• Published 2nd Aug 2013
  • 1,943 Views, 31 Comments

Vampershy - DJ TR33



Fluttershy is turned into a vampony by a mysterious bat. Meanwhile, a strange pony comes to Ponyville to investigate a series of peculiar murders.

  • ...
5
 31
 1,943

Chapter 1

Fluttershy opened the back door to her cottage, dragging a large sack behind her. She gripped it tightly in her mouth, using all of her strength to pull it out the door. Slowly she made her way out into the yard, where a dozen chickens wandered around aimlessly. As soon as they saw her, though, they rushed forward, crowding around the pegasus and the bag.

"All right, everyone, just calm down," she said through the cloth in her mouth, her muffled voice almost getting lost in the squawks of the birds around her. "Calm down, there's enough here for everyone." The birds settled down a bit, although they still circled her. Once she had reached the center of the yard, she let the bag go. It fell to the ground, spilling bird seed out onto the dirt.

The chickens rushed forward, gobbling up the seeds. Fluttershy opened her wings and flew a over them, landing on the other side of the bag and picking it up to spill out a third of the remaining food. As the birds clustered around it, she gripped the bag in her mouth once more and dragged it back to the side of her cottage, propping it up against the wall. There was still another two day's worth of feed in it, so she wouldn't have to go buy another one until Saturday.

Having taken care of the chickens, she flew up and checked on the other birds in the trees that lay on her property. The robins seemed to be fine, and their chicks were beginning to replace their downy feathers with the mature feathers of adults. She smiled as one of them hopped over, fluttering it's developing wings to glide up onto her head. It gave a little celebratory song that made the pegasus giggle before gently putting it back in the nest.

The other birds also seemed to be doing well when she checked on them, although the hawk that was nesting on the cottage roof looked like it might be getting a bit sick. After a quick examination, though, she figured out it was just tired from a long flight.

By the time she had looked at every animal that was nesting, burrowing, or generally living on her property the sun had begun to go down behind the horizon. She'd also found a mouse with a sore throat, an otter with a sprained leg, and a fox with a bad toothache. All of these animals she'd brought into her house, where she could treat their ailments better. Now the mouse was sleeping, having swallowed a drop of cough syrup, the otter was in a splint, resting under the cottage's couch, and the fox was back in his burrow, sans the infected tooth.

Fluttershy yawned, ready for bed, although she had a few things she needed to take care of first. Two of those things she was taking care of at the same time as she stirred a carrot stew around in a large pot. Angel, her friend and companion, was sitting on the counter next to the stove and wearing an overly large chef's hat. He dipped a spoon into the mix, brought it up to his nose, and then took a deep sip. He coughed, miming disgust, then wacked the pegasus on the head with the spoon.

She flinched, then added some more carrots to the pot. A few more stirs and it apparently met his approval, seeing as he didn't whack her again. She poured the stew out into two bowls and carried them over to the table, setting one on each side. Angel hopped by and sat down on one end as Fluttershy sat at the other. The bunny had gotten rid of the chef's hat but he was still holding the spoon in one paw, and he started to dig in as soon as he sat down. On the other side of the table, Fluttershy was blowing on her spoon to cool the stew down.

For a few moments the house was nearly silent, with the only sounds being Angel's furious eating and Fluttershy slowly making her way through her own bowl. Unsurprisingly, the bunny finished before the pegasus. As soon as he was done, he got up on the table an mimed yawning, then stared pointedly at Fluttershy. She finished a spoonful , then smiled at him.

"I just have one more thing to do," she told him. "Then I'll go to sleep."

He gave her a flat look, and she blushed. There were times she'd lost track of time when taking care of an animal and had been an hour or two late getting to bed. Since she liked to rise at dawn, this made her extremely sleepy the next day. It wasn't that she got irritable as much as that she became forgetful and more prone to accidents. The last time it happened, Angel had ended up upside down and covered in pink paint.

"It'll only take twenty minutes," she told him. "I promise."

Angel still looked unconvinced. He gestured at himself, then at her, indicating that he'd come with her to make sure she didn't do anything stupid. Fluttershy just gave him a smile, and then she finished off the last of her stew. She took the bowls back into the kitchen, leaving them on the counter. She'd deal with them the next day.

She walked out the back door, Angel hopping next to her. She made her way through the yard, passing the chicken coop where the normally energetic chickens were all sleeping. She unlatched the gate and looked out at the Everfree forest, swallowing her fear. As scary as the forest was in the day, it was ten times worse at night.

Suddenly, she let out a small shriek as she saw something moved between the trees, appearing for a second and then vanishing again. The mare leapt backwards, and the gate loudly slammed shut, causing her to jump again.

"Wh-what was that?" she said, looking at Angel. He shrugged and rolled his eyes, then gestured forward impatiently. "Oh, right. I suppose I am being a bit silly." She pushed the gate open again, turning right onto a slightly worn path towards the White Tail Woods, resolutely not looking at the other forest.

As she crossed over into the Woods, Fluttershy let herself relax a bit more. She liked to be in bed by the time night came about, but she wasn't particularly scared of the animals that preferred it to day. It was the magical creatures in the Everfree right next to her house that had her petrified with fear.

She gave a nervous chuckle to that last thought, realizing how appropriate it was. Angel looked at her a bit strangely, but that was okay. He was used to her little idiosyncrasies.

Suddenly, she felt a shift in the night, a darkness that hadn't been there before. It was difficult to describe what it was with words, but the mares instincts were screaming danger. She whipped around in time to catch a black shadow flying up through the trees and out of her sight. She stared after it for a moment before Angel smacked her in the back of the head, gesturing impatiently.

"It's just a bat," she said to herself, although the feeling of unease didn't disperse. It was silly of her to be afraid of a bat, especially since she was out in the forest to check up on a bat colony anyways.

As she thought this, the hollow tree that served as the colony's roost came into view. It'd been a large tree before a stray lightning strike had knocked off the top and burned out the inside. Now it served as a summer roost for a local colony of bats. As she approached it, a swarm of bests burst from a small hole and started circling her, calling out in pitches at the edge of her hearing. After a moment, they split apart and landed on the branches of the trees that surrounded her. She smiled and lifted a hoof for one of them to land on.

Some of the younger bats took off and jockeyed with each other for a moment, then one of them came out and perched upside down on her hoof. She brought him up to her face, taking a moment to examine his wings and fur. Finding that he was healthy, she gave him a quick nuzzle, then held her hoof up high to give him enough space to get back into the air.

"Anyone need help?" she asked, her voice carrying over the cacophony of bat wings. When none of them came down, she smiled. She never minded when they did, but she always liked it when none of her animal friends were hurt or sick.

Suddenly, she heard a pair of wings come from behind. Turning, she saw a large male bat flapping towards her. Something seemed strange about him, but she couldn't quite place it, and the feeling of unease she'd had was back, stronger than ever. Still, that wasn't a cause for not helping someone, so she steeled herself against the fear and moved forward.

Again she held out her front leg. He didn't seem to want to perch on it, and was instead hovering in front of her, so she brought it back down again, with perhaps a bit too much enthusiasm.

"What is it?" she asked, hoping that whatever he needed, it wouldn't take much time. Something about this bat felt wrong and unnatural, and her instincts were telling her to get away as quickly as possible. She shoved the thought aside guiltily, and realized that he hadn't responded to her question. "What's wrong?"

Getting no reaction, she turned to look at the other bats of the colony, hoping they'd provide some insight. Instead, she found the bats hugging the trees, staring in terrified silence at the creature in front of her. Angel had pressed himself up against her leg and was shaking in fear, his normally haughty expression replaced by one of complete terror.

As she took this in, Fluttershy realized one of the things that had been bugging her about the strange bat. He was a male, a mature adult male, in a nursing roost where only mothers and their young are allowed. A male at a nursery roost was as unnatural as an owl going out in the day. She started to turn back.

"What are-" was as far as she got before the creature lunged forward, it's eyes flashing red. The creature opened its mouth wide, showing off the abnormally large fangs that the mare knew weren't supposed to be in any bat. Her eyes widened as she realized the implication of that statement. Then the creature plunged its fangs into her neck and her world dissolved into pain.