• Published 23rd Aug 2013
  • 5,282 Views, 164 Comments

Unexpected Arrival - GlitchyProductions



When the Sparkle family falls apart, Twilight is thrown in the middle of the chaos by having to look after her baby brother Spike.

  • ...
8
 164
 5,282

New Leaf

"... I came here to tell you that I am starting a new leaf with Spike." Twilight took a sip of her coffee. "And this decision is final."

Cup Cake nervously rubbed her hands together and cleared her throat.

"I'm not one to argue, Twilight. But aren't you going a little too far with this? I mean... I read that copy of the letter you sent to your mother and doesn't it seem a little..." She paused and looked down at the table. "Harsh?"

"It isn't." Twilight replied. "I don't want to keep on fighting and arguing over my parents or who has the most likely story. I just want to keep Spike happy and make sure that his future is secure, when I see a smile on his little face I feel good inside, I can't let that smile go to waste on my parents, can I?"

"I understand, Twilight." Cup Cake nodded. "Though it's your decision to say what you want to your parents and I as your friend won't intrude on your problems, I personally think what you wrote in that letter was very harsh, but if that's what you think and want to say I won't stop you or even judge you for saying it."

"Thanks Cup Cake." Twilight smiled. "That means a lot to me."

Cup Cake smiled back at Twilight, but let out a little sigh, she took a sip of her drink and put it back down on the table.

"No worries, Twilight. I honestly think you are able to handle Spike in more ways than one, you seem to understand and fix mistakes pretty quickly and you keep things organized despite your lack of sleep. You'll do fine, every time you feel down in the dumps, just think of the reason why you're looking after Spike and what your love and care will do to him in the future. I bet when he's a ten year old boy, he'll still be that little adorable rascal that he is today." Cup Cake finished with another little smile and then took another sip of her drink.

"I suppose the whole education issue isn't really a problem." Twilight said. "I can start reading to him from an early age and help him with numbers before he heads off to school or kindergarten, whatever they call it these days. It's almost kinda funny now that I mention it. Whenever I read a book during my free time, Spike seems to always be interested in the book itself, not what I'm reading, but just the books. Maybe that is a sign that he'll be great with reading, or writing for that matter."

"Have the Princesses ever seen Spike in person? Since you're connected with Royalty I imagine that you would get a top-notch education from Canterbury and all sorts of other bonuses." Cup Cake leaned back in her chair and put her hands on the table top, waiting for Twilight's answer.

"I know that Princess Celestia and Cadance have seen him, though, it was when I adopted him back from the Government. Princess Luna on the other hand hasn't seen him, she was pretty busy that day with her Royal duties."

"Hmm. You know what you should do." Cup Cake pointed at Twilight. "You should go see your friends, Pinkie Pie has been asking me nearly everyday what's happening to you and how you've been feeling. I'm sure they will all understand what choice you've made."

Twilight's smile slowly dropped and she it her lip.

"I don't know... It's been a while, two months in fact and I haven't really told them anything but to stay clear of me until I give the say so. Should I go and tell them everything is okay? Y'know, telling them about what I said to my mom?" Twilight scratched her head.

"You don't have to tell them that exactly." Cup Cake added.

"What do you mean?" Twilight asked.

"You could just tell them that you're in a better mood and you can spend some time with them, as long as you are able to spend it with Spike also. Then again, if it's a girls night out, I don't mind looking after Spike for one night."

"I don't know. I guess speaking to Rarity would be nice, after all, she is the oldest out of the six of us and she would take the news in a mature way." Twilight shrugged.

"Teehee." Cup Cake giggled. "I heard that Sweetie Belle is trying to find some babies for her babysitting course, Rarity told me that was what she wanted to do in the future, though she hasn't asked me about the twins yet, I'm sure she's just a little nervous, that's all."

Before the conversation could continue, a little beeping noise soon filled the room causing Twilight to look round the room, confused where the little beep would be coming from. Cup Cake quickly pulled her arm up and looked at her watch on her wrist.

"Oh. Don't mind that. It's my wrist watch that my hubby gave me on our anniversary, it means it's time to open the Sugarcube Corner. Shame, I had a nice time talking to you, Twilight, maybe you should leave now and we can talk later." Cup Cake rose up from her seat and grabbed her cup of coffee and took a big gulp and emptied it as fast as she could.

"Yes. It was nice talking to you again, Cup Cake, I suppose I could go visit Rarity and Sweetie Belle and tell them the news. Thanks for that." Twilight smiled at the baker and also got up from her seat. She didn't even have to turn to see Spike, strapped in his stroller wearing his usual purple onesie with a big bottle full of milk shoved in his mouth.

"Remember." Cup Cake began to speak. "I'm always here for you."

Twilight nodded at Cup Cake's words and moved over to Spike, who seemed to be too busy with the bottle he had to even notice his sister hovering over him. She dug her fingers into his hair and ruffled his short green spiky hair up, but that didn't get his attention.

"We're going to see Aunt Rarity, what do you think of that?" Twilight cooed.

Spike finished the last bit of his bottle and pulled the amber nipple out of his mouth, followed by a string of drool still hanging onto the nipple he suckled on. He gave a big dopey smile to Twilight and stuck his thumb in his mouth.

"Looks like were heading to the Boutique."

Author's Note:

Sorry for the delay on this chapter, I've been looking for jobs around my local area which has been a pain lately since there are loads of other people wanting the jobs I'm interested in. Not to mention GTAV has been keeping my hands away from the keyboard for quite a while since it came out.