• Published 7th Aug 2013
  • 1,824 Views, 49 Comments

Love is Power I: Singing from the Heart - ThaStrangr



Fluttershy has been in love with one of her closest friends for some time now, but has been too scared to confess. Will the upcoming Ponyville talent show provide her the opportunity she has been looking for?

  • ...
6
 49
 1,824

Lakeside Lament

Fluttershy couldn't escape a certain dread as she followed Twilight through the small town. The unicorn had led her to a small lake just outside of town and had tenderly dipped a hoof into it as she lie down. In that moment, she looked more beautiful than Fluttershy had ever seen her. Fluttershy wanted to lie next to her, lean in to her, be warmed by her embrace. But her fear had frozen her at that spot. That is, until the object of her affection smiled at her and motioned for her to sit. It was an offer Fluttershy couldn't refuse. She cautiously stepped toward the other pony and positioned herself beside her. Twilight continued running her hoof through the cool lake water, gazing at the doppelganger that stared back at her.

Though nearly all of her focus was on her crush, a bit of her mind did wander to something else.

“So where's Nyx? Why isn't she with you?” Her eyes grew to the size of dinner plates after that question. “I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to take your parenting into question.” Twilight raised her hoof to her mouth to stifle a small giggle.

“It's okay, Fluttershy. I understand your concern. I had Spike walk her home. I felt like staying out a bit longer to talk with you.” As she spoke, the lavender mare wrapped her free hoof under her and directed her attention entirely to the pony seated next to her. Though there had been no indication Fluttershy had anything to fear, Twilight's last sentence scared her.

“So,” Twilight began, “I really liked your song today.”

“Ummm, th-thank you. I'd hoped everypony would enjoy it.”

“Is there anything, or anyone, in particular that inspired it?” Fluttershy gulped.

“Well, yes. I did write that song for somepony.”

“I knew it. Would you be interested in telling who this mystery pony is?”

Fluttershy felt a lump in her throat. Perhaps Twilight hadn't figured it out after all. Of course, she could just be playing the pony who had poured her heart out on that stage, in front of the entire town. No, Twilight wasn't that cynical. If anything, she had understood the message and was simply ensuring that it was intended for her before doing anything.

Fluttershy tried calming herself. Assuring herself. But she couldn't overcome her fear. Her breath caught as she attempted to speak, converting her words into incoherent gibberish.

“I... mneh.. eis...” she stuttered. She had waited so long for this moment. It was just within her grasp. She merely had to reach for it. Why couldn't she just do it? Twilight was dumbstruck by her friend's “words”.

“Um, are you okay?” she asked the visibly trembling pegasus. Fluttershy realized she wouldn't be able to say what she needed to say, so she decided to try something else. She steeled her mind, closed her eyes, and began to move. Instantly, she felt her lips press against something. She felt a surge of pure ecstasy. This was a sensation she had dreamed of for a very long time. Oh, how she wished she could stay in that moment forever. But she knew she had to break it. She had to give the other pony time to respond. After all this time, she wasn't walking away without an answer.

Fluttershy, despite her own screaming desires, pulled slowly from the other pony. She hesitated only an instant before easing her eyelids open. She'd hoped to see Twilight glowing like a firefly. What she instead saw both surprised and worried her. Twilight looked absolutely stunned, almost as though Fluttershy had just slapped her.

All of her hope. Her resolve. Her determination. Any ounce of strength she had mustered had been wiped away in but a single instant. All the tears she had been at war with to hold for so long had regrouped and were now on full assault. She charged from the water and spread her wings.

At the time Twilight had finally realized just what was happening, it was too late. Fluttershy was in the air, gone. Twilight felt the same moisture accumulating in her eyes as she watched her aching friend speeding away. Her heart felt heavy, and cold as the northern reaches of the Crystal Empire. She tried to chase the fleeing pony, to no avail. With her lead and her wings, Twilight simply would not be able to catch up to her, and she wouldn't respond to her calls. Twilight was certain she wouldn't land until she arrived at her home, at which point she would lock the door and close all shades, effectively shutting off the entire outside world.

Twilight cried harder than she ever had. One of her closest friends just confessed love for her, and she just sat there as though they were discussing the weather. She would never deny that she had made plenty of mistakes in her life. Turning her parents into plants, wandering alone into the Everfree just to end up encased in stone, and of course the Smarty Pants incident. She never thought she'd be capable of messing up worse than she had in the last of that list, turning all of Ponyville into zombies annihilating each other over her doll. But this was by far the worst thing she had ever done. She was hurting more than she ever had in the past. She broke her friend's heart, and most likely lost that friend for good.

...No. No, this wasn't over. She was not giving up. She would not lose Fluttershy. She at least needed time to discuss things. She knew Fluttershy wouldn't answer the door should she knock, so she would need to come up with a plan. Her mind steeled and her eyes dried as she charged at the speed of a timber wolf toward the library. On entering, she quickly grabbed a quill and some parchment. She walked upstairs quietly grab her candle. She didn't want to wake Spike or Nyx. After all, it was going to be a long night.