• Published 28th Jul 2013
  • 3,670 Views, 91 Comments

Luck from a Horseshoe - my_little_medic



After saving a young girls life while doing his job. A gift is given to him with a special power that he will soon realize.

  • ...
10
 91
 3,670

Visitors

'What has happened to me...?' Vince thought to himself as the medicine's sedating effects began to weaken it's hold on him. 'How is any of this possible...?' Tears slowly began to escape from his closed eyes and run down his cheeks.

Vince was not a weak willed individual by any means, but when we feel like we are at absolute 'rock bottom' what else is there to do, other than to allow our emotions to escape and try to renew us?

He laid there propped up in the hospital bed with his eyes shut, allowing the tears to freely flow as he recalled the memories of his old self. 'Will I ever see Jessica again outside of just a memory?' He thought to himself. 'What about my family and friends? What am I supposed to do now...?' He took a deep breath and let it out as he tried to clear his mind and relax. 'This IS real... There's no denying that.' He thought as he recalled the immense pain from the night before.

He heard a quiet 'click' as the hospital room's door slowly opened. He could hear what sounded like hoofsteps as whoever it was tried to quietly enter the room. He lied there with his eyes shut listening. Whoever was entering his room, there was more than one.

The door shut with another quiet 'click' as his visitors now stood at the foot of the hospital bed. They all looked at the white pegasus as he lied there with his eyes closed.

"He definitely looks a million times better than he did the other night." Rainbow Dash said in a quiet voice as she surveyed the stallion's bandaged and slinged right leg and wing.

Applejack nodded. "You ain't a kiddin."

Pinkie Pie quietly walked over to the side of the pegasus' bed and looked at his face. "Ahhh..." She said with a frown. "He's been crying. Look..."

Pinkie Pie pointed with a hoof at the stallion's face. There were noticeable trails of wet and matted fur around his eyes and down his face where the tears had dried.

Vince lied there listening to the others talk. 'These voices... sound familiar...' He thought.

Taking a deep breath and blowing it out, he slowly opened his eyes. His vision was blurry but as he slowly looked towards the foot of the bed it cleared enough for him to see who his visitors were. There standing in front of him were three vibrantly colored ponies. He blinked a few times as he tried to get the film to clear from his eyes.

"Look ya'll!" Applejack said as she pointed a hoof at the stallion. "He's wakin' up!"

The three friends huddled in next to each other at the foot of the bed as they all stared at the waking stallion. Pinkie Pie watched from the side of the bed with a smile on her face.

Vince couldn't do anything but stare at the three ponies ahead of him. He glanced from one pair of eyes to the other until he had met each of their gazes several times. 'This is real... This is real... This is real...' He repeated over and over in his head as he tried to drum up the nerve to actually say something.

The three friends looked at each other and Twilight shrugged before she looked back at the stallion. "Umm..... Hi there..." She said trying not to sound too uncomfortable.

"......Hi...." Vince managed in a hoarse and shaky voice as he looked at the lavender colored pony. He noticed her dark purple mane with the pink stripe through it, but found it extremely hard to take his attention off of the purple colored horn sticking out of her head.

'Real...! This is actually happening...!' His mind screamed as it beat away his sense of rational thinking.

Twilight looked to her friends with an uncomfortable smile before looking back at the pegasus. "I'm Twilight Sparkle." She announced putting a hoof up to her chest.

"Umm..... I'm...aahh....." He answered, straining to come up with his own name. At this point his mind was once again becoming an absolute mess as he tried to make sense of all this. The only thing he thought he could muster were the simplest words and phrases. It was almost as if he were a child learning to talk for the first time.

The three ponies gave each other a quick glance with raised eyebrows before looking back at the stallion. Twilight gave Applejack a nudge with her shoulder.

"Oh....a..." Applejack said shakily before smiling and taking on a confident look. "I'm Applejack! It's a pleasure ta meet ya!" She said putting her hoof up to her chest as well.

'Twilight Sparkle and Applejack.... Were these nick-names?' He wondered.

Vince gave a small nod acknowledging Applejack and then cast his gaze over at the light blue pony on the right. She had deep purple eyes that were staring at him very intently. The one thing that held Vince's attention the most was the multicolored hair that this pony had. She had all the colors of the rainbow streaked in her mane and tail.

Applejack gave Rainbow Dash a small kick from her hind leg which brought the staring pony back to her senses.

Rainbow Dash spread her wings out and with a light flap, brought herself hovering just above the ground. "And I'm Rainbow Dash!" She stated proudly as she put a hoof up to her chest as well.

Vince's eyes grew big as he watched the blue pony spread her wings and fly up to her hovering position. He blinked a few times before he finally managed to spit out, "...w...wings!"

"Huh...?" Rainbow Dash said as she gave the stallion a confused look.

"...Wings" He said again in a slightly panicked voice. "You....have wings!"

Rainbow Dash flashed a very confused look at the stallion before landing back on the ground next to Applejack. "Uh.... Yeah...... so do you." She said pointing with a hoof.

"Huh?!" The stallion said as he slowly arched his back to try and sit up in the bed. He was reminded of the effects of the sedative as his head began to spin slightly. He blinked as he leaned forward, putting his left hoof down in front of him on the mattress to keep from falling forward. He looked down at the grey hoof in front of him for a moment. '...Real.....Real....' He thought again as he closed his eyes for a moment. He opened his eyes again and looked to his left, where he was met face to face with a pink pony with bright blue eyes. "Whoa!" He exclaimed as he jumped slightly.

"Hi! I'm Pinkie Pie!" The pony said in a very excited voice as she jumped up and down briefly.

He looked at the bouncing pony, confusion evidently showing on his face. "Pinkie.....Pie?" He asked.

The pony's fur was a bright pink color and she had a slightly darker pink mane and tale that looked like they had been freshly fluffed in the dryer.

"Yup! That's me! It's nice to meet you! Applejack, Twilight and Rainbow Dash told me all about how you came falling out of the sky, which I really thought was weird with you being a pegasus and all, and how they saw you crash into Applejack's orchard and brought you here to Ponyville Hospital." She rambled off. "We decided that we were all gonna come see how you were doing. But then we weren't sure if it was a good idea when the nurse told us that you had a super-freaky meltdown last night. OH! And we also brought you some cake!" She finished with a large smile.

He tilted his head a bit as he tried to rewind everything the pink pony had rambled off to listen to it again slower. The one thing that hung with him was, 'pegasus...?!'

He looked back at the other three ponies standing in front of his bed. "I'm a....pegasus?!" He asked in a very surprised voice.

The three glanced back and forth at each other, growing concern evident on their faces.

His attention was snapped back to the pink pony as she said, "You sure are!" She reached behind him with her forehooves and pulled his left wing forward into his line of vision. "See!" She once again ended with a huge smile on her face.

He studied the wing wide eyed. It was amazing! Each feather on his wing was a bright and pure white. The feathers had such an exquisite detail and texture to them. He was mesmerized. He wanted to touch them, to reach over and feel how soft they were. He looked down at the grey hoof that was holding him up in bed. He sighed as he turned his head back to his wing. After a few more moments his concentration was broken again by Pinkie Pie's voice.

"Wow..... It's like you've never even seen your own wings before or something....?" She said as she let go of his wing.

He felt the muscles in his new appendage move as she released it. Slowly he flexed those muscles and watched as the wing moved up and down. A grin spread over his face as he moved it up and down and soon back and forth. A thought popped into his head as he focused on his newly discovered appendage. 'Real! This is REAL!' He continued to move his wing back and forth. He turned his head to the right and tried to bring his other wing forward into view by moving the same muscles on that side. But, a short sudden burst of pain shot through what he felt was his right shoulder and it made him jump slightly.

"Ouch!" He exclaimed looking over his right shoulder and seeing all the bandaging around his right wing.

"Careful now!" Applejack said.

Vince looked over his damaged wing and then down to his right arm, or 'foreleg now, I suppose.' He thought.

He looked up at the three ponies in front of the bed with Pinkie Pie finally coming over to join them. He gave a quick glance at the mattress and then raised his eyes back up to meet theirs.

"So... you all brought me here after my..... accident?" Vince asked.

Rainbow was the first to answer. She puffed out her chest and raised her head up proudly. "Sure did! We carried you all the way here from Applejack's farm!."

"I seem ta remember Twilight doing most of the carrying with her magic." Applejack said with a sarcastic smile.

Rainbow Dash stuck her tongue out at Applejack before turning her attention back to the stallion. "We all saw what we thought was a falling star and then all of a sudden, we saw you falling out of the sky. Doc said that you were lucky we were there to witness your crash! He said that if we hadn't been there you may not have survived the night..."

Vince gave an awkward smile at his visitors before saying, "Well... I suppose I should be glad you were there then... and... thank you..."

Vince looked over at Twilight whom he noticed was giving him a very quizzical stare. It was as if he were a complicated math problem written on a blackboard and she was the student trying solve it. He quickly dropped his gaze back down to his hooves.

"Ooh! Applejack! The cake!" Pinky said brightly.

"Oh, I almost forgot about it." Applejack turned her head over to her side and opened the flap on her saddle bags she was still wearing. "You mind Twilight?" She asked through clenched teeth as she held the flap open.

Twilight let her gaze drop from the stallion. "Sure!" She answered.

Vince looked up and watched with a stunned look on his face as Twilight's horn began to glow a pale lavender color. Then he watched what looked like a bunched up napkin levitate out of Applejack's saddlebag that had the same pale aura around it. The wad of napkin landed on a small table that was on the left side of the bed and the aura disappeared. He followed the piece of cake with wide eyes and then turned his gaze back to Twilight. Twilight's look slowly went back to her quizzical stare.

'Remember this is real.... THIS IS REAL!' He reassured himself mentally. 'You can try and understand it all later! Just keep a hold of your sanity! Remember, REAL!'

A knock on the door made him jump and he fell back into his pillows. The door slowly cracked open and Vince watched as a small purple dragon poked his head inside. Vince's eyes quickly grew huge and his pupils shrank to pinpoints. His jaw would have fallen to the floor if it hadn't been attached.

"Twilight?" The purple dragon asked as he slowly opened the door and walked into the room. "The hallway was getting really boring." He looked over at the stallion in the hospital bed. "How's he doing?"

'NOT REAL! NO FREAKING WAY THIS IS REAL!' Vince's thoughts screamed as he watched the purple lizard walk into his room.

Twilight looked at spike. "Well..." She said looking up at the stallion and seeing the look of terror on his face. "Umm... he was doing all right..." She lowered here head, breaking the stallion's stare with Spike. "You okay?" She asked.

The stallion met her gaze and without thinking yelled, "WHAT IS THAT THING!" As he pointed his left hoof down at Spike.

Spike gave the stallion an angry look and crossed his arms across his chest. "Well that wasn't very nice!" He exclaimed, shifting his look to Twilight.

Twilight leaned in and quietly spoke in Spike's ear. "Sorry, Spike. I don't think he means any offense... It's just... I don't even think he knows who, where or even what he is! Give him a chance, okay?"

Spike dropped his arms down to his sides and put on a fake smile. He slowly walked over to the panicked stallions side of the bed and, standing on his tip toes, held out a clawed hand to the stallion. "The name's Spike! And it's a pleasure to meet you" Spike said in a calm lie.

Vince was shaking from pure anxiety at this point. Soon, tears began to well up in his eyes and he curled his back legs up into his chest and threw his face down into his knees and covered it with his good foreleg. He began sobbing very loudly, his grasp on what he assumed to be reality completely gone again.

The group watched as the stallion curled up into a ball and began loudly sobbing. They all looked at each other with concern in their eyes. Spike slowly backed up to Twilight with a look of sadness now on his face.

"I was trying to be nice..." Spike said.

Twilight shook her head at him. "I don't think it's anything you did Spike. I think that this pony has been through a lot more than we know..." She looked back up at the sobbing stallion a few tears forming in her eyes now.

Rainbow Dash spread her wings and flew the short distance over to the stallion, landing on the hospital bed next to him. She carefully reached out a foreleg and put it around him.

"Hey now..." She said in a comforting voice.

The stallion felt her put her foreleg around him and, slowly, he curbed his sobbing and wiped his face with his good foreleg. He looked over at Rainbow Dash, tears still trickling out of his eyes. Her deep purple eyes had a very kind look to them.

"None of us have any idea what you've been through since before your crash." She told him in a soft voice. "But I promise you, we're all here for you and we'll do whatever we can to help you through it!" She said as she wrapped a wing around his back and motioned towards the others.

Her voice carried a genuine tone of loyalty and sincerity with it. It relaxed Vince's stressed mind and calmed his nerves. Slowly he shifted his gaze to the others in front of the bed. He glanced from one pony to the next and each of them had a warm smile on their faces.

At last he dropped his gaze down to Spike who immediately dropped his gaze to the side. Vince watched as slowly Spike brought his eyes back over to meet his and a small smile came across the dragon's face.

A feeling came over Vince as he saw the warmth in the others smiles. A feeling he hadn't felt since ending up in this new world. It was a feeling of happiness. He felt very happy to know that these strange ponies not only saved his life, but were wanting to help him.

Vince could feel the heat of the tears welling up in his eyes again. But, this time they weren't there because of pain or sadness. They were there out of happiness. Vince looked to the others once more and then back at Rainbow Dash who still had her wing wrapped around him. A small smile came across his face as a few tears escaped his eyes.

"Thank you!" He said in a weak voice.

"Hey! What are friends for!" Rainbow Dash said with a smile.

Author's Note:

Slow day at work, so here's another chapter! Enjoy!