• Published 9th Aug 2013
  • 1,645 Views, 124 Comments

THIS IS A STORY - _NAME_



This is a story about a stallion.

  • ...
9
 124
 1,645

3rd Story


The stallion bore the full brunt of the bitter chill as he slunk out from the protective cover of the alleyway and into the snow-laden streets.

His crinkled hat and threadbare jacket, a few sizes too large, provided little protection against the blizzard that was beginning to roll in, but he pressed on.

The streets were virtually empty, save for the holiday decorations that lined them, and the stallion.

Everypony was inside their houses, with friends and family, enjoying the warmth and comfort of simply being inside on such a cold, miserable day.

The stallion probably would have been inside as well, if his home was not an uncomfortable mattress, some old, stained blankets, and a small hoofful of other objects back in the alley he had been living in for a year or so.

And now, he scoured the streets, searching for something to eat, or anything else he could need, his hunger only matched by how very cold he was.

A particularly strong gust of wind surged down the road, causing the stallion to flinch away and shiver uncontrollably.

He quickened his pace, hoping that he could find something, anything, so that he could return to the relative safety of the alley.

But, there was nothing of any value on the streets, and no ponies to beg for some holiday charity.

And the wind did not lessen any, and before long, snow was spiraling from the sky in droves, hampering his progress even further.

The stallion struggled on for a few more minutes, but then stopped, struck with the sudden realization that he simply could not accomplish anything in the weather, except freeze to death, so he staggered off in the direction the nearest building, some diner, hoping to find some sanctuary inside.

But as he approached, it became woefully obvious that the restaurant was closed.

He peered through the darkened windows, and tugged on the doors, with the fruitless hope that it was unlocked, but it wasn’t.

The stallion slumped down in the doorframe, which provided some protection at least, and curled up in a ball, staring wistfully inside the diner.

He could not go back to his alley, or anywhere else, not in this storm, so he drew his jacket tighter around his body, pulled his hat further down on his head, and sat there, trembling.

The snow fell harder.

It was some undeterminable minutes later when he glanced down, and spotted a small purse lying on the ground.

He reached out with shaking hooves and picked it up, and was surprised when it was heavier than he expected an empty purse to be.

The metal clasp was near frozen, but after some fumbling, he managed to get it open.

The stallion’s eyes went wide.

Inside the purse was a fair amount of bits, all glistening and gold.

He poured out the contents on the floor and counted eleven bits, far more money than he had had in months.

A grin found its way on his mouth.

There was a few months’ worth of food and supplies, just lying there on the ground, ripe for the taking, and he had found it just wen he so desperately needed it.

He slid the bits back into the purse and held it close to his body, afraid that if he held it any looser it might just vanish.

And, despite the weather, he was happy.

Author's Note:

[This story suggested by Lord Destrustor.]