• Published 29th Jul 2013
  • 442 Views, 8 Comments

Escape from Madness - Templar22



Is it possible to find peace while perhaps the world's greatest tracker is after you and your brother's sanity is slipping night by night? Songbreeze is willing to try.

  • ...
1
 8
 442

CH1: Nature Walk

The pink mare tore down the lonely trail, branches tearing at her face and mane. Songbreeze panted heavily as she desperately tried to pull air into her exhausted lungs. She threw a glance over her shoulder, ensuring the blue stallion was following. The emaciated unicorn was lagging behind. For her trouble Songbreeze received a heavy branch to the nose. Blinking away tears she tried to urge her brother to greater efforts.

Noteworthy drew in several shuddering breaths, beads of sweat streaming down his face. He leaned heavily on a tree, gasping for air.

“Surely… surely they haven’t discovered I’m gone yet?”

As a response the baying of several dogs sounded forth from the trail behind them. Shouts could be heard with the thundering of hooves. Grabbing Noteworthy, Songbreeze started running again.

“STOP!”

“THERE THEY ARE!”

“COURSER! AFTER THEM!”

Ignoring the shouts, the pair continued down the trail without slowing. Moonlight shone down on them. Unfortunately, it also shone upon the pale white stallion stepping out of the foliage into the center of the trail.

“You’re a pretty thing.” The earth pony said with a crooked smile. Blood was seeping from a multitude of small cuts. “Let’s have some fun boys!” he said with a joyous shout. Several more pale ponies stepped out of the shadows, all of them sharing wicked grins.

“Song, get behind me,” said Noteworthy, staggering forward. Most fortunately, that’s when the guards caught up with them. A pegasus in brown leather armor was the first on the scene. Several dogs trailing on the ground behind him.

“MADNESS!,” he shouted pointing at the pale strangers. More leather armored guards turned the corner and joined him as he charged the strangers, weapons drawn.

“Fresh MEAT my BROTH- gahk!?” a bolt of unicorn magic cutting him off. Even as his body fell, his “brothers” set upon the guards.

The two forces clashed all around Songbreeze and Noteworthy. Pale ones attacking with bared teeth and lashing hooves as the guards exercised deadly force. Forgotten in the chaos around her, Song turned to flee. She had barely taken a step when a familiar pale earth pony staggered in front of her.

“I still want my fun!”


Stepping back with eyes wide, Song attempted to call for help. Nothing but a barely audible squeak issued forth. A squeak that was only heard by a familiar navy blue unicorn.

“SONG!” shouted Noteworthy, struggling with a unicorn guard.

Wresting the bayonet from the guards horn, he brought it down, butt first, making solid contact with his head. As the guard collapsed, Noteworthy charged to his sister’s aid, dodging tangles of guards and madponies. He pounced, blade held in his mouth. The distracted earth pony didn’t even get a chance to call for help as the Tevachian guard spike found it’s mark. Noteworthy withdrew the blade, only to bring it down again and again on the pale one. Suddenly winded as the adrenaline of battle faded, Noteworthy stumbled away from the slain stallion. Songbreeze looked in shock at her blood spattered brother before he grabbed her and started down the trail. They heard shouts and screams. They didn’t look back. Nor did they stop.

As the sounds of battle faded away it was mercifully replaced by the sound of a train whistle. Finally, their destination came into view. Noteworthy glanced at his sister, a question in his eyes as they approached the edge of a large train yard. A bright green pegasus waiting for them.

“Good, you made it. I thought they’d caught you.” He said to them. He held up a hoof. “The payment?”

Songbreeze withdrew a small pouch from her saddlebag and tossed it to him. Catching it with a small jingle, the rail worker led them into the train yard. There were several trains of all sorts waiting there. Leading them to an old worn out freight hauler, he gestured with an elegant leg before an open cargo car.

“Your carriage, madam,” He said with a friendly smile, though whether it was at Song or the bag of coinage was hard to tell. With a nod of thanks, the two fugitives clamored aboard the train as the engine started up. Without another word, the train pony pulled the large wooden doors shut, enshrouding them in darkness. With a small chuckle, the pegasus walked away counting the coins in the purse.
“Pleasure doing business with you.” He said, smiling at the coin purse.

With another blast of it’s whistle the freight train pulled away from the train yard. Brother and sister lay on the floor of the train car. Noteworthy lay on his back, silently watching his sister.

“Songbreeze, I need you to tell me everything…”

She levitated a small writing slate she had tucked in her scarf.

Where shall I start?

“Let’s start with what by the Nine happened to your voice?!”

Long story.

“Good thing we have a long ride.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The crimson pegasus stalked down the disturbed trail. Not bothering to slow as he stepped over the corpses of pale ponies and guards alike. His eyes never once leaving the smaller hoof prints that dotted the trail. He came across where the small hoof prints had backed on themselves, just before a dead earth pony with multiple stab wounds. Following the small prints farther down the trail he saw them continue on. Suddenly looking up from the pathway he turned to the few assembled guards.

“Losses?”

“Two guards KIA and three more wounded Sir.” responded a bright gray unicorn.

“Madness losses?”

“Eight confirmed kills, and five prisoners. We believe this group to be stragglers from the siege. They could be involved in 2460’s escape.”

The pegasus over to where the prisoners were being held by several unicorn guards. Kneeling down to the same level as one of the pale ponies he addressed the group.

“What do you know of Noteworthy?”

All he received were blank stares. Leaning in close, he brought his armored hoof across a unicorn mare’s face. He felt facial bones crack under the impact.

“What do you know!?”

The mare barely seemed to register the blow. She turned towards him, an odd half smile spreading across her face. Suddenly, she pursed her lips and sprayed the pegasus with blood and several teeth. He didn’t flinch. Nor did he flinch as he brought his wing, blade affixed across her throat.

“SIR! Lieut. Courser has reported that the tracks lead to the train yard. He says he has a suspect in custody. A train worker was found with marked coins.”

Stepping away from the prisoners he brought himself face to face with the now trembling silver unicorn.

“Idgit! Why did you not inform me sooner!?” spreading his wings he made as if to take off.

“Captain Back Track? What of the prisoners?”

The captain only paused for a moment before replying as he took off.

“I don’t remember seeing any prisoners.”

Flying towards the train station, Back Track mused on the level of incompetency he was seeing in the newer recruits. Fool, he should know better than take pale ones prisoner. He heard several distinctive cracks of unicorn bolts. Good, much less paper work. Now to pay this train pony a visit...

Author's Note:

My first chapter, of my first publication. I'm actually pretty satisfied with it, but I still feel like it's missing something. If you fine fillies and gentlecolts see anything wrong with it, whether grammar or story wise. Feel free to let fly with those comments and critiques!