• Published 6th Aug 2013
  • 5,859 Views, 140 Comments

A Week In The Life - Comet Burst



When a certain timid yellow pegasus gets a date with one of the most available mares in Ponyville, what follows is a story of intrigue, suspense and general shenannigans.

  • ...
21
 140
 5,859

Monday

The cry of the rooster early in the morning was usually considered a nice wake-up call. The noise will ring out across a farm, signaling the beginning of a new day. In Butterscotch's cottage, however, the noise came from several different rooms and was subsequently followed by other animal cries. For the butter yellow pegasus, however, he yawned loudly and sat upright on his bed, as if this was normal for him. In quick succession, a small group of squirrels, three songbirds and a bear trudged by his door, each more cranky than the last. Any other pony would assume one of two things: either their home had been broken into or they had thrown one wild party last night. For Butterscotch, however, he just rubbed his eyes and got out of bed.

A typical morning for him consisted of a set schedule: get up, make his bed before the dogs ran in, get to the bathroom to shower while avoiding the herd of bunnies from the next room, argue with the bear about who needs the shower first, wait for the bear to finish by feeding the other animals, remove hairballs from drain, take shower, dry off while listening to the chipmunks argue with the field mice about the acorns. After all of that happened, Butterscotch felt his day was ready to begin, and by begin, I mean having his best friend Rainbow Blitz come in through the window, scaring the squirrels into jumping onto him. After a short rodeo for the squirrels, Butterscotch eventually got them to get off of his friend, who yelled some colorful words after them.

"Rainbow," the yellow doormat pleaded, "Please stop yelling. You'll upset Barry again."

"And good riddance, you dumb, little furballs!" the cyan pegasus yelled at the group of fluffy tails scampering away. His lightning bolt shaped eyebrows were furled above his blazing magenta eyes, making his gaze intimidating. Blitz's prismatic mane spiked up at random intervals, accentuated by his stringy tail and lightning bolt cutie mark. He shook a hoof after the group, but stopped as soon as they rounded the corner of the den.

Turning to Butterscotch, Blitz pulled his nose back in disgust and said, "Jeez, Scotch, how can you keep those little pests?"

"They're not so bad, Blitz," the yellow pegasus mumbled back, "If you'd stop yelling so much..."

"What was that?!" Blitz yelled back, his back to Butterscotch as he trotted into the kitchen.

Butterscotch trotted after his friend, who found him with his head buried inside his fridge.

"I said, you really should be nicer..." he mumbled again.

"What?!" Blitz hollered, not removing his head from the interior of his friend's refrigerator. The sound of food being chewed followed quickly.

"Blitz, could you please stop..."

"Can't hear ya!" the cyan pegasus shouted, pulling his head back. His cheeks were bigger than his eyes as he chewed slowly, flecks of red and brown dotting around his lips at random intervals.

"Thss rlly gud," he mouthed between bites.

Butterscotch sighed heavily and lowered his head, defeated.

"Was that the plate with the note asking you to not eat it?" he asked timidly. Looking up, he saw Blitz picking his teeth with the aforementioned note. The pony gave him a blank stare before uttering a single syllable.

"Uh..." he stated lamely.


Two hours (and thirty two bits worth of food) later, Blitz flapped his wings as he flew around in the sky, practicing his aerial maneuvers in his quest to join the Wonderbolts. He performed barrel-roll after barrel-roll, spinning so fast he became a rainbow-colored blur. Sitting on the hill below him was Butterscotch, watching the performance with mild interest. Next to him was a very familiar orange earth pony sporting a weather-beaten brown hat.

"What the hay is he doin' now?" he asked, clearly unimpressed. His green eyes watched lazily as Blitz switched to jack-knifes without losing a second.

"Practicing," Butterscotch stated plainly.

"Eeyup," came another voice, causing both ponies to turn their heads with a start.

Standing next to the stallions was a bright red earth pony mare with a dark orange mane and tail. Her own accessory, a faded yoke, hung around her neck as she slowly chewed on a stalk of hay. Butterscotch's face immediately turned bright red as he regarded the mare, turning away as quickly as he could.

"How long ya been there, Gala?" AJ asked with a hint of surprise in his voice.

The mare didn't answer, but just stood there as still as the trees surrounding them. Silence pervaded the hilltop once again as AJ looked back up to Blitz's performance along with Gala. Butterscotch, however, sat on his rump and stared at the ground, trying to rally what little courage he had to say something to the red mare next to him. He was always timid around mares, but Gala was something else. Ever since he had moved to Ponyville years ago, he had dealt with a crush on Gala since he first saw her. She was tall, pretty and nice to him, fueling his crush for years.

"H-hey Gala," he mumbled to her, still blushing.

He was sure he hadn't said it loud enough for her to hear, but to his amazement, the red mare turned to look at him and smiled.

"Hi there, Buttah-scotch," she replied.

Butterscotch was sure he was going to melt under her gaze, so he tentatively shook his head, trying to hide his eyes from the mare. He was only partially successful, but he could see her chuckle at him. His cheeks burned even more as he shied away again, but he wanted to say something else to her. As he tried to rally his courage again, Blitz finished performing his training routine and landed with a solid thump on his hooves. The sound was enough to cause Butterscotch to shriek in surprise and he darted away behind the nearest large object, which ironically was Gala.

"Hey there, Gala," Blitz flirted, his voice utterly full of himself, "Enjoy watching the show?"

Butterscotch peeked around behind Gala to see Blitz flash his well rehearsed smile and winked at the mass of red in front of him, causing AJ to yell at him. Ignoring his actions, Gala spun her head around and smiled gently to Butterscotch as he backed away, pushing himself back while he sat on his rump. She turned around and followed him as the yellow pegasus eventually stopped against a tree, blushing furiously as the red mare approached him. His mind raced with things to say, but all he managed to do was squeak.

"Ya okay over there?" Gala asked, still smiling sincerely at him.

*Squeak!* came Butterscotch again. He tried to look at the mare before him and locked eyes with her, still blushing.

Gala laughed at him, her musical laugh stopping the ambient noise of the two ponies yelling behind her. She put a hoof to her mouth and smiled again at him before speaking.

"Take care then, Buttah-scotch," she said before walking off into the trees, leaving a madly blushing pegasus to face his friends.

AJ sighed and shook head as Blitz crossed his forehooves and pouted, now hovering in the air.

"How the hay does he get Gala to pay attention to him and I don't?" Blitz grumbled.

"Maybe if ya stopped bein' such an air-headed showoff fer once," AJ started, turning a scowl to the pegasus, "She may act-ally want ta talk to ya."

Blitz harumphed at that, but ignored it.

"Must be some secret cologne he uses," he muttered to himself, "Or some kind of special pegasus magic I don't know about."

"Yeah, it's called Kindness, Blitz," AJ replied unhappily, "He is tha bearer of that element."

"So?!" Blitz shouted, rounding on AJ, "I'm the Element of Loyalty! That should mean something to the mares of this town!"

"Like what?" AJ goaded.

"Well, for starters I won't cheat on them!"

"Ah'm the Element of Honesty," AJ replied, "What is that supposed ta mean to a mare?"

"You'll tell them if they look fat," Blitz spoke as he grinned widely, "What mare wouldn't want that?"

"Why you little!" AJ shouted as he leaped up and tackled Blitz out of the air. Butterscotch, who had said nothing during that whole banter, gave another defeated sigh as the two ponies rolled around on the hill, both shouting and kicking at each other.

The yellow pegasus stood up, his legs wobbly after being so close to Gala. He was a weak willed pony and he knew it, but after listening to his friends' conversation, he wondered if it was indeed his element that made him and mares mesh when his friends, and most other stallions in Ponyville, couldn't.

"Fine!" came a shout from Blitz, "I'll show you you're wrong!"


"This is highly unorthodox, you guys," a purple unicorn stallion said to three pastel colored ponies. His sparkling purple eyes darted from one to another as his horn glowed with magic, holding aloft an ornate blue and gold box.

"Oh come on, egghead!" the familiar voice of Rainbow Blitz rang out, "It's not going to hurt us!"

"I don't know what will happen, though!" the unicorn replied worriedly.

"Dusk, wha's the worst that can happen?" the orange pony, AJ, asked.

"I just said I don't know!" Dusk Shine answered, "Any number of things could happen! You could have your personality altered, or even your body! Some rip in space and time could occur, changing us into something outrageous, like parasprites or mares! Or we could even--!"

"Dusk, ya been reading those fake magicky books again, haven't ya?" AJ asked with an unimpressed tone.

"Maybe, but so what if I have?!" Dusk replied, "Those sci-fi books are rooted in some truth!"

"Dusk!" Blitz shouted, "It's not gonna hurt us to wear one of the Elements for a day!"

"But it's not your Element!" Dusk pleaded, "You are Loyalty, not Kindness! I don't know what would happen if you wore the wrong one for even a second!"

"Oh, for the love of, just give me the bucking Element!" Blitz angrily said as he dove at Dusk Shine. The two wound up rolling around on the floor, Blitz with his hooves wrapped around the box while Dusk's magic still held it. They shouted and kicked, resembling the fight between Blitz and AJ earlier. Butterscotch just stood there silently, wishing he was somewhere else.

Eventually, Blitz managed to wrestle the box away from Dusk and hastily pulled out a golden leg band with a large, pink butterfly shaped gem embedded in it.

"Blitz, I'm serious!" Dusk shouted, a little bit of fear lacing his voice, "Don't!"

He didn't manage to finish before Blitz slipped the band around his forehoof. It stopped at his ankle, just above his hoof and sat there. The ponies each waited for something to happen, but the band remained still.

"Well, this is dumb!" Blitz shouted, "It's not doing anythi--!"

A sudden clap of thunder shook the library the ponies sat in. A large ball of white light enveloped Blitz and the Element of Kindness before a blur of cyan shot upwards at insane speed, busting through the roof and flying away. Butterscotch dove for cover behind a table as the light faded and peeked out, shivering like it was the middle of winter. Dusk coughed heavily as he picked himself up from the floor and looked around.

"Blitz?! AJ?! Butterscotch?!" he asked frantically.

"Ah'm over here," came a weak voice from underneath a pile of books. An orange hoof poked its way out of the pile and waved to the purple unicorn as Dusk looked around.

"P-P-Present!" came the terrified voice of Butterscotch.

"Blitz? Blitz?! Blitz!" Dusk shouted in fear. His eyes looked up to the hole in the roof and he screamed like a filly before darting out the door. AJ pulled himself out of the pile of books and took off after him with Butterscotch following him after shutting the door gently.

It took the three stallions the better part of half an hour, but eventually they found their prismatic friend dizzy in a tree.

"Blitz!" Dusk shouted for the eleventh hundred time, "Are you okay?!"

"Can ya'll hear us?!" AJ called up to him.

"Please don't be a mare!" Butterscotch weakly said.

The cyan stallion slowly shook his head and looked down at his friends.

"That... was... AWESOME!" he shouted.

Author's Note:

Here you go! Moar Butterscotch!



Blarg.