• Published 21st Feb 2012
  • 5,807 Views, 308 Comments

Diary of a Ruler - Lamia



Thoughts of the sun princess.

  • ...
16
 308
 5,807

Entry 179 - Routine

The Grand Galloping Gala has once again passed today. This time, I was actually looking forward to it; Twilight mentioned in a letter that she was hoping to visit with me for the duration. I hoped to catch her interest on recent happenings and research that she may have missed out on... and simply talk, of course.

Preparations were typical. The arrival of the standard performers, the usual feast, visiting with the higher-classed and respected ponies that came to the castle early. It was even more repetitive this gala than the last. Perhaps it was merely my perception influenced by anticipation.

I observed dancers, singers, and musicians carry out last-minute rehearsals this afternoon at one of the concert halls. They were by no means unskilled, but they did not attract my attention. Everything seemed so... static. This celebration truly was no different from the last. It bothered me that I could not enjoy this event any longer. It did not help that my day-to-day life as a princess was essentially the same, as well.

I recall Luna approached and informed me that she was not interested in the gala, having more important matters to contend with. She did not explain what they were, but even so, her presence was not necessary whether or not she wanted to participate. I was rather envious of her position on the matter. To be honest, I was hoping that she would spend some time with me today; though I can understand if she still felt mildly bitter about what I did to her. I believe I deserve some estrangement from my sister.

Eventually, night fell, and the festivities had begun. Ponies from every place imaginable came to Canterlot this year, as with every year. Well-dressed, well-mannered, well-spoken, all of them were the same. Nopony stood out. Do they not tire of being that way? I suppose it seems rather hypocritical of me to comment. I do not believe I have changed considerably over the centuries, myself.

I was then relieved after at least an hour had passed; Twilight appeared at the door, instantly lifting my spirits. She galloped towards me and up the stairs, and I gave her outfit a once-over as she came closer. It was a most beautiful dress that truly brought out her inner passion and personality, and most of all, her eyes... She seemed overjoyed to see and speak with me, and I let her know that I wanted to be with her for the rest of the night. My student gave me a reason to enjoy the gala, for once.

Unfortunately, we had very little time to converse. More and more well-known ponies appeared so that they could greet me, even though I did not want to spend all of the night doing this again. I asked Twilight if we should simply find someplace else to be, though she insisted that it was important to greet them; however, I could see the disappointment in her eyes that we could not make much time together. I supposed that there was always time outside of the gala, but I felt no joy to more or less set her aside.

I wanted so very much to have an opportunity to talk with her privately, to let her know about recent events and to chat about magic again. There was also... I still have never told her that... Told her the truth about how I believe I am feeling. I must act quickly, before I miss my chance. Though, it must be delivered properly. Consideration for the confession must be taken seriously, but making it into a big matter seems a bit unnecessary. I should just come out with it... I shook the frustrating thoughts out of my head.

As I continued with a forced smile to greet the visiting ponies, there were loud crashes and some rumbling coming from the direction of the dining hall. Twilight and I dashed down the corridors to the door and opened it, getting a view of the destruction. Everypony was looking at Twilight's friends; they must have been responsible.

My student noted that it could not get worse. Almost on cue, a stampede of the garden animals burst through the outside door, Twilight's normally soft-spoken friend Fluttershy coming in a moment after and yelling at the top of her lungs. I had no idea she was able to do that. As the animals ran amok and made the mess in the place even worse, I decided it would be a good idea for Twilight and her friends to leave. I leaned down and whispered for her to run; I chuckled to myself afterward at that, watching them gallop away.

I stayed to check the damage, quickly fixing the pillars and the artistic statue with a simple spell, along with guiding the creatures back to the garden. Everypony still here was quite disgruntled, wondering who could have invited such ruffians to this wonderful celebration. If I did not have an image to keep, I would have burst out laughing at the constant comments. I kept my head, however, holding back until I am alone, such as now.

After everything had been taken care of, I decided to look for Twilight. Asking around, I was told they were seen fleeing to the nearby donut bar, so I followed. Entering quietly, I heard them talk about their horrible experience at one of the booths; I then announced my presence to let them know how I thought otherwise about it.

They all seemed quite confused, but they would not understand very well to begin with. Every gala is the same: no variation, no unique qualities, nothing I could say was special. Twilight and her friends made it so, for me. Their little exploits no doubt will cause much talk, and when everypony finds out it was I who invited them, there will be even more unrest. Even now, I find myself giggling slightly. It truly was the best gala I had ever attended.

Sometimes, I believe we need a little chaos in our lives to make things a bit more interesting.

Twilight is with me in my private study as I write, the two of us finally getting the personal time we both desired. I mentioned to her that a diary should be kept by anypony, even a princess. I certainly enjoy the nostalgia when looking back on my life. Hopefully, I have convinced her to keep her own.