• Published 14th Sep 2013
  • 21,463 Views, 1,888 Comments

Villainous - CrypticMetaphor



A human takes a path that many in his situation have never taken before.

  • ...
204
 1,888
 21,463

Chapter 21: Gold Knife in the Dark

Night had taken the land immediately; all was quiet except for the drumming of metal on stone and dirt. The Brazen Ponies gazed around sharply and continued along their way without pause. However, a shape slinked past their patrols with ease. One might mistake the mare in the cloak for a phantom, or the grim reaper, except he doesn't work on holidays. The shape teleported and dashed from shadow to shadow avoiding the red glares of the machines with practiced efficiency. The mare had only done such techniques like this once before in the Crystal Empire, they wouldn't catch her. Soon she was clear of the small town she and her cohorts had stayed in and boarded the train which left toward Canterlot. While this occurred however, Twilight Sparkle had awoken for a drink of water and noticed two things. One was that her sharpening stone for her kitchen knives had been used, and the fact that there was a note on the table.

The note was short but ominous, Dear Twilight, Jasper has been on the throne long enough. The fact that none of you are willing to go the extra yard is just stupid, granted, you shouldn’t cross that line. But since I almost did once, who better than me to do it? Do NOT try to stop me. Sunset Shimmer.

Twilight widened her eyes in horror and whispered, “Sunset, what have you done.”

*

The halls of Canterlot castle were as silent as a tomb when Sunset teleported into the throne room. She quickly glanced around to make sure Jasper wasn’t lurking in the shadows ready to pounce, she found nothing. She sighed and started to silently skulk through the halls she had once called home, the castle she adored more than anything now gave her chills. She always had the sense something was lurking near her, watching her every step as she advanced, waiting. She shook her head as her pace quickened; she glided silently passed several changeling guards and Brazen Ponies before she found her prize. The royal bed chamber doors loomed above her, her magic engulfed the steel handle of her gold dagger as she brought it from its sheathe. She silently pushed the doors open with her magic as she entered. She froze when she heard snoring on the ground, Sunset’s glance found Ignatius sound asleep on a small bed with his tail sticking out. She glowered at the appendage and approached the bed; a lump was under the covers as her eyes glinted. She raised the knife above her head and plunged it deep into the lump repeatedly.

“You’re buying me a new comforter you know.”

Sunset whirled around as Jasper slowly walked out from behind the door, “Well, well, well,” he smiled with dark glee, “the prodigal daughter returns.”

Sunset brought the slashed at the human with the knife. Jasper raised his hand to blast it away, but the blade cut through the magic pulse and sparks flew up. Jasper backed away in sudden surprise as Sunset smirked, twirling the knife in a flourish.

“You’re not the only one who knows about gold,” her magic flashed along the blade and it extended to sword length, “I even know a few tricks to manipulate it in its solid state, but your armor’s got some heavy duty stuff in it. I hate to say it, but good form.”

Jasper summoned his own blade as he and the mare backed into the hallway, “You know I sort of respected you for how you planned everything out when you went through the mirror. THAT, was quite a feat,” Jasper took quick swings which Sunset countered one at a time as they soon found themselves in the throne room.

Jasper and the mare exchanged fierce blows as red and gold sparks flew into the dark air of the castle. Sunset grit her teeth as she pushed forward which pushed Jasper back toward the mirror, she smiled as she shot a bolt of energy at the glass surface. Jasper glanced back in shock only for the mare to tackle him through the magic looking glass. Jasper fell on his back hard and his vision swam slightly, but he regained his senses when Sunset barreled through the portal like a hunter. She brought her sword down toward his head, only for his weapon to block it quickly.

“How did you unfreeze the portal?!” Jasper pushed her back as best he could, “It’s not possible!”

Sunset smirked, “Maybe you shouldn't have left your cheat sheets lying around.”

Jasper growled in anger as he kneed her in the stomach. Sunset gasped in pain as she was shoved off, the red crystal blade of his sword soon burying itself where her neck was. Sunset barely managed to avoid the attack, a small knick having opened on her neck. She clutched her neck on instinct and glanced at the blood that was on her palm.

“Hurts eh?” He twirled his blade in the air, “there’s more to come. But why bother fighting me? There’s no trick that you or Twilight know that I can’t trump.”

Sunset sighed as she shoved the blade into the dirt, “There’s one trick I can do still that you don’t know about,” she opened her palm revealing the Element of Magic’s gem, “I am one good pickpocket.”

Jasper raised an eyebrow as Sunset held the gem up, “You think you’re a monster?” She smiled almost evilly, “you don’t know anything about monsters.”

The gem began to glow with her teal magic, but shutting her eyes in concentration the magic aura turned to that of dark magic akin to Sombra, “Find the feeling I felt on that day,” Sunset’s eyes opened as they started to glow white, “and embrace it!”

There was a massive discharge of corrupted magic which rocketed to the sky as the student body recognized it. They all backed up as the aura faded, revealing a familiar demonic creature.

Sunset narrowed her eyes at the human, “Now,” the sword levitated to her hand as the gem levitated into her pocket, “Let’s see who’s the bigger monster.”

Jasper started to laugh hysterically as he glanced at the demon girl, “Finally a challenge,” his cape was engulfed in energy as they took on a membrane like appearance and he took flight, “have at you then!”

Both villains then clashed in the sky as a boom akin to thunder rang out across the school. Both blades clashed in fast flurries of skill and power, each point of contact sent small magical shock waves ringing across the sky. Demon Sunset brought her left claw back and blasted Jasper point blank through the roof of the gym. Demon Sunset laughed as she touched down, but she fell silent when she noticed the debris but no body.

“Where are you?” Her demonic eyes searched the area and found nothing, “Hiding won’t help you.”

“Who’s hiding?”

Jasper appeared out of thin air and brought his right fist into her diaphragm. Sunset gagged as black blood flew from her mouth and onto Jasper’s armor. Jasper gripped her throat with his left hand, the blades dangerously close to Sunset’s face as he hurled her into the adjacent wall. Jasper turned at the sound of her weapon clattering to the ground, which he sliced in half before advancing.

“Is that all the great Sunset Shimmer can do? How disappointing and yet,” he taunted her with a smile, “expected.”

Demon Sunset growled as she brought her hands back, fire magic roaring to life above her head.

“BURN IN HELL!” She let loose a massive geyser of her magic at the human.

Jasper dismissed his sword as he raised his right hand, a blast of raw red energy equal in size smashing into the inferno. Both combatants narrowed their eyes in cold fury as the various energies burned and destroyed the surrounding area. Sunset smiled victoriously as her magic started gaining some leverage and distance. She cackled as the magic started to reach the now straining human.

“It seems King Jasper is about to be dethroned!” She mockingly pointed out.

Jasper’s worried look vanished as his expression was replaced with one of malicious intent, “Not really, I was holding back. I wanted to see if you were worth the effort,” the gem released a surge of light from itself which in turn added to the current blast, “now perish.”

The blast then rebounded on the demoness and she was hurtled to the ground. Her demonic shape having evaporated, she glanced around in fear as the gem was taken from her. Jasper slowly advanced on her like a lion ready to devour a zebra. Sunset scrambled to her feet and ran through the halls, stopping briefly at a supply closet and quickly grabbing something before rushing around the corner. Jasper ran after her, his cape billowing behind him. But when he reached the hall that she turned down, a huge hammer head rounded the corner and smashed into his chest plate knocking him down hard.

Sunset stood over him with her sledgehammer and proclaimed, “I’m ending this now!”

Jasper growled in rage as he raised his hand quickly, “Finally something we agree on!”

The blast knocked Sunset off her feet and through the air. She crashed through the glass of the doors and rolled down the concrete stairs hard. She was coughing and moaning in pain as she tried to stand, but a firm boot planted itself on her spine causing her to cry out in pain.

Jasper glared at everyone else and yelled, “ANYONE ELSE!? Care to test yourselves against me?!”

Jasper glanced down once again at the human Sunset Shimmer with mild amusement, “Attempting to flee after an assassination attempt on your beloved ruler?” He chuckled, “This isn’t going to look good at your trial.”

Sunset glared daggers at him, “You’re no ruler of mine human!”

Jasper raised an eyebrow as the two blades on his left hand glinted, “Oh really? Then who is?”

Sunset stood up but never broke eye contact, “Princess Celestia and Luna, they’re better rulers than you’ll ever be.”

“I could kill you in an instant for those words,” His glare became dark and foreboding causing some spectators to back up.

Sunset did not yield under the glare, “I dare you.”

Jasper smirked at her before turning to the portal, “I’m not going continue this petty combat with a traitorous witch of a pony.”

Sunset growled in anger and leapt for his gauntleted arm. Time slowed to a crawl as the gem flashed, Sunset did not notice the fact that Jasper was moving faster than her. He whipped around and brought his left hand up; the screams that followed pierced the afternoon air like sirens. His blades came down in a sharp arc and slashed Sunset Shimmer vertically downwards on her right eye. Time snapped back to normal as she thrashed on the ground clutching her injury. Jasper stared coldly at the screaming girl and raised his right hand. A red glow enveloped the fiery haired girls head as he turned back to the portal.

“Consider me repairing your eye a gift,” he then pointed at her, “it will function normally and will not be wounded. HOWEVER, the scar’s you shall receive shall serve as a mark of not only your defeat, but as your curse. For whenever you look upon your face and see those wounds may you remember all of the dark and traitorous acts that you have ever committed in your life.”

Jasper turned to enter the portal, “And if you think of coming back to Equestria again I won’t scar you,” he raised his bloody blades, “I’ll rip you to pieces and feed what’s left to the Everfree Forest.”

Jasper reappeared in the throne room of Canterlot and regarded the mirror with distaste. He turned his attention to a pair of Brazen Ponies.

“5 and 6, take this relic back to the Crystal Empire,” he looked at it once more, “it disgusts me.”

The Brazen Ponies nodded and left with the mirror as Jasper went back to his bed chambers. He glanced down at Ignatius and placed an envelope beside him before he left the dark room.

*

Morning arrived and Ignatius was still gazing at the letter that had been left to him.

Ignatius felt tears stain his eyes as he read it for the tenth time, Iggy, when you read this I’ve most likely already departed to Chrysalis’s kingdom to inform her of the same thing, it is no longer safe for either of you. I realized after much time that my mind is fleeting with each day, granted this was unexpected, but not entirely without foresight on my part. I’m unsure if the threat will come from the rebellion or myself, but know this, you are like a brother to me and I want you to be safe. Go to the changelings after you read this; watch over Chrysalis and my heir when it’s born, be its friend. I’ll find you three…..one day. Jasper.

Ignatius sucked in a breath and cleared his eyes, “Alright.”

The dragon soon departed and steeled a glance back at the city as a flash of red appeared from within, “Goodbye Jasper, live long and prosper.”

The black baby dragon then vanished from the sight of those who would seek him.