• Published 21st Feb 2012
  • 1,006 Views, 29 Comments

The Storm's Challenge - OneLonelyPickle



Rainbow Dash prepares for a series of flying races dubbed "The Storm's Challenge". Nopony is prepared for what's in store...

  • ...
3
 29
 1,006

33 - A Sorry and a Hug

Chapter 33

-

A Sorry and a Hug

The summer heat formed a wavy, breath-stealing haze, slowly sapping away everypony’s energy. Rarity, Applejack, and Fluttershy were sauntering toward the centre of Ponyville. It was a chance at a lucky break, as Boozebeard and Ms. VeeVee had agreed to continue the shop operations in Canterlot without them.

Applejack looked around with an attentive yet tired eye as the group walked. There was at least one pony wearing a medallion of the EFL wherever they went. Usually it was the bronze medallion, the one that the volunteers and junior members would receive. Once or twice it was a silver medallion, noting a fully-fledged member. The group passed a few EFL booths as they made their way, which were handing out medallions and prescribing tasks to volunteers. Applejack grumbled to her companions.

“Ah dunno, girls. Whole thing’s still got me a bit jittery.”

Rarity brushed a wave of mane out of her face. She was dressed in a glowing, sequined, violet dress, flowing all the way down to just above the ends of her hooves and back behind her. She hummed in thought.

“Hmm, you really think so, Applejack? It’s certainly not the most vogue of fashion accessories.” Rarity watched a couple of young stallion friends hoof-five as they put on their bronze EFL medallions and ran off. “But it is accessible to the masses! Plus, what’s the harm in ponies taking a liking to the Flyers League? If you ask me, the Wonderbolts should have thought of the medallion thing years ago! It’s great for publicity!”

Rarity stared at the dark circles around Applejack’s eyes and stifled a snicker.

Annnnnnd… maybe someone’s a tad cranky after being up all night with the Cutie Mark Crusaders, hmm?”

Applejack stopped and rubbed her forehead, annoyed.

“Nah that ain’t it, Rare. Ah ain’t cranky! Though Ah could use a nap…” Applejack shook her head and lightened up her expression. “It’s just, why’s all this happenin’ right now before the races? The League’s been around just as long as the Wonderbolts. They coulda come up here anytime they liked for ‘publicity’ but we’ve never so much as seen ‘em around these parts before a few days ago!”

Fluttershy remained silent as the trio reached the balloon launch pad. Thoughts mulled over in her head.

Should I say something? I mean, Bushwhacker told me — well, it’s probably nothing.

She looked over at Applejack’s worried expression. Rarity was much more relaxed and tried to calm her friend down. Fluttershy retreated back inside her nagging brain.

Applejack’s suspicious and so am I, but is this really fair to the EFL and Maelstrom? With what Bushwhacker told me earlier — oh, what do I say? Should I say something?

A pair of Maelstrom’s guards, suited in emerald armor shining bright in the afternoon sunlight, walked by. They looked at Fluttershy, Applejack, and Rarity with a firm, neutral expression.

“Afternoon, ladies,” one of them said, deep and commanding.

Applejack stared cautiously and tipped her stetson.

“Afternoon, boys…”

Rarity did a bit of a flourish with her dress and hat before batting her eyelashes, and the two guards exchanged a glance and a smile. Fluttershy retreated behind her mane as Applejack lightly shoved Rarity. The two guards continued on their way.

“What was tha’ all about?” Applejack asked with a huff. Rarity blew some air out of the side of her mouth.

Whhhhhatt?” Rarity jokingly whined, “I was just having a bit of fun with the boys in green, as they say! You really do need that nap, Applejack, honestly. You’re acting just like Pinkie Pie was before with her Pinkie Sense” — Rarity raised a hoof and spoke matter-of-factly — “And may I remind you that Spike and Pinkie carried out their little game of detective and found nothing out of the ordinary about Maelstrom!”

Fluttershy opened her mouth to speak. “I—” she began. Both mares looked at her expectantly. Fluttershy decided against what she was going to say and cleared her throat. She sighed.

“I was just going to say, umm, we should probably see if Rainbow’s at home first. She did, you know, lose the race after all. M-maybe she’s not training with the Wonderbolts anymore.”

The group boarded the balloon.

“Good idea, Fluttershy,” Rarity replied. The balloon attendant was one of Maelstrom’s guards. Applejack sighed with exasperation.

“Jeez, you too?” she asked. The guard just looked back emotionlessly.

“Where are you ladies off to this afternoon?”

Applejack nearly snapped back.

“Off to see a friend in Cloudsdale, if we ever make it there! If you’d be so kind, sir…”

The attendant narrowed his eyes and released the rope knot keeping the balloon in place on the ground.

Rarity smiled.

“I must say, I do find their armor quite dashing, compared to the Canterlot guard. Emerald is in season this year, you know!”

Applejack made an annoyed noise as if tripping on what to say.

“Tsh — Rarity! That ain’t the point! Dontcha get it? Why are Maelstrom’s guards in Ponyville? Do ya see Maelstrom anywhere? Comon now, this is definitely not normal!”

Rarity’s rising inflection gave away her growing annoyance.

“VeeVee already explained that, didn’t I tell you, Applejack? Maelstrom’s guards have taken on the duties of the Canterlot guard for the duration of the races, in order to give the Canterlot guard a break. Think about it: Maelstrom brought this entire spectacle to Canterlot driving thousands of ponies to the city!” Rarity raised a hoof and shook her head as if she couldn’t believe Applejack’s doubts. “Can you imagine the cost and time constraints to have all the guards perform their usual duties on top of keeping the peace when there’re all these rambunctious sports fans in town? Maelstrom wanted to grease the wheel, so to speak, so that Celestia would let him hold the Storm’s Challenge. He offered to have his guards handle security so the Canterlot guard didn’t have to! What about that sounds suspicious to you?”

Applejack wobbled a bit in her tiredness and shot back at Rarity.

“Uhhh, I dunno Rare… the whole thing?! Am Ah just going crazy or something here?”

Fluttershy leaned over the edge of the balloon and peered below as Ponyville got further and further away. She drowned out her arguing friends.

Bushwhacker…

* * *

Earlier that day

Fluttershy searched Pepperheart Field, pep in her wings. She looked around nervously.

Oh, which one was it again?

She scanned the numerous tents that had been set up for the EFL. The tented part of the field was nearly deserted, as almost all the members were training at their replica Saddlebred Citadel. Finally, her eyes fell on a tent she was sure was Bushwhacker’s.

“There!” she said with a smile. She zoomed forward and stopped at the entrance flaps. She cleared her throat and poked her head inside.

“Bushwhacker?” she asked.

Sure enough, the blond athlete was lying in his bed, bag of ice sitting on his forehead. He forced a cough. His head turned slowly and he smiled weakly when he saw Fluttershy.

“H-hey, Flutters — you’re a sight for sore, tired eyes…” Another forced cough. Bushwhacker groaned. Mindy the boa nestled her head against Bushwhacker’s. A young koala hugged his lower hooves tight and a small kangaroo looked worried from his position beside the bed.

“So you are here!” Fluttershy said, stepping inside. “The nurse at the Citadel infirmary said they discharged you this morning because you were doing fine, but umm…” Bushwhacker struggled to sit up and his kangaroo friend helped ease him into a comfortable position.

“Those nurses sometimes…” Bushwhacker managed to reply, “A bit too eagah to get another empty bed. I got this headache, Flutters — could be a serious concussion.” Fluttershy sat down on a pillow near the bed.

R-right, um, that makes sense,” Fluttershy said, not quite sure if it did make sense. Mindy the boa slithered over to Fluttershy and gave her a snake hug. The kangaroo hoped over to receive some gentle petting from a very eager Fluttershy.

“To be honest with ya,” Bushwhacker said rather cheerfully as he stroked the appreciative koala at the end of his bed, “I’m not too bummed about being outta the races!”

Fluttershy cocked her head as Mindy gave her a snake kiss on the cheek.

“Whyever would that be, Bushwhacker? I thought you loved flying! It’s always been your dream, right?”

Bushwhacker shrugged and laid back down with his hooves behind his head.

“Yes and no — sure I always wanted to be a flyah. But maybe it was ‘cause my family didn’t believe in me. Thought I was too soft on account of the animals and all. I spent a lot of time in the Outback. I still do. I think I’m happiah there.” Bushwhacker threw up his hooves. “I mean, if the races are gonna get this dangerous, crikey, I’m better off in the Outback with me blokes! And the ladies, like Mindy there!”

Bushwhacker sat back up with a grunt of strained pain and looked at his animal friends attached to Fluttershy.

“I already proved I could be a flyer! And it’s definitely a hoot, make no mistake. But it ain’t me, you know?”

Fluttershy smiled warmly.

“I understand completely what you’re saying, and I think it’s great that you’re choosing safety over excitement — I mean, if that’s what you want.”

The two continued their conversation, just small talk about the races and animals. Then during a pause, Bushwhacker cleared his throat purposefully loud.

“Uhh, Flutters? Mind popping a squat a bit closah?”

Fluttershy felt her cheeks get hot.

“Ohh, umm, like right beside you?” Fluttershy looked around. “Well, I mean, I guess I c-can…”

She grabbed the pillow and flew over to the side of Bushwhacker’s bed and sat down. They weren’t very far from one another. Fluttershy couldn’t look him in the eye. There was tension inside the tent, at least from Fluttershy’s end. Bushwhacker whispered.

“Listen, Flutters, I was thinking — had a lot of time for thinking, yesterday and all — and, well…” Bushwhacker seemed nervous, more nervous than Fluttershy normally was. She looked up at the stallion. Some kind of secret hid behind his eyes. “About Maelstrom and all…”

Fluttershy was taken off guard, not expecting the conversation to go the way it did.

Wait, what way did I think it was going to go?

Bushwhacker swallowed hard and continued whispering.

“I sort of, kind of — well the deal is…”

Fluttershy looked around as if Bushwhacker was revealing a secret that could put them away for life. Then she looked right at him.

“What is it, Bushwhacker?” she replied in an even quieter whisper. Bushwhacker looked over at the entrance to the tent, then back at Fluttershy. He leaned in close.

“Truth is, I don’t think your friend Pinkie is a crazy sheila after all. In fact, I think her tail thing makes sense. Maelstrom—”

Bushwhacker’s eyes darted back to the entrance to his tent. Fluttershy noticed his brow become moist with sweat as he shakily bit his lower lip. Bushwhacker sat up and his demeanor changed. He held Fluttershy’s gaze firmly, telling her with his eyes that this was important.

“Maelstrom’s a totally odd bloke, okay? Straight strange, if I’m speaking freely. The way he talks about Equestria and Celestia sometimes… see, it was weird how we met in the first place about a year ago. He just shows up at my family’s place — kind of a palace, not trying to brag, but folks around there know who we are, yeah? And Maelstrom starts talking to my folks. I didn’t know what about, but it ended up that he wanted me to join the EFL, be one of his flyers.”

Bushwhacker’s breathing picked up. His gaze was always jumping back to the entrance flap of his tent. He stopped to listen, as if someone might be eavesdropping outside the tent. He continued when he felt the coast was clear. Fluttershy was completely enraptured.

“At the time, I was through the roof! Happy as a joey, truly! But there was always something that bugged me about it all. Like…”

Bushwhacker’s eyes became sullen.

“Kinda like he didn’t want me for ME, like he was just after my family. Well, we got a lot of money — folks know that too. Whole vault full of bits! And then when you were tellin’ me about your friend Pinkie and everything — I dunno, the strangeness of it hit home all at once. Maybe I’m just going troppo…”

Bushwhacker’s face became determined, sucking Fluttershy in even more.

“Listen, Flutters, that’s not all. Them ponies he hangs around with — Ms. VeeVee and her creepy little sister — well, VeeVee’s a beaut, no question.” Fluttershy’s snout scrunched up briefly. “But they’re even weirdah than Maelstrom! See, ponies tell me they come from some place that’s even further north than the Frozen North! Some place where the sky’s always dark and the magic is even darkah — not like here in Equestria!”

Bushwhacker paused for Fluttershy to say something. A curious dent parted her brow.

“But why are you telling me this now and not a few days ago? Did something happen?”

The sound of hoofsteps outside the tent made Bushwhacker throw his head up like a startled animal. His breath caught in his throat. The hoofsteps faded away as whoever made them continued walking. Bushwhacker turned back to Fluttershy.

“Like I said, when you mentioned your friend Pinkie Pie’s tail troubles, it made me rethink everything. I always wanted to just believe Maelstrom cared about me and wanted me to be one of his star flyers. But there was also yesterday, Zephyr came to see me in the infirmary. He had this look, I’ve seen it before.”

Bushwhacker closed his eyes and swallowed.

“He had had a fight with Maelstrom or something, and — I told you before, I didn’t mean to, but it came out — those two are uncle and nephew. There’s isn’t the happiest relationship though, and members who know about them aren’t supposed to EVER share that secret. Media’s never even got wind of it! And if Maelstrom knew I told you…”

Bushwhacker shivered. The sweat on his face started to trickle down.

“A-anyway, that’s about all I got to say about it, frankly. Make of it what you will but we’re friends, Flutters, and I couldn’t keep it inside any longah!”

* * *

Back in the balloon…

“Fluttershy? Equestria to Fluttershy, hello!?”

Fluttershy snapped out of it with a jolt of her head. Applejack and Rarity stared at her impatiently.

“You okay darling?” Rarity asked, “We need you to fly over and check if Rainbow’s home.” She chuckled awkwardly and pointed at her back. “No wings, remember?”

With a fluster, Fluttershy jumped up and started to fly over to Rainbow’s cloud home.

“S-sorry, girls!” she apologized. She landed on the cloud in front of the door and knocked. The tap tap barely made an impact. She cleared her throat.

“Rainbow!” she said just barely louder than her usual voice. “Are you in there? Rainbow Dash?”

She looked back at her friends in the balloon. Applejack cupped her mouth with her hooves and called out.

“Try tha door!”

Fluttershy turned back around and gripped the doorhandle. No give.

“Rainbow!” she said again. Nothing.

“Fer cryin’ out…” Applejack said from the balloon. She took in a large breath of air before shouting, “HEY RAINBOW DASH! COME ON OUT SO WE CAN TALK TO YA!”

Everypony waited for a minute, and still nothing happened.

“Fluttershy,” Rarity asked, “Be a dear and check the windows. Maybe she’s hiding and doesn’t want to come out?”

Fluttershy did just that. But no matter which window she peered through, even Rainbow Dash’s own bedroom, Fluttershy saw no signs of her prismatic-maned friend. She returned to the balloon.

“Doesn’t look like she’s home,” Fluttershy said, “She’s probably at the Academy after all.”

Applejack smiled.

“That’s good! She might still be trainin’! Maybe she’s in decent spirits after all. Let’s go, everypony!”

- - -

It had been a while since Fluttershy, Rarity, and Applejack had been to the Wonderbolt Academy. Rainbow Dash aside, they were excited to catch a glimpse of Wonderbolt HQ in the heat of a competition training session. Sure enough, as the balloon descended upon the top of the mountain, the place was obviously packed. Pegasi were coming and going in all directions.

“There’s Spitfire!” Fluttershy said, pointing downward.

The three mares landed and inquired about Rainbow Dash. Spitfire told them she was over by the Chinook Challenger 8000. The balloon ascended once more and floated through the air a short while before coming to a clearing outside the Academy where a huge machine sat on a cloud. It looked like a giant-sized fan. The undeniable brightness of Rainbow’s mane and tail caught everypony’s eye.

“There she is!” Rarity cried, “Rainbow! Rainbow Dash!”

At the sound of her name, Rainbow looked over, goggles firmly over her face and her Wonderbolt’s uniform tight against her body. She couldn’t hide a smile as she saw her friends approach, although it quickly transformed into a neutral expression. She zoomed over to the balloon and landed in the basket.

“H-hey gals. W-what are you doing here?” Rainbow acted aloof. She blew her mane out of her face with a puff of air and held up her hoof, turning it around and staring at it. “Kinda busy at the moment, not much time to talk.”

Applejack spoke softly, treading her words carefully.

“We know, but just hear us out.” Rainbow looked up at Applejack briefly with a pouty face, then glanced back to her hoof. Applejack sighed. “Look, R-Rainbow, we messed up yesterday! Really bad — something fierce!”

Rarity stepped forward.

“Right! We acted like hooligans! We shouldn’t have run off about our own silly business when you were counting on our support!”

Fluttershy spoke with sincere remorse.

“And I shouldn’t have spent so much time on Bushwhacker when I knew he was okay! Besides that, we dragged the fillies off too, and left you with nopony to cheer you on!”

Rainbow kept looking at her hoof, not budging.

“Yeah-huh. So, what are you ladies saying?”

All three of the other mares looked at each other then back to Rainbow.

“We’re sorry Rainbow!” they said in unison. Rainbow broke character and put her hoof down. Her bottom lip started quiver. Her pupils jittered like eggs on a skillet and her eyes became moist.

“Y-you gals…” Rainbow said shakily. “OH, COME HERE ALREADY!”

All four mares leapt into a great, big embrace. They “aww’d” and cuddled up close. It was more of a bear hug than any Fluttershy got from her friend Harry.

“I accept your apology, girls — I mean, of course I do!” Rainbow sniffled. “It really hurt, y’know, seeing that you guys weren’t there. But I get it — stuff happens! I’m not perfect either!”

Applejack chuckled.

“Heh, that what you really believe? Coulda fooled us with the way you’re always acting.”

The four broke apart. Fluttershy wiped her wet eyes.

“Ohhh, I still feel terrible, though, Rainbow. The way you looked yesterday” — Fluttershy sniffled and straightened out her face, smiling at Rainbow with determination — “it’s not going to happen again, I promise!”

Rarity looked at Applejack and the two nodded. She addressed Rainbow, “And we’re ending our little competition today! It’s gone too far if it means we can’t support you during the races!”

Applejack took off her stetson and sighed.

“Course, well, now… after yesterday…” She frowned. The other girls followed suit. Rainbow rose an eyebrow.

“What’s that look for? Everything’s cool, I promise!” Rainbow said happily. Rarity scratched the side of her face.

“It’s just, dear — you didn’t make it to the second race.”

Rainbow’s eyes widened and she smiled wide, as if a lightbulb went off in her skull.

“That’s the best part though, everypony! I DID make it through!” Fluttershy, Rarity, and Applejack made surprised gasps. Rainbow continued, “Yeah, here’s what happened—”

Rainbow explained the entire situation with Slapshot, Zephyr and Maelstrom. When she was done, everypony looked relieved again, except for Fluttershy, who was reminded of her thoughts on Maelstrom by the story. She slunk back a bit and hid her face.

“Shoot, Rainbow — that’s great news! So, everything worked out A-ok!”

“Great news indeed! Maybe we can continue the competition after all, Applejack!” Rarity said, glancing over at Applejack, who glared back. Rarity laughed nervously.

“Kidding! Just kidding!”

Rainbow nodded, full of mirth. Her face shifted to a frown.

“I’m definitely not happy about that Slapshot guy and what he did, so if I see him, I’m letting him have a piece of my mind. Might even feed him one of my patented Rainbow Dash right hooks, too!”

Applejack placed a hoof on Rainbow’s shoulder.

“Now now, Rainbow, hold yer horses. No use steppin’ down to his level, all the way down there with the other bad apples. You just keep training and focus on the races! He’ll be dealt with, Maelstrom being the no-nonsense fella he is.”

Fluttershy’s thoughts continued to ruminate. She looked up at Rainbow, blurting out what was on her mind.

“What do you think of him, Rainbow? M-Maelstrom, that is.”

Everypony turned to Fluttershy. Rainbow grinned.

“He’s awesome! Totally intimidating — but in a cool way! I would love to see the look on that bozo Slapshot’s face when he gets chewed out!”

Rainbow bounced in place, letting her wings vibrate with excitement.

“Ooooo — now I’m even more pumped after talking to you gals! This is so cool! I’m gonna smash the competition tomorrow.” Rainbow flew up and punched one hoof into her other. “Then I’m gonna beat ‘em all the day after that and claim that sweet, sweet number one spot! Even Zeph is gonna be eatin’ my dust — oh, I didn’t even tell you about Zeph yet!”

Applejack grinned like a fox and leaned towards Rainbow.

“Ah reckon you got some mighty fierce crush on him, dontcha?”

Rarity giggled. Rainbow laughed a single, sharp laugh.

“Hah! Not even! He’s a real bro — and I’m not like Fluttershy over here falling for famous racers because they’re good looking or whatever.”

Fluttershy was brought back to reality with a hot blush. She momentarily forgot all about Maelstrom.

“W-w-what? W-who said I h-had a crush?”

The mares laughed. Fluttershy smiled.

I guess this is okay. Rainbow’s happy. Nothing seems out of the ordinary. I can’t ruin her mood, Bushwhacker’s just… overreacting. Yeah, that’s it.

Rainbow’s face lit up. Her ears ever-so-slightly moved back and forth, and every time she spoke her wings jumped. Fluttershy let her lips form a huge, toothy crescent and she closed her eyes.

Everything’s going to be just fine!

Author's Note:

Took too long between this and the last chapter. But! I'm pretty happy with it!

17 more chapters to go (or so the plan says)!