• Published 29th Jul 2013
  • 1,133 Views, 29 Comments

Homefront - Pyramusandthisbe117



A soldier from the frontlines of the Equestrian Civil War returns home to uncertain peace

  • ...
7
 29
 1,133

Chapter 5

“Aah!” I screamed as I awoke with a start. Looking around, I sheepishly realized I was still in the bedroom. Fuckin’ dreams. Rolling out of bed, I realized my fur was covered in a cold sweat; shower time.

Standing idly in the warm stream of water I simply thought, thought about the past. This shit was pissing me off. How could things that happened so long ago still have a fuckin’ stranglehold on my present life? Angrily I smacked the wall only to hear a muffled yelp of surprise from the other side of the room’s wall.

I mentally face-hoofed. “Sorry!” I shouted through to the other side. Whoops, gotta control the anger. But what I needed to do was just something, anything to get my mind off the time spent over there. Slowly I shut the water off, the stream turning into a trickle, dripping repetitively onto the shower floor.

Clambering out, I dried off hurriedly and threw on my polo. Oh Celestia, this thing was ratty as hell with holes and splotches galore on it. No amount of washing was going to salvage this poor guy. I sighed in annoyance. There was no way in hell that I should walk into the bars here with this on. And if Autumn was right about that Dash character, then I might as well try to give a shit about my appearance right? Right.

Grabbing the room key off the nightstand, I trotted over to the door. “Alright Coban, let’s get you a decent shirt” I mumbled to myself.

●●●

Walking down the quaint streets of Ponyville was drastically different compared to the hustle and bustle of downtown Canterlot that I had grown accustomed to. It was nice though. A few colts and fillies ran through the street playing whatever little game they were doing. I felt a smile tug at the corner of my lips. This was a nice place, maybe I’d find a way to settle down out here. Definitely blew Canterlot outta the water.

Looking left and right at all the shops I searched for someplace that would sell clothing when one shop on the edge of the main drag caught my eye. It was relatively smaller in comparison to some of the other locations but was decorated in a rather gaudy manner with ‘Carousel Boutique’ emblazoned on a sign nearby.

I chuckled quietly to myself, who decorates like that? Maybe I just didn’t understand fashion, but it’d be worth a quick visit. After all, worst comes to worst, I’d swing in and get a kick out of possibly more outrageous décor.

Opening the front door to the boutique, the smell of potpourri wafted in my direction. Didn’t look like the interior was done like the outside. Thank Celestia, I suppose. Was probably just to attract potential customer’s attentions just like it had to mine.

“Welcome to Carousel Boutique!” came a rather elegant voice from the next room over. “I’ll be with you in a minute!”

“Alright.” I replied. Wow there were a lot of mane-equins here, must be a custom tailoring type of place. A purple-maned mare trotted into the room. “Hello” I started before she cut me off abruptly with a shriek of horror.

“Celestia! What is that?!” she wailed in disgust, shielding her eyes from me.

I stood there jaw agape. I couldn’t remember anypony being that rude to me before. What the fuck was her problem?

“It looks like that polo has been through a war!” she cried out, suddenly getting rather close to visually inspect my shirt.

“Uh….what?” I stammered in confusion. What the hell was going on?

“You simply cannot be wearing this type of dreck around! Allow me to get your measurements.” She hurriedly began working while I remained standing there still in shock from the initial introduction.

“I’m….uh….looking to buy a…uh…plain fitted collared shirt?”

Her ears drooped slightly. “Oh, okay. No patternwork or anything else?”

“No. Just a plain fitted collared shirt.”

She huffed slightly, “Well we can make that work. Now since your coat is a slight shade of grey, I’d recommend one of these colors.” A hoof-full of swatches flew at my face.

“Let’s go with the tan?”

Pulling the swatches away, she gave an approving nod. “Alright, sir. If you could just have a seat over here, I’ll have your shirt ready within five minutes!” Five minutes? Wow, I thought, how the hell? “By the way, I forgot to ask you your name sir! I’m Rarity, proud owner and operator of this fine establishment!” she said with a smile.

“Nice to meet you, Rarity. Name’s Coban.” I extended my hoof in greeting.

At the mention of my name, her eyes narrowed slightly. Slowly, she shook my hoof. “You wouldn’t happen to know a ‘Rainbow Dash’ would you?” Rarity inquired.

“Yeah, actually.” I laughed. “Rode with her and a friend of hers on the train from Canterlot earlier. I’m actually supposed to meet up with them later at the library here…”

Before I could even finish, Rarity gasped rather loudly in surprise. “Oh my goodness! You’re the stallion Rainbow was telling me about! Why didn’t you say so earlier?”

“Huh?” I asked, rather dumbly. Wow Coban, fuckin’ smooth. “I guess?”

The mare in front of me giggled excitedly as she did a little dance that could really only be described as rapid tiptoeing in place. What the hell did I just get myself into?

●●●

As Autumn walked through the streets of Ponyville, her mind wandered to thoughts of the past. “Ugh, snap out of it,” she muttered to herself. Stopping in front of some nameless shop along the main street, Autumn casually scanned her surroundings as the clock tower struck five. Shit, where the hell was this fucker?

“Looking for somepony?” came a voice from behind.

“Hey, Deacon,” Autumn briskly replied.

“Walk with me.” Autumn obliged, struggling to hold her tongue. Once they were out of earshot of most ponies, Deacon turned her head slightly towards Autumn. “Why the fuck is Rawhide here?”

“Don’t start with me, Deacon” hissed Autumn. “I should be asking you why the hell you requested a damned daytime meet. You KNOW how fucking dangerous this is.”

Autumn felt her soul wither slightly as Deacon glared at her. “Change of plans. The cattle are back at the ranch. Don’t fuck this up.” And with that, Deacon left as abruptly as she had appeared. Autumn shook her head as she started heading towards the town library. She would have to ask how Deacon was capable of that.

●●●

After nearly an hour, the shirt was finally complete. As I scurried away from the white and purple menace known as Rarity who had talked my ear off about shit I didn’t care about, I swore to avoid coming back to that little shop.

I looked down in the little shopping bag that I now carried and grinned. Well she did make this shirt to my exact order. I sighed, knowing that I should probably give that mare a second chance. Maybe the next time she wouldn’t be so….overbearing? Yeah, that’s probably the best word. With a loud cacophony, the clock-tower struck five. I awoke from my reverie. Five. What time were we…shit!

In a full gallop, I scurried as quickly as I could to the library. Fifteen minutes early is fifteen minutes late, yada yada. If there was anything I still retained from my time in the service, it was be early, no matter where you go. And plus, I wouldn’t mind getting to know those two from the train a bit more. They seemed pretty nice.

●●●

After an exhaustive twenty minute run/search for the library, I finally found it. “Who the fuck builds a library in a tree?” I heard myself say incredulously.

“Not sure, but it’s pretty cool on the inside!”

“Gah!” I jumped and whirled around, taking a defensive stance with the shopping bag clutched tightly in my teeth. That was when I heard that husky laugh. Damnit.

As Rainbow Dash struggled to stop laughing I could do nothing but glare at her. Harder? Nope, she’s still laughing. “You look absolutely ridiculous!” She said between fits of laughter.

Ridiculous? Me? Fuck no, I’m the goddamned epitome of fierce and strength. Oh…the bag. Setting it down gently, I sighed heavily. “Don’t do that.”

Rainbow’s laughter died down noticeably now. “Don’t do what?” she asked.

“Sneak up on me like that.”

Realization flashed across her face, “Yeah. Sure, Coban.” She sheepishly kicked at a pebble. “So…um, you’re here early…”

“Yeah! Yeah…uh, you know. Still stuck in the military mindset I guess.” I laughed. Oh goddess, that sounded like a crazy pony’s laugh. I should probably work on that. The laughing thing.

Rainbow shrugged, “I know what you mean. Some things just stick with you.”

“Yup.” Goddess, Coban! This was how you talk to the mares? Get your shit together! After all, Autumn said this one in particular was interested, right? Get crackin’! “So. I guess we go into the place of the books to meet…the others?” Holy fuck.

Rainbow chuckled quietly. “You sure have a way with words, don’t you?”

“Hey! In my defense, I only get this way around…” Oh fuck! Coban! Stop your goddamned mouth! “…um…”

With a sultry glance, Rainbow asked “Gonna finish that sentence?”

Oh no. No no no no nonononono. Don’t do this, Coban! You barely even know her! “Uhm…libraries…yep! That’s what I was gunna say. Heh…ehh he.” Fuck, really? Libraries?

With a seemingly knowing grin, Dash moved in dangerously close. “Libraries?” I nodded my head rapidly. The proverbial grave was getting deeper as I gulped nervously. “You’re too funny, Coban.” She giggled. Why was that cute? Aw shit.

Grinning like a fool, I nervously backed up into the library. Not sure how this evening could get any more awkward. “Hi!” said somepony behind me once again.

“Fuck!” I shouted, spinning around only to see Twilight. Both of us stared at each other in confusion. “I have to change!” I blurted out.

“Oh, uh.” She seemed a bit caught off guard by my reaction. “Restroom is up the stairs and to the left.” Before she had finished her sentence I took off for said stairs.

●●●

After a few minutes of calming down and changing into the new custom polo, I trotted back out downstairs to see a bunch of new faces. In a hurried manner, Rainbow introduced me to her friends. There was Shutterfly? Or maybe it was Fluttershy. The yellow one who was shy. I’ll get it right eventually. Apparently she wouldn’t be going to the club with us. Pinkie Pie, whom Twilight had to have an extensive talk with to explain my condition. Then there was Apple Jack who I took an instant liking too. She reminded me of Strong with that country accent.

“Rarity wanted to come, sugar-cube,” Applejack began. “But she’s just been swamped in orders lately. And from what I hear, you two are already met?”

“Yeah…we did.” The mares started chuckling. “What?”

“She, uh….has a way with ponies the first time she meet ‘em hun” said Applejack as she tried to suppress her amusement.
I nodded in agreement. Looking around I noticed that there was one pony not present. “Hey have y’all seen…”

“Hey Doc!” came the reply. I looked to the door and saw Autumn standing there, seemingly exhausted. “Mares,” she began.

Twilight interrupted Autumn, “Oh, girls! This is Autumn, the other pony Dash and I met today!” Autumn raised her hoof in a quick greeting.

“Thanks for the invite, Twilight, but I think I might head back to the Inn to take a real quick nap.”

The other mares nodded with a sort of understanding, “You sure you don’t wanna go with us?” I inquired. I kinda need somepony I know well to come with.

She flashed a tired smile my way. “Sorry, Doc. I really need to get some sleep. But if I wake up sooner than I plan on, I might stop at the club. Which one you all going to?”

“Club 38!” replied Rainbow.

“Nice! You’ll have fun, Doc. You need it. Nice meeting you girls!” Autumn said as she turned to leave. Upon saying our goodbyes, the group decided it was about time to head over to the club.

Rainbow casually snuck up next to me and poked me with her wing. I looked at her slightly puzzled before breaking out in a smile as she pulled a flask from her saddle bag.

“I like how you think,” I whispered to her before taking a swig of liquor unbeknownst to the others. Passing it to Rainbow, I asked, “What was that?”

“The Apple’s Cider. I stocked up last year since I almost never get a chance to have any.”

“I’ll let ya know, I’ve never been a big fan of hard cider, but that was really good!”

“I know, keep quiet about it though, cause Pinkie Pie downs this stuff like its nothing.”

I stared at the hyper, bouncing, pink pony who Twilight was still struggling to keep under some semblance of control. “I could see that.” Rainbow giggled quietly and raised a hoof to her mouth. Goddess, that was cute.

As we approached Club 38, I could hear the heavy bass and rapid up-tempo rhythms pounding through its walls. I had heard about this place and how famous it was, but never expected to see a line that long. How the hell did we expect to get in?

Dash nudged me gently, “Follow close, Coban.” The group began to approach the VIP area.

“Mares, Dash!” exclaimed a bouncer. “How you doing?” he asked as he stepped aside to let her and her friends pass before suddenly cutting me off. “And where the hell do you think YOU’RE going?” the bouncer glared at me.

“Hey! Silver! He’s with us!” protested the mares.

“Oh, sorry.” he said, stepping aside. “Don’t think we’re not watchin you though” he said through gritted teeth. I pushed past him and followed the girls inside to be greeted by a rapid up-tempo beat. Ponies are far as I could see were dancing to the rhythm in brightly colored clothes and glow in the dark accessories, drowned in a cascade of pulsating strobe lights.

All the girls with the exception of Rainbow went off into various sections of the club and disappeared into a sea of ponies. It was all a little overwhelming at first, and Dash could see the growing worry in my face. “Wanna grab a few more drinks first before we hit the dance floor?” I nodded, just one beer to take the edge off. “Hey! Two dalmares over here!” she shouted to the bartender.
I shot a glance at Dash. “The fuck is a dalmare?”

She laughed. “Don’t tell me you don’t do hard liquor? Thought all you military ponies liked a good whiskey.”
“Alcohol in general. I never took to learning the names of the drinks though, mostly spent more time mixing random drinks together to see the effects.” The bartender slid both the shots to us in one fluid movement. Impressive. “Bottoms up!” I shouted before downing the shot. Wow, wine-y type whiskey without a strong smell. I looked over to see Dash cough once, trying to play it off. “Hey it’s okay, rookie!” I smirked.

“Oh yeah?! Is that a challenge?” she asked. Shit, forgot about that whole competitive thing of hers. I paused for a split second. “What’s the matter? Worried you’ll lose to a mare?” she taunted.

I flipped my shot glass over. “Not on your life.” Fuuuuck, what was I doing? “Bartender! Another five shots for the both of us! In fact, make it eight!” I stared Dash down and could see her eyes grow wide at the mention of another eight shots. “I play for reals, Dash!” I whispered.

Her normal brashness and bravado was totally gone, as her eight shots were placed in front of her. “We start on three, first pony to down them all wins.” I stated as I eyeballed the glasses. “One, two….three!” I lunged at the drinks like a madpony, and within seconds, I finished the last glass and victoriously slammed it on the counter, albeit feeling like shit.

Dash on the other hoof, seemed to still be stuck on shot number three. I laughed as Dash shot me a nasty look. “You don’t have to finish them all, if you don’t want.” Slowly, she set the half full shotglass back down.

With more speed and force than I would ever expect, she pulled me close and whispered “You’d better not tell anypony about this!” I nodded, slightly concerned for my safety. “Good!” she proclaimed, reverting back to her normal self. “Ready to dance?” she asked.
My legs were shaky and I was now running on a very….very good buzz. “Fuck yeah!” I shouted and pumping my hoof in the air, to the annoyance of a few other bar patrons nearby.

Dash giggled, “That’s the spirit!” as she pulled me through to the crowded dance floor. The ground shook from the kick of the bass. Rainbow Dash began to move to the beat with ease. Her hips moving from side to side in a hypnotic fashion, her tail flicking side to side. She looked in my direction and caught me staring and slowly began to make her way over to me, “You gonna just keep staring, or you gonna join me?” Dash beckoned mischievously.

“Uh…” I stammered. Awesome, can’t even fucking speak now. “It’s been a while since I’ve danced” I sputtered, trying to get out of dancing.

Dash pouted, “You’re going to make a mare beg?”

“Fine,” I sighed. Those times I got drunk at the dining-out events the Army had surely must’ve paid off for something. Fuck, this was gunna be embarrassing. I began to dance, moving with the rhythm of the electronic music. Pulling up some various hazy memories of events past, I started to do some of my old routines I would do with the guys when we used to get drunk enough to dance like idiots in front of good ‘ol Sergeant Major.

Dash looked at me in surprise. “I thought you said you weren’t any good?”

“Never said I wasn’t.” I shouted back to her, “And besides, I’m pretty sure it’s the alcohol that’s doing this.”
Other ponies began to circle around us to watch. “Hey! I think they want a show!”

Rainbow Dash shouted back, “Well, let’s give them one then. You lead!” We both began to dance with each other, as the crowd around us grew bigger. It was almost as if we were both feeding off each other’s energy, and before I knew it, the song was over.
As the other ponies resumed their own dancing again, Rainbow got in my face. “Damn, you’re good”

I laughed, bullshit I’m good. “Nah, you’re just drunk.”

She laughed and wrapped her hooves around me. “You’re a funny guy, Coban…I knew you were a funny guy. That’s why you’re so awesome!” Gently moving her to a seat, I nabbed two beers from the bar counter and brought them back over.
With my teeth I popped off the bottle caps and offered one to Dash. In her woozy state, she struggled to grasp it. I chuckled to her annoyance. “This isn’t funny, Coban. Hah! I got it!” she proclaimed before spilling half of the beer onto part of her outfit and the floor. Huh, that’s funny. Why didn’t I notice the outfit before?

With a defeated look, Rainbow dejectedly looked up towards me. “Aw, that’s cute!” No sooner, had the words come out did I see a grin appear across her face.

“I KNEW IT!”

Startled, I jumped slightly in my seat. “Know what?” feigning innocence.

“You think I’m cute!” Crap.

“What?! No! I um. I meant that expression was cute!”

“So you don’t think I’m cute? What are you trying to say, Coban?”

“I…wha…huh?” I stuttered. Celestia, help me. Rainbow burst out laughing. What the hell?

“Just messing with you, Coban!” she said, “But you did say that I was cute!”

I grinned, “Yeah, you do look attractive in that outfit of yours.” Rainbow’s cheeks flushed a deep red as she quickly looked away. Yup two can play this game.

Rolling my eyes, I took a long sip on my beer when somepony caught my attention. “Hey, Dash. You know that guy?” I inquired, as my words began to slightly slur. “Hey Dash?” She just stared at me with a weird look on her face. “Equestria to Dash?! Hello?” I waved my hoof in front of her face.

Finally, she spoke, “You…think I look…attractive?” Her eyes still didn’t meet mine.

I nodded matter of factly, “Yeah. You are.” What was she getting at? Blushingly, with a shyness I had not known her for, Dash quietly mumbled a thank you, and flicked her tail in apprehension.

“But Dash,” I pressed the question again. “Do you know him?” I nodded my head in the stallion’s direction.

“Oh, him?” She seemed lost in thought. “That’s just Thunderlane. One of the pegasai on the weather team here.”

“He always walk with a limp?”

“No? Why?”

Her response drove fear I had not known for quite some time now into my heart. Urgently, I pulled her close. “Dash, we need to find your friends and get the hell out of here, now.”

Dash began to protest, “But we just got here Coban. We can stay…”

“Find your friends, we leave NOW!” I hissed. Immediately, I felt bad for being a bit aggressive with her, but something was very wrong here. That was when we both heard it.

“For the Lunar Republic!”

Author's Note:

Holy Jeebus. Kind of overdue. Not super thrilled about how this one turned out, but I needed to put it out to help the story progress. Just been really busy this past semester. Thanks for your patience!