• Published 2nd Aug 2013
  • 2,666 Views, 158 Comments

Smoke & Mirrors - Doctah WAAwee



Ah yes, you give me free food, clean up after me, bathe me, give me free living space, and cater to my every need. Yes, I'M the stupid monkey.

  • ...
16
 158
 2,666

Tears

The hallway was cold. The steps Spike took as he walked to the main room of the library were loud and squeaky. The old floorboards making a distinct creaking sound every time his feet made contact with the old wood. It was strange, the weather schedule that Twilight, and every other pony in Ponyvillie, gets from Cloudsdale says that this was the peak of summer...which reminds him that he has to get a new schedule.

'That teaches me to -use Dragon Rush- in Twilight's room...'

The hallway was unbearably cold! It was like he was walking through...that tundra that separated the crystal-

'Screw it, I can't remember the name.'

He couldn't go on like this. He went to his room, got a winter, a winter coat, and put it on.

Now, dressed and insulated, he descends the stares to check up on Spider. He wonders what humans do when they're alone.


Creak...

Creak...

Creak...

The stairs made their district creaking sound as Amias walked up the stairs. His dark robe dragging across the floor ever so slightly due to its length. He opened the door of the libraries basement to once again return to the main library room. It was a mess.

When he opened the door to the underground cave, a fierce wind blew into the library, dropping the temperature of the old tree to a chilling degree.

Amias didn't feel it because of his robe, and his mask was extremely well fitting and snug, so no facial cold whatsoever.

He sensed a familiar presence coming closer to him, descending down the stairs to meet him once again.

He looked around to see that the library was still a mess...


"Hello boy!" Spike cheerfully said to the bed sheet clad human with a smile, "how was it all by yourself?"

Amias smiled and stared at him like a curious doglike tilt of the head. Spike went up to him and hugged his leg. Amias must've registered that he was cold, despite his huge coat, so he went on his knees and gave him a hug.

"Awww, you like me! I don't know why it's so cold, it's the middle of the summer!" Spike snuggled into Amias's warm form.

"Sweet Celestia, it feels like your wearing a silk robe! How good are these bed sheets!?"

A small growl escaped Amias mouth as he wrinkled his face in anger, he squeezed Spike a little. His true form showing for just a moment.

"Awww, you hungry boy?" Spike asked as he mistook his angry growl as one of the stomach variety, and his squeeze as a friendly one.

Amias quickly regained his composure and let go of Spike. He smiled and nodded enthusiastically. Spike lifted his arms to point them both at Amias, looking like a baby wanting to be held.

"Dragons don't really do well with the cold...can you carry me to the kitchen?" Spike asked.

Amias bent down and picked the little dragon up. Spike led Amias to the kitchen, where he put the little dragon down so he could whip up something special for the both of the-

"You can make your own sandwiches!?" Spike said in surprise as he watch Amias make a PB&J right in front of him, his long black finger nails not even encumbering the process of said sandwich making.

Spike was about to make one for himself, but was again caught by surprise as Amias suddenly produced another sandwich and presented it to the young dova.

"You made me... a sandwich?" Spike asks. Amias only nodded as he smiled and held out the sandwich. Spike took it and started eating the delicious snack as Amiss was happily eating his own sandwich. After the sandwiches were eaten, Spike went into the fridge and produced a pitcher of lemonade. He smiled when Amias already found two cups and put them on the table.

"I've never met a human so special... I really wish that Twilight got to keep you, It would be so awesome to have you here forever..." Spike admitted as he poured the lemonade into the glasses, "It would be so awesome to have you as a pet!...Heh, I say 'so awesome' a lot."

Amias took a sip of his lemonade and smiled.

"Want to go outside boy? I don't know why, but it's really cold in here! I-" Spike looked to the side in some annoyance.

"I also have some chores on my to-do list. Twilight can go to the Equestria games with all her friends, but me? Noooo, I have to 'make sure stuff doesn't pile up.'"

Spike looked at the bread loaf still on the table and smiled. His eyes widened as a devious smirk ran through his face.

"Spider, let me tell you a story. Come closer."

Amias scooched a little closer to Spike, curious as to what this story was. When Amias was close enough, Spike snickered and composed himself.

"Kay. One day Twilight got a new shipment of spell books from the royal Canterlot archives as Celestia's birthday present to her. She spent hours reading those books, one time I almost hit her with a frying pan because she started hallucinating due of the lack of sleep."

Spike snickered again and almost lost it, but he kept himself under control.

"So, one day, Twilight got real interested in one spell. It was an spell that animates objects, anything that isn't already alive and stuff like that. So Twilight, being the smart one, decides to animate something harmless..."

Spike grabbed two slices of bread from the bag that held them. He puts them on the table.

"So she decides to animate... a PB&J."

Spike let out another snicker.

"At first, the sandwich just laid there, doing absolutely nothing. When Twilight moved her head closer to it..."

Spike performed an uppercut to the air.

"POW! Right in the kisser!" Spike laughed out, "the sandwich stood up on two legs and started wailing on her. I was too busy laughing to help her! It screamed 'you won't take my jelly!'"

Spike couldn't hold it any longer and burst out laughing.

"Th-the sandwich threw jelly everywhere when it said that! Twilight was so confused that she couldn't even get it off! When she actually tried t-to do something..."

Spike held his stomach as another round of laughter came on.

"It flipped her! It just took her hoof and blam! She was on the table!"

Spike started crying as the laughter increased.

"When she was on the table, it jumped into the air and elbow dropped her! Then it went into the cupboards and rushed Twilight with two spoons! Two spoons! It dual wielded spoons! Spoons!"

Spike couldn't even stand, he was rolling on the floor. Amias was laughing hard too. After a while, Spike calmed down and brushed a tear from his eye.

"It escaped into the wild. Twilight never used that spell, or ate another PB&J after...that. Spider, are you okay?"

Amias was laughing and rolling on the floor because of the story; but that wasn't the reason he was worried. His laughter was... strained.

Amias stopped laughing to address Spike. He tilted his head in confusion as to why Spike was worried of his well being. He felt something warm and wet on his face, like something was leaking from his eyes. He felt his face to discover that...

He was crying.

These tears were not ones formed from laughter, as those would have stopped with the laughter as well. The tears that were plaguing Amias's eyes didn't stop, they continued in their formation, as if the human had sprung a leak.

Spike grabbed a paper towel from the roll next to the sink, but due to the height difference between Amias and himself, he had to stand up on the table to reach the humans face. He started drying the humans face with a glint of worry in his eyes.

He knew about humans from the books in the library, but he was no Lyra Heartstrings when it came to the human body. Regular humans aren't even suppose to smile, their intelligence and behavioral habits are on par with dogs. They're fiercely loyal when you get to know them, they somehow can sense the emotions of their masters, and comfort them with a level of kindness and intimacy only a handful of ponies can muster. A human's hug is suppose to be the ultimate sign of love and kindness from their species.

Some respected ponies in the field of anthropology suggest that humans have the potential to actually become sapient. But those beliefs led to some experimentation from the...less than loving percentage of ponies in Equestria.

Spike knew that Spider was not a regular human. He could smile, understand pony speech, respond with a level of intelligence he has only seen in either ponies...or Angel. He shuddered at imagining what sick and twisted magical experiments they did to him...the pain and abuse he must have felt in the caravan that stopped at ponyvillie for some apparent reason...the pain of all the other humans that were going to be sold as meat to the griffins...

Amias wasn't the only one crying now.

As he finished cleaning Amias's face, lost in his thoughts, Spike started shedding his own tears of sadness. Even though he had a lecherous side of his affection to humans, he still loved them...he still loved Spider...

A warm, comforting, embrace surrounded Spike's small form as he shed his tears. At first he was confused as to what was causing this feeling. But when he finally opened his eyes... it became clear.

That warm embrace was Amias giving Spike a hug. He held the baby dragon in his arms, rubbing his head spines and looking down to him in way a mother would comfort a crying child...

That's what Spike was.

The tears only multiplied as Spike wrapped his arms tightly around his waist. Burying his head in the humans chest as his tears picked up in strength.

Amias's smile never left his face as he held Spike, but his tears never stopped as well...

A stunning contradiction.

Spike sniffled as he regained his composure, "c'mon boy, let's go outside for a bit."

Three knocks were heard from the door.


Flip.

The district sound of a books pages turning could be heard. Amias sat down and started reading a book that he found on the floor while he was cleaning up the mess in the library. The little baby dragon known as 'Spike' was busy in the kitchen with an illusion he made to buy him time to clean...

He felt the bond that the illusion and Spike were making in the kitchen. Somewhere deep down, there was a part of him that wanted to be that illusion. Having the grandest time doing something as simple as making a sandwich...

'We had that with the ponies... but she cast it aside: like it was tantamount to trash...'

Flip.

The book that once caught his interest had lost its luster when the voices of the dead started talking.

Countless centuries of unrest can make sadness fester just as well as hate, and anger. Countless happy memories of humans interacting with ponies were flung around in his mind, as well as the cries and wails of the souls that had them.

He put the book aside and began to clean up the library in earnest. Placing each book in their corresponding order...

When he was done with the cleaning, he decided to go upstaires to the bathroom...

Creak.

Creak.

Creak.

Every step he took caused a creak in the floor of the ancient tree. He reached the bathroom and did only one thing...

He looked in the mirror.

A dark, terrifying form greeted his gaze. He saw a man robed in pure darkness. An eerie mask that spat out a haze of black mist replaced his face...

What was he? He didn't even know anymore. What he learned in that cave changed him, morphed him into something... dark.

His individuality was taken from him. He became an idea, a thirst for vengeance from a fallen race of humans from long ago...

He wasn't himself anymore, he wasn't anyone anymore, he wasn't the successful up and coming magician Amias Dolum anymore, he wasn't a smarter than average Equestrian human anymore...

He was many. A vessel for the souls of those slaughtered and defiled so many years ago...

He took off the mask and put it to the side, what greeted him were eyes that were never still, his pupils looked like they had fire in them. The white fire of an ocean of angry souls, the corners of his eyes released a steady steam of darkness...

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

The sound of water dripping into the sink was heard as Amias looked at the only thing that hadn't changed since the cave...

His tears.

He was crying. He watched as his crystal clear tears drip into the sink, the only thing that hasn't changed about him. Small whimpers of sadness left his mouth as his tears picked up in strength. His voice wasn't even his anymore, it was many at once, like all the souls inside his body were crying at the same time...

It sounded terrifying.

His crying continued for a good ten minutes. His tears stained his face as he expressed his sadness.

He dried his face off with a towel, and he picked up his mask and put it back on...

'She will pay.'


*Knock* *Knock* *Knock*

Loud knocking sounds echoed through the treehouse in quick succession.

"Do you think he's home Scoots?" Said a muffled voice from behind the door.

"Duh! They have to be! They don't let humans into the Equestria game! Somepony had to stay behind and take care of him, so who else but Spike?"

Author's Note:

IT'S ALIVE!!!!! But seriously, i found new inspiration for this story as I brainstorm for my others. Happy Thanksgiving!