• Published 5th Oct 2011
  • 893 Views, 5 Comments

Clashes of Destiny - Silver Tail



The Ponies of Equestria venture beyond their peaceful lands, and find more than they ever imagined.

  • ...
 5
 893

Moonlit Waters

Chapter 2: Moonlit Waters

Luna woke from a deep sleep, the light streaming in through her window showing the sun almost meeting the sea as it prepared to set. A gentle tingle in her horn let her know it was almost time to raise the moon. Rolling to her hooves, she quickly made her way up the steps onto the deck, her two guards following a step behind. White Cap was still at the wheel where she had last seen him. The rest of the crew ponies were working the ropes and lines to keep the sails full.

"Did you have a good sleep you Majesty?" White Cap asked as Luna walked up to the raised rear of the ship.

"Yes, thank you," Luna smiled. "The motion of the water is actually quite soothing."

"I'm glad to hear it; sometimes a pony's first time at sea consists mainly of leaning over the railing."

"How unfortunate," Luna said. She watched as the sun moved closer to the horizon. "It's time for me to raise the moon if you'd care to watch." With a single beat of her wings she jumped to the middle of the deck. Closing her eyes, she could feel the moon below the horizon, waiting for her summons. Closing her eyes, she willed the moon to rise, and slowly she could feel it respond. In her mind's eye she could see the moon slowly begin to rise as her sister's sun set, the endless cycle completing itself once more as the night began. She could sense the presence of the other ponies around her, and the knowledge that others were watching the moonrise filled her with a warmth she had not felt for many years.

White Cap and the rest of the crew watched in silent awe as Princess Luna called the moon over the horizon. As the light from the sun faded, a faint glow formed around the Princess. Her mane glittered with sparks of light like the night sky as moonlight washed over her, and a bright smile lit up her face as she rose into the air. Her wings beating gently, she basked in the first light of the moon, surrounded by a halo of silver magical energy. Everypony watching her felt a gentle calm fill them, a sense of peace and comfort that banished doubts and worries and left a warmth within, like a warm bed waiting after a long day.

Once the moon was fully visible Luna gently landed on the deck, smiling as she saw the ponies still watching her. "Did you enjoy the moonrise?" She asked.

"It was wonderful your Highness," White Cap smiled. The rest of the crew ponies nodded in agreement.

"I'm glad," Luna replied. "It's been so long since I've shared the moonrise with anyone. Nights in the palace are always quiet."

"Well then, would you care to join us for dinner?" The crew leader asked, trying to keep the nervousness he felt from showing on his face. "It may not be up to the standards you're used to in the royal palace, but if you're looking for a place to enjoy a good conversation it's the best onboard ship."

"I'd be delighted," Luna smiled. She'd brought food with her from the palace, but the offer of a pleasant dinner getting to know the ponies taking her to the Colonies was something she wasn't about to turn down.

"Outstanding," White Cap replied. He passed control of the wheel to a green coated unicorn and led the Princess down the stairs and into a room below the upper deck. About two dozen ponies were already inside and filling their plates from the assortment of dishes on the large table which dominated the room. When Luna entered they rose to their feet and bowed.

"Please, you don't have to do that every time I enter a room," Luna laughed lightly. "I'm starting to see why my sister prefers to spend her time in one place." Levitating a plate from a small stack, Luna looked at what the crew was eating. The food was simpler than what she was typically served in the palace, but if it was an enjoyable as the company she had been enjoying the moon Princess knew she would love it. Taking some daffodil and grass salad and a serving of sliced apples, she sat near White Cap and took her first bite. "Very good," she smiled.

"Thank you Princess. Flowers and grass don't keep very long, so we typically eat those first once we set out on a voyage," White Cap said.

As she ate, Luna could still feel the tension in the room and understood. She WAS a Princess of Equestria after all; it was only natural for other ponies to be nervous around her she knew. The two royal unicorns seated nearby didn't help either. She'd heard it often enough from Celestia how ponies were afraid to be themselves around her, how they said anything they thought would please her. That wasn't how Luna wanted the ponies on the ship to act around her; she wanted to see the happiness in their eyes she'd seen after she'd raised the moon. "Tell me, how do you keep the ship headed toward its destination?" She asked. "Do you use magic?"

"Actually your Highness, we navigate at night by using the stars," a blond coated Earth Pony seated to Luna's right replied. "We use the positions of stars and constellations to determine what direction we're heading. The earliest ships recorded their routes and the star patterns that let them keep on course."

"Fascinating, my night helps you find your way," Luna smiled. Without even knowing it, she'd been helping every ship which sailed the ocean find its way. The thought filled her with great joy as she imagined all the ponies sailing under her starlight, ponies she'd never known she was aiding. "I'm happy I can help so many ponies."

The rest of the meal passed fairly quickly. Luna asked about the specifics of navigating by the stars; White Cap promised to show her the various star formations later. The tension Luna had felt slowly went away, and laughter filled the room as several of the ponies told jokes made up during their long voyages. Luna smiled throughout the meal. It had been so long since she had felt happiness like she had felt since boarding the ship. She was finally with ponies that not only enjoyed her night, but used it to fulfill their special purposes.

Once the last of the food was eaten, most of the ponies retired to their rooms to sleep until the sunrise. White Cap and Luna made their way out onto the main deck area where the crew leader showed Luna the constellations the ship sailed by. Some she recognized, like the Ursas, while others were new to her eyes. She listened carefully as White Cap pointed out the Stalking Serpent, Midnight's Saddle and others. Her eyes took it all in, and her heart swelled as she shared the stories of the constellations she knew. "Thank you White Cap, for showing me all of this."
"It was my honor Princess," the Earth Pony replied, bowing his head slightly. "Not many ponies know the stories behind the stars we sail our ships by."

"Would it be possible for me to help with sailing the ship?" Luna asked after a short pause. "I feel like I'm the only pony onboard not doing anything."

"You're our honored guest your Highness," White Cap said quickly. "Simply having one of the Princesses of Equestria on our ship is more than enough."

"I could always make it an order," Luna said with a small smirk which lasted only a few seconds. "I've never met ponies who enjoyed my night before. I was always alone in Canterlot, with only my moon as a companion. Since I met you and your crew, I've been so happy. You loved my moonrise, and I want to repay you for all the kindness you've shown me."

White Cap brushed his mane nervously. Princess Luna was turning out to be very different than what he'd imagined her to be. He'd never imagined a princess wanting to help with the mundane operations of a sailing ship. "Well, if you really have your heart set on it, you could help with the ropes. Our Pegasi keep the wind in our favor, but we still need to adjust the sails to get the most out of it. It's not too difficult once you know all the lines and where they go. Blue Crest!" The crew leader called out, and a pale green stallion with a deep blue mane trotted over. "I'd like you to show Princess Luna how to work the ropes and lines. She'll be helping out a bit around here."

"Oh, I see," the Unicorn said, eyes widening for a second. "It would be my honor Princess," he bowed.

"Thank you, I promise to be a quick study," Luna said.

"Shall we get started then?" Still not completely believing what he'd been asked to do, Blue Crest lead Luna over to where a rope was tied to the deck railing. "We'll start with some basics. Have you ever manipulated rope or maybe a piece of string before?"

"Yes, I refined my magic control by making designs with string, but never anything as large as the ropes and lines on the ship," Luna answered.

"All right, then watch me. You have to know the knot you're trying to tie or undo or you'll end up getting it tangled or it may slip." Blue Crest's horn glowed a pale green and the knot slowly unwound itself. The line went straight before tying itself back where it had been. "Now you try."

"All right," Luna said as she focused her magic on the rope knot. She had watched closely at what Blue Crest had done, and thinking back to her early magic training, she easily undid the knot and held the line steady before tying it back up. "How did I do?" She asked.

"Well done," Blue Crest smiled. The look on the Princess's face was not unlike that of a young filly seeking her parents' approval. "But tying a knot is simple. You have to know what kind of know is best for the type of line you're tying off, and what the line itself does."

"I'm ready to learn," Luna smiled as she looked up at the forest of lines and ropes above her. "I've never met a lesson I couldn't master."

For most of the night, Luna and her new teacher went over how the ropes controlled the sails, the best types of knots for various tasks and how combinations of lines were able to move the ship. Luna's smile never left her face as she committed everything Blue Crest told her to memory. The sails above her almost glowed in the light of her moon, and by the time the night was coming to an end the Princess was confident she was ready to help guide the ship to land.

"You're a very quick learner," Blue Crest said. "I think you're ready for a shift as part of the crew."

"Well you're a very good teacher," Luna replied as she felt a sudden tingle in her horn. "But that will have to wait. It's nearly dawn and I have to lower the moon." Focusing on the silvery orb above her, Luna's horn began glowing with a bright violet energy. Slowly the moon started to move down toward the horizon, while at the opposite edge of view the sky brightened as the sun came into view. The silvery glow of Luna's night faded as the brilliant rays of Celestia's day filled the air.
As the moon fully set Luna suddenly gave a great yawn. "Oh, pardon me, but I believe it's time for me to get some rest. Thank you again Blue Crest for your lessons. Tonight I hope I can take you up on your offer to participate in helping move the ship."

"Of course Princess Luna," the unicorn bowed.

Luna slowly made her way down to her cabin and lay on her bed. Closing the small wooden panel in front of her window with her magic, the room quickly became mostly dark. Levitating over a scroll and inkwell, Luna began writing her first letter home, the glow from her horn illuminating the paper.

Dear Big Sister,
This last day has been such a change for me that I scarcely know where to begin. I've found ponies who love my night! When I raised the moon they were all watching me, and I could tell each of them enjoyed it greatly. It's been so long since I felt happiness like I did at that moment. White Cap, the crew leader, shared stories about the constellations with me, and I also learned about how to help sail the ship by helping with the lines and controlling the sails. Come tonight's moonrise I'll actually be helping the crew. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to that, nor can I say with words how thankful I am that you allowed me to go on this voyage. The last time I felt as happy as I do now was when I performed my first moonrise for our mother. I must get some rest now, but I'll send my next letter tomorrow.
Your sister, Princess Luna

Luna quickly rolled up the parchment and wrapped her seal around it. A brief spell and the letter vanished in a puff of purple spoke. As Luna rested her head on the pillows and draped the sheets over herself, memories of her mother and father rose unbidden in her mind. Even after so many years, she missed them greatly. Her mother had been so proud when Luna had shown how quickly her magic was growing, and the day she had inherited the power of the moon was Luna's fondest memory. As sleep claimed her, she could see her mother's face as the two of them watched the young princess's first moonrise together.

Comments ( 1 )

Yay!^_^

This is good!^_^

A great fanfiction!^_^

I like this!^_^

Please update more on this soon hmmm!^_^

Login or register to comment