• Published 21st Feb 2012
  • 1,006 Views, 29 Comments

The Storm's Challenge - OneLonelyPickle



Rainbow Dash prepares for a series of flying races dubbed "The Storm's Challenge". Nopony is prepared for what's in store...

  • ...
3
 29
 1,006

19 - Prince Tsunami

Chapter 19

-

Prince Tsunami

Twilight slowly adjusted to the new, bright surroundings. With blinking eyes, she took her first look at where she was.

Immediately she was drawn to the center of the room like it had a gravitational pull and she was a small planet. There, on a staired platform that appeared octagonal, a tall, golden throne sat, glowing with the reflections of torch fire. An emerald as big as any of Twilight’s encyclopedias was embedded at the top of the throne, with other, smaller gemstones inlaid at other points on the regal chair. Behind the throne a dark green flag hung, a white crown with white, outstretched wings embroidered on it.

“You look upon the Throne of Clopstantine,” the voice from before announced. Twilight shifted her vision just to the right and saw another throne, smaller and less ornate, which was occupied. “It is our most sacred treasure. Beautiful, no?”

The voice came from a stallion with a shiny, milky coat, covered in a deep purple cloak lined with snowy fur. His swirly, sapphire mane turned and turned upward, like the start of a funnel cloud, and surrounding it was a silver crown, like a fence enclosing some dark blue mountain. The crown was not as big as the one embroidered on the flag, and it had a much smaller emerald laid in its center than the golden throne did.

“Are you Prince Tsunami?” Twilight asked, looking into the stallion’s hard eyes. The rest of his face was old and tired, but his eyes shined with the same color and luster as all the emeralds she had seen so far in the city. Prince Tsunami shifted in his seat and answered.

“I am. Steward of Clopstantine and ruler of His city. And you are a long way from home, princess.”

Just like Luna had described… so it’s true…

Twilight looked around the room – the Sky Chamber, as Prince Tsunami called it. It was vast and circular, and the vaulted, domed ceiling seemed a mile away. Great murals of ancient times were painted on the domed ceiling. Looking downward, Twilight took in the faintly magenta-glowing walls, alabaster and coal-colored stone giving contrast to the various stain-glass windows, not unlike those in Canterlot castle, except showing different scenes.

Same as the jail cell. No magic, then.

In front of Twilight, leading up to the throne platform, was a path of red carpet and standing torches on either side. There were also many guards lining the path on either side of it, stoic, silent, and incredibly intimidating. It seemed only the biggest and meanest looking guards were chosen for guarding the throne room.

“Tell me, Twilight Sparkle: what are you doing here in Clopstantinople?”

Twilight refocused on Prince Tsunami. His brows were only slightly turned downward, and his mouth was a straight line. Twilight’s face felt similar. They were both scanning the other.

Twilight swallowed and began to move forward. At a certain point, two guards stepped forward and emotionlessly blocked her from trotting any further.

“I came here to establish formal relations between Equestria and your fine country,” Twilight glanced back down at the guards momentarily, then back up at Prince Tsunami. “I would like to exchange knowledge between our two nations, as the first step towards our friendship.”

Tsunami laughed and leaned forward. “Friendship, you say? Well, you would be the best princess for that, Princess of Friendship. That is your title, is it not?”

“It is.” Twilight smiled. “So, you’re right, I would be the best princess for the job. I would have come with my friends, too, only I have heard of your country’s reluctance to accept foreigners and I did not want to overwhelm you on this inaugural visit.”

Prince Tsunami sat back in his throne. “Right. You did not want to overwhelm us with your pastel colors and happy faces. Indeed.” Some of the guards fought back laughter. Twilight looked around. Ire took over her face for a brief moment. Prince Tsunami continued.

“And it is not that we are reluctant to accept all foreigners, just Equestrians. My ponies can spot an Equestrian easy, and we don’t treat well with Equestrians.” With a forced smile Twilight addressed the prince once more.

“Perhaps my word choice was wrong… I only meant—”

“I know precisely what you meant.” Prince Tsunami interrupted. “Equestrians have always been haughty with their bright-eyed, bushy-tailed dispositions. Running about with your Cutie Marks and your foalish smiles.” Twilight and Prince Tsunami both glared at each other.

“Let me ‘exchange’ some ‘knowledge’ with you about Clopstantinople, dear princess.” Prince Tsunami’s voice raised in volume as he continued. “Five-hundred years ago, our founder, Clopstantine the Great, came north from Equestria escaping the tyranny He described there. He desired to create a city and a country where ponies could be free from control, and He proceeded to do just that.”

“After He retired, old and esteemed, His Highest Majesty put a steward in charge of the country, one of my great ancestors, and ever since we have watched over and protected the freedom and security of His people.”

Prince Tsunami leaned forward once again. “We don’t need friends, and we don’t need to exchange anything more than that, least of all with Equestrians.” Twilight was at a loss for words at first. She searched her mind for some semblance of a reply.

This makes no sense… five-hundred years ago Princess Celestia was the only ruler of Equestria! She’s no tyrant!

Twilight looked at Prince Tsunami. It felt like each set of eyes was pushing against the other, trying to win some kind of silent battle.

“I am sorry, but it’s impossible for that story to be true, prince. Princess Celestia was the ruler of Equestria five-hundred years ago, and she has always been a kind, fair ruler. The role of a princess is to lead the country by example and protect it from danger, not to control ponies or create tyranny!”

Prince Tsunami scowled.

“Surely you’re not calling His Highest Majesty Clopstantine the Great a liar… Twilight Sparkle.”

He looked around the room as if seeing something Twilight couldn’t herself see.

“He is still with us, you know. He might even be able to hear you. He’s not a stallion you want to anger.”

Twilight followed Prince Tsunami’s glances but saw nothing aside from the dust floating in the air where the light from the windows illuminated it. She looked back at the prince.

I’m beginning to understand what Celestia was talking about now.

She narrowed her eyes at Prince Tsunami.

“I don’t understand. If Clopstantine lived five-hundred years ago… well, there’s no way he’s still—”

“Alive?” Prince Tsunami finished, smiling wryly. “But isn’t your Princess Celestia still alive after a thousand years?” He tapped his gauntlet on the throne. “Surely you’re aware that there are some among us with the fortitude to live longer than the average pony. The world works in mysterious ways beyond just the magic you are used to in Equestria.”

He rose a hoof, and Twilight got a better look at one of his gauntlets. It was emerald and inlaid with gold. Prince Tsunami cleared his throat.

“Anyway, that is the story of this great city. As I said, we are not looking for friends, certainly not with Equestrians, and so I believe your mission here has come to an end. If you have nothing else to say, my guards can escort you to an airship and you can be on your way home.”

Twilight tensed up and sighed.

“I do, actually, have something else to say.”

Prince Tsunami raised a brow.

“Oh?”

The Princess of Friendship locked eyes with the prince.

I need to do what I came here for, one way or another.

“What do you know of dream magic?”

The room became deathly quiet.

“Dream… magic?” Prince Tsunami scoffed. “Never heard of it. What does that have to do with anything?”

Twilight steeled herself. Her wings unfurled.

“It has a lot to do with everything. The princesses have become aware of some magical energy entering their dreams. Princess Luna has tracked its origin to here, the location of Clopstantinople. And…”

“Yes?” Prince Tsunami looked wary. Twilight continued.

“…and the princess reported seeing the figure of a white pony, with a dark blue mane that sticks up, in her dreams.”

Prince Tsunami crossed his hooves over his chest and snorted.

“Quite the accusation. And why is this Princess Luna not here before me instead of you, to make her case?

“I was the one sent to address the issue. Even if Princess Luna was here, she wouldn’t be able to show you what she saw. I believe her.” Twilight pressed on. “Do you deny that you were spying on the princesses with dream magic?”

Prince Tsunami stared at Twilight for a long time, his wizened features undecipherable. The silence and the tension started to gnaw at Twilight’s sanity. Finally, he replied quietly.

“I’ll not give credence to baseless accusations. We do not like Equestrians, but we also do not spy on them. I can’t even use magic; I’m an earth pony. Now, it is time to leave, Twilight Sparkle.” Prince Tsunami motioned his head towards the doors and his guards followed the silent command. They started to lead Twilight out of the room, against her will.

This is my last chance. I have to use it.

Twilight closed her eyes and swallowed hard. She let her wings become limp and relaxed. She recited some words in her head and mouthed them. Prince Tsunami cocked his head.

“What?” he uttered.

Twilight opened her eyes and grimaced. At the same time, an ivory beam shot out from the tip of her horn, straight at Prince Tsunami. The guards pounced on her.

“You…” Prince Tsunami gasped. At the last moment he seemed to remember his situation and deflected the beam with his armored hoof. The beam travelled until it hit one of the guard’s emerald armor shoulder plates, and again it deflected.

Their armor is magic-proof too! I didn’t account for that!

The beam continued to deflect off of the walls and the armor it came into contact with until finally it found its way through the helmet of a guard.

The magic colliding with the guard caused a loud, ear-rattlingly high pitch, disorienting everypony for a few moments. When everypony had come to, they looked over to the guard who the beam hit, Twilight most curious of all to see what had happened.

“Dauntless,” one of the other guards asked, hesitantly, “are… are you okay?”

Twilight watched as the guard shook his head, as if he had had a great fall and banged it, and then looked over to her. His gaze was empty, and his mouth was agape. He galloped to Twilight and dropped to his knees before her.

“Princess, what do you command?”

Twilight’s mouth dropped. She tried to speak but no words came out. She dared to look up at Prince Tsunami, who stared at her with a murderous countenance.

“So! Your real goal! A mind control spell!”

Twilight pleaded. “I had no idea what it would do, I was only—”

Prince Tsunami was livid. “Seize her! Throw her back in her cell where she belongs!”

The guard who the beam hit fought against the guards taking Twilight away.

“No! Princess! I won’t let them do it!”

The other guards grabbed their friend. Prince Tsunami bellowed as Twilight was dragged out of the room.

“Call the court mage and get that soldier some help!”

Twilight saw a guard gallop away like his life depended on it. She was being dragged through a hallway just outside the Sky Chamber, and this time she struggled and fought back with all her might to resist.

No use in playing nice now!

Eventually the guards were too much, and so Twilight lit up her horn and performed a teleportation spell. The walls were magic-proof, so the best she could do was pop up at the end of the hallway, and she took off as soon as she could, flying just above the floor.

“After her!” A guard screamed, “Call the garrison to arms! Capture Twilight Sparkle!”

Twilight was not as fast as the guard who took off before her, even if she was flying, and she watched him disappear through a narrow door. It didn’t look like the direction she wanted to go in so she took off down another hall. There was no wall on its right side but instead a lattice covering, glowing with magenta. Twilight glanced only momentarily through the lattice to see the hustle and bustle of Clopstantinople far below. A few guards came around the corner.

“What’s all this—hey!”

Twilight flew right over the guards. She had little time to think, or to catch her breath. She turned down yet another hallway, darker than the last, and kept on going until the sounds of her chasers started to dissipate. Twilight descended to the ground and sucked up as much air as she could.

I need to save up my magic. Once I’m outside, I can use my strongest teleportation spell and get far away from here. There’re going to be guards everywhere soon, I’m sure of it.

Two minutes passed before Twilight allowed herself no more time. She warmed up her wings then took off. Down several hallways she flew, then down a long set of spiral stairs, and down more hallways still. She would occasionally encounter more guards, who were easy enough to avoid as there were never more than one or two just happening to be there with no idea what was going on, and other times there would be palace staff, who would shriek when they saw her crazed form, and especially her cutie mark.

Finally, Twilight reached an open room with a large, bolted wooden door at one end. Her lungs were burning but she ignored it. She landed and charged towards the door with her horn glowing and pulsing red.

I can use this much magic to break through the door, then when I’m outside, I can…

Whispers. Something was whispering all around her. Twilight felt the world grow hazy and cloudy around her. She kept running towards the door until it, too, disappeared amid the haze. More whispers.

“Very far from home, little princess from the south.”

Twilight stopped and turned to the direction of the whisper. She started to flutter above the ground. The same voice spoke again behind her.

“Your magic is powerful. And scary. Good thing I don’t have to face you alone.”

She heard a unicorn horn power up near the entrance to the room she was in. She looked and saw an aquamarine glow through the haze.

“Who are you?” she called out. She powered her own horn up to defend herself.

There was a pompous chuckle coming from the unicorn magic.

“It matters not, evil one! Thou shallst be smitten, and that shallst be the end of it!”

Twilight glared at the aquamarine light.

“Not me, my lady. Him.”

Twilight leaned back and looked from left to right. A whoosh drew her gaze behind her. All she saw was a mass flying towards her face before the world turned dark.

Author's Note:

Massive apologies for the late chapter (to the few of you who care, if anyone does). I plan on releasing a new chapter tomorrow as well to get back in line with the schedule.