• Published 28th Jul 2013
  • 22,148 Views, 166 Comments

Flash and Twilight, Sittin' in a Tree... - meme-asaurus



Flash Sentry moves in with Twilight Sparkle. Neither are quite happy about it.

  • ...
53
 166
 22,148

Seriously, he’s Not. So, Stop Asking me About it!

One incredibly long explanation later... (Seriously, if you haven’t seen Equestria Girls by now, you’re pretty much in the dark. If your country hasn’t released it yet, stay strong!)

“...And that’s when I jumped back into the statue-portal,” finished Twilight Sparkle.

“That’s it?” said Flash Sentry. “You haven’t heard of... the other me since?”

“Nope.”

Flash hung his head as processed this dump of new information. The two ponies were sitting on Twilight’s bed. Flash shifted his weight, the alicorn princess sitting right next to him. Somehow, Flash Sentry imagined the bedroom of a princess to be a bit more glamorous than the cluttered mess of notebooks and bedsheets that surrounded him. Then again, he was also in a library.

A few paces away, Spike sat on his own bed, watching intently. He had been invited to Twilight’s small debriefing of her travels of another world, since Twilight herself reasoned that he should participate. After all, Spike spent time in the freaky-monkey-universe as well, so why shouldn’t he provide additional input? As such, Spike provided commentary to Twilight’s little story, filling in missing details that she missed or forgot. But inevitably, Spike’s commentary got a bit too snarky at various points and even bordered on the point of interruption and derailment, much to the annoyance of Twilight Sparkle.

Like this little snippet of dialogue, for instance:

“So... are you two going to hook up now?” asked Spike curiously after Twilight’s long-winded explanation.

“WHAT?!” said Twilight and Flash almost at the same time. “NO!!! I HARDLY KNOW HIM/HER!!!” Noticing that they were shouting in sync, our little ponies clear their throats and regained their posture in order to stop performing one of the worst sitcom cliches in television. They wanted to be taken seriously, after all.

“...I mean, it would be unprofessional, dating one of my bodyguards,” coughed Twilight.

“Yeah, that’s for sure,” agreed Flash. “Totally against Royal Guard policy. Big no-no.”

“Hey, I was just wondering,” Spike defended. “Don’t be so touchy.”

“Spike, just... just leave,” Twilight grimaced, rubbing her temples. “Go take the day off or something. Flash and I need some time alone to sort this out.”

“Fine, I’m leaving,” huffed the baby dragon. And he did.

Note to self: Give Spike a talk about avoiding delicate topics, Twilight thought. Honestly, who goes around asking blatant, obnoxious questions like that?? I raised him better!

“So, that Spike’s quite a character, huh?” said Flash Sentry with a painfully awkward grin. It was obvious that he was trying to drive the conversation to a less troublesome subject.

“Yeah, he can be a doofus sometimes,” the princess sighed, “but he’s worth it in the end.”

“I can tell,” Flash replied. “In fact, you just told me about a time he pulled through for you. You know, the thing in the other universe? Where he convinced you to reveal yourself to your monkey-friends?”

“Yeah,” murmured Twilight, smiling at the memory. “He just told me to be myself, and things worked out. He’s smart like that.”

“What exactly is Spike to you, anyway?” wondered the stallion. “Is he your adopted brother or something?”

“The correct term is ‘number one assistant’,” insisted Twilight. “I hatched his egg when I got my cutie mark, and Celestia let me keep him.”

“So... you’re his mom?”

“Yep, that’s pretty much it.”

“You became a mom... when you got your cutie mark? Like, back when you were a kid?”

“Well, Spike kind of stayed at Celestia’s palace for the first few years or so,” Twilight confessed. “I guess you could say that she took care of most of the responsibility back then.”

“Ah, I see.”

Silence.

“Sooooo... this begs the question:” said Twilight, facing Flash Sentry, “What do I mean to you?

“What?!”

“I think you heard me quite clearly,” she said. “What. Do. I. Mean. To. You? You’ve heard everything. You know my big secret now. I’ve completely opened up to you about the freaky-overdressed-monkey universe, and you’ve said nothing in return! C’mon, give me SOMETHING!”

“Um...”

“Flash, I need to know! I really need to know!”

“Well, I don’t know, okay? I DON’T KNOW!”

Silence.

“Sorry,” said Twilight with a deep breath. “I might still be freaking out about this.”

“It’s okay, I shouldn't have left you hanging, Princess.”

“Please, it’s okay. Call me Twilight.”

“Right. Anyway Twilight, I’m sorry about not saying anything. It’s just... well... there’s no right thing to say, really.”

“No right thing to say?”

“I mean, there isn’t any real proper emotion for this situation, since it never happened to anypony before. I just don’t know what to think. And if I don’t know what to THINK, I don’t know what to DO. And that... really scares me, Twilight. Know what I mean?”

“...”

“Twilight?”

“I think I know exactly what you mean, Flash Sentry.” said Twilight. “And you know what? I’m glad I’m stuck with you.”

“You are?”

“Yes, yes I am,” she smiled. “I’m glad I’m stuck with you as opposed to some stranger that I don’t know the name of. I might not be in love with you Flash, but you’re a great guy. Really, you are! In fact, you kind of remind me of my brother in some ways. You don’t take your job as seriously as the other guards, but instead have this free spirit that seems... human.”

“Human?”

“It’s a term back in the freaky-monkey-universe,” she explained. “It means normal. Mortal. Flawed. Imperfect. Relatable.”

“Oh.”

“My point is, we can get past this. We can handle this. We’re both mature, responsible adults! How bad can living together be?”

“Yeah!” cheered Flash enthusiastically. “What could possibly go wrong?”

Author's Note:

I really wanted to make this chapter longer. I really did.
But I also wanted to end it on a high note, and this little moment between our two lovebirds was too good to pass up. Rest assured, this story’s far from over.