• Published 1st Aug 2013
  • 6,145 Views, 141 Comments

Guardians of Many Hues - TadStone



Guardians come in many colours and personalities, protecting others or misusing their power. As Rainbow Dash finds Scootaloo alone after dark, it is her time to find her own place in the complicated network of protégés and protectors.

  • ...
6
 141
 6,145

Epilogue: A Rainbow in the Sky

Epilogue: A Rainbow in the Sky

Rainbow’s couch had been too huge to fit into one single room in the somewhat smaller flat, but even the part that did, was big enough to make for a comfortable place to sit together in the living room. They had made a habit out of it to meet on the soft cushioning at least half of all evenings, cuddling and spending time together right there, reading Daring Do, playing games or simply talking.

Two new pieces of metal had joined the impressive collection aligning on the wall right next to it, shining silver and golden respectively as brightly as the rest of the polished medals. The only difference was that they hadn’t been earned for athletic flying or even by Rainbow.

They were the proud result of Scootaloo’s very first Equestrian Junior Championship in scooting, besting at least two dozen other ponies equally distributed in gender and kind, all of them older and sporting a scooting cutie mark. Oh how they had hated to be owned by a blank flank. It had taken Rainbow some work to convince her protégé to participate and to train her for the event, but just the look at the faces of the other foals combined with the orange filly’s joy had more than made up for all of it.

The qualification in the local tournament had been a breeze. Having your own small skate park in the front lawn, authorised by Aegis and provided by Celestia as a thank you for great and fearless services to the country, really paid off and showed in the ever increasing repertoire of spectacular tricks.

Great things were waiting for Scootaloo in this world. Rainbow was sure of that. Her persistent lack of a cutie mark could only be explained by the notion that it was connected to some kind of scooting equivalent of the Sonic Rainboom. Once she had been gifted the ability to fly she was sure to get it.

Two and a half months had passed since Rainbow had received the crystal from Celestia and half of it had changed from dark blue to a cyan only slightly lighter than her own coat. The doctor’s prediction had been the doubled timeframe, even assuming a smaller stone. No pony could beat Dash. Another three month and they would be soaring through the sky side by side. She had played through that scenario many times in her head, sometimes even dreaming of it, ticking off the days in her calendar in happy anticipation.

The stone handed to Dash was second in size, only losing to one single other crystal, the yellow mineral encased into Commander Hurricane's armour, although it had probably not been yellow when the Commander had worn it. All history books described her to have been a mare as black as her armour. As many history books liked to point out, only the golden gleam of the ornaments of the plating could have been seen at night, spreading fear by mere sight.

After the birth of Hurricane’s first daughter, the whole country had been searched for a crystal rivalling the size of her mother's. Rainbow was wearing the result of this work around her neck.

Written in letters not used anymore for many hundred years, a message had been etched into the sturdy metal collar by a very skilled unicorn smith. Twilight had helped to decode them, detecting an ancient but still present protective spell worked into the material: “Take this part of me, as you are mine to protect beyond death.”

As opposed to her mother, Hurricane's daughter had indeed died of old age despite serving in the first lines during the great war against the invading gryphon empire.

It was more than fitting.

“I nearly did the triple flip.” Scootaloo’s voice echoed through the flat, perfectly in time as it was getting dark outside. Not once had she been late so far or even argued with the small set of established rules forcing her to fixed bed and dinner times that could only be excused on special occasions and beforehand approval.

Rainbow got up from the couch and trotted to the corridor, a big smile adorning her face. The “nearly” showed on her daughter in scrapes that hadn’t been there when the filly had left in the morning, but nothing too serious. Dash was only thankful for the fact that nopony knew the little pegasus without sporting this kind of injuries, otherwise they might have come to her, accusing her of being a bad parental figure. Instead, she had received nothing but praise of how well Scootaloo was doing thanks to her.

“You will make it tomorrow, I’m sure. Dinner is already set Scoots. I will wait in the kitchen until you’re washed up.”

“What did you make?” Only now Scootaloo opened up her helmet, hanging it up on the assigned wardrobe hook.

“Grilled aubergine filled with wheat grains,” Rainbow answered, leaning against the doorframe to the kitchen.

“Sounds great!” echoed from the bathroom followed by the drizzling sound of water running over hooves. Dash used the time to help both of them to a big serving of the freshly prepared food. It didn’t take long for the filly to follow her.

“You know I never asked you why you went to Ponyville and stayed here? You had so many possibilities to flee to much farther away from Trottingham.”

Scootaloo sat on the free chair next to Rainbow and took the plate that was hooved to her. She didn’t need time to think about this:

“I saw a rainbow guiding me towards it.”

Author's Note:

That's it. My first story ever ended. But don't fret, the sequel is already online!

Head over to the sequel: Lonely Mountains

Comments ( 22 )

“I saw a rainbow guiding me towards it.”

ok that was a very sweet ending ther omg :scootangel:

that was a good and very sweet ending:scootangel:

3379024 I litterly just searched for Weird Rainbow Dash on google...
I'm on my phone so I can't fix any links right now...

3383983
I am trying to lose weight not gain it:raritydespair:

Why does this story have a tragedy tag?

3442699

Because Scootaloo's past is tragic. I know this tag is a little controversial, since some people only regard the classic greek structure as indeed fitting for it. But I guess then you would have to remove it from most stories who have it. I don't know...

3442762
Look according to these sites deftion of tragedy, seen in the writers guide, tragedy refers to a story with a sad ending, example romo and julet, both of them die in the end, and don't get me wrong these story is amazing, although I do think that the interactions between the cutie mark cursders when sweetie bell is feeling guilty for thinking she had it hard, felt more like a romance then a friendship, did you do that on purpose?

3451880

The romantic part was intended.
They will be together in part 3.

3723520

The elements are NOT allowed to break the law, but only Celestia and Luna can pass judgement on them. If they have to break the law (or seem to do so) to rescue Equestria again, it's best if the police is not allowed to interfere.

Oh my Celestia please tell me you are making a part 3...

3967254

I'm currently writing on another pony project, but at some point in time there will be a part 3. I've already skteched out the storyline.

Feels like such a cliffhanger... But I absolutely loved this story!

True this story may not be all tragic but not that many other story's do that either so yea I liked it nice work and ill be reading your second part again though good job on keeping the OCs to the minimal roles not becoming mains.

5464493

Ups... interesting the nopony has ever noticed before...
It is fixed now. Thank you.

5594059

Licking is a rather instinctive behaviour for a large set of mammals. Especially, mares will lick their foals clean directly after birth. So licking your foal for real horses is part of mother foal bonding. This could as well be true for pastel coloured ponies. I mainly chose it because it felt right and a little more intimate and surprising than just cuddling etc.

A very sweet ending! I will admit that this story shows its age when it comes to some errors in grammar and style, but it was still an enjoyable read. I am really not one for Scootadopt or ScootaOrphan, but both were handled fairly well. My only other complaint is that I feel Applejack was too hard on Twi for her assumption, which also wasn't really resolved in the story (though I'm sure she was eventually forgiven).

All in all, definitely worth the early fave. Now to read the sequel!

I really, really love this fic. It just have become one of my favourites. It had all I wanted in a Scotaloo-Dash fic (Even the right amount of tragedy and how that would fit in a world of like Equestria), it even has a lot of applejack, wich makes a pretty perfect fic for me. Also, seriously, I've readed a lot of fics lately and this is one of the really few that really make me tear up a little in some scenes. Great job.

Feels>9000. Good Job.

Login or register to comment