impress you all the time?"

"Oh, Heavens no! He's always so helpful and caring."

"You mean he doesn't annoy you at all?"

"Well there was this one time where he became paranoid of stallions trying to ask me out..."

"What did he do?" asked Pinkie.

"He cut the telephone lines and barricaded the door."

All six ponies shared a hearty laugh.

******

The Canterlot Express chugged down the track as sunset approached. A small purple and green dragon was sitting alone in a cabin waiting excitedly for his stop. It had been a month since he'd seen Twilight and the gang. A month since he'd seen Rarity...

Spike thought about all that he'd done in the past month. It had been work, work, work. He had been working with Princess Luna on ancient history, dreams and, most importantly, dragons. He had learned more about his own kind in the past month than he had learned in the past five years. He had even tried out some of the firebreathing forms and techniques and, unsurprisingly, he had shown exceptional skill in spellbreathing. He couldn't wait to show Twilight that he could now cure illnesses with fire. And he couldn't wait to show Rarity his new gem hunting and styling abilities. Although, he was disappointed to learn that there was no fire spell that would allow him to grow a moustache. As the train neared the station, he stood up and grabbed his bag.

He had grown quite a bit in the past month. He had learned that dragons experience growth through a series of short but large growth spurts. He was now experiencing his second growth spurt, and it was almost over. He was now as tall as the average pony's leg and, by the end of this spurt, he would nearly be able to see eye-to-eye with most ponies.

The train screeched to halt and Spike excitedly carried his bag to the exit. As the doors slid open, he saw Twilight standing there, waving and calling out his name.

"Spike!"

"Twilght!" said Spike as he ran over to the purple pony and into a hug. They embraced each other for what seemed like only a second, although two minutes passed. "I missed you so much, Twilight."

"I missed you too, Spike," she replied, setting him down. "Even with all the ponies around I just felt so...lonely."

"Well I'm here now!" said Spike.

"Yes, and you've gotten so much taller!"

"I have so much to tell you, Twilight!"

"Well, I don't have much to report so you can tell me everything on the way to Fluttershy's cottage."

"Why are we going there?"

"Oh, I just have a quick errand to run. Hop on!" Spike began to mount Twilight when a thought occurred to him.

"Actually, I think I'll go on my own."

"Really? Are you sure? It's a long walk you know."

A devilish grin spread across Spike's face. "Who said anything about walking?"

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"Grab my hand, Twilight."

"Why?"

"Just do it."

Twilight obliged, wondering what in Equestria he was about to do. Spike, meanwhile, began concentrating. He took a deep breath and tried to think of nothing but Fluttershy's cottage. He began blowing a steady stream of green fire that circled its way around him and Twilight. Twilight gasped and tried to let go but Spike held her hoof firmly. The fire began encompassing the duo and formed a small cocoon around them. The flame began to close in on the two and Twilight began to panic, but then realised that the flame didn't affect her at all aside from a tingly feeling in her legs. Ponies walking by stopped and stared in awe at the controlled blaze. The flame collapsed in on itself and quickly disappeared with a loud pop!