• Published 2nd Aug 2013
  • 2,703 Views, 43 Comments

Cutie Mark Protector - Bass Canon



In attempt to earn their cutie marks, the Crusaders invade Twilight's library to find a spell that can help them. To their surprise, they find exactly what they ask for. The question is, can Twilight save both them and their sisters?

  • ...
4
 43
 2,703

A Spell in the Night

The night descended upon Ponyville, and a familiar sound of paper flipping and whispering coming from the town library gently pierced the dead silence. That sound however did not seem to be coming from the usual royal suspect, Princess Twilight Sparkle. Instead, three distinct filly voices could be heard whispering as papers and books were ransacked.

“I told you this was bad idea!” Applebloom whispered, the tone of her voice conveying her desire to leave the library.

“Quit being such a scaredypony! Ah, here it is!” Scootaloo replied, and pointed to a paragraph in the book in front of the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

“Here goes…” said Sweetie Belle, as her little horn began to glow with magic.

“Once this spell finishes, we will have our cutie marks for sure!” Scootaloo smiled proudly, her plan coming into fruition.

“What is this number Scoots?” Applebloom asked, pointing to the end of the paragraph.

“It says Spell Difficulty Quota: 17… didn’t Sweetie Belle just finish her SPQ 6 test with Twilight…”

As the other two crusaders contemplated what that meant, Sweetie Belle struggled to hold the incantation afloat. Only her resolve to prove to her best friends and the desire to finally get a cutie mark of her own did push her onward.

In the bed above the library, a alicorn was slowly waking up, the sounds and the magical energy taking away her sleep. She had not left an experiment over the night, she was certain.

She opened her eyes with a stern look into the ceiling.

“It’s bad enough that I have not figured out how to sleep with the wings yet. Now somepony has the nerve to steal from my own private collection!” she grumbled.

This inner monologue woke Twilight fully and she was running into the main hall, sprinting right next to the still snoozing Spike, who always found a way to avoid Twilight’s rambling, even if they were important or not.

The mare made it just in time to see Sweetie Belle finish the spell, and her screams to stop were subdued by a magical bubble around her and the Crusaders. A strong force knocked the mares against the walls of the library, knocking them into unconsciousness. It would take the whole night for the four mares to recover from the spell, and wake up with the first rays of sunshine.


Twilight was the first to wake up, with groan and cough due to the dust she swallowed, she surveyed the scene of the crime. To her amazement, the library seemed to not have a scratch on it. Even though the intense magical energy knocked them out, nothing was damaged nor changed from the spell. Her sense of relief would come crashing down, as she walked by the reading table, and the three mares that had cast the spell were laying on the floor, slowly coming to their hooves.

“Oh Celestia… this is going to give me such a headache!” Twilight placed her snout into her hooves, and her wings sloped downward in defeat.

“What are you talking about Twil… my voice, what happened to it?” asked Applebloom, whose voice gained a sterner tone. It was still feminine, but more mature and distinct. The fact that Twilight seemed shorter to her only made her resolve to look at the mirror behind the alicorn even stronger. She nearly slammed into it, as it took her way less steps to get there. All this and the mare in the mirror proved to her that the spell had worked, but maybe not as they intended.

Her fur was still the color of cream, and her mane was red, but the manecut was distinctly different. The back part had grown out, and her usual bow was gone, leaving it to curl around the side, complementing her more adult snout. The upper part of it was reminiscent of the old manestyle, but the twirls in it gave her a more country gal look then the working pony she had before. This was also evident by the twirls on her tail as well. Her physique was that of a young adult, and the sleek but muscular frame indicated that this mare was working hard on the farm for as long as she remembered.

Applebloom was in awe, but the small symbol on her thigh made her squeal like it was the Apple Family Reunion. It a chug of cider with a small apple on it. Quaint, ordinary, but hers. She had her cutie mark, and this time it was no strange disease or painted on. It was there and she knew it.

Her high pitched scream of joy made the rest of the Crusaders wake up as well.

Scootaloo opened her eyes, and was greeted by a sight of somepony familiar, or so she thought. As the white unicorn stood up, it was obvious she was taller than before. Her fur shined brightly in the morning sun, and her mane was absolutely wonderful. It seemed to flow even with the fact no wind was blowing, somehow capturing motion as the two colors in it twisted and turned. She instinctively flicked it over her larger horn, as she still tried to stand up. Her large green eyes were seemingly endless and Scootaloo could only utter: “Wow…” as her wings slowly began to rise. This burning sensation continued attack the unicorn as she saw four waving lines fit with a large note on Sweetie Belle’s thigh.

Sweetie Belle wanted to ask this strange mare that was red in the snout what is going on, but then she realized how eerie familiar she seemed. The manecut was more distinct, but the purple mane and the orange fur were clear sign of who she was looking at. The erect wings seemed teeming with power, and the body build befitting of a Wonderbolt made the question if her assumption was right. The cutie mark of a wheel fly as a comet made her even more intrigued.

“Scoots, is that you?” she asked, her voice simply musical, as if birds coming from Fluttershy’s cottage had passed by.

“Sweetie Belle?” the pegasus replied, her snout covered by wide smile.
As the two mares hugged, so did Twilight regain her composure.

“At least you are still okay, somewhat. Now, can you please explain me why I should not just send you to the Moon?” Twilight asked sarcastically, even though her new position in the kingdom did give her that privilege.

“We are sorry, Twilight. But we wanted to gain our cutie marks, and we thought some spell in your library might help us, and it did! Look!” Apple Bloom said, and flexed her plot in Twilight’s direction, much to the discomfort of the alicorn.

“Please, Applebloom, put that… just sit while I look at what you actually casted.” Twilight scolded the new young adult, and the other two Crusaders followed suite, sitting down behind the purple mare.

“Wow, a level 17 spell! Even though I am very angry you did not ask me first, I must applaud your magical capabilities, Sweetie Belle.”

“Uh...thanks?”

“Now, the spell is called Cutie Mark Protector. Figures why you chose it. Let’s look at the incantation:

Give me strength to not yield
For I wish only a mark to wield.
So that I may protect the ones I love
As they cannot bare to be the one
To whom I look for protection
And guidance to seek perfection.

“What does that mean?” asked Scootaloo.

“If you had asked me before, I would have done the research!” Twilight snapped back, still grumpy from the lack of sleep.

“Sorry…” the three mares replied in unison, cooling off Twilight.

A yawn and the creaking of the steps, followed by a small purple dragon froze the four mares, as Spike walked to the bathroom.

“Good morning gals!” he simply said, and closed the bathroom door.

“Wow, he is even more sleepy than usual. “ Twilight commented.

“But what are we going to do now? I can’t simply go back to the farm and pretend like nothing happened!” Applebloom said, fear and the realization of being grounded coming to her.

“I don’t know, but we must not let anypony see you. I have a cloaking spell that…”
Twilight’s suggestion was cut short as white filly ran into the library, completely out of breath. Her mane was purple and twirled up. Her eyes glowed and she yelled: “Big sis, big sis, come quick! There is a producer from Manehattan coming to the studio! He says he wants to give you a part in his movie!”

As the young filly tried to push the stunned Sweetie Belle into the door, Twilight asked the obvious question: “Rarity?”

“Yes, Miss Sparkle?” she replied.

As this idea began to sit in, Twilight nodded to Sweetie Belle it was okay to go, as if to pretend nothing had happened.
The two sisters were out quickly, and disappeared into the direction Rarity’s boutique is located. The other three mares simply looked at each other, only for Twilight to break the silence once again.

“At least we know there is no need to hide anything. Applebloom, I will accompany you to the farm. Scootaloo, please go to Cloudsdale check up on Rainbow Dash.”

“But she is not my real sister…” Scoots replied, a sliver of regret at the truth of that statement.

“I have a hunch this spell does not really care about direct bloodlines, and if something has happened to her, better to know sooner, right?”

“Understood.” Scoots said as she walked to the door.

“Why not try and fly, Scoots?” Applebloom suggested.

Scootaloo was about to grumbly say no, but the idea was begun to seem not a cruel joke. She flexed the large wings she possessed now. They seemed to be bigger than the usual pegasus, somewhere between Dash and Celestia’s.
With one powerful swoosh, Scootaloo was airborne, and hit her head against the celling. The pain was overpowered by the joy of flight she had, and she laughed as she ran circles inside the library. With grace she stood back on the ground proudly, as the two mares were left gobsmacked.

“See you later gals!” she yelled, and flew to Cloudsdale via the large oval window up top, much like her idol before her.

“So fast…” the two mares said in unison.

“That leaves only us, Miss Applebloom.” Twilight said jokingly.

“Very funny. I just hope big sis and big brother are okay. I could never forgive myself if something happened to her.”

“I think she will be alright, albeit somewhat smaller in stature.”

“You think?”

“I know so.” Twilight lied, hiding her insecurity behind Applebloom’s.
The two mares closed the door behind them, and went to Apple Acres.

“I made pancakes!” Spike yelled, only to be greeted by silence.

“Oh great, they already left. It’s not like I enjoy when somepony notices my existence. Might as well go to Soprano Studio. Sweetie Belle is usually practicing in this hour, and I am in the mood for some quality singing. Plus, Rarity might be there…” the dragon contemplated, as he devoured the pancake pile he meant for him, and locked the door of the library.

Author's Note:

I hope you enjoy the premise, it took way too long to get an idea that did not seem to cliche, while still fun and leaving space for some romance and sweet situational comedy. In the next chapter we get to see what is going on in the Studio. Hope to see you there!

Editing done by http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Barnabi Thank You!