• Published 21st Feb 2012
  • 1,004 Views, 29 Comments

The Storm's Challenge - OneLonelyPickle



Rainbow Dash prepares for a series of flying races dubbed "The Storm's Challenge". Nopony is prepared for what's in store...

  • ...
3
 29
 1,004

17 - Somepony Who Really Loves Hockey

Chapter 17

-

Somepony Who Really Loves Hockey

“I’m so proud of you, Angel.”

Fluttershy patted her bunny friend on the top of his head. His right foot jackhammered against the ground and he shook his tail.

“I can’t believe you were able to do all the chores by yourself! And this place looks wonderful.”

She looked around her cottage. The tree-cum-domicile had not one piece of bark or nut out of place. The windows were clean and shining. The pathway was swept. Heading to the backyard, Fluttershy saw that the chicken coop was well-maintained, and that her animals were happily eating their late morning snack. Angel pointed at a few other animals: a beaver, a porcupine, and a snake. They all looked at the dirt bashfully and pawed at it.

“You three helped too?” Fluttershy beamed. “That’s great! I’m glad everyone worked together!”

She embraced her animal friends in a great, big hug.

“And I hope you enjoyed your treats. You definitely deserved them! Good job!”

All the animals cheered. Nearby tree leaves waved in the gentle breeze, sunlight beating off their green hides. It looked like a million squirming leafbugs dancing on branches. Fluttershy took a deep breath and exhaled.

“What a beautiful day so far.” She turned to Angel and smiled sheepishly. She blinked rapidly. “Umm, Angel?” The called-for bunny stared with a pleasant smile on his face. “Would you like to go with us to watch Bushwhacker later?”

Angel’s expression changed to a snarl. He growled, then hopped over to a bush and started to punch and kick at it. Fluttershy brought a hoof to her gaping mouth.

“Oh my. Angel…” she trotted to Angel and rubbed the top of his head as he continued to protest. “He’s not that bad. He really likes you. Why don’t you give him a chance?” Angel crossed his arms and shook his head with closed eyes. He opened his mouth and made a gagging noise, pointing his paw down his throat.

“I don’t understand why you dislike him,” Fluttershy said with a frown, “He loves animals, just like me.”

Angel stared at Fluttershy with a creased brow. He held up a paw, then let it hang limp to one side. He pointed at it with his other paw and started to chirp in a mocking tone. Then he blew a raspberry.

Fluttershy gasped. “Angel Bunny! Bushwhacker is not a wimp!” Angel crossed his paws again and turned away, sticking out his tongue one last, defiant time. Fluttershy rolled her eyes with a huff.

“Okay, okay, fine. You can stay here.” Angel’s ears shot right up and he grinned from cheek to cheek. “But we’re going to have so much fun. I think you’ll get jealous.” Fluttershy smiled wide.
Angel just stared, not having it.

* * *

The sun sat high in its kingdom, noon in full force. It was another day of hot rays and humid air, though it did not seem to bother the intrepid members of the Equestria Flyers League one bit.

Fluttershy and her animal friends sat near the top of some bleachers affording a view over a vast clearing where the members of the EFL were practicing. “Roasted nuts, get yer roasted nuts here!” A stallion ambled in front of the bleachers with a tray of bags on his back.

“Wow, what a showing…” Fluttershy said aloud. Though it was just a training session, the EFL had brought quite a crowd. There were even superfans, decked out in forest green outfits with foam fingers, cheering and waving as the expert flyers soared above.

Training took place just outside Canterlot at Pepperheart Field, which was also where the EFL were staying during the races. At one end of the grassy area was an overlook, where several dark green tents were pitched, painted in the style of the EFL colors, the largest of which opened up towards the clearing. At the other end were the bleachers and a few concession stands set up for fans. In the middle was where the magic happened.

Several pegasi were flying through sets of rings, with each successive ring being higher up than the last, and slightly narrower, so that it was a challenge for any flyer to go from the start to the finish of the obstacle course. Others were jumping off an intricate platform that went high into the sky. As they fell towards a trampoline at the bottom, several high-powered fans built into the platform blew, and the trick, as Fluttershy gathered, seemed to be to maintain your composure as you fell, bounce back up, and escape the windstorm as it tried to blow you away. But the real crowd pleaser floated just above the field.

It was a huge (yet still rather miniature in comparison) replica of the Saddlebred Citadel. The thin cloud walls were see-through, so everypony in the stands could see the white and blue insides. EFL members were racing each other throughout the many hallways and shortcuts built into the Citadel copy. The entire structure was about as wide and long as four or five Carousel Boutiques, Fluttershy reasoned.

“The Saddlebred Citadel is an engineering and architectural marvel,” spat a nearby fellow fan. Fluttershy looked at him, bespectacled and carrying a notepad. “It took one hundred pegasi three years to build. It is primarily used to train special forces ponies who need to learn to traverse dangerous, narrow passages.” He adjusted his glasses and stared out at the field, talking to nopony in particular, though he did gain quite an audience. “But it is also used for racing events, notably by the EFL. That is why they had their own replica built. It is perfect, down to the last detail.”

Fluttershy looked back at the imposing cloud fortress, feeling her eyes grow large. She couldn’t believe it was only a small version of a much larger original. The Citadel had only two openings that Fluttershy could see, one on the left and another on the right, far to the other side of the structure. The inside looked so intricate that Fluttershy felt the onset of vertigo just trying to decipher the maze of paths. The pegasi inside, however, had just enough room (and skill) to maneuver without many problems, but not necessarily with speed.

Occasionally, a block of cloud would jut out from a narrow passage and form an obstacle. The EFL members were trained enough to dodge them at the last minute, but it made Fluttershy gulp.

Oh dear… I hope Rainbow Dash is going to be okay in the races…

The crowd of fans started to cheer as somepony arrived. It was mostly female shrieks and cries. Fluttershy turned to the source of the excitement and started to cry herself.

“Bushwhacker! Hi Bushwhacker!” As soon as she shouted, Fluttershy covered her mouth with her hooves, slunk back behind her mane, and blushed. But Bushwhacker, in the distance, had heard her in particular, and he waved with an open mouth smile. His blond locks bounced as he got into position in front of an obstacle course. The mares in the audience swooned.

Fluttershy smiled back at Bushwhacker and managed a tiny wave.

* * *

Pinkie tossed Pumpkin Cake in the air. The baby filly squealed, and Pinkie laughed too, as they played.

“Whooo, waahhhh, bleeehhhh.”

Pinkie made funny faces as she threw Pumpkin up again and again. Mr. Cake came into the front lobby of Sugar Cube Corner from the kitchen, carrying a small tray of cupcakes.

“Awww,” he cooed, setting down the tray and beginning to fill the empty spots in the display case. “You’re too good to us, Pinkie, you know that?” Pumpkin exploded into giggles as Pinkie started tickling her.

“I’m just having fun with the cutest baby unicorn in Equestria, Mr. Cake!”

Mr. Cake smiled warmly and closed the display case. He removed his baker’s hat and leaned again the counter.

“If Mrs. Cake and Pound do alright in Canterlot today, we might just close up the shop here in Ponyville and move there until the races are done.” Mr. Cake started moving back to the kitchen. “Pony Joe said we could use his kitchen if we bring our own supplies. Profits were insane yesterday!”

Pinkie stopped tickling Pumpkin and stared at the ceiling.

Yesterday… right…

She narrowed her vision.

Maelstrom!

Pumpkin started to shake Pinkie with her tiny hooves. She babbled in baby speak. Pinkie snapped out of it and eskimo kissed Pumpkin, who tittered with glee. Mr. Cake was calling out from the kitchen.

“I mean, we didn’t have a single customer all morning besides Fluttershy! I think Canterlot’s the way to go, if you ask me.”

Pinkie replied, “Sounds super duper Mr. Cake! Then I could see Rarity and Applejack every day, too!”

And also be at the best spot to learn more about Maelstrom!

The front door’s bell jingled. Pinkie turned with glee to see who the second customer of the day was.

It was a smoky white pegasus stallion. He had a narrow muzzle and bored, brown eyes. Sweat was at his brow, which he wiped away with a pant.

“Holey moley she’s a scorcher out, eh?”

He managed to squeeze through the front door despite the monstrous saddlebags to either side of him. There was a hockey stick, too, which kept getting stuck. Finally, he flopped inside with another heavy pant.

“Yoose guys sell… food, right?”

Pinkie put Pumpkin down and assumed her position behind the counter, smile wide and Pinkieish.

“Yes sir, we sure do! From out of town?” She looked at his blue and green “VANHOOVER” jersey. “Oooo, Vanhoover! I’ve never been. Is it nice up there? Do you ponies really live in igloos and eat snow?”

The stallion waved a hoof dismissively. “Uhh, yeah, sure, eh? Whatcha got for grub?”

Pinkie crinkled her nose as the scent of body odor attacked her nostrils. She took a step back. The stallion chuckled.

“Ah, sorreh, eh? Just got done training an’ haven’t had time for a shower or nothin’. But listen, why don’t you give me two of whatever ponies normally get, eh?”

Pinkie rattled her head back and forth.

“S-sure!” she stammered. She grabbed the stallion two cupcakes. “Fresh out of the oven!”

Pumpkin coughed and gagged on the floor. Pinkie smiled awkwardly handing the pastries over and covered her nose whenever the stallion wasn’t looking.

“Thanks, eh?” he said, popping one of the cupcakes in his mouth. He spoke as he chewed. “Da nabes Swaapshat.”

He held out a hoof to Pinkie, who took it. He shook her so hard her entire body moved up and down. She forced a grin.

“Nice to meet you, Swaapshat. My name’s Pinkie Pie!”

“Swaapshat” swallowed his food and corrected Pinkie.

“No, it’s ‘Slapshot’, eh? Jeez, Swaapshat – that’s ridiculous, bud.”

A pan dropped in the kitchen and everypony turned to the swivel doors behind Pinkie. Suddenly Mr. Cake ran out with a huge smile on his face.

“Slapshot?! The best hockey player in Equestria?” Mr. Cake looked like a young colt again. Slapshot shot him a cocky grin.

“That’d be me, pal. I’m here for those there flying races though, yeah? You a fan?”

Mr. Cake could barely breathe. He raced upstairs then came down with a big scrapbook.

“I – I have all your collector cards, tons of ticket stubs, official memorabilia of the Vanhoover hockey team – I might be your biggest fan, Mr. Slapshot, sir!”

Pinkie stared wide mouthed and eyed at Mr. Cake. Pumpkin climbed up onto her back and looked at her dad the same way. Mr. Cake fanboyed for a few more minutes while Slapshot ate another cupcake. They talked about hockey the entire time. Apparently Slapshot was a legend of the ice rink, though most ponies didn’t follow the sport, especially in Ponyville, so Pinkie had little idea what was even discussed.

“…so I had just gotten done hockey practice for the day, y’know, and who walks in but Maelstrom himself, eh? That’s how I got with the EFL and into this whole flying business.” Pinkie’s ears perked up and she returned to reality. “He thought my style on the ice could, like, be good for flying, too. Guess he was right ‘cuz I’m like their best flyer now, or something.”

“Wait,” Pinkie asked, “You know Maelstrom? And he knows you? You know EACH OTHER?”

Slapshot blew air out of the side of his mouth. “Well, jeez, ya, eh? He’s my boss, bud. We talk like, y’know, a lot, and stuff.”

Pinkie’s eyes nearly bulged right out. She threw her hooves up on the glass display and got close to Slapshot’s face.

“You gotta tell me all about him! Everything! Every little dirty secret!” Pinkie cocked her head. “Oh wait,” she said. She grabbed a deerstalker hat and corncob pipe seemingly from nowhere and donned them, then continued, “Okay – now spill the beans!”

Slapshot took a step back and cocked a brow. “Pshhh – yeah, no. Why would I do that, eh? You got something I want or something?”

Mr. Cake pulled Pinkie back and whispered to her, “Pinkie! Don’t scare away the celebrity! He might come back for more cupcakes – and I haven’t gotten an autograph yet!”

Pinkie whispered back, “But this is REALLY important, Mr. Cake! I’ll get him to write an autograph for you, don’t worry!”

Mr. Cake drew his mouth up to one side of his face. He looked unsure.

“Well, fine. But I want two autographs! In case I lose one.”

“I need to bake some cakes for tomorrow, anyway,” Mr. Cake said aloud, heading towards the kitchen. He turned back and fanboyed one last time for Slapshot. “It was a pleasure to meet you, sir. Good luck in the races!”

Slapshot half-heartedly nodded and smiled. He turned back to Pinkie.

“Well?” he asked, “I don’t got all day, y’know. Like, whatcha gonna trade for my information, eh?”

Pinkie raised a hoof and shook her head. Pumpkin was absent-mindedly chewing on her mane.

“What do you want?” Pinkie asked.

Slapshot opened his mouth to speak. “Uhhhhh…”

He looked up and to the side.

“Well, uhh, good question…”

Finally, his tail came to life with a jolt and starting flapping around. He hopped in place like a giddy foal.

“Okay, okay, so, like, you like fun, right?”

Pinkie beamed.

“Boy, do I!”

“And you like ice, yeah?”

“Sure do!”

“And games?”

“Games are my favorite thing ever!”

Slapshot was so visibly jubilant it was scary.

“C-cool! That’s awesome! Alright Pinkie Pie, here’s the deal: you know that lake just outside of town, eh?” He pointed his hoof towards his left.

Pinkie nodded. “Saddle Lake! Yep, my friends and I go there a lot when it’s super hot and we’re not busy!”

Slapshot looked impatient. “Yeah yeah yeah, anyway, meet me there as soon as you can! I’ll tell you all I know about Maelstrom, alright?”

Pinkie frowned.

“I don’t know, I can’t just leave. I work here…”

Slapshot was already out the door, leaving various hockey-related things behind that fell from his bags. Mr. Cake stuck his head through the swivel doors.

“Don’t worry about it, Pinkie! Today’s a write off! I’ve got the cakes in the oven. Just put Pumpkin to bed before you go!”

“Why are you whisp—” Pinkie looked back and saw a tiny filly peacefully snoozing on her back.

“Oh.”