• Published 31st Jul 2013
  • 3,672 Views, 279 Comments

DANGAN RONPA Equestria: The Elements of Hope and Despair! - Nyte-Blade



Monobear takes over a class reunion, a tour of the new school Twilight just had built, bringing them to the Kingdom of Mutual Killing.

  • ...
11
 279
 3,672

Ch.2 (Ab)normal Days Part 1

CHAPTER 2: The Hearts, The Hooves, and the Honesty!

Day 4, 6:58 AM, Generosity District - Housing Area

I opened my eyes to the sight of this plain ceiling fan swirling around. To be honest, I wished I had woke up in my room instead.

So much happened in one day, and I can’t get Featherweight and Snips’s deaths out of my head.

And then there’s that crack in the sky...

I looked at it for a while, even tempted to wake everypony up to see.

But nothing else happened. The Monoguards seemingly disappeared as well during that moment.

All of that made sleeping a little too difficult. Quite unusual after a hard day’s work.

I guess I’ll go outside to see if that crack is still there.

I roll out of my bed and head for the door.

Followed by that creaking sound, hose blaring horns sounded, prompting me to listen for Monobear’s announcement.

I look in the sky to see that bear displayed on the screen above, sitting in his throne and holding a chalice as usual.

Wait, that crack... it’s gone! Was it repaired?!

“Good Morning everyone! Rise and shine! Prepare to get those hooves of yours dirty because a new area has opened! The Monoguards aren’t in the mood to turn you all into sandwich meat for once! Also, Grace Lightning sucks!”

“Bite me, asshole!” I saw the mare in question standing in the middle of the district, shaking her hoof at Monobear just after he ended his announcement. It was then when I remembered Monobear’s words during the trial yesterday.

“Hey! I go out of my way to wish you a good morning, and that's how I'm treated? That really stings worse than a honey bee swarm! Remind me to make fun of you tomorrow morning! Enjoy your rude awakening, you bastard!”

I guess he meant what he said...

“Hey, Blue Snooper, you’re up early, huh?”

When that announcement disappeared, I continued looking at the sky, bewildered at the lack of a fracture.

Just what happened, really?

“Hey! What the hell, are you bird watching!?” Grace chided, forcefully gaining my attention.

“Ah, right, umm...” I trailed off, trying to figure out a response. “I had trouble sleeping.”

“Heh, guess that’s what happens when you want somepony dead, huh? Listen, I got your back! I don’t blame ya for what happened at all!” Grace said with a cheerful smile.

“You’re pretty forgiving... wait, I thought you said Monobear set you up. What did you mean by that?”

I remembered her yelling about that all of a sudden. Guess my thirst for answers is taking over again.

“Huh? Oh! It’s like that son of a bitch threw me into a pack of dogs! I had a feeling that as soon as he gave me my motive the other day, I was sent back here only to be a freakin’ target! Ain’t no way I’m letting that slide! Taking advantage of my absence!” Grace ended with a grumble.

“If he took advantage of your absence, we’d all be dead for real, huh...” I sighed.

“Oi, stop looking all gloomy! Just because you’re blue doesn’t me you have to be blue!” Grace chided me.

I instinctively put a hoof to my face, shaking my head. “That makes no sense.”

“Screw you! It made better sense in my head! Anyway, I’m itching to blow off some steam. I’m still pissed off from yesterday.”

“But the trial’s over-” I tried to remind her, but her rant wasn’t finished.

“Yeah, but I felt like a puppet through and through! If I died, you guys would be dead. And because I didn’t, I was used to nab the culprit! It makes me mad! It pisses me off!” Grace ranted.

“Yeaaaaaah... err, you’re mad that I exposed your secret in court, huh?”

The Diamond Dog phobia.

Speaking of that...

“Damn right! I should strangle you now! But I’ll save that urge for whoever’s the voiceover for that bear! Soon as I find that guy, he’s roadkill! No one turns me into a puppet and gets away with it!”

Heh, seeing her so angry is somehow cheering me up. How strange.

...

Wait, I’m being cheered up by that? What the heck’s wrong with me?

As soon as I shook my head, I saw Scootaloo come out of her assigned home, yawning. She must’ve heard the last bit of our talk.

“What’s with the noise, guys? As soon as I opened my door, I heard you yelling! You’ll blow somepony’s ears out like that!” Scootaloo complained.

“You! Dashy Fangirl! I wanna race! You and me! A hot spot just opened, and I wanna check it out!”

“Race? Oh come on, I can’t even fly-” Scootaloo scowled, but Grace cut her off.

“Who gives a damn about that?! I don’t have wings either, and I sure as hell don’t need’em! All I need are these wheels! Nothing else!” Grace stomped her hoof down, drawing attention to her special horseshoes.

“Well I don’t even have my scooter right now! I left it back at home!” Scootaloo complained.

“Well, go make one!” Grace brusquely suggested.

Scootaloo put a hoof to her face, sighing, “I’m going back to bed. This is giving me a headache.”

“Heh, what, are you chicken? Guess that’s natural since you know how I’m faster than Rainbow Dash, right?” The moment Grace made her taunt, the moment I blinked, Scootaloo instantly ran up to Grace, headbutting her in the process!

“Okay, that’s it! You’re on!” Scootaloo instantly agreed, even if it was out of anger.

Watching Scootaloo run off, Grace calls out to her. “Hey, your house isn’t that way! I said get your scooter!”

“I’m going to make my own scooter, you idiot! And as soon as I’m done, you’re done!”

“Heh, it better not be a piece of scrap, or you’re gonna get wrecked!” Grace smiled manically, happy that her challenge was accepted.

Watching Grace and Scootaloo get all fired up, I simply sigh and proceed to walk away from this developing rivalry.

“Oi, Blue Snooper! No one said you can go!” Grace called out to me.

With my eyes quickly narrowed, I turned to the two to reply, “But this isn’t even my involvement! You can’t drag me into this!”

“Oh, but we need a referee! Someone to judge, and you just happen to be here! Make it a fair race!” Grace demanded.

“But-”

“Oh, I can just drag him off. I want a fair race too. And you’re totally an impartial guy!” Scootaloo interjected. Great, these two are in sync.

“Hey- WHAT!? LET GO!” Scootaloo grabbed me by my collar and dragged me off with Grace following and glaring at me. She’s looking like she’s like a hungry beast, looking forward to the best meal of her life.

..........

What a pain.

Then again, that phobia of hers made me think of Miss Cheerilee. Makes me wonder if Grace has been up all this time.

“Wait, Grace! Are you on Doggy Duty today?!” I quickly brought it up before being dragged any further.

Her eye suddenly twitched, but quickly turned away, making up a solid excuse.

“Who cares, the teach can take care of herself!” Grace averted her eyes, despite the cocky reply.

Despite not saying yes or no, it’s pretty obvious...

______________________________________________________________________

7:23 AM, Honesty District

As I’m being dragged away through the newly opened area, I see a sign that reads, “WELCOME TO THE HONESTY DISTRICT!”

...

First the Generosity District, and now the Honesty District. What’s next?

Looking around, this whole area seems to be a replica of a farm of sorts.

The first thing I see is a second entrance to the central tower. Between the doors, are several fences to contain the various farm animals behind them, each separated by species through a different level of elevation.

On the left side of the tower, we have chickens on the first level, above that are pigs, and the ones closest to the door are cows. On the right side, we have the goats, the cats, and bulls.

...

Why are there cats here?

In the middle of the district, several feet outside the tower, I see a statue of Applejack, the Element of Honesty. It’s just like when we saw the Rarity Statue in front of the first entrance to that tower.

At the center between the gates and path, I see a pattern of apples on the road, reminding us of Applejack’s cutie mark.

“Now where’s a suitable racetrack...?” Scootaloo asked herself.

“Err, I might be able to help if you let me go?” I nervously grinned, hoping she’ll drop me. “I mean, I’ll referee your little race or whatever. Just put me down, okay?”

Because it’s seriously a pain having to be dragged around.

“Fine, fine, I’ll put ya down. But you better not run!” Scootaloo finally let go of my collar, letting me hit the dusty bright orange brick road on the ground. I quickly get up and shake my body to get the dirt off of me. “Phew, finally.”

“I don’t see why I would. I already decided to explore this place anyway. We’ll investigate together and see what we can find, alright?” I suggested.

“Ohhh, that’s a pretty good idea. We need a track, so we’ll make one if there isn’t one!” Grace muttered behind us, still giving off a barbaric vibe.

“I’ll win... no matter what! She’ll pay for saying she’s faster than Rainbow Dash!” Scootaloo muttered to herself, full of determination.

Past the Applejack statue, is another gate leading to another district, blocked off by a Monoguard. No need to go there yet.

Turning to my left, I saw the brick road lead to a forest of trees blocked off by a long, wooden fence, stretching out to the exit. At the entrance, there was familiar bulletin board with a map displayed, just like the one in the Generosity District.

Guess it’ll work the same way if I press my hoof against it and get a map for this place, right?

Doing just that, the gem in my ID band lit up. Checking it out, the map really did update, showing the locations of this new district.

“What the heck are you doing?”

“I’m getting a map for this area.”

“Huh?” Grace blinked twice, not understanding what I’m saying.

“Just put your hoof on the map here, and it’ll go into your ID band. I guess it’s so we don’t have to keep running to this spot in order to know our way around here.”

“Oh, so it’s just for the sake of convenience.”

“That would’ve been obvious if your brain wasn’t as flat as the bugs you run over everyday.” Scootaloo teased.

Another reminder that Grace never learned the ropes of using her ID band due to her absence.

“Oh, you’ll be joining those bugs when I’m through with ya!” Grace retorted. Despite the insult, she didn't seem bothered at all.

So she decides to follow my advice and gains a map for her ID band. I can even see her amazement over such technology.

This part of the district according to the map, is called “Super Duper Fruity Orchard”.

Taking a stroll down the path, I see cherries, peaches, mangos, grapefruits, and all kinds of citrus on the trees around us.

With such a bountiful supply of fruit, this place definitely lives up to it’s name, almost enough to make my mouth water.

“Hey Fangirl!”

“What?!” Scootaloo turned around, facing Grace with a scowl.

“Whaddya say the loser has to eat five lemons at once? Soak that bitterness!” Grace nodded her head, directing our attention to the lemon trees.

“Huh?” Scootaloo’s eyes widened in surprise.

Lemons... egh. Even I have trouble eating them outright. That sourness overtakes me.

Lemonade is good though.

“No lemonade either! Just the lemon itself! One huge bite!” Grace specified.

She just read my mind, didn’t she?

“Fine! You’re on!” Scootaloo agreed.

I don’t know if this’ll be a good idea.

I’ll have to continue investigating.

Once I reached the end of the path, the first thing I saw was a curving dirt road surrounding a crop field. Beyond that, I saw three unique buildings.

The first one I saw had a “Fruit Processing Plant” label above the entrance, which is a giant steel garage door.

Next to that building, is a simple red and white wooden barn, with a combine harvester parked outside. Guess that explains why the circled area here.

Next to that barn, spaced several feet away, appeared to be a regular small office building. With it being only one story, I figure it wouldn’t take that long to investigate it.

“A barn! Hah, reminds me of Sweet Apple Acres! Betcha there’s plenty of stuff we can use to make a scooter!” Scootaloo happily ran inside.

“But what about-”

The investigation?

...is what I meant to say, but Scootaloo interrupted me.

“You’re supposed to be our race judge! You’re gonna stay with us while I build my scooter!” Scootaloo reminded me to stick around.

“Heh, you two can do whatever. I’m gonna check out this place! I think I found an awesome track for our race!” Grace said, running of.

...................

Scootaloo and I decide to investigate this barn, hoping to find some supplies.

Looking now, the ground is littered with dirt and hay. At the same time, there’s several stacks of hay at the corners of this barn. To the left near the door, is a wooden, nailed down ladder leading to the upper floor.

In front of me, I see a few folded tables next to one of the hay stacks, as well as several folded chairs. I guess this is to host a party of sorts.

Next to that, are farming tools, such as shovels, rakes, pitchforks, a tiller... Nothing particularly useful there.

I see a couple of planks of wood and four old wheelbarrows leaning against the right wall.

“THAT’S IT!” Scootaloo shouted, dashing to the wheelbarrows. “I’ll get the wheels off of these things and use’em for my scooter! That wood will help as well! But we’re gonna need something to cut it with.”

“I think we’d need as saw mill to even begin making this thing. We might be able to find additional parts, but that scooter’s not getting made unless we cut it up.” I reminded.

“Yeah, and the only guy who may have been able to help with that is dead.” Scootaloo sighed.

............

All I could say was “Sorry.”

“What’s with you anyway?”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” My eyes slowly narrow at where she’s going with this.

“Like, it’s like you don’t wanna have any fun. I’ll be honest; I wanna race to take my mind off of that trial yesterday. I’m not gonna mull on it forever. Snips and Featherweight wouldn’t want us to.”

“You don’t know what Featherweight would’ve wanted!”

.....

Why did I scream? Why did I say that?!

Scootaloo’s just trying to tell me to have fun, to distract my mind from all of Monobear’s crap, and yet...

What am I doing!?

“Listen, I’m-” I tried to apologize, but I heard a familiar voice at the barn door.

“Err, did... I come at a bad time?” Sweetie Belle looked at us, feeling awkward that she just walked in on an argument.

“No, I was just going to leave.” I said.

“Wait!” Scootaloo called out to me, stopping my movement.

“What? I was going to apologize. I know you’re just trying to help. But I don’t want any sympathy from you guys. Featherweight’s gone, and that’s that. Nothing’s bringing him back.”

“Just because you have to accept it, doesn’t mean that you have to like it!” I don’t know what Scootaloo means.

Just what do I have to do other than move on!?

“.............”

“So, Scootaloo!” Sweetie Belle called out, changing the topic, “I heard about your race! What are you even thinking?”

Scootaloo rose an eyebrow, then furrowed them before answering her friend. “I remember during the trial how Grace claims she’s so much faster than Rainbow Dash! I’ll show her!”

“Let me help then! I mean, I might be able to make it easier if I use my magic!” Sweetie Belle said.

“Uhh, you don’t even know how to put a scooter together, do you? Can you even cut wood with magic?” Scootaloo lowered her eyelids, staring at Sweetie Belle like she’s lost her mind.

“No, but I can try! Come on, I’m willing to try new things! And cutting wood with magic is simple! Just get me a saw, I might be able to design your scooter!”

“It’ll be just like that time with the float!” Scootaloo said jokingly.

“The one Babs Seed sabotaged during her stay in Ponyville?” I asked.

“Yep. Thinking now, I’m kinda glad she skipped out on this trip.” Scootaloo sighed, rummaging through the items with Sweetie Belle.

“You’re right! She’s definitely alive out there!”

“Besides, not like your sister can stop us, right?”

“You’re right... Rarity’s not here...” Sweetie Belle agreed, but progressively became crestfallen.

“B-but she’s coming to save us! I know it!” Scootaloo quickly followed up. “Besides, everypony’s gonna see this race anyway!"

Coming to save us... I wish I could say that’s why there was a crack in the sky last night.

I mean, nothing else happened, and to top it all off, it’s not even there anymore. It’s like it never happened to begin with.

I’ll have to tell them about it, but I honestly don’t want to get their hopes up without solid evidence.

If Featherweight were in my shoes, he’d tell them right away.

“Can I go now?” I spoke up after just sitting on the pile of hay, listening to the girls chatter.

“Ah, fine fine, you can go do whatever. But be back when I finish building my scooter, okay?” Scootaloo calmly asked.

“Yeah, got it.” I answered, nodding in agreement.

“Don’t tell Rumble either. I’m still in the mood to knock him to the next continent!” Scootaloo added.

I wave a hoof, letting her know that I get it already. You want to tear Rumble limb-from-limb.

I head straight for the barn door, stepping outside.

The morning sun here really feels like I’m on a farm.

The moment I step out though, I find Snails waiting for me, with his face covered with flies.

...........

What?!

“Shady, there you are. I’ve been looking for you, man.” Snails said. Just then, some of the flies flew onto his top hat, blending in with it’s solid black color.

I almost would like to think that they merged with his hat.

“Umm, you do know there’s a swarm of bugs on you, right?” I asked, unnerved by what I’m seeing.

“Oh, these are just fruit flies. They don’t bite. I mean, I brought’em on me when I went through that little fruit forest. Adorable, eh?”

“I... see?” I was still unsure of this.

But his special talent is bug related, so it’s understandable, since he’s acting like this is nothing new to him. I even saw one of the flies crawling around his eye, narrowly missing it by an inch, making my eye twitch by reflex.

Just how often does this happen!?

“Anyway, we gotta talk. Got a minute?” Snails asked, his eyes frowned to a near scowl.

“Sure. What is it?” I asked, as Snails bobbed his head over to the right, prompting me to follow him to the mysterious office building.

...........

He’s not gonna kill me, is he?

I suppose he has a right considering what happened yesterday, but I’m not ready to die yet.

Of course, when we reached the front of the office building, Snails turned around, widening his eyes in fear.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold up! C-can you relax a little? Please?” Snails politely asked, noticing that I was preparing for a fight.

Okay, guess I can calm down.

A little.

Heaving a sigh of relief, Snails speaks up once again. “Man, you scared me for a minute there! Did you think I was on that same revenge thing?!”

“...”

Revenge...

That word...

“Then what is it?” I calmly asked.

“I... just want to say I don’t blame you for what happened. That thing was right. Snips made his choice, putting his siblings over us. But what good would it do to blame you for it? You were angry that my best friend killed your best friend.” Snails took off his top hat, letting the flies fly into it. “But I guess that makes us even? Like, does that make any sense? I mean, don’t get me wrong, I know I was so mad at first but I got to thinking I can’t keep blaming you for killing my friend so I-”

Snails started to talk really fast, but I knew what he meant.

“Yeah, yeah, I got it. You don’t blame me. But don’t you have every right to? I wanted Snips dead for what he did. I wanted him to pay.” I replied.

“Mmmmmm....” Snails put his hat back on, while rubbing the temples of his head with his hooves. “Yeaaaaaaah, you’re right on that, dude. But I most assuredly and definitely won’t blame you!” Snails said with conviction.

“I see. But why?”

“Well, long story short, if The Great and Powerful Trixie can forgive and forget, then I can too! She’s my magic instructor afterall!”

Trixie, huh?

Now that I think about it, she held a grudge against Princess Twilight for a long time for exposing her as a fraud for the Ursa Minor incident. She had returned to Ponyville sometime later to exact revenge, and became drunk on the power of the Alicorn Amulet.

Afterwards, she forgave Twilight and even apologized for what happened.

Is this a reflection of events or something? Why do I suddenly feel that I’m in a Trixie scenario?

...

I better not tell him that though.

“I just thought I’d let ya know, man. Our friends are dead, and The Great and Powerful Trixie wouldn’t want that craziness between us to continue.”

“Does that mean you’re over Snips’s death?” I asked, just curious to know.

Snails clenched his teeth and shut his eyes, “Dude, of course not! I know you’re not over Featherweight’s death either, so don’t you dare give me that crap! I feel guilty even now! I feel like I stabbed him in the back! If I’m mad at anypony, it’s me! I should’ve voted for myself, but I was scared! I was so damn scared, dude! There was literally nothing I could do! I didn’t wanna die either! How am I supposed to choose between my friend and my dreams or future?!”

I really shouldn’t have asked that. It was insensitive. I need to stop having such expectations of others.

“Uu~pupupu~!”

We turn around, only to find Monobear to our left, making that stupid giggle.

Was he listening to us?!

“But Snails~, it’s like me having to choose between a salmon I just caught five seconds ago and a hive of honey I just found for the first time in months! If I had to choose, I’d pick the tasty honey! Because unlike a rotting dead fish, honey will prevail in freshness!” Monobear’s twisted analogy made Snails narrow his eyes dangerously.

Snails’s horn began to glow, and I knew where this was going.

“STOP!” I ran up to him, shoving him out of the way, just before he fired a magical beam, narrowly missing Monobear.

“Oh? Why didn’t you let him? He’d become fresh slices of meat for your lunch today! He’s guilty by association afterall! His friend’s a dead horse, so why keep beating it?” Monobear asked nonchalantly.

“Don’t screw with us! Just tell us what you want!” I demanded.

“Oh, nothing at all! I’m just here contemplating what bitter sweet juicy fruit to eat, just like you! Want any recommendations from your benevolent and fruity king?” Monobear asked.

“No!” I instinctively shouted.

“Aww, I’m feeling bitter. I’ll eat a snack instead!” Monobear ran away again.

... please tell me he means lemons.

I slowly turned to Snails, taking a deep breath. “I’m sorry.”

That was the only thing I said.

And I mean it.

I really am sorry.

You’d be in my shoes if the roles were reversed, right?

...Right?

Snails got off the ground and shook the dust off. His eyes narrowed just before making his comment. “What the heck, man? I was gonna blast that guy!”

“And let you lose your source of magic!? I can’t watch that happen again!”

He should know better than anyone.

Snails sighed deeply, looking crestfallen. “Sorry, man. I didn’t mean to get like that... All I did was drop some baggage on ya. Forget it, alright? Besides, I doubt I can enjoy the race with my vision blurred like this!” Snails put on a forced grin after quickly wiping his eyes, then walks away.

After another sigh, I turn around and let my legs take me back to the barn.

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!”

“Gah! What the heck was that?!” Snails jumped at the sound of a horrified scream, dropping his top hat in the process, releasing various bugs from within.

My body tensed up the moment I heard that scream...

No, not again!

“What the heck’s happening now?!” Scootaloo burst out of the farm with Sweetie Belle, hearing that scream as well.

“That sounded like it was near our assigned homes!”

Thinking now, we are pretty close to where they should be according to the map.

“We better go find out!”

Sweetie Belle nodded, despite being on the verge of tears again.

I seriously hope this isn’t happening again.

The three of us rush to the Generosity District, hoping that a body wasn’t found. That the trials wouldn’t happen again.

Running through the gate, we entered the district quickly and ran through the alleyway to reach the assigned home area.

What we saw wasn’t what I expected, but it might as well be just as bad.

Miss Cheerilee, trapped in her own ‘dog house’, was suffering a beating from a teddy bear, ridiculous it may be.

“Didn’t I tell you that the dog would be put down? You really don’t want your dog? I think she may have contracted rabies of neglect!” Monobear said, landing another strong punch to our teacher.

“You fool, just take the leash!” Truffle was here, and so was everypony else. Of course, the teacher’s pet would be the one to stand up and take the hit.

“NO! Why should I?! I don’t need to listen to you!”

“Stop this selfish behavior and just do it! Miss Cheerilee’s getting hurt!”

Grace had her eyes shut, trembling as she knew she’d have to take Miss Cheerilee.

Now that I think about it, Grace was awake awfully early this morning. Guess this explains it.

She was supposed to commit to her doggy duties, but wanted to race instead. And because of it, her phobia is kicking in.

“Monobear, transfer it over Doggy Duty responsibilities to me!” Truffle pleaded to the bear.

“Tisk tisk! So eager to have your dog! So desperate! Is that what you’re into? I don’t think I can give you the duty if you’re so indecent about it!”

“THAT’S NOT TRUE! That’s never been true!” Truffle’s eyes widened in a panic as he collapsed to the ground.

“Then don’t act so desperately and just watch! Maybe you’ll awaken a new side to you!”

Truffle tried to formulate a rebuttal, a retort to Monobear’s accusation, but nothing came out but tears and belligerent blubbering.

“Fine, fine fine fine fine FINE! I’ll do it! Gimmie the leash!” Grace held out her hoof following her demand, fighting that urge to crumble again.

If only it were that easy.

“I’m not giving you anything you know! She’s a good punching bag, and I’m having trouble letting go! You’re free to take it though! It’s easy!” Monobear tugged Miss Cheerilee’s hair, widening her eyes, even forcing her eyes to water. Her muzzle also started to leak various sounds of a puppy's pain going out of control.

“Grace!” Truffle called out.

“Hmph! She’s just a coward after all!” Diamond Tiara twirled her mane while making that scathing remark.

“I’m finding this hard to watch.” Silver Spoon averted her eyes.

“Ah’m gonna be a hero! Saving the helpless will surely get me mah cutie mark!” Apple Bloom’s eyes sparkled, seeing nothing but opportunity as she approached Miss Cheerilee and Monobear.

“You’re still on that?!” Scootaloo asked, appalled that she’d even be thinking about that at a time like this.

“N-now’s not the time for that!” Sweetie Belle followed up.

“Why not? Ya’ll two need to help me out! We’ll all get cutie marks! We can save these two! Turn those frowns upside down! We’re the cutie mark crusaders! We autta be helping!” Apple Bloom went on.

“I wanna help, but not to get my cutie mark!” Scootaloo stomped her hoof down, glaring at her friend for this same attitude.

“If you’re not gonna, then let’s see how far this neck can twist!” Monobear said before getting a hold of Miss Cheerilee’s head, slowly turning it. As he began doing that, four Monoguards dropped from the sky to stop us from helping.

“Boo. So much for our helping.” Apple Bloom sighed.

Why is she still hesitating!? The phobia can’t be that bad, right!?

Normally Miss Cheerilee would put on a brave face, but this time it was slowly turning into a look of terror, wincing as her head twisted.

Suddenly, Grace’s body was sent sliding over to Miss Cheerilee, putting her hoof on the leash. In response, Monobear released his grasp of our teacher’s head..

“You idiot! Miss Cheerilee’s our teacher, not a diamond dog! Geez, my mom’s more brave than you!”

Dinky Doo chided Grace Lightning for her cowardice just now. In fact, it turns out she was the one who pushed her down in the first place.

“YOU BRAT!” Grace screamed, glaring at Dinky as she quickly marched up to the short mare, while dragging Miss Cheerilee’s collar.

“Hey! I might be small, but at least my mom helped me to overcome my fears!” Dinky bravely retorted, fiercely looking at the towering mare before her.

“Oh whoop-dee-do! Mommy this, mommy that! Unlike you, I became strong on my own!” Grace fired back.

“That’s far from what I see now.” Dinky landed the finishing blow.

Just before Grace’s hoof was heading straight for Dinky’s face, Ginger galloped between the two, swiftly parrying Grace’s strike, then outstretching her hooves to hold them back.“Stop this, you two, this is no time to be fighting! Miss Cheerilee’s okay, that’s all that matters!” Ginger then focused her glare towards the the creepy bear. “Monobear, we have the leash, now leave!”

“Why should I? I’m here to deliver important news about Dinky Doo’s mom!” Monobear put his hands on his hips in a rather hammy fashion.

Dinky’s eyes widened with a mix of excitement and panic. “Wha- Where is she?! IS SHE OKAY?!”

“Nah, I lied, I just wanted to get your hopes up. Besides, I just wanted to talk about another present for you all!” Monobear scratched the back of his head like he made a simple mistake, but quickly started cackling, grating our ears.

“A present?!” Scootaloo angrily asked.

“I can’t believe you don’t know what a present is! It’s a cute box wrapped in-” Monobear tried to answer Scootaloo’s question, but she cut him off.

“That’s not what I meant!”

“When are we getting our present? I’d like to know.” Rumble asked.

“Geez, so impatient! Just think of It as something you can look forward to while you investigate today!” Monobear said before running off again.

His present...

It’s probably another motive for murder. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case.

I’ll put it off for now though. I can’t focus if I’m constantly thinking about whatever Monobear has in store for us.

___________________________________________________________________

8:30 AM

After that whole catastrophe, Grace reluctantly had to fulfill the Doggy Duty role. I guess I’ll see how she’s doing.

With a phobia like that, I’m scared for Miss Cheerilee, because if Monobear starts assaulting her again, then I don’t think I’ll be able to just stand and watch a second time.

I find Grace at the Applejack statue, blindly wandering around while holding onto the leash.

...Why is she wearing a blindfold?

Seeing Snails and Truffle Shuffle with her, I have to wonder if this was their idea.

“Hahaha! See! I can do this! I can take care of the teach afterall!” Grace gloated. But of course, Snails sighed, shaking his head, and Truffle looked crestfallen for some reason. Normally he’d go on about how to handle Doggy Duty.

“So, why the blindfold?” I asked her and Truffle.

“Err, that was my idea.” Snails nervously answered. “Yeaaaaaaaaah, remember that phobia of hers? I thought it’d make it better to blindfold her. If she can’t see, there’s nothing to worry about!”

“If she runs into a wall, it won't end well.” I warned, followed by a sigh.

“Oh, I trust Miss Cheerilee won’t let that happen. Is that wrong to think she’s a seeing-eye dog? I mean, you know, maybe I shoulda never blew that chance to learn the teleport spell from The Great and Powerful Trixie that time...” Snails muttered to himself.

“Ruined your chance?” I asked.

“Ahhh~, come on, it’s nothing to worry about! I’m a pure and clean stallion free of those indecent thoughts The Great and Powerful Trixie hates so much! hahahahahahaha!!!!” Snails made his suspiciously, specific denial, speaking very rapidly.

...

Yeah, I don’t wanna know.

“T-the issue is though, I uh, just don’t want Miss Cheerilee to suffer that again! I mean, you know what I mean?” Snails quickly changed the subject, speaking quickly, but at least I got the point.

“Hey! Tell me which way I need to go to get to that stupid barn! No wait, walk me through the track! I just need to walk her, right?! And don’t you dare make me use my teacher as a seeing-eye dog! I don’t need it!” Grace barked.

“Yeah, just a bit more to the crops, and we can begin our turn over this way...” Snails explained while escorting Grace Lightning.

Yet, Truffle Shuffle, who’d normally stay by our teacher’s side, looked down, sighing while walking at a much slower pace through the fruit tree path. Each tree he passed by, he would smack one with a hoof to drop down a fruit and eat it instantly.

After munching on an orange, he notices my presence and quickly puts on a more commanding expression. “Shady... you’re here. You’re not feeling bad, right? Whenever I did, I’d report to my teacher!” Truffle said, then sighed again. “Ah, what am I doing?”

“What’s going on? This isn’t like you.” I said, curious about this new behavior, making me match his slower walking pace.

“Uhh... is my will to protect our teacher that indecent? I thought I was doing her a service!” He meekly asked, uncommon for his quite deep voice.

I see. He’s bothered by Monobear’s words earlier.

“Err, it comes off that way.” I answered.

“I see... could it be... why she...” He trailed off, mumbling to himself.

“Huh?”

“Twist. You think... that’s why she... you know... maybe hates me now?” He spoke up finally.

He’s definitely implying that they really were an item at one point.

“Hmm... I have no idea.”

“Right! Hmm... well, she called it quits whenever I would prioritize tutoring sessions with Miss Cheerilee over her. I mean, s-s-s-she called me creepy and just... walked away! I’ve spoke with Miss Cheerilee time and time again, hoping she’d give me the answer why Twist did that, but nothing!”

Way to awkwardly summarize what happened.

But I get it.

“Just apologize to her.” I suggested while we slowly walked down the path.

Truffle abruptly stops, addressing me like I’ve committed a crime. “W-w-wh- apologize!? Y-y-y-y-you can’t be serious! That’s tougher than advanced classes! That’s Super College Level Thermonuclear biology level of difficulty! It’ll never work!”

“And if it doesn’t work, just try again. Work hard at proving that you mean what you say. Because your dedication will say a lot.”

“Dedication... Oh! T.L.C.!” He blurted out, covering his mouth.

“Huh?!” I widened my eyes, dumbfounded by the sudden use of an acronym.

What on Equestria’s green soil does he mean by that!?

“Truth! Love! Commitment!” He formed the letters with his hooves with gusto. “It’ll make you go far in life! Yes, you have the potential for it! To serve, to advance our societal practice!”

“Uhh, aren’t we straying just a bit off topic here?” I asked.

“Hahaha, silly young colt! You dare say I’m off topic? Hah! I just merely remembered what made me such a great, faithful young stallion in the first place.” Truffle said before slamming a forehoof into one of the fruit trees, dropping a lemon into his hoof. After taking a bite of it, he continues his statement, “My radiance is larger than life!”

That’s not the only thing larger than life...

“Come on, what about Twist?”

After eating five more lemons at once, he sighs, “Ahh... hahahahaha... okay, you’re not gonna let me go on this at all, huh?” He sighed, looking somewhat hesitant.

I'm... somewhat not surprised he can ingest lemons so quickly.

“Nope. You’re the one who said you wanted to do it, not me. If you back out, it’ll be as if we never had this talk.” I clarified, hoping to give him a push.

“You’re one heck of an expert on mares, aren’t you? To think, you of all ponies!” Truffle noted.

“But-”

How does this make me an expert on mares?

“I appreciate the super advice! Buuuuuuuuut, if you don’t mind, I’m gonna err, mentally prepare myself before I go trying to talk to Twist again. Trust me when I say she’s tougher than a jawbreaker.”

Truffle finished another lemon and galloped away.

I have no idea what runs through his mind. He’s hard to figure out, other than his dedication to our teacher.

A dedication that somehow ended his relationship...

“Whatever...”

A relationship sounds like a real pain to me. I’m pretty sure that having a marefriend would just turn my life into a total multitasking situation.

Since I’m back at the crop field, I’ll head to that processing plant. It’s on the way to the barn, so Scootaloo and Grace won’t mind if I’m absent for a little while.

Going around the rounded dirt road clockwise, I reach the steel double doors of the plant and head inside.

Well this place is massive.

Fitted with dark-gray marble tiles, I saw various conveyer belts, all which weren’t functioning to both my right and left, even at the upper area.

At the far back, I find a door and an elevator next to each other.

Since Silver Spoon and Ginger Snap are here, I'll see if they found anything.

“Shady...” Silver Spoon said with a hint of contempt.

“Don’t tell me you’re weary around me too?” I asked, sighing.

Maybe I’m getting just a bit annoyed at this treatment.

“Not really. I doubt anypony could strike fear into me considering the overwhelming power of my blood.” Silver Spoon said, giving me a calm expression, yet I felt a sharpness to her words.

“Blood?”

“Right... The Ponyville Express would never cover any stories about us. Such a lowly company as such isn’t worthy. But alas, enough about that.” Silver gave a sly smirk.

“....Right.”

A lowly company huh? Despite the more refined demeanor, she still isn’t afraid to look down on others.

“I can’t say I’ve found anything of a particular interest, but...” She trailed off, “This plant... It reminds me of the ones that the Apple Family own.”

“I didn’t know they had any.” I replied as I scanned my surroundings.

“Well, remember that day when we had to bring a member of our family that we held in high regard, so-to-speak? It was one of Miss Cheerilee’s assignments.” She asked, but I didn’t want to think about that day.

“Yeah, I do. But I really don’t want to talk about it.” I replied.

“And I could care less about your failure to comply to that assignment.” Silver curtly said, but that reminder made my blood boil.

I simply sigh and kept my ears open.

“Point being, recall when Granny Smith mentioned how her family were the founders of Ponyville. That alone was what began a generation’s worth of business. Thanks to them, the town thrived, and eventually expanded from Ponyville, to more upscale locations such as Manehattan or Los Pegasus. I’ve visited many of their locations to help my father conduct business deals.” Silver explained in a matter-of-factly tone.

“So the Sterling Family and the Apple Family actually get along?”

“As the saying goes, ‘You scratch my back, I scratch yours.’ Those plants wouldn’t exist if it weren’t for me.”

Way to get straight to the point.

“Wait, YOU?!” I asked, shocked at this amazing truth.

So she actually helped the Apple Family?

“I myself had to conduct some these deals alone as a part of my upbringing. Of course I succeeded without fail. It’s only natural when you possess the best genes a pony can have.”

“You mean Diamond Tiara wasn’t with you at all?” I asked, because I’m sure Diamond Tiara hates Apple Bloom and her friends still.

“No.” Silver shook her head. “She would normally be off handling her own business with Equestrian royalty. Alas, I rather that she, as well as that trio of meddlers remain oblivious to that fact. It may crumble our plans.”

“Plans?”

“Ah, I believe I’ve said too much.” Silver said, flipping her hair while looking at me with contempt, “Just pretend that I intentionally said that to tease you, and leave it at that. Any further questioning will simply be dealt with.”

........I’m not gonna bother asking how. I’m too scared to press further. I feel like she’d kill me with that magnified glare alone.

But I see. Silver Spoon has more connection to the Apple Family than I thought. If Diamond Tiara knew of that, I’m pretty sure she’d lose it.

Let’s see what Ginger Snap has to say.

“You just spoke to Silver, right?” Ginger asked.

I guess she must’ve overheard our talk...

“Yeah, she said that it reminded her of one of the ones that belong to the Apple Family.” I answered.

“Yes, we’ve spoken of this already, and I found it very interesting, leaving me curious to know more! I wanted to talk to Apple Bloom, but I’m not sure if I should.” Ginger sighed.

“Is it because Silver Spoon didn’t want her finding out?” I guessed.

“Let’s not refer to that.” She looked away, as if she didn’t want to talk about it. “It’s something else. I’m a bit unsettled that Apple Bloom may resent her family more for some reason.”

I know what she means.

But why didn’t she talk about Silver Spoon’s ‘plan’? It’s like she either knows about it, or she’s in on it.

“I know what you mean,” I said, staying on topic, “Wouldn’t Ponyville itself be in huge trouble of Sweet Apple Acres is in hot water like that?”

“Yeah, they’re pretty much the founders. Hmm... I never bothered to learn any history lessons during any of my scouting days. But I suppose I should delve into more history now that I have this free time.” Ginger said with a smile.

“I thought you took those classes?”

“Don’t you remember? I used to miss quite a few days of school.” She answered, but it didn’t jog my memory.

“Why?”

“Because of injuries and the like inflicted by the wild. It was Mare vs Wild, and the Wild won when that school bell rang that time. Tch...” She clicked her teeth in regret, but smiled deviously. “I got my revenge though. Hehehehehe...”

Just what the hell did she used to do!?

“Moving on, if I had to say I found anything, I suppose I have, thanks to Twist.” Ginger smiled.

“Twist? What’d she find?”

Actually, I didn’t know Twist was in here.

“Just some tools to make candy with using the fruit juice here. This plant is pretty much made to make any product that uses a bit of fruit, including candy. Not that she’s happy about it.” Ginger looked away, circling a hoof around one of her merit badges.

“Why would she not be happy?”

“You should ask her yourself. See what she has to say.” Ginger said, nodding off to Twist’s location at the second floor, a large windowed area.

The only way to it is through that elevator, so...

Walking up to the panel against the wall, I press the red upper arrow button to call the elevator.

I hear a faint noise of something descending that quickly grew louder until the doors opened. I step inside and hit the arrow again, ascending to the next floor. But instead of opening the door in front, an opening was made to my left, showing me the white room where I can see Twist fiddling with the oven at the left wall.

At each of the corners, I see cardboard boxes filled with neatly organized fruits. At the window where I can see the others, I see a steel table pressed against it with a blender, juicer, and several stacks of wrapping paper on top of a stack of cookie sheets.

Next to the oven was a slightly open refrigerator/freezer, which appears to have been searched already.

This room is pretty bright but with these white walls, I feel like I’m in a place for the mentally unstable to craft candy.

Guess I’ll speak to Twist to see what she thinks and figure out why she doesn’t look very pleased.

“Hah... this place...” She muttered to herself. “High Fructose Corn Syrup...”

“Twist?”

“Eep?!” Twist turned around quickly when I called her name, backing away swiftly, but sighed when she saw it was me. “Oh, it’s you.”

“What’s up? I heard this place allows you to make some candy, but you’re not happy about it.”

“Because there’s too much High Fructose Corn Syrup in there!” She meekly answered, pointing at the fridge. She's like a cat, hissing at a dog.

“Isn’t that what most candy is made out of nowadays?”

“Y-yes, but... it’s maddening. What if I’m forced to used this unhealthy goo? I may give little fillies and colts a reason to sue me!” She frantically expressed, putting a hoof to her mouth.

“Umm, why would anypony sue? And besides, their parents would have to do the suing, not them.” I cleared up.

I would know. As a member of the Ponyville Express, I’ve had to cover my share of stories about civil lawsuits and such.

“Irresponsible parents letting them eat too much candy which result in super cavities.” Twist quickly answered while furrowing her eyebrows.

“I see...”

“S-still... I can’t pay them if I’m broke... and if the parents are actually responsible, I may not get much business, and I’d have to pay them back. Rinse. Repeat. That’s what my father says anyway...” Twist sighed.

Then I’m sure your father is wrong.

“That still sounds weird. I highly doubt you’d get sued for a cavity. It doesn’t make anypony sick, it just damages their teeth which is nothing a good dentist can’t fix.” I said, offering some basic knowledge.

“If only my dad actually fit that term...” Twist solemnly said.

“Look, we just need to eat in moderation. And besides, that’s why we gotta brush our teeth anyway.” I added.

It’s true, we’re responsible for our own teeth, not the salesman.

“I guess so.” Twist closed her eyes. “Okay, I’ll get started.”

“Eh?”

“Candy. I want to make candy. We’ll have something nice for the conclusion of that race. I just hope I can find an alternate to that syrup... I refuse to make anypony sick.”

“Oh, cool! I look forward to it!” I gave her an encouraging smile.

I decided to not say anything about Truffle’s intentions though. That’s his task. It’s not my place to interfere.

“W-w-wait!” She nervously brought my attention back.

“What?”

“Do I dare make some for Truffle? Would anypony understand if I didn’t want to make him any?” She meekly asked, but hidden in her shy tone, I hear a bit of anger.

...

So much for staying out of it...

“Throw him a bone.” I suggested. Just hope she doesn’t take it literally.

“I don’t think he deserves it. But I rather nopony found out, so... yes. I’ll be impartial and have candy for all.” Twist sighed.

Guess she really doesn’t want to make him anything.

Poor guy. He better work up the nerve to say something and soon.

_______________________________________________________________

9:21 AM

After leaving the plant, I head back to the barn to check up on the others.

To my surprise, there’s more ponies inside now.

Aside from Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle, Dinky Doo and Pipsqueak are in there this time as well.

However, it appears that Pipsqueak and Dinky are working on their own part, surrounded by tools consisting of a saw, a small buffer, a screwdriver, and some paint. It’s as if she’s planning on joining the race herself.

“That’s because I am! Your face totally wanted to know about me! I felt intrigued! Hehe, using big words is totally part of my character!” Dinky grinned with glee. Yet, how the heck did she know what I thought!?

“Err, right. What are you building though?”

I asked, because that definitely isn’t a scooter. It appears to be just a single flat board, slightly curved on both ends, as well as two small metal sticks attached close to each end. Near it, are four other small wheels lying around.

Pipsqueak’s answer followed after a quick yawn.“It’s a skateboard. Turns out Dinkles wanted to race and she dragged me out of that nightmare I was having.”

I was wondering where he’d been. Guess he was sleeping the whole time. But why’s he actually disappointed?

“Wait, you’re not happy that your nightmare was broken?” I asked out of curiosity.

“Of course not! It was crazy, scary, and epic! It had ghouls and ghosts and everything making Monobear explode again and again! KABOOOM! BAM! SPLOOSHING! It was the best nightmare ever!” Pip went on, ending with another disappointed sigh.

...Did you seriously just confuse a nightmare with something awesome?

I resist the urge to giggle at how absurd the idea is.

“I didn’t even know you could make anything.” I commented on the skateboard. To be honest, it actually doesn’t look that bad.

“It’s just simply stuff, ya know! I’m sorta used to building my own stuff back at Trottingham for whatever Nightmare Night projects I hosted. But a skateboard is a bit err...” Pipsqueak trailed off.

That’s... pretty amazing now that I think about it. I didn’t know that he brought his love of that holiday to his hometown.

“Well I can’t make a skateboard alone!” Dinky complained, prompting Pipsqueak to add on additional parts.

Makes me wonder where the power tools came from.

“Mmmm... true... you don’t have the wheels on yet... Wait, does Gracie know that you’re entering the race at least?” I asked.

“That’s the point! I’m just gonna get under her skin a little.” Dinky said, screwing on a third wheel to the board with her magic.

“Hmm... think the plan will work though? You’re gonna have to win before I do anything, ya know? Dunno why you need me for this though. Coulda gotten somepony else.” Pip said with a light laugh.

“Because you’re supposed to be very scary! You’re a Super High-School Level Horror Connoisseur, right?! Shiver me some timbers!” Dinky demanded with excitement.

That’s not what the phrase means...

“Eh, I still don’t get that whole title thing. Been wrecking my brain on that more than anything. I don’t have a cutie mark either ya know! But still...” Pip trailed off, as if going into a deep thought. “Hmm... shiver. Hehehehehe. I’m pretty sure Gracie and Scoots will probably want to turn me into a headless horse by the end, but such a scary thought it totally worth it!” Pip had stars in his eyes.

He’s clearly out of his mind.

“Yeah, have fun with that.” I said, shifting my eyes away, knowing what their plan is.

“Come on, it’ll be funny! Just wait!” Dinky said with determination. “Now let’s finish this thing!”

“Mmm, you could kinda help me out ya know.” Pip complained as he shook the sweat off his head. He’s even taking the time to polish the board they have to give it a shine.

“Boo! I already grabbed the tools from up there!” Dinky pointed at the ladder,

It’s obvious to me what they’re planning.

But if she’s joining in in this race, then how does Scootaloo feel about it?

I walked up to Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle, getting their attention. Looking at the scooter though, it looks close to completion.

“Just spoke to Dinky, huh?” Scootaloo asked.

“Yeah, she said she wants in.” I answered.

“I know.” Scootaloo sighed, applying some duct tape onto the handle of the scooter. “Poor mare’s gonna get creamed out there.”

“Well, at least she’s trying!” Sweetie Belle added.

“I guess. Besides, it’ll make my victory all that sweeter when I can have that that idiot in third place instead of second! Gives me an excuse to call her a third rate racer!” Scootaloo smiled deviously as she tossed the tape over to Sweetie Belle, who caught it with her magic. “Just one step closer to being twenty percent cooler!”

“She can say the same to either one of you if she wins!” Sweetie Belle pointed out.

“Either way, I approve of Dinky joining us. Dunno if Grace does though. She’s too busy ‘walking the dog’ or whatever, so it's gonna be kind of a surprise.” Scootaloo giggled.

Even Scootaloo has a few extra tools at her hooves. Guess Dinky found them earlier, probably as soon as she arrived.

“Just let me know when the race starts.” I requested.

“Huh, I’m surprised. I thought you didn’t want anything to do with that.” Scootaloo said.

“Normally I don’t, but I already said I’d do my part. There’s one more place I’d like to check out, so I’m hoping I have enough time.”

“Better tell me what you find then!” Scootaloo said, hopping on her scooter, probably about to take it for a spin.

“Yeah, will do.”

For now, I’ll leave the barn and head to that office building. That’s the one that’s bothering me the most. It just seems so out-of-place in an area like this.

_________________________________________________________________________

It wasn’t long before I reached the doors of the building.

Pressing my hoof against the glass, the door opened smoothly. This place really does look like an office building, with the gray marble tiled floor, orange walls, and even a ceiling fan. To the back, I see a short hallway, leading to a wooden door with an empty nameplate.

On those walls, there’s just a few framed photos showing Twilight and her friends having fun at Sweet Apple Acres.

To my right is a desk void of any contents on top, showing a well polished reflection on the wood.

The one on the left looked more cluttered though.

Seeing Rumble sitting in the chair and staring at the ceiling, I can see why there’s a mess.

“Shady, you’re finally here!” He smiled, like he was happy to see me.

“What are you doing?” I asked, watching him adjust himself on the office chair.

“I’m looking around, just like you. I’m just here to learn some new facts.” Rumble answered.

“Like what?”

“I dunno if I want to tell you right now.” Rumble hopped out of the chair, landing on his hooves, walking a bit past me.

“What? Why?” I asked, confused about his sudden secrecy.

“I found some valuable info, and I don’t quite trust you yet, if you catch my drift.” He calmly answered.

“What are you even talking about!?”

He’s getting on my nerves...

“If it makes you feel better, I believe that we have a similar mindset.” Rumble smiled, then turned his attention to the photos on the wall. “I mean, look around you. The princess and her friends, having fun on the farm, basking under the sun of friendship! Even Rarity, who once hated such an ‘uncouth’ activity as she would say! Friendship warms my heart a little too much, you see? It’s too... beautiful.”

“Get to the point!” I yelled, getting sick of his rambling already.

“I’m saying that we, you and me, believe that Friendship is a sacred bond that must never be tainted with something rotten like despair. Friendships built on despair make my stomach cringe, twist in such a grotesque way, and it angers me.”

...

I don’t get it. I don’t understand at all.

Why is he so obsessed with friendship!?

“Are you gonna tell me what you found or not?” I asked, because this is wasting my time.

“On one condition.” Rumble closed his eyes.

“What’s that?”

“I want you to make a contract with me.” He immediately requested..

.....

What?!

Author's Note:

So, since my proofreader's been really busy with life as of late, I decided I'd post the chapter.

I kinda wanna give him a break actually, so yeah.

Also, THIS FRIGGIN CHAPTER. MUCH LONG.

All of that character development! Dunno if I even did it right, but at least I hope I changed a few opinions around.

Maybe tickled the funny bone, enticed feels, I dunno. I just wanted to make something happen.

Nothing too plot related, and there aren't any FTE's this chapter. Next Chapter, we're doing them, and advancing the plot too.

Hope I did well with this chapter!

as always, thanks for reading.