• Published 4th Nov 2014
  • 5,772 Views, 340 Comments

He Who Wields The Lightning - Onomonopia

  • ...
19
 340
 5,772

Repayment

Teth snarled at Sunnysmiles for the fifth time in less than an hour as the little filly tried to get him to play with her. 'Left here while Celestia and the other annoyance go to find another mouth that will bother me to no end.' His eyes warily looked around at all of the ponies that gawked at the two as they walked down the Canterlot streets, Adam glaring at all who tried to make eye contact with him.

"Teth, stop scaring the ponies. And try to smile for once, you're always frowning!" Sunny said as she hopped along in front of him, waving to all of the ponies. Teth sneered in reply as he felt his hand grip the hilt of the changeling blade a little tighter.

'Any of these ponies could be one of those insects in disguise and yet you continue to treat them as if you trust them all,' Teth thought to himself as he had to pull her away from a group of other fillies. 'There is a war going on and you are the daughter of the ruler of this land. You should carry yourself as such.'

"You are this worlds biggest killjoy, you know that?" Sunnysmile frowned at him when he stopped her from going into a store, Teth giving her a cold glare in response. "Come on, loosen up, have some fun!" Instead of having fun, Adam turned his head to look back at the castle, a little curious about how the disciple process was going. He knew that if he were to choose someone to be a worth successor to him that was blood related, they'd have to be strong, courageous and willing to do anything to protect the people.

'But since this is Celestia she'll probably choose her disciple based on whether or not they have a magic cutie mark,' Teth said with a scowl, hating that term. He hated a lot of the ponies words and how they described things. Cutie marks, magic of friendship and that damned annoying anypony.

"Come on Teth, how about we get something to eat?" Sunnysmiles asked, snapping Teth out of his thoughts as he looked down at her. "Even humans that can't smile need to eat and besides, Celestia that I have something called a tab that pretty much let's me get anything I want and then she pays for it. Come on, my treat!" She shot off before he could stop her and for a moment he was tempted to let her go, but it would not benefit him in the long run if she was injured or killed.

'Think of your revenge, think of what they took from you,' Teth thought as he closed his eyes. 'Think of why you are suffering through this indignity.' The ponies bowing to him as he entered the establishment that Sunny had run into gave him some satisfaction, but when she waved him over to a table in the center of the room he took on his stoic demeanor.

"Do you want me to order you something?" she asked once the waiter walked over. Adam was disgusted by most of the food he saw and pointed at the water. "Okay, he wants the hay fried and the coco mountain!" The waiter scurried off at the look Adam gave both him and Sunny. "Aw, don't be that way. You need to eat!"

'Shazam. Shazam. SHAZAM!' The waiter returned (smartly brining Teth the water he had pointed to as well as what Sunny had ordered) before running off again, leaving the two to their meal.

"Really? Not going to even try it?" Sunnysmiles asked as he simply drank his water in silence, scowling every time she offered him some food. "You're a sourpuss. You can't be so dark and mean all the time, it doesn't do anyopony any favors. Mom told me that there's a reason you act like this but you could still try to be a little brighter." She pouted as he ignored her before stuffing her face with fries, frowning at Teth when he had finished drinking and raised an eyebrow at her with a smirk that told her off.

"Y'know, I've been orphaned since as far back as I can remember and yet I manage to be kind and nice to others," she said with some heat, her kind demeanor breaking down in front of Teth's flippancy. "Yes there's still pain, but even though I hurt I decided that the world could use some more smiles and laughter." Teth's face showed that he wasn't impressed and Sunny's frown grew longer. "Geez, I'd be surprised if you had an friends the way you act, let alone a family."

Ponies around them stopped eating and talking as they slowly felt the air in the room change. Sunny felt it too and she looked up from her food at Teth, who remained motionless in his chair. But despite his face showing no signs of emotion, there was a fire in his eyes. He slowly moved to stand up but at that moment the entire building began to shake, throwing ponies and utensils everywhere. On instinct Teth tackled himself and Sunny to the floor until the room had stopped shaking.

"Come on!" she yelled as she broke free of his grasp and raced outside, Adam wording a silent curse as he ran out after her. He was about to grab her by the back of her neck and drag her up to the castle when he was stopped dead by what he saw in the sky, just like all of the other ponies around him.

"A sonic rainboom! Holy Celstia, it's an actual sonic rainboom! Oh come on, you don't know what that is?" she asked Teth in disbelief when he looked down from the rainbow colored circle in the sky. "It's when a pony goes so fast that they break the sound barrier and create a massive explosion! But nopony has done it in so long!" Teth looked from her up to the fading sonic boom, wanting to scoff at her words but the proof of what she said was in front of him.

'I never thought that such a pathetic species could reach such speeds,' Adam thought with scorn as the crowd began to murmur amongst themselves at what they had seen. 'But that means that these ponies can do things that I did not believe possible. Maybe they truly can remove this cursed magic. And maybe if they can, I will not destroy them.' With renewed confidence flowing through him Teth picked up Sunnysmiles and carried her back to the castle, ignoring her complaints as he began to think out how he would get back to Earth.

S=H=A=Z=A=M

"I can't believe that I actually get to meet him!" Twilight squealed excitedly as she hopped alongside Radiance, who shook her head at her newest classmate. "The human! The talk of all of Equestria! And you're a friend of his! That is so awesome!"

"I wouldn't be so excited if I were you. He doesn't really do anything besides watch us," Radiance said to her classmate with a small smirk. "And he scowls, but that's about it...don't think you two will get along that well."

"But still! A human! They were just supposed to be myths!" Twilight practically screamed, causing the guard who was escorting the pair into the castle to jump slightly. "Think of all the stories he has about his world! How many humans do you think there are? I bet at least a million!"

"While that would be cool, Teth can't talk," Radiance pointed out, raining on Twilight's parade. She still gasped as the three walked around a corner and almost bumped into Teth and Celestia, the latter of the two smiling down at the pair of fillies.

"P-princess Celestia!" Twilight cried out as she practically threw herself to the floor. Radaince chuckled at her classmate as she bowed as well. Twilight's eyes then went wide as they rested upon Teth, who looked at the pair with narrowed eyes.

"Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh! You're the human!" Teth nodded slowly, not liking how this pony looked at him.

"Going to pick up my sister?" Radiance asked Celestia, who nodded with a gentle smile.

"Yes, and also discussing what to do about the changelings--with Teth," Celestia added as she motioned for the pair to join her. "Well, more like me telling him what my plans were. Though he doesn't seem to like any of them so far."

'They are juvenile and pathetic,' Adam thought as he scowled down at the purple filly that kept trying to touch him. The group walked through the streets of Canterlot to the school where Sunnysmiles attended, Teth watching as ponies all around them bowed as they walked through the streets.

"So Radiance, have you decided what to name your new dragon?" Twilight asked her friend excitedly.

"No, and I'm not sure how I feel about having a dragon hatchling in my life," Radiance said with a small shake of her head. "I mean, shouldn't we be putting the guy with his own kind, Mom?"

"Well...tensions have been high with the King of the Dragons and his race," Celestia hesitantly said, getting Teth to raise an eyebrow. "We're not at the point of war or anything, but he has made it clear that he doesn't want any ponies in his land. His son has made it clear that he doesn't like ponies in general."

'Is there any race in this land that isn't about to wage war against you?'

"Ugh, so when the king kicks the bucket, we're going to have to deal with his son, aren't we?" Radiance asked her mother, who nodded with a sigh. "Isn't that how this whole war with the changelings got started? Their king died and Chrysalis decided to attack us? Geez, why does everypony have a problem with us?"

'You're useless, a pain, and damn annoying.'

"Hey, how about Spike?" Twilight interjected, having missed most of the conversation as she tried to think up a name. "I mean, what else are you going to call a purple and green dragon?"

Radiance thought about it for a moment before she shrugged. "Sure, I can live with calling him Spike. What about your red and gold one?" The two went back and forth until the group reached the school entrance, where Sunnysmiles burst out of the front doors and over to them with a huge smile.

"Hi Mom! RadianceMomTethandTwilight," she said in one breath as she tackled Celestia's legs for a hug. "You said that you were going to take us to Ponyvile today right? So we can see the town?"

"Yes, my dear, but we must hurry if we are to get to the station on time," Celestia said with a giggle as she lifted Sunnysmiles onto her back, looking to Radiance who held up a hoof to stop her. "Twilight, would you like to come with us?"

"Of course!" Twilight said with a squeal as she took off ahead of them. Radiance followed her along with Celestia and Sunnysmiles. Sunny looked back to find that Teth was rooted firmly in place, giving the both of them a look.

"Uh oh, Mom, Teth's got his grumpy face on," Sunny teased, getting Celestia to turn around to look at him. He pointed to the castle and then made a motion with his hand like he was signing something, before pointing to her and then to the castle again.

"Oh right, I'm supposed to meet with my advisors about the tax in the land," Celestia muttered to herself before she shrugged and took off with a smile. "Oh well, it's not like this will be the first time that I've missed a meeting with them!" Teth couldn't believe that she'd just run off like that, but with a silent snarl he followed them to the train station. The group got the tickets and boarded the train (Celestia practically having to force Teth on board), where Sunny and Twilight sat by the window, while Celestia giggled at the glare Teth was giving her.

"Oh don't be like that, this won't take long," she teased with a playful smile, as Twilight started to play 'catch the spell' with Radiance. Teth once again shook his head and looked out the window of the train to watch the land as they passed by it, not wanting to look at the ponies that he was certain were watching him. The ride seemed to go on forever despite it having only been ten minutes, partially due to the fact that Sunnysmiles would not sit down or shut up the entire ride.

'Ignore her, you have dealt with far worse in the past,' Teth had to remind himself. 'Just focus on your revenge and all will be--' Before he could finish his thoughts, a massive explosion knocked the train with enough force to drive it right off of its tracks, sending the screaming train through a number of trees before it came to a stop in a meadow.

"Is everypony alright!?" Celestia yelled out, once she had made certain her daughters and Twilight were safe. When she knew that the ponies were okay, she started to use her magic to help those who had been hurt before a buzzing sound reached her ears. "Oh Faust, no. Teth! With me! The rest of you stay inside the cars and do not move!" Drawing his blade as he ran, Teth followed Celestia out of the wrecked train and into the meadow.

'They are persistent, I will allow them that.' A large number of changelings, some far bigger than the others, awaited them on the meadow's grass. They said no words but let loose a loud buzzing before charging at the two.

"Stay back Teth, I will-!" Celestia started before two of the larger ones tackled her to the side, forcing Teth to fend off three of the smaller ones by himself. They attacked him with ferocity, but their strikes and their bodies were struck down with cold and calculated precision by Teth's blade. He removed one of their heads from its shoulder before driving his knee into the gut of another one, impaling it a moment later with ease.

'These creatures are not so strong once their movements are revealed,' he thought silently as he watched them carefully, smirking as he discovered that all of them fought similarly. Two more fell to his blade before he felt a great weight tackle him from behind, driving him into the ground. He snarled as he spun around to attack, but his blade was knocked away by an armored hoof, which then placed itself on his throat.

"So you are the human that killed our spy?" the changeling asked him with a gruff chuckle as Teth struggled to remove the hoof, feeling the oxygen starting to leave him. "Please, I've killed rats more dangerous than you." He pressed down with his hoof and Teth felt his vision begin to blacken, then air came rushing back into his lungs as a blast of magic knocked the changeling off of him.

"Get away from him," Radiance snarled as she pointed her glowing horn at the changeling, who brushed off the attack with a chuckle as he slowly began to advance towards the small pony. Sunnysmiles and Twilight hid behind her, but Radiance refused to back away as the far larger opponent towered over her. "Last chance to back away."

"You've got guts. Too bad I've got to crush you," he said with a snarl, before screaming, as the black blade pushed itself through his throat. Teth spun the blade to slice the changeling's head off before he fell to his knees, holding his throat as he looked at Radiance through the corner of his eyes.

"You saved me and my sister. I owe you," Radiance said with a bit of bashfulness in her voice. "Besides, I guess that over time I've come to...tolerate you a bit more than I did before." Teth wasn't sure how to respond to what she had just said, but he was saved from answering by a blast of magic to his back that sent him skidding across the ground. Radiance threw up a barrier around her and the others as changelings began to bombard the three with magic.

'Get up! You are stronger than this!' Teth screamed inside of his mind as he forced himself to his hands and knees, barely able to see through the pain. He turned his head slightly to see another changeling about to impale him on his own blade, but he was saved when crimson magic struck the changeling and blasted it into ash. Teth struggled back to his feet as Celestia landed besides him, bleeding slightly but looking otherwise unharmed.

"I am sorry," she whispered down at the ash pile, before sending a bolt of magic that blasted the other changelings away from her daughters and Twilight. Once they were safe, she turned her attention to Teth, horror in her eyes when she saw the magic burn on his back. "Teth, you are injured. You need to get away from here and--" More changelings began to swarm towards the group, giving Teth just enough time to bend down and grab the blade that was at his feet. He then gave Celestia a smirk before charging back into the fray, tackling a changeling and driving his blade through its chest.

"Mom! Sister!" Sunnysmiles cried out as she was grabbed by one of the changelings, which began to carry her away. Teth reacted the fastest and he hurled his blade, throwing it at a perfect arc that clipped the changeling's wings. It fell to the ground and Sunny rolled out of its grasp, giving Teth time to run over to her. But before he could each her the changeling began to glow, causing it to pulse as it buzzed.

"All enemies of the queen shall perish!" it roared. Sunny threw up her hooves to defend herself with a scream as Celestia tried to run over to protect her, but Teth knew that he was the only one close enough to save her. Yet he also knew that the magic about to explode would most likely kill him.

'And until I get my revenge I cannot allow myself to--' Then he looked into her eyes and saw the fear, the same fear that he had seen in his subjects' eyes moments before the blast wiped them out. And his body moved on its own. He threw himself over the small filly as the explosion of magic went off, causing every one of his cells to scream in agony before everything went black.

S=H=A=Z=A=M

Teth once again found himself waking up in a bed, but this time he seemed to be in a proper hospital. The first sight that greeted his eyes were the faces of Celestia, Sunnysmiles and Radiance, who had a mixture of relief and concern on them as he awoke. He growled as he tried to sit up, but he found it far more difficult and taxing than it should have been. His body was heavily bandaged and he realized just how weak he felt.

"Teth...oh thank the stars, you're alright," Celestia said softly as she let out a small sigh of relief.

'Odd, I do not feel alright.' His look told them what he was thinking and Celestia hung her head with a sad expression written across her face.

"I know that you must be infuriated at what happened and I will admit, that I too am infuriated with myself. I thought that the changelings would not directly attack me again after I defeated their forces a while back, but it seems, that has simply made them far more desperate." She pulled her daughters in close as she said this, tears forming up in her eyes. "I cannot believe that I nearly lost them again. But just as before, I have you to thank for their safety. Without you, I would have lost the two who matter the most to me."

Teth wanted to make a smart remark, but he found himself unable to do so as he looked upon Celestia holding her daughters close, with a look of relief and gratitude that he knew was directed at him. He could also see the fear, a fear of losing those closest to you in a moment of weakness...a fear that he knew all too well.

"I...owe you my life again Teth," Sunnysmiles said with a smile as she walked over and lightly hugged him. "Thanks for saving me...Mr. Grumpypants." Radiance walked over as well, and while she said nothing, her eyes spoke for her and she hugged him too. Celestia joined in and Teth was forced to push them off of him.

"Come now daughters, I think he needs to rest," Celestia said softly as she used her wings to gently push the two fillies toward the doors, where she stopped and turned back to look at Teth. "I will not forget what you have done for us in such a short time. I am eternally in your debt, Teth, and I will find a way to repay you, be it whatever you ask." She left as she said this, leaving Teth alone with thoughts that he hadn't had before.

'Why did I protect them again? I could have been killed and unable to avenge my people!' Teth thought with a rage at himself, rage because he had almost jeopardized his revenge for a group of ponies. 'Why did I allow myself to do that? Why for a group of horses?!" But even as he raged at himself, he knew the answer already. 'Because I saw that a child was about to be killed; killed despite having done nothing to warrant that kind of attack...just like my people.'

He forced himself to stand up, dragging his pained body towards the window where he could look out across the colorful land, where he could see the ponies of the town. 'And despite what I may think of Celestia, that she is a terrible leader and has no idea how to run a nation, she is still a mother trying to protect her children...her family. Is that...why I agreed to help her? Because I am trying to make up for my failure.'

'And now I am in her debt as well, as she has saved my life a number of times on this day alone. Despite my attitude. Despite me wanting to kill them,' Teth thought uncomfortably as he placed his hand on the glass, his old sense of honor flaring back up again. 'Maybe that is why I help them as I do. Because I see my family, my children in Sunny and Radiance...and some of myself in Celestia, a leader who is trying their best against forces that seek to destroy them.' He felt a wave of weakness wash over him and he hobbled back to his bed, where he lay down and looked at the ceiling.

'I am stuck here with no way to reclaim my voice or any way to return to my home. I suppose that if I am to do anything while I seek an answer, guarding others will suffice. I owe them that much,' Teth silently thought as he closed his eyes. 'At least until I retrieve my powers. Then I will be done with my repayment.'