• Published 31st Jul 2013
  • 3,672 Views, 279 Comments

DANGAN RONPA Equestria: The Elements of Hope and Despair! - Nyte-Blade



Monobear takes over a class reunion, a tour of the new school Twilight just had built, bringing them to the Kingdom of Mutual Killing.

  • ...
11
 279
 3,672

Ch.2 (Ab)normal Days Part 2

“I want you to make a contract with me.”

“A contract!? What’s that supposed to mean?” I asked, backing away from him by reflex.

Rumble gets back in the swivel chair, letting out a quick sigh. “An agreement to help each other in slaying the poisoned friendships around us. A friendship is sickening and worthless to the balance of harmony when tainted by despair, you see.” Rumble explained as he swung left and right, smirking as he went on.

“And what gives you the right to judge other ponies’ friendships like that?! I don’t think like you at all!” I insisted, raising my tone ever so slightly.

What does he know?

“But you do. That moment when you magnificently displayed your hatred for Snips, I was intrigued. Why do you think I gave you that tip before the trial? Together, we reached the truth.” Rumble moved aside some of the papers on the desk, like he was revealing something.

“What...?”

“I great minds think alike, as the princess would probably say, and I just can’t leave a great mind alone; one who despises the worst kind of friendships.” Rumble elaborated.

I slammed my hoof on the top of the desk. “You’re wrong! I’m nothing like you! The only reason I wanted Snips dead was for revenge, nothing more! Featherweight didn’t deserve to die because of him!”

Rumble sighed, then went on. “Yes. But his death tainted a friendship. Death is despair. Murder is despair. Being associated with such rotten behavior is what corrupts a perfectly fine friendship. It’s not what Princess Twilight would want and you know it.”

“How would you know what the Princess would want!?”

“I know because she preached the warmth and hope of Friendship whenever she went public. Didn’t you watch any of her speeches on TV? She and her glorious friends uphold the balance of harmony everyday, right?”

Rumble hopped out of the chair, lifted himself to stand on his hind legs, leaning against the wall where a photo of Twilight and her friends rested once more. Putting a hoof on the glass, his expression changed to that of a pony yearning for something.

“Yeah... A circle of friends... a perfect world where all can be friends with each other... I’m in love with it.”

“Sorry, but I don’t share such idealistic views.”

I turned my back to him and proceeded to leave. I didn’t know how much longer I can stand to listen to him.

“You don’t... but I’m sure Featherweight did. He was ‘Hope’ after all.” Rumble said, looking into my eyes with that same longing for friendship.

My legs moved on their own.

My body flew at him on it’s own.

My body knocked him down on it’s own.

“What’s the matter? I speak the truth.” Rumble sighed, as if he were disappointed.

Did he seriously expect me to keep my cool?

“You don’t even know him! You never knew him!”

“I don’t have to know him personally to know the truth. His cutie mark is the symbol of hope. Isn’t Friendship the element of hope? It’s the only way to slay despair! We need the power of friendship!”

Clench your teeth, you son of a bitch.

“Oh? What’s this? A couple of blank flanks fighting? It better be for a cutie mark.”

I whip my head, seeing the source of that familiar mocking voice.

Diamond Tiara looked at us with contempt like always, which is nothing new. But it was enough to snap me out of my moment. I got off of Rumble, resting my body against the wall.

“Diamond Tiara, you’re here to investigate as well?” Rumble asked, calmly getting up, acting as if nothing happened.

“What’s it to you?!”

“No reason. I just thought Silver Spoon would be with you. Your friendship is pure after all.” Rumble smiled coolly, letting Diamond behave in her usual manner.

“I don’t need somepony like you commenting about my friends!”

“You amuse me, Diamond Tiara... but you also make me happy.” Rumble gave a peaceful smile.

“W-w-w-w-what?! Ah?! Err, what?!” Diamond Tiara choked on her words, blushing even.

Wait, since when did she ever become embarrassed!?

“I meant your friendship with Silver Spoon. It’s purity somehow makes my heart race. Please don’t do anything to ruin it, okay?”

That embarrassed feeling vanished seconds after Rumble finished his sentence.

“GET OUT! I don’t need some blank flank ordering me around!”

“Though a blank I may be, a cutie mark isn’t required to admire friendship.” Rumble said.

It’s amazing that he can never lose his cool though.

“Hey! GET OUT HERE, EVERYPONY!” I heard Dinky Doo off in the distance, sounding excited as her voice rang.

“Looks like the race has begun.” Rumble slowly spread his wings, and whoosh... he was gone, just like that.

I wanted to click my teeth, express my frustrations and everything.

But I do have a responsibility, so I gotta get out there.

“Hmph. I don’t really care. I’ll continue investigating. I don’t need to watch some stupid race.”

.....

“You could cheer on the one with a cutie mark and hope Scootaloo humiliates herself.”

I didn't quite put much thought into that comment, but eh, whatever it takes to pacify her I guess.

“Hmmm.... you drive a good bargain. I want to say no because you’re a blank, but... agh. You make a good point! Geez, stop making good points! You’re a blank flank, at least make it easy for me to disagree!” Diamond groaned in frustration.

“Just pointing out that you’d miss a good opportunity for entertainment.”

“Why the heck would you want me to go!? I don’t need to be around you and those blanks!”

“Because it’d suck if you didn’t watch. Anyway, I need to go.”

...

I don’t know why I’m even trying to get her to come along.

Maybe because, deep down, I don’t want the bloodshed to happen again.

I’m asking for a lot though.

“H-hey! Slow down, you blank flank! I’m running ahead! Only the talented go first!” Diamond Tiara squeezed past me at the doorway, heading outside.

Difficult as ever.

________________________________________________________

10:00 AM, Honesty District - Crop Field

Aside from Truffle and Twist’s absence, everypony gathered out here.

Truffle better be working out his differences. I’ll have to talk with him when he comes around.

The track the competitors will race on goes full circle around a crop field, with the starting line being right in front of the barn.

First up, we have Grace Lightning, using her own special horseshoes fitted with skating wheels. That maniacal expression on her face sends shivers coursing through my fur, making it hard to tell if she’s happy or just outright bloodthirsty.

Second, we have Scootaloo, who with the help with Sweetie Belle, crafted a scooter. It looks functionable, but I wouldn’t present that craftsmanship to even a monkey.

Lastly, we have this new entrant, Dinky Doo, smiling and ready to roll. I didn’t know she could stand on her own two hind legs for so long like that. Then again, she’d have to if she’s going to race with a skateboard.

“Don’t worry Dinkles! Ya know you got this!” Pipsqueak cheered.

“Tch... Last minute entrant, huh? And you knew about this!?” Grace angrily asked Scootaloo.

“What’s got you? Scared of a little extra competition?” Scootaloo quipped.

“Hah! Who the hell do you think I am?! The more competition I have, the more roadkill I leave behind! BRING IT, BRAT!” Grace quickly turned to Dinky after glaring at Scootaloo.

“I’m not a brat! And I’ll have you know, we’re the same age!” Dinky boasted, despite the insult.

To be fair, Dinky isn’t short enough to be considered a filly, but she’s definitely a bit shorter than the average mare.

“Who cares, mommy’s little girl~ You’ll be crying her name when I smoke you both!” Grace taunted, lowering her body as if she were preparing for takeoff.

“Feel free to keep bringing each other down, because by the time you look up, you’ll see just how cool I am with my win!”

Of course Scootaloo would get into it.

“Hey! If you’re a blank flank, I want you to lose! LOSE!” Diamond Tiara shouted.

“SHUT UP!” Scootaloo retorted, then focused her attention on the road ahead.

“Don’t let anypony get to you! Just focus on the road!” Sweetie Belle said in a cheerful coaching manner. "Apple Bloom and I are rooting for you!”

“Go out there and earn that cutie mark!” Apple Bloom’s words were meant as encouragement I’m sure, but that didn’t stop Scootaloo from rolling her eyes.

“FINISH YOUR CHEERS ALREADY! Ugh!” Grace chided the others, rolling her eyes.

“Run them over, Grace! You can do this!” Snails suddenly shouted.

“Shut up!” Despite saying that, Grace had a very awkward smile plastered on her face for a brief moment before fervently shaking it off.

I need to get this started already...

“Err, Everypony! Get those wheels ready! The rules are to go around the crops full circle until one of you crosses this finish line first! So that said-”

“You sound pretty weird, Shady.” Scootaloo interjected, smirking.

“Get on with it or you’re becoming roadkill too!”

“Should we get somepony else...?” Dinky looked away, whistling like she didn’t just say that.

Hey! I put a lot of thought into that speech, even though it doesn’t look that way!

“Fine then! Three-two-one GO!”

That last word was the cue, a burst of wind blasted my face, even roughing up my hair a bit the moment the competitors zoomed past me.

I immediately back away from the track, with no idea when those three would come around.

“Hey everypony! Get on top of this harvester! We’ll be able to see them from here!” Apple Bloom suddenly shouted.

“Oh, good idea!”

“What, you can’t just teleport?” Diamond Tiara asked, knowing full well the answer to that.

“No! That’s an advanced spell and you know it!” Sweetie Belle chided, but she fell for that sarcasm hook, line and sinker.

“Hmph! Of course I expected too much from a blank flank.” The spoiled wanna-be princess flipped her hair in contempt.

“Yeaaaaaaah, I can’t do it either soooooo...” Snails chimed in, earning a condescending glare from Tiara as well.

“Useless! You’re so useless!” Tiara complained.

“You could just.... y’know, do it yerself~” Apple Bloom said, making the haughty mare’s eyes twitch.

“Tch...!”

“Just humor them for now.” Silver Spoon said.

Tiara whipped her head, shocked at her friend’s words. “You too!?”

“I guess I’m not in a bickering mood.” Silver Spoon sighed.

“She has a point, Diamond Tiara.” Ginger said, siding with Silver Spoon.

“No one asked you!” Tiara chided before heading for the harvester to gain a bit of elevation.”

“Hey guys!” Pipsqueak suddenly shouted. “Check this out! I have a step-ladder! We can use this to climb onto the roof of the barn!”

At that moment, I wore the greatest poker face in the history of Equestria, in hopes that I don’t give in to the temptation to say that that thing is not a step-ladder.

“Oh, good. Now I don’t have to sit near those three blank flanks!” Tiara happily declared, unaware that Silver Spoon is putting a hoof to her face, shaking her head.

“Alright! Let’s go!” Snails climbed up the ladder, running towards the front center of the roof. He extended his forehoof outwards, exclaiming, “I see’em! Over there!”

“Who’s in the lead!?” Pipsqueak asked, hurriedly climbing up. “Oh crap, Grace is in the lead! GO DINKLES!!”

Suddenly, Diamond Tiara pushes Snails and Pipsqueak aside, with Silver Spoon taking a newly empty spot, as their shouts reach for the racers. On top of the harvester, I saw Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Ginger Snap cheering for Scootaloo.

I better get on top somewhere too so I can see.

But that happened quicker than I thought. I guess my desires manifested, bringing me an overhead view all of a sudden. Upon a quick realization, I began to struggle, but whoever gripped me, suddenly grew stronger, perhaps to keep me from falling, or to keep me in place.

There’s really only one pony capable of flight at this time, and that’s...

“See that, Shady? See what they’re racing to bond around?”

“Racing to bond?!”

I don’t get it!

“This race is to strengthen bonds, can’t you see that?! Only friendships are true bonds, not associates! I think it’s pretty stupid, don’t you agree? Not when they have no idea...!” Rumble shouted, flying higher and higher. Sure, this gives a great view of the race, but still!

“What the hell are you going on about?! Also, put me down!”

“Not until you see what I’m talking about.”

“What!?”

I’m getting irritated. I’ve only been glaring at Rumble this whole time, and my neck can only stay twisted for so long.

So I turn around to look down, and there it was.

I guess this is what he meant.

That crop circle they were racing around... it wasn’t an ordinary hay field. Not from this angle.

Seeing it now, behind the crops, is a work of art that can’t be seen from an ordinary angle.

One half has it’s crops fully grown, but only cut at small portions, giving it the lighter half. The dark half, had nearly all of it’s crops cut down to where only the ground is seen, save for a zig-zag portion for the right eye and wicked grin.

...

Is he implying that Monobear is an alien?

Which of course, is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard.

As the stories go, only aliens make those weird crop circles, yet, I’m not really surprised that that bear would do this. But what is Rumble getting at, really?

That Monobear is watching us, and that bonds are meaningless as long as we bask around his looming presence?

“That crop circle... quite elaborate, don’t you think?” He asked, solemnly.

“Listen, I have a race to watch. Can’t we discuss this some other time?” I asked nicely, despite my remaining glare, just to get my point across.

“Suit yourself.” Rumble said. “Just so you know, I’m personally cheering for Scootaloo. With her friends backing her, she’s bound to win.”

“Right...” I just casually agreed.

Preferably so he’d shut up.

Even if he’s rooting for her, she’s not in the lead.

Grace Lightning is, with Scootaloo at a close second.

Dinky of course, is slowly catching up to them, propelling herself with her magic.

...

Wait, that doesn’t count as cheating, right?

___________________________________________________________________________

“What the heck?!” Scootaloo whipped her head around, drawn to the sound of an oncoming vehicle.

But that was no vehicle; that’s without a doubt, Dinky Doo, casting a basic spell on her wheels, giving herself a boost.

“Move it! The underdog is still here to play! HAHAHA!!!”

“Tch!” Scootaloo gritted her teeth as Dinky gradually passed her by. “It’s not over yet! C’mon, wings!”

Clenching her teeth, her wings began to flex, little by little. Between each gradual stroke, she would maintain momentum by kicking the ground in a rhythmic pattern with her wings.

With her wings moving like that, it’s obvious that she wasn’t trying to fly; she only wanted a little speed boost.

“Oh, ho? You’re not just road dust, huh? Good! Bring it, punks!”

With the way Grace rolls, I’m beginning to think she’s got a motor attached somewhere.

__________________________________________________________________

Despite the constant smack talk about the alleged boosting these ponies are using, they steadily approach the white line painted on the ground.

All three mares are neck and neck, forcing me to squint my eyes in search of the slightest lead.

This whole turning course... looks like Grace is still in the lead, with Dinky using all of her power to pass her by.

“Uh oh.” Rumble muttered the moment he heard a violent snap come from the ground.

Seeing the race, I can see Scootaloo struggling to even keep her roll steady.

Did her tire pop or something?

The second that thought crossed my mind, I saw a black little dot rolling away from Scootaloo’s scooter.

Oh. This won’t end well.

A little rock was all it took to send the young pegasus mare flying with all her might.

She flailed about as she soared uncontrollably, and reached the end spectacularly.

The end being head-first into a trash can by the entrance of the office building.

It’s as if somepony took a quick bankshot into a hoop. Grace surprisingly stopped, thrown off by the sudden accident, and Dinky crossed the finish line!

“I WON!!! HAHA!” Dinky celebrated, jumping up and down.

“Yeah, yeah. You just got lucky.” Grace sighed. “I lost for real?”

“Hmph. As long as one of those idiots lost, that’s fine by me.” Tiara smiled wryly, looking at Scootaloo’s legs kickabout.

She’s practically struggling to hold back her laughter.

“HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!! GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!” Scootaloo’s muffled screams were heard across the field as she eventually tipped over from kicking about.

Rumble quickly put me down and hurried over to Scootaloo, gently pulling the trash can off her head with his hooves. Her brief moment of relief was soured the moment she laid eyes on her savior.

“You...” Scootaloo glared.

“Your friends weren’t fast enough, I see.” Rumble smiled coolly.

“You didn’t give them the chance!”

“Perhaps. Apple Bloom had her opportunity to rush here, and Sweetie Belle can use simple magic. They failed, unlike me.”

“So what? Doesn’t make you my friend.” Scootaloo spoke curtly and quickly, intending to quickly end this conversation.

Rumble let out a lengthy sigh, then answered her claim. “You’re right. If I, a mere stallion can save you faster than your friends, then that should give some unfortunate implications.”

“Will you shut the hell up about friends!? You don’t know anything about Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle!”

“Hehehehe... I’ve said this before, but I’ve no need to know them personally. Now if you’ll excuse me... I have to finish my investigation.”

“Ugh, why won’t he just die already?!” Scootaloo complained.

“Don’t say that!” Sweetie Belle shouted. “He may be unpleasant, but I don’t want to go through that again!”

“Sorry Ah’ didn’t get there in time, Scoots.” Apple Bloom apologized. “Rumble’s got a point. Ah’m not fast enough. Not to get my cutie mark, not to get to you...”

“H-hey, don’t let what that guy said get to you. You’re both my best friends! Nothing’s gonna change that!” Scootaloo grinned, reassuring the two.

“Hmmm... Yeah! You’re right! Ah’ just gotta try harder!” Apple Bloom suddenly became chipper again. Guess it doesn’t take much to cheer her up.

“Guys, what do I win, A trophy or something? It’s gotta be something other than bragging rights!” Dinky said.

“I never really discussed what we get for winning. All I know, is that... the losers eat lemons or something.” Grace nervously looked away.

...She didn’t think this through.

“Boo!” Dinky pouted, “I just wanted to have something to brag to mom about.”

“Tch. Assuming you don’t wind up dead before that happens.” Grace commented.

“Wha...! OH, I GOT IT! You’re jealous that I won, so now I’m a target, huh?!”

“Wait, that came out wrong! You got it all wrong! Look, I lost fair and square. I ain’t gonna-”

“Fat chance! Two of us are dead, remember!?”

“Oh for the love of- Just listen to me, you brat!”

“No! Not till I’m safe, you hear me! I refuse to die before I get to see my mom again!” Dinky cut Grace off before galloping away.

“Wait, you dumbass! That- GAAAAAAAAAAH!?!” Grace shrieked the moment the back of her neck was touched- no, propped on by a certain stallion that somehow went unnoticed again.

“Wow, way to scare her off. And that was supposed to be my thing! Hahaha-AAAAAAAHHHH!” Pipsqueak, putting a hoof on the back of a very volatile mare is a very bad idea.

Taking a harsh buck to the face, he could only scream until his body crashed into the side of the barn.

“Pipsqueak!” Snails called out, then sighed, putting a hoof to his face, “Damn it, I told him not to do that...”

Snails ran back to the barn to check up on him, while Grace slipped away.

I don’t know why, but I ran up to her anyway.

Maybe it’s because I just want to believe that Dinky’s suspicions were simply out of paranoia.

“Don’t bother me right now, Blue Snooper.”

“I just wanna know where you’re going.” I said, hoping to get some kind of honesty around here.

“Nowhere. If you think I’m gonna check on the brat, then you’re wrong, that’s for damn sure. She’s gotta get over it herself. No sense botherin’ with dumbasses who ain’t gonna listen.”

“Maybe you’re right, but maybe she’s still shaken up about everything, especially about her mom. Give her a break.”

Who am I to even make that kind of call?

“I guess. Maybe she’s just a lucky mare who’s got a good mom, I dunno and I don’t give a damn.” Grace walked away after peering into my eyes with a half-hearted glare.

It’s obvious that she feels bad about what she said, but I think it’s a good idea that she’s giving Dinky some time to herself too.

This whole talk of murders is making everypony paranoid.

...

Featherweight, how would you handle this?

________________________________________________________________________

Day 4, 11:41 AM, Generosity District - Housing Area

The race was over, but it ended on quite a sour note.

I’m not sure how to feel about their moods rubbing off on me like this.

It’s only been at least thirty minutes though, so I suppose I can check on somepony.

Walking through the Generosity District, I locate Grace Lightning leaning against the gate to the Honesty District, with her eyes closed as if she were in a deep focus.

“This isn’t like you.” I commented, earning a quick glare from her.

“Didn’t I tell you to leave me alone?”

“Yeah, but you normally don’t focus this hard.”

“Tch...” Grace clicked her tongue. “I was trying to forget about what I said, alright? I don’t know whether I went too far or what, but in the end, it ain’t my business!”

“Mmm... wanna hang out then? Maybe take your mind off of it?”

At the very least, this should lighten the mood.

“Eh, whatever. But if you can’t roll with the best, then walk with the rest!” Grace’s sudden smirk was scaring me.

“Huh?”

Grace got her wheels out and began to skate away from me, forcing me to run after her.

...

Why the hell did I have to run?!

“Whoo! Nothin’ like a good roll!” Grace sighed, grinning as her wheels went back into her horseshoes.

We stopped at the dirt road where the race took place. Beat from suddenly running a few laps around the course, I lay out on a hay pile, trying to catch my breath.

I’d like to think I’m in pretty good shape, but that was ridiculous.

“What the heck, why’d you do that?!”

“Just wanted an excuse to roll around, what else? That and to laugh at ya!”

“Good grief...” I sighed.

“So whatcha wanna talk about? You got that interviewer look on ya.” Grace rose an eyebrow as she looked at me laying in the hay.

Makes me wonder how I look like an interviewer.

“I’m always like this!”

“Really now? Even when you’re out of breath? Anyway, spit it out.”

I lifted my body, as it’d be a bit bad to ask questions while laid out like this.“I’m just curious, but why are you so afraid of Diamond Dogs? What’d they ever do to you?”

And here comes the hostility train.

“I don’t believe that’s any of your damn business.”

“Look, I ask, because most of the trial involved figuring that out, and then there’s this morning with Miss Cheerilee...”

“Oh, you’re saying I’m a nuisance or something?!”

“No, I’m not! I just thought there’s gotta be a better way to approach it!”

“Ugh, you’re hella annoying, you know that? Well, whatever. If you expect me to just get over it, then I’m kicking your ass. You already exposed it, now you wanna press for more info!?”

“I don’t expect you to just... get over it. I don’t know anything, so I can’t just say that.”



“Well, that depends on what I know. If I don’t know, I can’t make any calls.” I answered honestly. “On the other hoof, I won’t offer my opinion unless you ask for it. It’d be unfair otherwise, right?”

“.....................................” Grace closed her eyes, grumbling wincing a bit, like she were thinking a little too hard on something.

“I’ll at least say this: If it weren’t for that, I wouldn’t have met my team.” Grace skipped the important part to my inquiry, but I’ll humor her for now.

“Your team?”

“The Genociders. It’s my roller derby team. Those mares got me out of a funk that shoulda never happened. Got introduced to some real Roller Derby.”

“You mean those two tough-looking mares that you skate with, Hot Wheels and Checkered Flag, right?”

“Figured you’d know that much. They’re the only ones I trust to watch my back, and I know they feel the same about me. I know they’re fine. They’re strong, dammit!”

You don’t know that.

...is what I want to say, but that’d be pretty cruel, I know.

A single tear started to form the moment she brought up her team mates.

...

I think it’s pretty obvious on what her motive might’ve been that day.

I guess thinking about those you really care about hits you hard. We don’t know the truth.

I wasn’t sure what else to say, so I simply stopped asking questions.

At the very least, it’s safe to say that I’ve gotten a little closer to her.

_______________________________________________________________________

1:46 PM, Honesty District - Orchard

I should check on everypony else. Although, there is one guy who’s been kinda in the corner of my mind.

I don’t really like to meddle in those kinds of affairs, but knowing the kind of guy Truffle Shuffle is, I have a feeling he may have screwed up.

Probably.

I wonder if that makes me a jerk for not having any kind of faith.

I still need to find him. I’ll check on Dinky Doo afterward.

I’ll head for the processing plant, since I’m a hundred percent sure he’s there considering that the candy isn’t even here yet.

Before I get inside though...

“HOWDY, SHADY!”

Oh boy... Apple Bloom’s sitting in that harvester. Actually, I wonder what for?

“What are you doing?” I responded with the natural question.

“Rememberin’ how this here thing works!” Spoken like a true farmer, she shifts her focus back to the control panel, widening her eyes suddenly. “Oh, there’s keys here!”

“You have one at the farm now?”

“Yup! Top of tha line too~! Makes me wonder why Ma n’ Pa decided it was time to get a lil’ advanced though...” Apple Bloom looked away, hiding her face the moment she brought up her ‘ma and pa’.

“That’s new. You never bring up your parents. Aren’t you worried about them?” Apple Bloom stopped fiddling with the controls to whip her sharp sights on me. Of course, greeting me with her chipper smile, she responds immediately.

“Ya wanna learn about this here thing?”

“Huh?!” She just changed the subject on me so quick, I almost yelled at her. But I had to hold back.

People tend to change the subject when they don’t want to talk about something.

Something I picked up on whenever I did any sort of interview.

But honestly, I probably would’ve yelped instead...

Because, just now, in that split second, I could’ve sworn she just gave me the scariest, murderous glare ever...

“C’mon, it’s easy to use! Buuuuuut, Ah’d prefer if everypony were here! Ah’ wanna give a lil’ lesson! Might get a cutie mark for it too if Ah’m good at teachin’!” Apple Bloom grinned happily.

“R-right...”

Tomorrow though. If I keep talking to her about things related to Sweet Apple Acres, it might not end well for me.

...

Whatever.

At least I can talk to Truffle and let him know while seeing how he’s doing.

I step into the processing plant, heading straight for the elevator.

What I didn’t expect, was to see Snails here pacing back and forth like a nervous colt.

“Ah! Man, you scared me!” Snails put a hoof to his chest, sighing in relief. “What’s up?”

“Why are you even...”

“Oh right, well, I saw Truffle up there, and I heard Twist was there too, but like, get this: they’ve been in there the whole time, even during the race! I didn’t wanna bother, but I’m curious!” Snails’s eyes were sparkling like a little foal.

“Umm, curious about wha... oh boy...” I sighed in disbelief. “Look, I doubt he killed-”

“No no no no no! That’s not what I meant, man!” Snails frantically waved off. “Besides, it’s bad enough Dinky’s paranoid. I don’t need you getting all paranoid on me too!”

“Have you seen Dinky Doo at all since then?”

“No, but Pip told me he’d take care of it.”

“Take care of it...?”

“Her fears. Though I guess with a title like his, I guess he’s supposed to be good at that kind of thing? I dunno. Those titles are freaking weird. I mean, you know my title, right? I mean, yeah, I tamed a few bugs, including parasprites too, but still...” Snails said quickly.

He really needs to learn to slow down when he talks. I understood him this time, but seriously!

“A-anyway! Listen, I think they may be doing the thing up there!”

Do I even wanna know what he means...?

“Uhh...” I made a wry smile, trying to stay level headed, “I’m just gonna go up there and find out.”

“L-l-let me know what’s going on when you come back!” Snails nervously said.

“Why didn’t you just get on earlier?”

“Because I’m trying to keep my head TV-PG! Do you know how tough that is at my age!?”

...........

I just walked away and got on the elevator.

Not hearing another word of that.

.................................

The elevator stops, and the side door opens, letting me enter the candy production room.

I walk inside, and the first thing I see, is a mare and a stallion sitting together against the wall, watching the dark orange color inside the oven.

Uhh... did they JUST start on the candy?

Before I knew it, before I could even think of the first word of the comment I wanted to make, Truffle suddenly stood me on my hind legs and wrapped his forearms around me, swinging me round and round.

He finally stops spinning after a minute, but still hugged me tightly as he reported.

Ugh... dizzy...!

“Ah! Shady! Young man, you must hear the brilliant news! I have to say, I’ve succeeded! She’s finally accepted my apology! You sir, are a brilliant stallion! Driven a bit by revenge and justice sure, but very brilliant in the way of mares!”

“Um, all I did was tell you to talk to her. Aaaand judging by how you’re hugging away my oxygen... it went well...!”

No seriously. It hurt like crazy. My arms, my lungs... just put me down already!

“Oh sorry! Just got a little excited.” Truffle finally let go. After letting me catch my breath, he cleared his throat. “Yes, yes. See, I told her about the misunderstanding!”

“Uh, misunderstanding?”

“Yes! Look, Miss Cheerilee’s an amazing, most brilliant and amazing teacher that I know, but I’m not romantically attracted to her! You told me to be honest and I was!”

Wait, did you just realize that at some point, or was it always like that...? Twist never struck me as the type unwilling to listen to reason...

“H-hey! Don’t tell him everything!” Twist commented as her cheeks flared up a bit.

“Ah! Ahem... sorry Twist.”

“So... you guys back together or something?”

If so, then that was quick.

“Not quite, but she’ll be ready once she makes it up to me for all of that contempt and spite she gave me for so long!” Truffle Shuffle gleefully said.

“Spite, huh?”

I didn’t think Twist was the spiteful type of character.

“I... I wasn’t...! I... I umm, just...” Twist trailed off, muttering something to herself.

“Hmm... right. Well, good for you guys.” I said, congratulating them on making up.

At least something good came out of this.

“By the way, you might wanna get out of here. The others are worried.” I reminded them.

________________________________________________________________________
2:20 PM

I should go check on Dinky to see if she’s okay.

Now that I think about it, I never really sat and talked to her home life.

Once I returned to the Generosity District with the intent to find Dinky, I already found Pipsqueak talking with her outside her assigned home.

It’s quite surprising, and I’m a little curious to see what they’re talking about.

It’s been a little while since I spied on anypony for getting that big scoop, so I suppose I can do it just once while I’m here. I need to make sure I haven’t lost my touch.

I’ll hide behind Miss Cheerilee’s dog house over here, then move in close. The ideal spot would be on the side of Silver Spoon’s home.

Slowly shimmy my way on the ground through the grass... avoid those flower cameras... get around those stairs...

Presto! Let’s listen in.

“I told you, I’m just worried about my mom!” Dinky yelled. I guess that’s the topic?

“I-I know! I mean, I’m worried about my aunt as well, ya know? But you can’t freak out like that. I mean, I know the feeling! It makes your mane stand on end, ya?” Pipsqueak put on a nervous smile.

“Y-yeah...” Dinky lowered her head, as if trying to figure out what to follow up with.

“Right! Besides, Snails said he’d keep an eye on Gracie, so you’re safe! I’ll make sure to keep ya alive, ya know!” He proudly bumped his chest, then followed up with, “Your mom’ll be proud of me!”

“Hey, she’s supposed to be proud of me! If we beat that bear, I’m taking the credit!” Dinky faked her annoyance. She looks as if she can’t hold that laughter for long.

“Hehe, no problem! Weeeeeeeeeeelllll, assuming Diamond Tiara doesn’t beat ya to the punch or something. She’ll definitely take credit, ya know! But I seriously think we autta focus on surviving, ya know?”

“Yeah, yeah. But If I don’t, you know, do something, I’ll never know if my mom’s okay or not.” Dinky bit her lip, rubbing her left forearm.

“Ah, she’ll be fine. Like my aunt would tell me: one step at a time, ya know!”

“Thanks, Pip! I think I’m feeling better now!” Dinky gleefully declared as she hopped off the step at her home.

Pip quickly closes the door, and turns back to Dinky. “Awesome! So like, you’re gonna hear Gracie out? I mean, I did my part, ya know!”

“I guess. She’s so scary though!”

“I’d like to think she’s more on the ‘scared’ rather than ‘scary’ scale, ya know. I mean, I would know!”

“And how would you know?” Dinky lowered her eyelids, making Pip a little nervous.

“A~hhh... let’s not worry ‘bout that, ya? I mean, err, let’s just get that outta the way!”

“Muuu~ Tell me!” Dinky hopped on his back, causing him to run wild for a moment.

“No way! I got nothing to tell ya know- AH! Crap she’s strong!” Pip complained as he desperately tried to regain his balance.

They look like they’re having fun. Since when’d they become good friends?

Then again, Pipsqueak’s a pretty sociable guy, and he’s always been pretty easy-going. Well, aside from when he goes around scaring everypony...

I guess that’s enough spying for now. I was worried for nothing.

“BOO!”

“AAAAAAGH!”

What the hell!? That nearly got me out of my skin!

It was Dinky and Pipsqueak standing before me.

...When did they figure me out?

“Hahahaha! Thought you could scare me, ya? You thought wrong!”

“That’s not-”

“He was eavesdropping! The pervert!”

“How does that make me a pervert!?”

“My mom told me that perverts are guys who sneak around!”

“One, she probably meant voyeur, and two, what I’m doing is snooping. I used to do it all the time before becoming more direct with my approach.”

“Hmm... Well, that does make sense.” Pipsqueak said, scratching his chin.

“Boo. If he wanted to talk, he should’ve just talked!”

“Oh. Well in that case, I’d like to ask some questions.” I focused on Dinky, watching as she climbed off of Pip’s back.

I also needed to calm down a bit. I don’t particularly have nerves of steel.

“What’s up?”

“Well, since you guys are about to talk, I’ll go check on Snails!”

What is this, a free time event? Either way, I have a chance now, so now’s as good a time as any.

“I’d like to know about your mother a bit.”

Mostly because I still have a hard time believing that somepony like Derpy Hooves is a mom. For one, she always seemed pretty young, and you have to admit, she’s not the brightest bulb around.

But maybe I’m wrong. Somehow.

“My mom, huh...” Dinky pursed her lips, but suddenly widened her eyes for some reason. “Hey! She’s married to dad already, so don’t even think about it, buster!”

“Wha- NO! I’m not interested in her like THAT! I just wanna know what makes her so great!”

“You sure? She’s clumsy but she’s really cute!” Dinky gave a cheeky smile.

“Seriously, I’m not interested. Just answer my question already.”

“Boo~, you’re no fun.” Dinky looked at me like I’m some lame guy.

So she was just joking? Good grief...

“Err, anyway, I love my mom because I just Idolize her.”

“Idolize?”

“I mean I really look up to her for how hard she works. She used her actions to give me confidence! I mean, she used to get made fun of. A lot. But she took it in stride and kept working hard to pay the bills. I love that about my mom, and I think that makes her great!”

Or maybe she’s just oblivious... but ignorance is bliss.

That kind of philosophy never worked for me by the way. I always believed in knowing the truth, no matter how hard it is.

At least you’ll earn a heart of impenetrable steel.

That’s what worked for me always.

“Hey, you just thought ignorance was bliss, didn’t you!” Dinky pointed her hoof at me.

“I don’t know how you keep figuring me out like that.”

“Because for a guy who thinks he’s hardened on life, you’re reaaaaaaaal easy to read.”

..........

“Hahahaha, I doubt it. What am I thinking right now?”

“About how you don’t know what to say in response to my claim!”

“!”

Okay.

Maybe she’s just really really sharp.

“See? Way predictable! Like my mother! My mom is pretty simple, and that’s not a bad thing! Taught me how to be open and honest myself!”

“So I remind you of your mom!?”

I remind her of Derpy?

“Yep! Except that you’re way too serious! You gotta learn to lighten up a bit! Though if you did, I’m afraid I might not be able to read you, so...”

“I’m not a book!”

“Whatever you say, buddy! And don’t say I’m not your buddy, because I am!”

...............

Maybe we’re closer. Or too close.

I’ll go with ‘too close’. I don’t wanna believe that I’m that easy to read.

So for now, I’ll just turn around, and walk away as fast as I can. Yep.

____________________________________________________________________

3:50 PM, Honesty District - Administration Office

After all of that chatter, I head back to that office building Rumble was in before that race. There’s something that’s been bugging me about that place.

To be honest, I would’ve already been here investigating instead of checking on everypony.

The well being of others shouldn’t really be a concern to me. So why do I care?

...I guess Featherweight left more of an influence on me than I thought.

Anyway, time to check out that left desk.

Looking now, everything in here is still the same. I guess nopony came here to check it out yet. There’s still plenty of time today though, so...

I take a seat in the swivel chair and roll myself close to the mess before me.

Looks like most of these papers are blank applications to club creation and such. Yet, all of these are for Twilight’s Academy of Magic and Friendship.

There’s some job application forms here as well. Unlike the club forms, there’s only three of these. You’d think there’d be more. Dunno if they were stolen, but if I’m in the right train of thought, the princess’s academy didn’t have much of an administration.

The drawers were strewn open as well, revealing a very disorganized mess in both.

Now to check out the desk across from this one. I hop out of this chair and make a quick gallop to the next.

This desk has no features to it at all though. It’s as if nopony bothered to investigate this one.

Let’s check the drawers here, aaaaaand...

Oh. That explains it. These drawers are locked...

There’s still that door at the end of the hallway. It’s probably locked as well, but I better check, just to be sure.

I place my hoof on the doorknob and... figures. Not gonna budge, huh?

Rumble... he had to have found something; he’s just not telling me.

The second the thought crossed my mind, I turned my attention to the entrance to find him there, smirking.

“What do you want?” I asked.

“I came here to laugh at you.”

....... Then why didn’t I hear a laugh?

“You’re wondering why I’m not laughing though. I want to, but I can’t find your futile struggle for information funny.” Rumble calmly answered as his eyes examined his surroundings, seemingly focused on that messy desk.

“Huh?”

“Friends tease each other, right? At least that’s what I believe.”

“Get to the point!”

“The offer’s still open.” Rumble smiled coolly.

“I’m not making that contract with you! Besides, you and I are nothing alike!”

I probably shouldn’t vehemently deny so much. That’ll just create more ammo to use against me.

“We’ll see if that claim holds water after four more of us are dead.”

“What...!?”

“I’m predicting that you’ll open your eyes when four more of us die. I guarantee that we’re not gonna make it out alive. The friendships around us are contaminated with... dishonesty? Maybe that’s a better word to fit our location.”

What the hell is he saying!? He’s not gonna...

“I won’t kill anypony. I have no reason, will, nor purpose to commit murder. I just wish to smite tainted friendships.”

“You... just... what are you?” I asked, beyond confused with his cryptic way of talking.

“An admirer of bonds, nothing more.” Rumble said, without losing that smile. “Everything about this game boils down to one simple matter though I think. But you might know that better than anypony.”

“I don’t get it!”

An ‘admirer of bonds’?

“I see.” Rumble turned his back to me, “Then we shall speak again later. Preferably when the next death occurs. I just pray that you won’t be the next victim.”

“Wait! What did you find in here!?”

“A revealing treasure that I plan to give to the one who needs it most.” Rumble flew off like a rocket.

“Damn!”

My hind leg kicked the desk in front of me, putting a small dent in it.

Monobear hasn’t even given his next motive for us yet, so there’s nothing to worry about.

Yet why does my blood boil so much!?

I... need to cool off. Really, I do.

_________________________________________________________

11:00 PM, Generosity District - Shady's Home

Bedtime now, huh? I think I’ll wait for it to happen.

If it happens.

That crack in the sky last night couldn’t have been my imagination. I’m not going crazy. I’m not seeing things.

...But maybe I am? I probably had a slight glimmer of hope when that trial was over.

Feeling the slight breeze brush my mane aside to reveal my other eye, I stare into the sky, just watching the Monoguards fly around, patrolling, watching us like Big Brother.

Heh. Featherweight, if you had to convict somepony, how would you handle it? What would you do if it were me that died instead?

......................

*CRACK*

What!? I-it’s happening again?!

The cracks were forming once more... those white jagged lines directly above the tower...

Wait, that’s it!

I quickly gallop into my house and find Featherweight’s camera on my kitchen table, just where I left it... I think? No, right now, that doesn’t matter! I have to act fast!

I dash to the table to swipe the camera from it... “Whoa- ah! Crap, too close!” I can’t drop it now!

Now to get outside, aim the lens, and... huh?

Damn it, the crack is gone again!? Shit!

What’s going on...? Am I really going crazy here?

Author's Note:

Sorry I took so goddamn long with this part, but here it is.

Next part shouldn't take as long since I got in my head what I want to happen. Also, proofreader is back too, so my worries have been reduced alot!

:3

aaaaaaaaanyway...

Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter!

Edit: Holy shit, the errors!

11:41 PM?! Wow. How did I NOT notice >_< But it's all fixed now!