• Published 24th Aug 2013
  • 333 Views, 2 Comments

Amethyst: the mystery behind the mare - Timstro59



The story of the life of Amethyst. A mare from The Dark World.

  • ...
 2
 333

Amethyst-The young years

“It’s the choices we make in life that determine our place in the world, but it’s how we choose to respond to calamity and adversity that determine who we are as individuals” -Unknown

In the ten years since Amethyst was born, a lot has happened. There were a few skirmishes between the Unicorn dominion and the Pegasus Dominion, war was averted thanks to the efforts of the Earth ponies acting as neutral mediators. A manticore attacked several cities along the Earth pony border with the Everfree forest. Oddly enough, the Griffons offered to mediate at any Peace summits that the Tribes find themselves at. The Earth ponies and Unicorns were glad and accepted the offer, the Pegasi were skeptical and paranoid but eventually accepted on the condition that only one griffon representative be allowed per tribe. Getting distracted, this story isn’t about that, it’s about Amethyst.

She was wandering in a field near the edge of town with a Unicorn Colt friend, not a coltfriend just a friend, named Dusk Shine. He’s a Purple unicorn colt with a mane of a darker shade. “Are your sure that there’s some around here?” “My mom told me there was some here.” They continued wandering the field until Dusk caught a glimmer of something sparkling, “I think I see one.” “Where?” “Over there.” He points over to an area with a taller grass than where they were standing. Amethyst walked over and searched and found the glimmer, “I found it.” She walked out carrying a gemstone in her mouth. “Wow, I can’t believe that worked.” “I told you it would. My mom finds these all the times. Let’s go show her.”

The two walked through Ponyville easily dodging the groups of ponies around until the came to a stop at Amethysts door. She opened and walked through, “Mom, I’m home and I’ve got something to show you. Come in Dusk, my parents won’t bite………very hard.” Duck chuckled uneasily as he walked through the door. Scarlet walked into the living room to see her daughter with a colt, “I’ve got one rule. No kissing.” “MOOOOM!!!” Scarlet laughed at the scarlet faces of the two in front of her, “I’m just joking. What’s your name?” “My name is Dusk Shine.” “Nice to meet you. So how old are you?” “I’m eleven. I already have my Cutie mark.” It’s revealed to be a star surrounded by 5 other smaller stars. “My special talent is magic.” “Oh really?” “yes mam, it is. But I really need to study if I’m going to get better. I need to get home, my mother is probably worried.” Both mother and daughter wish him good luck and said their good-byes. “You said you wanted to show me something?” Asked Scarlet. Amethyst perked up, “Yes mom, look at this.” She pulled an Amethyst out of her mane. “What have I told you about putting stuff in your mane?” “Only if it’s clean?” She asked with a smile. Scarlet shook her head. “This is a very beautiful amethyst. Where did you find it?” “In the field you find gems in.”

Scarlets mood darkened ever so slightly, “Please don’t go there without an adult. It’s very dangerous there.” “Why?” “A mare was killed there 2 years ago by a timberwolf. Please promise me you won’t go there again without an adult.” “Okay, I promise.” “I need to hear you say it.” “I promise never to go to those fields without an adult.” “Thank you.” “I want to try something, do you have any gold?” “Why?” “I want to try something.” “There’s a bar down in the basement, please don’t do anything crazy.” “Come on, I only burnt down the house once.”

She walked down into the basement, turned on the light and looked at her mothers work shop. There was a forge, an anvil, several molds for what looked like swords, some ingots of a metal she thought was iron, and some gold ingots. “There they are.” She walked into and tossed a gold ingot onto her back. “Wait, I need to make a mold first.” She placed the ingot onto the anvil and looked around for a blank mold. Not finding one, she shrugged, “I guess I have to do this the hard way.” She cut off a small section of the gold ingot using a diamond bladed hacksaw inexplicably placed there. She worked it into a shape, not knowing how she was doing it, until she got it into a shape she liked. She looked at her gemstone and placed it into the slot she made for it, and then she sealed the slot with a bit more hoof work. Then she crafted a chain with the left over bits and attached it to the setting she just made. “I just made a necklace. Hmm, it’s not quite finished yet.” She carved out a phrase onto it; she didn’t know what the phrase meant; only that it was important. She looked up at the clock at found that several hours had passed.

Once she cleaned up the work space down below she started her way back up the stairs, as soon as she reached the top, Scarlet threw the door open very fast, smacking poor Amethyst in the face and throwing her down the stairs. “OH MY!!! Amethyst are you alright?” Amethyst groans as she gets up, her necklace siding off her neck. Scarlet sees the necklace and asks “Did you make that?” Amethyst groans and stumbles as she attempts to get back onto her hooves. Scarlet rushes down the stairs to her daughter and sees a slight trickle of blood flow down her face. “You’re cut.” “I’ll be okay, mom. And yes, I did make the necklace.” Scarlet picks it up and inspects it. “This is beautiful. Where did you get this gem?” “I found it in the field you told me not to go to.” “And this inscription? Ab uno ad alterum, alterum a se? What does that mean?” “I don’t know. It just came to me. I don’t know how to explain it.” “Well I think it’s beautiful. So how much were you going to sell it for?” “Why would I sell it? I made it for myself. I love it mom.” “Okay dear, calm down.” “Please let me keep it.” “You can keep it.” “YAY!!” Amethyst rushed forward and hugged her mom very tightly around her neck, not noticing a flash from her flank. “Dear, you may want to look at your flank.” Amethyst turns her neck in curiosity. “MY CUTIE MARK!!!” An amethyst in the shape of a heart.

What brings us together? The need to be around others? A primal instinct? Something, as of yet, not understood? No, what brings us together is a bond that every individual shares. This bond is stronger in some than others. Most call this stronger bond, Love.

Three years later.

Amethyst Gemstone and Dusk Shine grew closer over the intervening years; ultimately they came to a small crossroad. Amethyst and Dusk were at a small diner in Ponyville. “What are we?” Asked Amethyst. “Isn’t that something you should ask your teacher?” Dusk replied. “No, I mean what are WE? Are we friends, or………just what are we?” Dusk shuffled uncomfortably, “What do you mean?” “We have gotten so close to each other that I want us to be more than just friends. I want you to be my coltfriend.” Dusk looked at Amethyst with his eyes wide, stammering wildly. “I..i…WHAT?!?!?” Amethyst shrunk at his reaction and looked ready to start crying. Dusk picked up on this, having been around her long enough to know her. “I’m sorry. It’s just I’m new to this sort of thing,” You’re not the only one. “But I’d like to be your coltfriend.” Amethyst beamed with excitement and jumped over the table and tackled her new Coltfriend in a hug and kissed him right on the lips. Amethyst suddenly remembered where they were and deeply blushed. But instead of the resentment they were expecting from an interracial relationship that came with the prejudice that the races have with each other, they heard cheering and applause. The owner of the diner came over and helped them off the floor, a unicorn with a specialty for cooking. “For the newest couple, Consider your dinner and meals paid for and dessert is on the house. Three cheers for our newest couple.”

News spread quickly of the newest couple in town and everywhere they went in town ponies were congratulating them on overcoming prejudice. And they lived happily ever after. Or so they would hope. Tragedy comes with many forms and in many ways, none of which you ever see until it’s far too late to do anything. The world they live in is a dark world and many lives have been destroyed in the struggle. Amethyst would find out the hard way that when you are most happy, you are most vulnerable to tragedy.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment