• Published 29th Jul 2013
  • 1,708 Views, 34 Comments

The Land Before Them - Fat1thatyoulove



The new land of Equestria has been founded, but real peace still lays just out of hoof's reach for the ponies that inhabit this new world. But the great King Sombra is looking to change that through the use of the Crystal Empire's examples.

  • ...
1
 34
 1,708

Chapter 4

Chapter 4 - Tomorrow's past

The dining hall of the crystal empire has a gold shimmer to it as the newly rising morning sun starts to pass through it, the room is empty except for the one pony sitting towards the end of the table.

After last nights endeavors I have awoken with a slight headache, which is very uncommon for me even after a rigorous spell. But I have since assumed myself I was just hungry...

"Good morning to you Mage Star Swirl."

The slightly higher pitch of the feminine voice stabs a little to Swirl's ear as he quickly moves his head from the book to the white mare with pink mane trotting into the dining hall quickly being followed by a few guards.

But before the stallion's voice can come up again the mare has started to take her seat as she gives a faint smile, "I am most terribly sorry if I have disturbed your work Mage Star Swirl."

The stallion closes the book as he shakes his head, "Nonsense Princess, I can not remember a time you have disturbed my work." From his words a smile is easily played across his face.

Platinum nods her head as she wiggles her hoof to a few ponies that followed her in, "General Stomping, I require the cooks please."

An older looking stallion dressed in a silver and purple armour nods his head as he holds his half closed eyed gaze to the mare, "Yes Princess." But the stallion doesn't move as he turns to the two other ponies beside him that quickly move out the door.

"So tell us Mage Star Swirl, where is this Crystal Heart? I have yet to see or feel its presence? When will I-..."

Platinum's voice is cut off as a deep echoing voice comes into the room behind her, "You will not be seeing it."

The grey stallion holds his gaze to the white mare as he stood in the doorway of the dining hall.

But to his words Princess Platinum turns herself around to face him as she talks, "Not to be seeing it?" A slight laugh comes from her as she talks, "But King Sombra surely you wish to unveil it to the other two leaders today, do you not?"

Sombra blinks to the comment as he shakes his head, "No, I find no need for the Crystal heat in today's meeting."

Princess Platinum squints to the comment a little confused but she changes her comment as she talks, "Well I must say I am a little confused, but I will bow to your judgement." She floats her crown from her mane as she moves her hoof to a chair across from her, "Are you to be joining us for breakfast?"

The grey stallion shakes his head as he talks, "No, i'm afraid I have muc-..." The deep echoey voice is halted as a pink pegasus mare takes a step to his side, her smile is put to Princess Platinum as the mare speaks up, "King Sombra and I will of course be joining you."

Queen Apatite doesn't wait for the taller grey stallion to follow her into the room as she takes her first steps inside, but Sombra's eyes pin to her as his horn glows a faint green and the chair she's walking to becomes pulled out.

Swirl holds his gaze to the mare as she takes her seat to his side of the table, Sombra follows suit after her as he moves to her far side.

A faint laugh fills the room from Platinum as she looks to the empty seats around her, "I must say I do feel a bit lonely on my ponyless side."

Queen Apatite gives a friendly laugh to the comment as her sweet voice rolls through the room, her expression looks better today but even through her regular tone a slight bit of tiredness comes through, "Princess Platinum, it would be to hard to speak with you if every word must be turned to be heard."

Platinum squints to the comment as she cocks her head, "Yes of course." A question starts to burn in the white mare as she looks to the pegasus mare, "Forgive me for asking, but I have wondered how a pegasus of your..." The white mare pauses for a word as she pushes through her statement, "...Elegance, comes to live in the unicorn capital?"

Swirl turns his head to the mare as he listens a little worried to the mare's shifty words.

But her comment has no affect on Queen Apatite as she smiles, "You mean to ask why a pegasus is Queen of a unicorn province, do you not?"

Platinum gives a respectful nod as she answer, "I mean no disrespect."

The pink mare shakes her hoof as she talks, "There is never disrespect in a question you ask for an answer, there can only be disrespect with a question you ask but know the answer to already."

A laugh comes from Princess Platinum as she averts her eyes from the mare, "You sound like Mage Star Swirl."

The grey stallion gives a faint laugh as Queen Apatite continues to speak, "If I do then perhaps you should listen to him. But your answer, yes its true I am a pegasus , and yes its true I am from the pegasus capital before it was moved to Equestria." A smile crosses her face as she talks, "However not all pegasus want to stay in the clouds forever, some want to learn of the strange earth bound ponies." A slight laugh comes from the mare as she gives a little emphases on strange.

Princess Platinum nods her head as Queen Apatite's words trail on, "Sombra and I both share the idea of Equestria no longer bound to the rules of the old land an-..."

The white mare's ear flicks a little to the comment as she blurts out her own, "Yes of course, When I founded this land I had no problem immediately moving for a peace treaty between the other two."

Queen Apatite's voice doesn't come back to her as Sombra's echoey tone chimes past hers, "Yes Princess Platinum, you have helped establish an aura of peace...But A peace bound by rules and ideas of old, we seek to have true harmony among the land."

Platinum cocks her head a little to the words as she loses her smile and tries to take in the comment, "You wish to unite the ponies of Equestria?" A slight laugh escapes her as she leans forward a little, "B-But how would the land be ruled? How would anything be done?" Platinum's eyes squint to her rush of questions as she continues, "Where would a power such as the Crystal Heart go? Surely not-..."

Platinum's voice is cut off as Queen Apatite stands from the table with a blank expression. Sombra's eyes dart to the mare as she starts to trot away from the table silently.

But Sombra follows her stand as his voice echoes to her, "Where are you going?"

Queen Apatite doesn't turn her head as her voice comes to her, "I need to plan for the-..." Her voice is cut off as she falls over to her side with a hard thud.

Sombra's eyes go wide and his horn's glow is lost as his mouth opens with a very weak and low wheezing voice, "Apatite!"

General Stomping moves from his spot at the wall towards the mare but before he can reach her, Sombra and Apatite disappear from the room in a loud chiming pop from a teleportation spell.

Platinum holds a shocked expression to the scene that just unfolded as she turns to Star Swirl who now starts to rush from his seat with his few items floating next to him, "What happened?!"

Swirl waves his hoof to the mare as he talks, "There is no need for concern, they will return shortly." The grey stallion moves from the room as he starts into the hallways of the crystal castle.

End of chapter 4