• Published 28th Jul 2013
  • 3,670 Views, 91 Comments

Luck from a Horseshoe - my_little_medic



After saving a young girls life while doing his job. A gift is given to him with a special power that he will soon realize.

  • ...
10
 91
 3,670

The Falling Star

"That's strange... It does look like it's getting closer." Twilight said as she tilted her head while watching the supposed star.

"Look! It's fading!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed.

"Twi, you watch the stars quite a bit don'cha?" Asked Applejack. "Ever seen anything like this?"

"No. Unless maybe it's something that Princess Luna had planned for tonight." Twilight rubbed the bottom of her chin with a hoof. "But Luna has never made anything come so close to the ground before..."

All three of them watched the pink star as it's light came closer and closer. Soon, the light from the falling star completely faded out of existence.

"Well, that was sure something!" Applejack said turning to her two friends. "I've seen shooting stars before, and the occasional falling star. But, it in all the years I been on this farm I ain't never seen nothing like that!"

Rainbow Dash was hovering just above the ground looking at the last place they had seen the star. "I've never even seen a star come that close to Cloudsdale!" Rainbow squinted trying to focus in on the dark sky. "Guys look!!!" Rainbow yelled and pointed to a spot in the dark sky.

The other two ponies focused in on where she was pointing. As they looked off into the dark sky, they could just barely make out the silhouette of a white pegasus flying through the sky.

"Huh... I reckon' he musta seen that weird star and decided to fly out and get a better look." Applejack said watching the silhouette grow closer.

"But, he's not flying.... HE'S FALLING!!" Rainbow Dash said with a panic.

All three of them watched as the white pegasus came closer and closer to the ground.

"Why isn't he trying to slow down or pull up?!" Said Twilight.

"I don't know!" Rainbow Dash answered. "Twilight! Can't you use your magic to catch him or something?!"

Twilight shook her head. "He's too far away."

No one could come up with an answer for why this pegasus was plummeting out of the sky. All three of them looked on as the pegasus came crashing down into the other end of the orchard. They all heard the loud snapping of branches as he crashed into what could only have been an apple tree.

"Oh no! Rainbow! Fly ahead and find exactly where he landed!" Exclaimed Twilight.

"On it!" With that the light blue pegasus was gone in the flash of a prismatic streak.

The other two ponies took off at a dead gallop heading in the direction of where they saw the pegasus land.

"Twi... Do you think he'll be...." Applejack paused. "That was a pretty nasty crash."

"I don't know..." Twilight replied.

Rainbow Dash was flying above the tops of the apple trees. She squinted through the darkness trying to find the spot where the pegasus had crash landed. After a few minutes she stopped, hovering over the trees. "Come on Princess Luna... Where's the moon already...?" She said quietly to herself. She scanned the tree tops and there, off to her right side, was an apple tree that looked like it had been hit by a tornado. "Gotcha!" She exclaimed as she flew over to the tree. "Guys! I found him! He's over this way!"

The other two weren't that far away and were at a dead run following Rainbow Dash's voice. Rainbow flapped her wings down and as she landed on the ground next to the pegasus. The other two ponies were approaching when Rainbow called out. They both ran to her and the fallen pegasus.

"How about a little light there sugarcube?" Applejack said looking at Twilight as they came up alongside Rainbow Dash.

Twilight closed her eyes and her horn began to glow a pale lavender color before bursting into a bright light that lit up the whole area. The three of them blinked, letting their eyes adjust. They all looked down at the crashed pegasus.

"He's breathing! ....I think?" Applejack said as she put her ear down to his side and listened. "Yep, he's breathing!"

"He looks in pretty bad shape..." Twilight stated looking over him with her light.

The white pegasus was laying on his back unconscious. As they surveyed the damage to the young stallion they found that his right foreleg was bent the wrong way with a bone sticking out of the side. The young pegasus' wings were spread out underneath him in a mess of feathers. The left wing appeared to have only lost a few feathers during the crash, but the right wing was twisted and bent into a tangled mess of bone and feather. Those being the most serious injuries that they noticed, the rest were bleeding cuts and gashes here and there, but nothing major.

"We gotta get im' into town to Ponyville Hospital ya'll!" Applejack stated. "Twilight. Do ya reckon you could use yer magic ta carry him into town?"

"Shouldn't be a problem. I'll need one of you to walk ahead of me to lead the way though. I can't use my light spell and move him at the same time." She replied

"Guys..." Rainbow said in a startled voice. "Check this out."

The other two looked back to see what Rainbow was talking about. A wide eyed Rainbow Dash pointed with her hoof at the young stallions flank while looking back at the other two ponies. The other two came around to the stallions side and they all just stared at the pegasus' flank, or more importantly what was missing from the young stallion's flank.

"He..... he has no cutey mark...!" Twilight exclaimed in a slightly panicked voice.

"Well, how old do ya reckon he is?" Applejack asked.

Rainbow Dash looked back at Applejack and shrugged.

"Wait just a gal'dern minute! Rainbow... You saying that you've never seen this here pegasus before?!" Applejack said almost accusingly.

"Don't you think if I did that I would have said something by now?! Plus, a stallion as old as him without a cutie mark would be a pretty hard thing to forget!" She answered.

"Well, that's a good point." Applejack replied looking back at the heap of stallion lying on the ground in front of her.

The trio looked up at the sky as Princess Luna flew high up above them with the full moon in tow. The light of the moon lit up the orchard they were standing in. The trees were all spaced just perfectly to allow the sunlight and moonlight to penetrate through the tops of the trees. The moonlight was almost reflected by the pegasus' bright white fur.

"Come on! We've got to get him into town!" Twilight said. The light emitting from her horn was suddenly gone, and everyone's eyes slowly began to adjust to the darkness and moonlight. Once again, a pale lavender light glowed forth from Twilight's horn and soon the same pale light surrounded the white stallion. Very slowly, the pale light lifted the pegasus off of the ground and then gently rolled him over in mid air so that he was right side up. "Applejack! Lead the way!"

"I'm on it!" The orange pony stated as she took off at a brisk pace towards the farmhouse with the other two following behind her.

As they reached the farmhouse, there was a big red stallion standing in the doorway. It appeared as if he had been standing there for quite some time waiting for Applejack to come back from the day's chores. The red stallion trotted out of the doorway to meet Applejack as he noticed the other two following behind her and a glowing pegasus floating through the air in front of Twilight.

"Umm..." The red stallion said in a baritone voice.

"No time ta explain Big Mac! This feller here crashed down into the South orchard earlier! We're taking him to Ponyville Hospital right away!." Applejack said as she ran by him with the others following.

Big Mac stood there, his eyes wide and a puzzled look on his face. "....Eeyup..." He stated before turning around and going back inside the house.

The trip to Ponyville from Applejack's farm took longer than any of them ever remembered it taking. Most of the buildings in the town were showing dark windows, signifying that most of the town was in bed and sleeping. They ran through town and straight to the front door of the Ponyville Hospital. The hospital was one of the largest buildings in the town. The only light on in the hospital it seemed at this time was the light coming from the front doors of the building. The three of them ran right up to the front doors, which slowly opened as they came near. Once inside the building, there was a pale yellow pony wearing a nurse's hat. She had her deep brown mane tucked into a hairnet underneath. The nurse jumped as the doors of the hospital opened up and the three ponies and their cargo came rushing in.

"What is the meaning of this?!" The nurse exclaimed to them as she readjusted her hat so it was straight on her head again.

"We're not sure what happened ta him! He just crashed in my apple orchard while we were there! Watched him fall right outta the sky! Did a hefty bit a damage to one of my apple trees in the crash and he looks to be hurt pretty bad!" Applejack told the nurse.

The nurse looked over the hovering stallion noticing the injuries. "Oh my!" The nurse stated in a concerned voice. "Set him down over there on those pillows for now while I get the doctor!" The nurse motioned towards a row of pillow-cushioned benches that surrounded the hospital lobby's walls before taking off at a quick trot down a hallway.

Twilight trotted over to the benches and slowly started to carefully set the stallion down on the benches. Twilight slowly rotated him onto his left side while Applejack and Rainbow Dash came over and helped position the stallion onto the pillows so he wouldn't be laying on his injured foreleg. The magical lavender aura around him slowly dissolved away and he was left laying there in front of the three ponies. If it wasn't for the sound of his breathing, you'd have thought that he was dead.