• Published 27th Jul 2013
  • 1,902 Views, 73 Comments

Why Can't We Find Home? - Tyc oon



Scatter's had enough of the enigmatic resolve; he's done hiding who he is. After being repeatedly asked on dates by various mares, the façade crumbles when he brutally tells off the most popular mare at his highschool.

  • ...
7
 73
 1,902

Chapter 6 – The Grass is Getting Greener Each Day

I slid the key into the doorknob gracelessly, twisting to unlock the door.

…and found that it wasn’t locked.

With passive-aggressive alarm, I glanced to Soarin’ who was a few paces behind me, and gulped; there was no way this could have a good outcome. I slid the key back into the mailbox’s compartment and raised a cautious hoof to the door, clopping it a few times before I opened it and went in.

“Oh, hi Scatter.” A familiar face accompanied by a feminine voice greeted me warmly.

My parents were home a day early?

of course they were.

“Hey guys!” I smiled back. “You’re home early?”

My dad trotted into the living room too; he was wearing a light green apron that matched my mom’s coat, and it contrasted oddly with his own mahogany coat. A spatula rested in his hoof.

“Oh, who’s your friend?” He asked politely. “I’m not sure I cooked enough for four.”

I shut the door behind us with a hoof, my smile no longer forced.

“Dad, you usually overdo it and cook enough for twenty.” I stated, glancing at the light blue stallion behind me once again. “Anyway, welcome back. This, here, is Soarin’.”

Thinking a moment, I wondered what to do. I had planned to cook for Soarin’ and possibly go out with him somewhere after that, but this certainly changed things. Given the opportunity, it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to introduce him to my family as my coltfriend. …right?

“Soarin’, meet my parents: Jack Rain and Summer Day.”

With agility unlike any other unicorn I’d ever seen before, my dad rushed up in front of Soarin’ and grabbed a hoof, shaking it riotously. I rolled my eyes at the incredibly one-sided hoofshake at about the same time my mom did.

“Jack Rain!” He shouted, wearing a million bit smile. “Top chef ‘round these parts!”

Soarin’ smiled back, his expression a pleasant mixture of chagrin and joy. He seemed almost genuinely interested in the art of cuisine, but not enough to deliberately query about it further. Although my Dad was in the restaurant business, he could certainly cook incredibly himself.

“Nice to meet you sir.” Soarin’ said formally, his hoof still shaking even after dad stopped.

His eyes met with my mother’s, and they both smiled kindly, sharing a mutual nod of polite recognition. I could tell by intuition that they were going to get along well too.

…Aside from that, the dichotomy between the two methods of greeting was phenomenal.

“C’mere Scatter, help me cook up some more grub so your buddy’s got enough to eat too.”

Soarin’ took a seat on the plush couch next to me as I stood up and began trotting towards the kitchen entrance. My mother sat down on the couch perpendicular to Soarin’, still smiling.

“So, Soarin’ was it?” She asked quizzically. “Pegasi don’t come down here too often to hang around for a while. How’d you end up meeting Scatter?”

I didn’t get the chance to hear Soarin’s reply lucidly, continuing into the kitchen. My intuitions were probably right; my mother was a hardcore conversationalist, and they’d be friends in no time. My only fear was that they may accidentally step close to the subject of our relationship, and that would be better confessed together with Soarin’ after supper.

“TOOOOODAAAAAYYYYY!~” My dad rang out theatrically, boasting and making sure that Soarin’ would be able to hear. “We’re serving Salisbury Melba salad alongside gourmet lobster stroganoff and a side of Pont-l'Évêque diced to .95 degree cubic centimetres!”

I dropped my face into the palm of my hoof while simultaneously rolling my eyes.

…Soarin’, damn him, had it way too easy.

*** *** ***

Dinner was, as usual, totally delicious. Dad never failed to live up to his reputation, and it was no wonder whatsoever how he managed command multiple restaurants effortlessly.

“Thanks a lot for the meal!” Soarin’ rewarded graciously, smiling. “You sure can cook, Mr. Rain.”

Dad opted to elbow me gently. “Scatter helped too.” He replied, winking.

The pegasus looked to me curiously, his wings moving ever so slightly while huddled against his coat as if he had flexed them.

“Did he now?” Soarin’ asked slyly, smirking.

I tried desperately to hold in the blush, but to no avail.

“Well…” I said, trying to make it seem like I was blushing from the flattery rather than the subtly romantic gesture of his wings. “You’re welcome.”

Presumably, now was as good a time as any to tell my parents the truth about what was between Soarin’ and I…

I was about to act when I was halted by the sight of dad telekinetically grabbing the empty plates from around the table, trotting off to the kitchen. Mom looked to us pleasantly.

“You two go wash up, okay?”

We got up obediently and simultaneously, trotting calmly towards the washroom side by side.

...Several moments later, Soarin’ and I had finished washing our hooves, and were beginning to trot back.

“Soarin’...” I said, stopping him. “Should we tell them now about… what’s between us?”

He looked back at me pessimistically, grimacing. “I’ve had a bad experience with confessions like that, Scatter, but I think your mom will be fine with it; it’s your dad I’m worried about though, unless you know him a lot better than I perceive.”

I tried to smile hopefully. “I think it’ll be all right. Let’s go for it.”

I didn’t want to hide it from them, or the façade might crumble at a time we were unprepared for. Admitting it now while we had the opportunity was, emotionally speaking, the smarter course of action. After all, they’re my parents, and they’ve told me multiple times that they’ll love and support me no matter what I did. I had to at least uphold that level of honesty with them.

There’s probably nothing to worry about anyway; what’s the worst that could happen?

Soarin’ and I entered into the living room almost nervously and we sat beside each other, although I was feeling particularly apprehensive about what we were going to do.

“Hey… Mom? Dad? Can you two come out here for a moment?” I swallowed, calling them.

Dad was the first in the room, clopping his hooves together as if to clean them off, although he had been using his telekinetic magic for everything involving the cooking anyway. Mom followed behind, keeping a more ladylike pace and smiling at the sight of us sitting cosily together on the couch.

They took up the couch across from us, both smiling warmly.

“Listen.” I said, looking at them nervously. “We’ve got something important to tell you two.”

Dad perked an eyebrow, and mom continued to look at us stagnantly.

Soarin’ moved to drape a close wing over my back, glancing at me. This was the moment of truth, and it could either go very well or very incredibly awfully horribly terribly bad… but I needed to remain optimistic nonetheless. Besides, they said they’d love me no matter what. …right?

“You see…” I said, returning the glance to the pegasus. “Soarin’ and I are…”

“...More than just friends.” Soarin’ finished for me supportively.

My mother’s face seemed to change slightly, deciding to add only a hint of genteel surprise. On the other hoof… my father’s jaw dropped open and hit the floor.

“On the way home from school two days ago, I was attacked by some ponies. Soarin’ happened to be in the area, and flew to my aid; ever since then, we sort of got together… as a couple.”

True to Soarin’s predictions, my mother nodded respectfully, smiling again. She seemed to be perfectly at ease with the idea of us dating.

I drooped my head, sighing in total and intense relief, and releasing a breath that I didn’t know I was holding. Unfortunately, that relief had been short lived.

With scorching rage, my father stood up.

“WHAT?!”

Author's Note:

The name “Jack Rain” belongs to: http://www.fimfiction.net/user/8loodyrain
The name “Summer Day” belongs to: http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Scarecrowbrad

Both names used with offered permission. Thanks!