• Published 28th Jul 2013
  • 3,662 Views, 91 Comments

Luck from a Horseshoe - my_little_medic



After saving a young girls life while doing his job. A gift is given to him with a special power that he will soon realize.

  • ...
10
 91
 3,662

Checking In

Twilight took a deep breath as she finished reading the last line of a book. She looked up at the ornate clock on the wall of her bedroom.

"Well, almost noon!" She said with a smile.

Spike was around the corner dusting off one of the bookshelves in Twilight's library. He poked his head around the corner as he heard her mention the time.

"What happens at noon?" He asked. "Meeting someone for lunch?"

"Yep! Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Applejack and my self are all gonna have lunch and then head to the Ponyville Hospital to see how that pegasus is doing since his accident. After all, it's been a week since we took him there. I'm curious to see what kind of progress he's making."

"Oh..." Spike answered with some disappointment to his voice. "I don't suppose I could come too could I?"

"Sure you can!" Twilight answered. "I had Applejack pack an extra lunch just in case." She winked at him.

"Awesome! Thanks Twilight!" Spike said as he gave her a small hug.

"Of course. We'd better get going though. I don't like being late."

Twilight and Spike headed downstairs and out the door. They met Applejack and Rainbow Dash just a short distance from Ponyville Hospital and picked a nice spot in the grass to set up their picnic lunch. Applejack looked up at Spike with a large grin on her face.

"I didn't reckon you'd a miss'd out on lunch Spike." Applejack teased.

Rainbow Dash just giggled.

"Hey, I want to meet this pegasus too!" Spike said defensively. "The lunch is just a bonus!"

"Sure thing Spike." Applejack replied rolling her eyes at him.

"Hi everypony!" Pinkie Pie yelled as she hopped on all four hooves to the picnic spot. She had a box that she was balancing fairly effortlessly on top of her head as she bounced along. "I brought cake from Sugarcube Corner!"

"Oh awesome!" Rainbow exclaimed as she leaped up from her spot on the ground and in a prismatic streak swiped the box from Pinkie Pie's head.

Pinkie Pie almost rolled hooves over hindquarters. She got up and held up a foreleg angrily. "Hey! That's not just for you Dashie!" She yelled. "Bring that back!"

Rainbow Dash laughed. "All right all right!" Rainbow Dash hovered in the air while she opened the box and snuck a bite of cake before bringing the box back down to their picnic spot.

Pinkie's expression changed instantaneously from anger to a bright big smile. "Thanks!" She exclaimed.

Rainbow Dash just nodded as she secretly chewed up her bit of cake she snuck.

"Come on now ya'll, let's sit down and have us some grub!" Applejack chimed in.

"Sounds good to me." Answered Spike grabbing a sandwich out of Applejack's open saddle bags.

Twilight smiled rolling her eyes at the dragon. "First in line and last one to finish right Spike?"

They all giggled and began eating their lunch. They all enjoyed a nice spread of food that Applejack had prepared for them. Dandelion and daisy sandwiches on some of Granny Smith's fresh baked bread and of course some of the Apple Family's famous fresh apples. After a little bit Pinkie Pie pushed the box of cake into the center of the picnic and opened up the box.

"Hey! Someone's already taken a bite of this!" She said in slight anger.

She looked directly at Rainbow Dash who immediately put a guilty grin on her face and shrugged.

Reaching into the box with a hoof, PInkie Pie grabbed the piece of cake with the bite taken out of it and handed it to Rainbow Dash. "I'm assuming this is yours." She said in mock anger now.

Rainbow grabbed the piece of cake in her mouth with one bite. "Tank' ooo." She said with her mouth full.

PInkie Pie immediately started laughing and then passed the rest of the cake out to everyone else. Spike ended up eating three pieces of the cake and tried to challenge Rainbow Dash to the last piece but Twilight stepped in, adding that 'he had had enough sweets for now.' Reluctantly, Spike gave the last piece to Rainbow Dash who took it in hoof and nibbled on it till it was gone.

"Hey Pinkie Pie!" Spike said. "How come you took two pieces of cake if you weren't going to eat both of them?"

"Oh! It's for the pegasus we're going to visit!" She replied with a big smile. "When I don't feel well, a piece of Mr. and Mrs. Cake's cake always make me feel better unless of course you eat too much cake in which case it would actually make you sick but if you were already sick and you ate too much cake it would probably make you sicker. OH NO! I hope that this pegasus hasn't already had cake in the hospital I don't want to make him sicker by offering him another piece of cake after he already had one." Taking a breath finally, Pinkie Pie looked down at the piece of cake she was saving for the pegasus.

"I'm sure it'll be just fine sugarcube!" Applejack said, giving Pinkie Pie a nice pat on the back.

Pinkie PIe smiled and wrapped the piece of cake up in a napkin before sticking it in Applejack's saddlebags.

They cleaned up the leftovers and stuffed what was left into Applejack's saddlebags. Spike slowly got up, rubbing his full belly.

"Ah, nothing better than a full belly." He said. He let out a loud "Buuuurrrrppp!" Which was accompanied by a green ball of fire. "Oooh." He said blushing slightly. "Excuse me."

They all laughed and started the short trek to the Ponyville Hospital.

"How come Rarity and Fluttershy didn't come along today?" Twilight asked the others.

"Rarity said that she had a lot of work that she was behind on and 'simply couldn't be disturbed while she was creating.'" Rainbow Dash added, mocking Rarity's voice and throwing a hoof to her forehead dramatically.

"Heh!" Laughed Applejack. "An you oughtta know that Fluttershy ain't too keen on meeting strangers. Plus she said that she had some sick critters that needed watchin' over today."

"That makes sense I suppose." Twilight answered.

They all came to the front doors of the hospital which opened automatically for them and they all walked in. The nurse at the front desk was an older mare with a light brown coat and a yellow mane. She was wearing the typical nurse's hat and had her hair tucked underneath it in a hairnet. She was wearing a very bland expression on her face which did not change when she looked up at the group coming in.

"Can I help you?" The older nurse asked in a deeper feminine voice?

"We're here to see the pegasus that was brought in about a week ago after an accident." Twilight said with a smile.

The nurse's expression still didn't change. "You better be a little more specific deary. We've got a few pegasus' in here right now that have all been in accidents." The nurse looked up at Rainbow Dash. "I'm actually surprised you're not one of them this time."

They all looked up at Rainbow Dash who was hovering right at head level and had began to blush a bit. She shot the nurse an annoyed glance before crossing her forelegs and looking at the ground.

"Well, we don't actually know his name..." Twilight told the nurse.

The nurse raised an eyebrow and she stared at the lavender unicorn who was starting to sweat a little bit as she realized how weird this all sounded.

Applejack walked up next to Twilight and nodded to her. Twilight took a step back and Applejack came right up close to the nurse.

In just a little above a whisper, Applejack said to the nurse. "He's the one without a cutie mark."

The nurse's eyes widened a bit. "Oh him." She said in surprise. "Are any of you family?" She asked.

"Nope, just some concerned ponies that wanna make sure he's healing up nicely." Applejack answered.

The nurse's expression changed back to the bland look she had earlier. "I see..." She said. "Very well. Second floor, room fifteen."

"Great, thanks!" Twilight remarked.

"Oh! Check with the nurse before you go in though. They had some trouble with that one last night." The nurse said as she turned back to her duties on her desk.

The group gave each other a puzzled look. Before heading down the hallway to the stairs.

"What do you think she meant by that?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"I don't have a clue. Hopefully he's all right." Twilight answered.

Pinkie Pie let out a gasp as she zipped to the top of the staircase and turned to the group. "What if the 'trouble' she was talking about was him turning into a zombie pony and he tried to come after the other ponies here in the hospital and turn them into zombie ponies also?! Or, what if it meant that he's a big bully and he was being mean to the other ponies here in the hospital and trying to take over?!" She said in a very quick and high pitched voice.

"Well I highly doubt he's a zombie pony..." Applejack said as she rolled her eyes.

"Yeah! I betcha he was just trying to bust out and go for a flight to stretch his wings. He's probably just like me and hates being cooped up in the place for so long!" Rainbow said as she proudly put a hoof to her chest.

"I guess we'll just have to find out from the nurse." Twilight replied as she walked past pinky who was cowering under her own forelegs after her 'zombie pony' speech. "Come on Pinky. I'm sure he's not a zombie pony, and highly unlikely that he would be such a bully."

Pinky Pie unfolded herself and put on a small smile as she turned and followed the group.

They reached the second floor and soon found a nurse standing outside of one of the rooms checking over a patient's chart. They walked up to the nurse who heard their hoofsteps and turned to see them. She was a younger mare with a white coat and a red mane with white streaks, which was also tucked into a hair net and nurse's hat, and matching tail that almost had an unnatural curl to the tip.

"Umm... We're supposed to check with you before we go in to visit room fifteen?" Twilight said with an uneasy smile.

The nurses eyes got a bit bigger. "Fifteen you said?" She asked in a confused voice.

"That's what the nurse downstairs said." Twilight replied.

"Are any of you family?" The nurse inquired.

"No, we're the ones that saw him crash and brought him here. We just wanted to check in on him and see how he's recovering." Twilight answered.

"Well, he was recovering nicely until last night's fiasco!" The nurse said in an angry voice.

"Wh... what happened last night?" Spike asked.

"He finally woke up last night after being asleep so long since his treatment, and then he had a complete meltdown! No one could calm him down. He tried making a run for the window once the doctor came in, but fell to the floor on his injured wing which, thank goodness, ended up stopping him. The doctor had to sedate him and get him back into bed!" The nurse exclaimed. "Thankfully for him, he didn't end up furthering his injuries by that much."

The group of friends all looked at each other with looks of concern very evident in their faces. They were genuinely worried more about the pegasus now than they had been the last week.

"Do you think visiting him is a good idea?" Spike asked the nurse.

The nurse showed a puzzled look on her face before responding. "I really don't know for sure."

"Nurse Tenderheart?" The doctor called as he came around a corner in the hallway. The doctor stopped for a moment when he noticed all of the ponies in the hallway. "Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realize we had so many visitors."

"Doctor, they're here to visit the young pegasus in room fifteen." The nurse said in an uneasy tone.

"Fifteen?!" The doctor said with a startled look at first. The doctor's look quickly changed to a very warm smile. "You know, I bet some nice visitors like you might be just exactly what he needs. Follow me, I'll show you where he is."

The doctor began to walk down the hallway with the group following him. They watched the numbers on the doors increase until the doctor stopped outside of a room with a closed door.

"Here we are." The doctor said as he looked up at the number fifteen on the door. "Now, I must go and tend to my other patients. But, I'll be back to check on him and you and see how everyone's doing. I will warn all of you though. Please don't do anything to startle him. He woke up last night not knowing where he is and, as far as I could tell, who he or anyone else was. I sedated him after he tumbled out of bed and, thankfully, it doesn't seem like he furthered his injuries too badly."

"Was it just the shock of waking up in a strange place doctor?" Twilight asked in a concerned tone.

"I honestly don't know what it was my dear." The doctor replied. "I've never seen anypony act like that before." The doctor said and then he slowly walked back down the hallway.

"You sure you want to do this Twilight?" Spike asked in a shaky voice. "This doesn't seem like a very good idea anymore."

Twilight took a deep breath. She looked up at her friends and said. "Well... The doctor did say that visitors might be just what this pony needs."

The others gave their nods of approval and Twilight slowly pushed the door to the pegasus' room open.

"I'm gonna wait out here for now guys..." Spike said in a nervous voice as he backed away from the door. "That way I can.... a... go for the nurse!" He exclaimed. "You know....? In case anything happens."

Twilight rolled her eyes and shook her head without the dragon seeing it as they walked into the hospital room and allowed the door to shut behind them.

Author's Note:

Whew... Long chapter.