• Published 23rd Aug 2013
  • 5,284 Views, 164 Comments

Unexpected Arrival - GlitchyProductions



When the Sparkle family falls apart, Twilight is thrown in the middle of the chaos by having to look after her baby brother Spike.

  • ...
8
 164
 5,284

New Attire

It had only been a few minutes later and Twilight's patience soon began to wither. Not a single sound occurred after Rarity went upstairs to try and dismantle whatever scheme Sweetie Belle had in mind for Spike.

The librarian soon picked up her cup of tea by the handle and took another sip of the warm relaxing liquid. As it went down her throat she felt the hours of sleep that were never meant to be suddenly collapse on her. Pain swam through her forehead and she quickly put down her tea back on the table and rubbed her forehead to ease the building pressure.

"It's going to be dealt with." Twilight began to speak, but only to herself. "Rarity is going to talk with Sweetie Belle and Spike will come back downstairs, no worries..." The librarian groaned out load and lifted herself out of her seat and ran to the stairway.

She quickly ascended the stairs and got to the top before she even realized. Twilight immediately spotted Rarity standing by one of the bedroom doors, who wasn't looking very happy. The fashionista turned her head and noticed Twilight in the hallway.

"Twilight." Rarity pulled a fake smile. "Everything is under control."

Twilight blinked.

"It's just that a certain little MINX has gotten into my old line of baby clothes." Rarity was fuming at this point, she grabbed the door handle and twisted it. The door didn't open and the sound of the lock inside the door could be heard.

"I'm not coming out until I dress up Spike!" A muffled voice came from behind the door.

Twilight took a step back and rested up against the bathroom door and felt the weight of the situation set in. Her head was still pounding and the mad dash up the stairs made things even worse for the poor librarian. Twilight's breathing felt slower and harder to control and she continued to stare at her friend plant her fist into her little sisters bedroom door.

"Please." Rarity growled. "I'm not angry with you." She inhaled. "Because that isn't even the word that describes how I feel right now!"

Twilight didn't want the fuss, the shouting done by Rarity wasn't going to solve anything at all. At times like this, she wished Cup Cake was here to magically set things straight.

"Sweetie Belle." Rarity huffed. "If you come out now and hand Spike back over to us and apologize for your childish behaviour then I'm sure Twilight will reconsider letting you babysit for her." There was a pause.

"I'm not coming out until I put Spike in some new clothes." Sweetie Belle mumbled.

"Why you..." Rarity rested her head against the door and groaned once more. "If you're atleast going to dress him up then please for the love of Celestia don't put him in that ugly sailor suit. That wasn't mean't for him."

"He's not wearing the sailor suit!"

Twilight couldn't take this any more, the screaming, the yelling and the constant pain in her chest. She stepped over to the door and gestured Rarity to move out of the way. Rarity placed her hand on Twilight's shoulder.

"I'm so sorry about this Twilight, she can't stay in there forever." Rarity wrapped her arms around the librarian and felt Twilight's head rest on her shoulders.

"I want to try." Twilight whispered.

"I'm more than capable to coax her out of her bedroom." Rarity leaned back and looked her in the eyes.

"No." Twilight broke out of her whisper and spoke as calmly as she could. "I don't think this is working."

"Just a few more minutes, Twilight." Rarity nervously nodded, she glanced at the door and then looked back at Twilight.

Twilight didn't listen, she shuffled over to the door and dropped onto her knees, truly feeling how weak her legs were now becoming. She raised her hand and knocked on the door as soft as she could.

...

"Who is it?"

"It's me, Twilight." She forced a smile, despite Sweetie Belle not being able to see it. "I know that you want to dress Spike up and I think that's great. What are you making him wear?"

...

"Err... It's a surprise!" Sweetie Belle responded, with the occasional babbles and gurgles coming from Spike.

"A surprise?" Twilight perked up. "Do you think I can see him?"

Before Sweetie Belle could respond both Rarity and Twilight heard the overly-enthusiastic baby babble that came from Spike. Twilight stood up and looked at Rarity, she stepped closer and embraced her into a tight hug before quickly moving back over to the door.

"Darling." Rarity coughed. "How did you-"

"I'll explain later." Twilight spoke up, she dropped her fake smile and genuinely looked unhappy. "I just want to see Spike."

The lock inside the door made some more noise and it finally clicked, the handle turned on its own and Sweetie Belle peeked through the door to see Rarity and Twilight standing in front of the door.

"Twilight." Sweetie Belle squeaked, her hand went through the small opening in the doorway and gestured for the librarian to come inside. Twilight slowly walked through the doorway and entered Sweetie's bedroom. Without a word, Rarity walked closer to the door only to find it shut directly in her face.

Twilight scanned Sweetie's bedroom and found it surrounded in all things girly. Pink bedsheets, butterfly curtains and a pearl white wardrobe with heart shaped emblems on the wooden doors. It somewhat resembled the nursery back at the library, this felt so weird for Twilight.

On the floor was a cardboard box filled to the brim with clothing made for infants and toddlers ranging from onesies, overalls, t-shirts, diaper covers, bibs and more that all came with Rarity's style and sense of quality.

Sweetie Belle walked over to her bed and sat on the side, she looked at the ground and tapped her foot on the wooden flooring. Twilight immediately noticed a lump in the thick white blanket over the top of the bed and instantly knew that Spike was underneath.

"I'm sorry." Sweetie began to speak. "I hope you're not angry with me."

Twilight took a few steps forward and looked at sat herself down on the edge of the bed. She lifted the blanket up and saw Spike in his new clothes.

There was something that made Twilight's heart suddenly beat faster the very second she laid eyes upon her baby brother, the stress and pressure inside her head suddenly evaporated just for this moment. She leaned back and felt her jaw drop in amazement.

Instead of wearing his usual purple onesie, the one with various drool, milk and porridge stains all over the front. He sported a clean white t-shirt with some light blue jeans, his diaper poked out from the top of his jeans ever so slightly. A pair of white velcro shoes with a streak of blue going through the middle. He had a purple pacifier in his mouth which he happily suckled on.

The infant instantly recognized Twilight and raised his arms up into the air, spitting his pacifier out, only to have it dangle about thanks to a special strap that was attached to his t-shirt.

"Ba! Ba!" Spike happily yelled.

"Spike!" Twilight reached for her baby brother and picked him up, she wrapped her arms around the infant and kept him close in a tight hug. Sweetie Belle shuffled over a smiled a little at the sight of her handiwork.

It wasn't long before Rarity opened the door and barged into the room looking very unhappy, she walked right up to Sweetie Belle and grabbed her by the collar.

"Sweetie Belle." Rarity growled. "What do you have to say for yourself?"

Before Rarity could continue, she turned her head and looked at Twilight to find her with Spike in her arms. She let go of Sweetie Belle and sat beside her friend, peering over her shoulder to get a glimpse at Spike.

"Oh my." Rarity gasped. "I'm so glad that Spike is okay."

"He's more than okay." Twilight looked up at the fashionista, tears had begun to fall down her face and her lip quivered uncontrollably. She instantly broke down into a mess and held Spike even tighter than before. Rarity wrapped her arms around the librarian and gestured for Sweetie Belle to leave the room, Sweetie complied and sheepishly moved out for the two adults to have their time alone.

"What's wrong?" Rarity tapped Twilight on the back.

"N-Nothing, Look at him. He's so beautiful." Twilight started to choke on her own words. Nothing right now could describe the mix of stress and happiness that was wrapped right in her arms. She turned to look at Rarity and sniffled. "I c-can't help it. I haven't been able to sleep for the last few months and I can't stop crying."

Rarity didn't respond.

"I told my mom that I didn't want to see her again and now I can't stop thinking about her. Oh Celestia, I just wish this would all go away!"

A look of seriousness came over Rarity, she hopped off Sweetie Belle's bed and walked over to the door.

"Stay right there, Twilight." Rarity opened the door.

"Where are you going?" Twilight gasped for air, clutching her baby brother still tight as ever.

"I'm going to make an important phone call."

Author's Note:

So...

It's the first chapter I've written in a very long time and for those who don't know, I announced back in January 2014 that I was going to leave the site and move on with different projects. Life and more personal issues got in the way of that I told a lot of people that my account is dead and I would be no longer writing.

Things have changed for the better and now I'm able to return writing and I seriously hope I can pick up the slack and do something good on this site.

So yeah, Unexpected Arrival. It's been a long time since I've written this story and I'm more than happy to come back and continue writing. I think there is a lot of potential and ideas that can be explored with a story like this and I want to see how far I can push it.

I've done a small chapter to get myself back in the whole writing game and I wish to make longer chapters that will be satisfying for all readers. I apologize if my writing skills aren't very good as I've been a bit rusty and behind on a lot of things. Hopefully I will be able to improve my skills and continue from where I left off.