• Published 28th Jul 2013
  • 34,437 Views, 502 Comments

The Assassination of Twilight Sparkle - Rated Ponystar



Twilight is killed and Celestia tries to recover from the loss

  • ...
78
 502
 34,437

Acceptance

The Assassination of Twilight Sparkle

By The Rated Ponystar

Edited by: Clavier and Unnamed Pawn

Art done by: Viofriedsebe

***

Celestia sighed and started to make her way back towards the castle, tired and overwhelmed. She had a big day tomorrow and she needed her rest. Making her way out of the garden’s entrance, she saw somepony walking around. It was a guard. At first she assumed he was simply doing the usual round but upon closer inspection she nearly gasped.

It was Gladius Stride again, nervously looking around for somepony, whom Celestia suspected was herself. Remembering how she treated him the last time they had met, Celestia felt ashamed for her actions. She knew that it was wrong to blame him for his brother’s actions against Twilight, especially when it was proven that the families knew nothing of the assassination.

Taking a deep breath, she walked forward until she was behind Gladius and coughed into her hoof. Gladius jumped and turned around with a shaky salute. “Y-your majesty! I-I was ordered to f-f-find you… and…I-I-I understand if you want me to leave. I… I…”

Celestia raised her hoof which silenced the nervous guard. “Gladius Stride, you may relax. I will not raise my voice, but rather… I must ask for your forgiveness.”

Gladius blinked before tilting his head. “M-my forgiveness?”

“Yes,” said Celestia, “My attitude towards you earlier was… unjust. I should not have judged you simply because your brother was one of the assassins. For this, I truly am sorry.”

To his shock, Celestia bowed to him and kept her gaze on his hooves in humbleness. She could tell from the movement in his hooves that this was the last thing Stride had expected and she didn’t blame him for his surprise. She rarely ever bowed to anypony, in fact the last time she did so was when Twilight became an alicorn.

Leaning down, Gladius looked her straight in the eye. “Please get up, Princess Celestia. You shouldn’t need to bow to me. I accept your apology, and I understand your previous behavior. Princess Twilight, may she rest in peace, was very close to you and we all know how much you loved her.” He sighed and stood straight up. “Besides… I am used to being yelled at from others.”

This got Celestia’s attention as she stood up as well and raised her eyebrow. “Have you been mistreated by others in the castle because of the actions of your brother?” Avoiding her questioning gaze, Gladius shifted a bit, which only made Celestia more suspicious. “Please answer me, Gladius. I wish to know if any of my little ponies are being mistreated. Especially those in my service here in my home.”

“… a few of the guards, including the higher command, have made it clear they don’t like me,” confessed Gladius, shaking his head with a sorrowful and hurt expression. “They call me the ‘Traitor’s brother’ when they think I’m not looking and always blame me for the smallest of problems. From a paper being lost or even a broken pipe in the waterworks, then yell at me and tell me to correct the mistake. I’m always getting fewer servings at mess and tripped in the halls. And anytime I try to accuse somepony of harassing me, I’m told to just shut up and get back to work.” He looked at her with some tears in his eyes. “It’s not fair. I know my brother did something horrible, but I don’t want to be punished for it!”

“Why didn’t you just come to me? I could have helped you,” declared Celestia, who was planning to ask a few guards some intimidating questions on their performance.

“Because I was afraid you would hate me because of what my brother did,” answered Gladius, who shut his eyes and looked at the ground in shame.

Celestia moved closer and blanketed the guard with her wing. Nuzzling him, she whispered, “I’m sorry. I know this hasn’t been easy on you and your family…”

“My family?!” snorted Gladius. “My family refuses to even acknowledge my brother existed! They burned all his pictures except for one I have back in my apartment! They refuse to say his name and never went to his funeral! I was the only one there when he was buried! How can they just forget everything he did for us?! He was doing what he thought was right, granted it was wrong, but still he was my brother!”

Celestia who looked at Gladius and, remembering the unwavering look on his face during the trial and execution, asked, “What were Gallant Heart’s final words?”

Sniffing, Gladius rubbed his eyes and said, “When you allowed them to talk to their loved ones one last time, I was the only one to visit him. He knew what he had done was dishonorable, but he fully believed Princess Twilight was a threat. He feared because of her power and the rumors of her unstable state of mind that she would cause more harm than good. He knew how much you loved her and trusted her, but if hurting you was the only way to keep you safe, then he was willing to do so. I tried to get him to admit his fault, but he stubbornly refused. I just couldn’t believe it, but he was still my brother... I still love him, even now.” He raised his head and looked at Princess Celestia. “Princess, I know he did wrong, but if you can ever find it in your heart to forgive him... please?”

In the dark night sky, under the full moon, Celestia held her breath as she saw the anticipating look on her subject’s face. It was like looking at a fragile, glass of hope that could break into pieces with less than a single touch. She knew what the right thing to do was… but she couldn’t do it. Closing her eyes, she slowly shook her head and could already feel the despair emanating from Gladius.

“I’m sorry, Gladius,” answered Celestia. “I cannot forgive him, nor any of the other ponies involved in the death of Twilight Sparkle.” She opened her eyes. “At least, I cannot right now. Maybe someday I will find it in my heart to forgive Gallant, Blueblood, and the rest, but it may take a long time before I am able to do so.”

Although it was not the response she was sure he wanted to hear, not all of the hope he held on his face seemed to fade away. Nodding, Gladius said, “I understand. I guess that is the best I can hope for…”

“There is something I can do for you, however,” said Celestia with a small smile. She promised to Twilight she would work on forgiving and trusting her subjects again, and the idea in her mind was a good start. “I would like you to join my personal guard. You will accompany me all day and protect me from any danger that should come before me.”

The look on his face was enough to make Celestia give out a small giggle. Gladius straightened himself and saluted. “Ma’am, I would be honored to be your personal guard, ma’am!”

“At ease, soldier,” said Celestia with a wide smile. “I need to learn to trust my subjects again, and this will help prove to others that I trust you and that they can trust you as well. It will work out for both of us.”

“Princess…” said Gladius, bowing. “Thank you.”

“It is alright. Now I feel I must get to bed. I have a lot to do tomorrow,” said Celestia, stretching her wings and lifting herself up in the air. “Take a good night’s rest, Gladius Stride. Tomorrow I must attend Day Court and announce my re-entry into politics while reassuring my subjects I am well. And later, we shall travel to Ponyville to visit some old friends.”

Gladius Stride saluted. “As you command, Princess Celestia. And may you have a good night’s rest.”

She bid her new protector goodnight and flew towards her balcony nearby, enjoying the feeling of flight that she had ignored for four months. She landed back in her room and sighed. It’s been quite an evening… and such nights will continue for years to come…

She walked over towards her dresser. Sitting atop it was a picture of Twilight, back when she was a filly, made her smile. But I know you’re looking down on me, Twilight. I’ll do my best to return to the ruler that I was. All I ask is that you are there by my side in spirit, my beloved student.

With a loud yawn, Princess Celestia lazily took off her regalia and tucked herself into her bed. A smile adorned her face as she felt sleep slowly overcome her and she began to have the first good dream in months…

***

“And this is your room,” said Princess Celestia as she opened the door, revealing the biggest room that the young filly unicorn had ever seen in her life. Twilight Sparkle rushed inside, levitating the Starswirl book her new teacher had let her keep from the library right behind her. She checked out every bit of the room from her bed to the fireplace. Such a sight made Celestia’s heart flutter. She’s so cute.

“This… this is really all mine?” asked Twilight with hopeful eyes.

“Yes, and if there is anything you need just call for me or one of the servants of the castle,” said Celestia. To her surprise, the young unicorn rushed towards her larger leg and hugged it.

“Oh thank you thank you thank you!” cried out Twilight. “I promise to be the best student you ever had! I’ll work hard to make you proud and never give up! I promise!”

Celestia smiled and nuzzled her newest student. She’s gonna be something else. I can feel it.

“Twilight? Do you want to read that book you have with me? It’s been sometime since I read it and I would very much like to read it with you.”

“Of course!” said Twilight, sitting down next to the fireplace. Princess Celestia sat down beside her.

They opened the book up and began to read it together. All throughout the night…

Author's Note:

Finished. The ending might not be what some people were expecting, but remember, this was originally suppose to be a one shot. I might write a sequel in the future that deals with the Mane 6 and Spike on their efforts to overcome Twilight's death, but we'll see.

Comments ( 212 )

Fantastic work. I really hope you write that sequel. If you do, can you link to it in a new chapter here so I won't miss it?

This was a great story, really enjoyed it and I wouldn't mind seeing that sequel either. Great job.:twilightsmile:

Call me crazy, but I think that this universe has enough closure where it is. I don't think a sequel is necessary, but I would read it if you wrote one.

Nice ending. Was very, VERY good.

~Skeeter The Lurker

The feels...:fluttercry:

yeah :fluttershysad::ajsleepy::pinkiesad2::rainbowderp::raritycry: from their perspective!

Very, very, VERY beautiful story.....and very sad too......I'm nearly crying right now:applecry:

What! It's over! This just makes me want to scream! *gasps in lots of air* WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGHHH!!!!!!!!!:flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage: But nice story anyway uhh. The feelings.:pinkiesad2::heart::fluttercry:

Good ending to a wonderful fic. :raritydespair:

Excellently written. Too bad my heart petrified about six months ago.

It was a very heartfelt story, for certain. :ajsmug:

I think it ended perfectly.
Thank you for this story. It was moving.

The idea of a spike sequel, ow is all that comes to mind. This whole story, it was gorgeous. I am kinda sad to see it end.

Took the time to actually read all of it instead of skim. It's nicely written and deeply moving, a sequel involving her five friends, Spike, her family and maybe even old enemies like Trixie, would be a good touch.

For a premise that I was conflicted about, it was well written and the ending makes for a good ending to a moving story.

This, I believe, fits this chapter well.

Good ending. You tied it up nicely. Poor Celestia, but she's able to move on now. :fluttercry:

I'd like to read that sequel, but take your time with it. You did a great job here.

At least that bastard Gallant is suffering in Tartarus where he belongs. I can take comfort that he'll suffer for eternity for his crimes. But I am completely pissed that he's fully convinced he did the right thing even to the fucking end. (Pardon my language.) But like I said, at least he's suffering for eternity now so at least there's that.


By the way, since Twilight is dead, wouldn't this story qualify as an AU?

I can at least take comfort in the fact that while Twilight is dead in this fic, it's non-canon and that she's still very much alive in canon and the stories of others.

3010517
When you really think about it, all fanfictions are AU. The reason I didn't put an AU in this fic is because I believe AU's are when stories start during the Canon parts (or before them) and then go in the direction that changes them. If it happens after I don't call it cannon, but I won't call it AU since we don't know the original path. But that's just me

3010797 That's one way to look at it.

But like I said, at least Twilight still lives in other stories and Gallant is burning in Tartarus in yours.

I've loved this story from beginning to end. The end is great, LOVE IT!

wouldn't that be more a side story if it is in the same period as the events in the story?:unsuresweetie:

3013880
Actually, they take place in different times, the sequel. Each story takes place after the funeral, but before this story

3013914 then it would be a prequel since it is happening before the story.:twilightsmile:

Mane 5 you mean
Unless you do something with Twilight in the after life

Cue the clapping.
Even though it's been a month since you finished

Good fic. I hunger for more of them. As for this story, my advice would be to let it stay a one-shot. It would be difficult to create greater feels than these. But that's just my opinion.

This is one of the few stories that have truly made me cry :pinkiesad2:

At least Gallant, unlike Blueblood, had some redeeming qualities. Blueblood was petty and jealous, whereas Gallant was an example of the old maxim 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions.' Sure, murdering an unarmed sleeping pony in their bed is horrible-- But if you were convinced that someone was the next Stalin, Mussolini, or Hitler, would you feel it was justified?

I hope you don't mind if I might make a story based off this. It would be a 2nd person story involving time travel. It might end up very stupid, but I keep thinking about this idea as I read the story, which is very sad and amazing, by the way. :twilightsmile:

3049512
May I know of this idea?

3050203 If you mean how the story plays out, sure. I could PM the idea to you so people don't end up taking my idea (how the story goes). :trollestia:

I must say this was quite a heavy story and I haven't read any sad stories in eons so I was pretty surprised of the quality of this story. :pinkiehappy:

I think the ending was fitting and I don't believe a sequel would do anything good to this story.

The feels...they have killed me. Now I must cry in the corner. Good night.

shed not a tear for the loss of a loved one, but make a smile for the impact they made on your lives.:pinkiesad2:

I wonder which of the main six bar twilight of course would turn to alcohol to cope. I would guess rainbow or applejack

3163173 most likely applejack.

Great story mate.
I'd really encourage you to write that sequel, I'd love to hear about Twilight's friends reactions.

Sad but bittersweet in the end. Things have to move on, no matter how grievous the wound. Celestia owes it to Twilight to live and make her vision of the future come true.

Maybe, one day, Celestia will be able to remember Twilight without tears of pain and grief. Until then, like so many others, she must simply endure.

What exactly did all the ponies say about Twilight?

3324885
Most of her haters didn't either like her policies because she wanted to cause change to Equestria which has, more or less, followed the same policies for a thousand years, or feared her because she was very powerful and they feared she might use her fame and power to overthrown Celestia and Luna

3325069 I see. Hm.

Well, this might be because I'm a horrible person, but were I in Celestia's place, I would have taxed their flanks off as a meager, petty form of revenge.

Then punch them and mock them about their lack of hands.

As I said before, I'm a horrible person.

I found this while browsing TVTropes and I guess was sucked into reading it. Good God the emotions shown... you gave us tragedy without blood, emotions raw and believable, you brought me to tears at the sorrow she felt. I am still unsure as to what I should feel to the assassins; hate for killing Twilight, pity for they felt it what was right...

Concordia Invicta
Celestia's Paladin

Also I have to ask... was this done in response the hate Twilight got from the fandom because of her ascension?

This is just....ugghh I think I need to clear my eyes again. I...I. I don't know what to say. Just...stunning...

3338512
I was guessing as much, All the hate that popped up even before the episode aired... you did good on this

That was both amazing and heartbreaking, excellently written story.

Great read!

Login or register to comment