• Published 4th Nov 2014
  • 5,768 Views, 340 Comments

He Who Wields The Lightning - Onomonopia

  • ...
19
 340
 5,768

The Only Chance They Have

Black Adam knew that Celestia wasn't looking at him in quite the same way since the incident with the griffons, but after a few days, the way she talked to him told him that she had put it behind her. Though he rarely had the chance to talk to her, due to his duty of constantly supervising Radiance, who now never left the sphere's room.

"I wish that she would let Sunny rest in peace," Celestia mourned, once Adam told her where Radiance had been. "Radiance could never accept failure, but maybe if she fails here it will help her to learn how to be at peace with the way things happen. Any sign of the griffons in Equestria?"

"No, and I have done a very thorough search," Adam answered. Neither he nor Celestia liked the quiet following Adam's attack on the griffon king. "We have expected some kind of retaliation, but there has been nothing but silence on their end. Either they learned their lesson from meeting me, or they are planning something. Since that king is a fool though, I assume it will be the latter." Celestia shook her head before turning her gaze to the ponies walking the streets below them, a smile crossing her face.

"Everything seems so peaceful. Yet I feel that it will not last," she muttered. "All of the other species seem to want Equestria and the goods that it holds, even if they have to take it by force. Not to mention..." She stopped talking there, but Adam knew there was something that she wasn't telling him. He cast that thought aside when Shining Armor and Cadence walked out onto the balcony with them, a huge smile on Shining's face.

"With a look like that upon your face, no one would think of you as the captain of the guard," Adam said, but Shining brushed the words off with a flick of his hooves as both he and Cadence looked at Celestia.

"We're going to be heading out on our honeymoon tomorrow," Shining informed Celestia, who nodded with a happy smile. "Mareiland is wonderful this time of year, and there's a festival coming up there that the two of us have been dying to see."

"Yes, it will be nice to finally get some peace and quiet, especially with Adam causing such trouble around here."

"You have been speaking with Luna again. I would advise against it if you wish to be a good ruler." Celestia slapped Adam with her wing before smiling at the pair of ponies.

"I am glad that the two of you will be able to get away from this for a while. I am a bit envious of you," she admitted with a bashful smile. "I haven't been able to truly get away from the royal life in over five hundred years. Ugh, I feel old." The three ponies laughed at the joke while Adam turned his attention to the distance, where Radiance was. He didn't know why, but he felt something for just a moment...and he didn't like it.

"Excuse me." He was already at the old castle before the ponies could answer him and he floated his way into the castle, before gliding down to the room where Radiance was with the spheres. What he saw confirmed his fears. The room was filled with silver energy crackling everywhere, sending tendrils through the walls and threatening the safety of the structure. He found Spike hiding behind a fallen chunk of ceiling, while Radiance stood in the center of the room, looking like her magic was being sucked out of her by the silver sphere.

"Hold on! I will end this!" Adam yelled over the magic as he pointed his arm at the sphere, but Radiance threw herself between it and him.

"NO! I almost have the spell working!" she roared with enough conviction to stop Black Adam, who slightly lowered his hand in surprise. But when he narrowed his eyes and saw through the magic flinging itself across the room, he realized why she had stopped him. He could just barely make the outline of a pony in the center of all the magic, but it was a vague outline at best.

'She has almost brought her to life,' he realized. 'Or she is trying to place her own soul within the sphere.' But his eyes narrowed again when he noticed that Radiance could barely stand and the sphere was syphoning the magic out of her at an alarming speed. Adam's senses told him that she would not survive much longer and he knew he had to act.

"Just a bit more," Radiance begged. "Just a bit more power!" Adam didn't know how to handle this. He knew that he could easily destroy the sphere, but he had no idea what that would do if that much magical energy were released. But the sphere was killing Radiance and he could not allow that to happen.

'But with a bit more magic, the spell might work. Yet the last time I gave my power to another, it was nearly the death of all of us,' he remembered, Isis and Osiris flashing before him, their faces telling him not to do it. Then Radiance cried out in pain and his resolve steeled, and he held out his hand and aimed it at the sphere, speaking only one word.

"Shazam."

A stream of electric magic flowed from his arm and into the sphere, channeling it with his electric powers, but then the sphere grew brighter than the lightning that flowed into it. The sphere began to surge with power that even Adam could feel, so by instinct he threw himself forward and grabbed both Spike and Radiance, using his body to shield them from the blast of magic that went off. It burned against his skin, but he gritted his teeth and never moved. Within seconds the wave stopped and Adam released his grasp on the two, who rushed out from under him to see what had happened.

"Where's the sphere?" Radiance asked as she looked around the room, seeing only the black sphere on its side of the room, yet its sister was nowhere to be seen. "No...nononono! It can't be gone! It can't be!"

"Yet, it is," Adam confirmed, not able to sense its magical energies anywhere on the planet. "I am sorry Radiance, but I am going to take you back to Celestia. She will need to know what happened here and how this may affect the land." Radiance tried to fight him, but he grabbed her with one arm and Spike with the other before rocketing out of the castle, landing on the balcony where Celestia was moments later.

"Adam? Radiance? What has happened?" she asked them.

"Explain," Adam demanded to Radiance.

"What have you done?" Celestia muttered to Radiance once she had explained herself, leaning back against the wall next to her as her eyes shrunk in terror. "This is not good. This...this could be the end of everything as we know it."

"I didn't mean to," Radiance whispered, but Celestia was no longer listening to her at that point.

"Without the two spheres keeping each other in check, the sphere of destruction will continue to grow in power until it consumes the land," Celestia whispered in shock, looking back at Radiance with fear. "I only let you stay there because I believed that you would not have the magical strength to affect either of the orbs, but you have destroyed one of them. Radiance, I am so...disa-"

"You are as foolish as your sister if you believe that she was the one to affect the orb." All three sets of eyes turned towards Adam, who crossed his arms with a frown. "The sphere was killing Radiance, draining the magical energy from her body, so I used my strongest spell, to try to complete her spell, yet it seems that I ended up destroying it. Do not blame her for the sphere's weakness."

"Teth...you destroyed it?" Celestia asked in confusion, trying to process what he had said, but Adam had already turned his back and was taking to the skies.

"If what you said is true, then we will need another powerful magical source to keep the sphere of destruction at bay," he reminded them, letting the lightning flash across his suit. "And since I have just destroyed the sphere of creation, that means my magic is far stronger than the spheres' magic. I will have that sphere destroyed within moments as well." He took to the skies again and arrived at the castle to see that a small portion of it was already missing. He flew within its walls to see that the black sphere was already sucking in all of the materials around it, causing Adam to snarl.

"You will not have this land. I swear this!" Electricity flew from his fingertips and wrapped themselves around the black sphere, creating a cage of power that began to subdue its power. Yet to Adam's shock, the black sphere began to consume the electricity, adding to its already great power. "Not yet. SHAZAM!" The ultimate spell thundered down from above and struck upon the sphere, adding its godly magic to the electric cage. Finally the sphere seemed to be subdued, as the darkness that had been eating away at the castle was drawn back into it.

'I should destroy it like its sister,' Adam thought as he raised a hand and prepared another surge of electricity, sending his power coursing into it and blasting it into nothingness. With a smirk as he looked at the small remains of what he used to consider a threat he turned to leave. The sky thundered as Adam took to the skies again, shooting out of the castle and into the sky, planning to tell Celestia that the sphere had been destroyed. So focused was he on his task that he never saw the shadowy unicorn that slinked into the castle once he had left, cautiously entering the hidden chamber as he muttered a spell, causing the sphere to reform within seconds.

"Foolish Adam, you cannot destroy destruction," the unicorn said with glee as he cast another spell that calmed the sphere's destructive nature. "But thanks to you, we now have the sphere And the plan can begin."

S=H=A=Z=A=M

The sun felt great against his coat, but what felt even greater was the sight of Cadence running around in the ocean with a huge smile on her face, enjoying herself for what felt like the first time since the changeling invasion.

'Finally, some peace and quiet,' Shining thought to himself as he tipped his hat over his eyes and leaned back in his chair, letting the sea breeze take away all his problems. 'A week to ourselves is just what we needed. Now if only Twilight would stop sending me letters every day.' Cadence walked out of the ocean and shook the water from her coat, spraying Shining in the process.

"Now why did you go and do that? I was enjoying myself," he teased before getting splashed again. Cadence smirked at him before looking at a clock off in the distance with wide eyes.

"Come on, the movie starts in a little under an hour," she said to him as her horn glowed, picking up the beach supplies and quickly packing them away. Shining helped as best he could, but she had finished the packing within seconds and was already dragging her husband across the beach.

"You do know that you're a princess, right?" he asked her with a smirk while wrapping a hoof around her. "I'm certain that if you told the theater to wait to show the movie, nopony would complain."

"While not a bad idea, I don't like to abuse my power like that," she said with a smile as she rubbed her head against him. The taxi arrived to take them to their hotel, Cadence throwing the bags into the back while hopping into the taxi. "Shining, is something the matter?" she asked him once she saw her husband's face. His eyes narrowed at the sky.

"Cadence...send a message to Celestia," Shining snarled as he tore open one of his bags and pulled out his collapsible spear, which he then pointed at the sky. Cadence followed his gaze to see to her utmost horror that thousands of armored griffons were descending upon the city, attacking any pony that they could get their claws on. Cadence began to scribble away while Shining let out a yell and charged the closest griffon to him, driving his spear into its shoulder.

"Get out of my land!" he roared at it while bucking it hard in the jaw. Two more griffons flew down from the skies and tackled Shining to the ground, pinning him there as one tried to slash his throat.

"And get off my husband!" Two bolts of magic knocked the griffons into the sides of nearby buildings, allowing Shining to hop back up to his hooves as Cadence ran over to him. "There are thousands of them! Did that damned king send his whole army here?"

"Did you send the letter?" Shining asked with worry, as more armored griffons descended upon the land.

"Yes, but I have no idea how soon until Celestia gets here!" Cadence responded before blasting another pair of griffons out of the sky. All eyes turned towards the princess as she did this and the griffons all snarled with victory in their eyes.

"It's one of the princesses! Grab her!" Both Shining and Cadence threw up a barrier to protect themselves at the same time, but the sheer volume of bodies that threw themselves at the barrier began to shatter the magic shield.

"Hold on!" Cadence yelled, but with a shriek the griffons pushed through the barrier and sent the pair skidding across the streets. Shining barely had a moment to pull himself back up to his hooves before being tackled to the ground by a number of griffons, who clamped a weird device to his horn. When he tried to use his magic, a sharp pain coursed through his body that forced him to the street.

"What do we do with this one?" one of the griffons asked, once they were done clamping one of the devices to Cadence as well, who required a larger number of griffons to subdue her.

"Kill him. All we need is the princess." Shining struggled as best he could against the large number of griffons, but there were just too many for him to fight. All he could do was watch as one of them brought its claws back to strike his throat. Cadence screamed as the blow was struck. Shining closed his eyes as he felt blood cover his body, but he felt no pain from what should have been a fatal wound. When he opened his eyes again, he found a now-headless griffon resting on his body, and a very angry human in black standing over them.

"Black Adam," Shining whispered as the griffons all backed away from the black-clad human. With godly speeds, Adam impaled a griffon on his arm while kicking another one in half, electrocuting the one on his arm before tossing its body into the sky. The griffons didn't even have time to react as one was punched into the stratosphere and the last was simply crushed in his grasp.

"It seems that everyone hates the two of you," he muttered as he snapped the magic suppressors on their horns, before turning back to the battle in the city. "Celestia got your letter, but I was far faster than she is. The two of you go check on the ponies while I clean up this mess." He shot off into the air, leaving the two ponies star struck.

"Should we...help him?" Cadence asked.

"Trust me, Cadence, if anypony is going to need help it will be the griffons."

S=H=A=Z=A=M

Adam smirked as he felt the griffon's skull shatter under his boot and the body fell to the streets below. All of the creatures were now focusing on him and ignoring the ponies below. Despite being horribly outnumbered, there was only a smile on Adam's face as he tore through the enemy forces, literally and figuratively. His hand slashed through a throat before a blast of lightning killed the griffon and the hundred behind it.

"I gave your king fair warning as to what would happen if he tried to harm those under my protection," he yelled into the storm of griffons, only getting shrieks and roars of rage in response. He clasped his hands together and slowly pulled them apart while creating a giant sphere of power and electricity, which he then shot into the biggest cluster of griffons that he could find. The explosion incinerated any caught within, and those closest were sucked into the death trap despite their ability to fly.

"You think of yourself so powerful?!" one of the griffons yelled at him as it flung itself towards him. "Our armor was forged from mithril! Your magic cannot--!" Adam flew right at the griffon and impaled him upon his arm, smirking at all of the other griffons who watched the bloody spectacle.

"Your armor may have protected you from the inferior pony magic, but my magic comes from the gods." To strike his point home, he summoned the lightning upon his arm and burned the griffon to ashes, armor and all. "There is nothing that can protect you from my wrath. Nothing." The ponies that weren't being chased by griffons watched the bodies of the griffons fall from the skies as Adam tore through their ranks, but the more he fought, the more he noticed a problem.

'Despite how easy this is, there will still be a large number of casualties by the time this battle is over,' he thought as he looked down upon the city, catching a griffon that tried to attack him from behind and crushing its windpipe. Despite most of the griffons attacking him, there will still those that were attacking the innocent down below. And he hated those who chose to attack the innocent. They were weak. He decimated whatever griffons were still around him before rocketing off to where Shining and Cadence were helping others, landing in front of them with enough force to create a crater in the street.

"I need your assistance," he said to the stunned pair. "I need a sample of your equestrian magic. Do not ask questions, just do as I say!" Shining and Cadence both looked at him with a bit of surprise before creating two spheres of magic in front of Adam, who grabbed the two spheres and began to learn how they felt. 'This magic is far different from my own, yet it seems that all ponies posses some kind of magic within them, even if they cannot access it like I can. But the griffons...their magic is not like the ponies. Now I can end this.'

He took to the skies again, floating right in the center of the city so he could observe all. Clasping his hands together, he began to mutter ancient enchantments while creating a sphere of crackling lightning in between his palms. "Ibal es, Alakashazam." The electricity turned a greyish color and Adam nodded, knowing that the spell had worked. He then thrust his hands into the air and let loose the word...

"Shazam!"

The magical lightning flew from his hands and ascended into the clouds above the town, thundering for a moment before divine bolts struck down from the heavens, blasting anything that they touched into ash. With the ponies magic attuned to his own now, he kept the spell from striking any ponies, leaving only griffons to be struck down. He crossed his arms with a smile as he watched thousands of griffons fall to the earth, smoldering as they did so.

"That was far too easy. And Celestia believed these creatures a threat." He turned and flew off to inform Celestia that the forces had been destroyed, leaving the ponies to cheer him as he flew off, while Shining and Cadence watched him go as well.

"That...power," Cadence said with horror in her voice as she looked at all of the bodies, Shining wrapping a hoof around her and pulled her close.

"That's war, dear. But if it wasn't for him...we all would have died."

S=H=A=Z=A=M

"Well what else was I supposed to do? Slap them on the wrist and send them off with a warning?" Adam snarled as Celestia walked away from him, rage on her face as she stalked down the castle halls. "They were attacking your people with lethal force and I responded in kind. That is war."

"I know what war is Teth, but what you did was slaughter," she scowled back at him. "I heard the reports from the ponies. You made bodies rain from the skies after creating enough power to fuel my country for years. That was overkill! A show of force would have scared them off, especially if it was from you!"

Adam scoffed at her idea. "A show of force? Scare them off? Celestia, if I did that they would believe me a kind-hearted weakling who did not finish his foes. By killing them all, I showed their foolish king what happens when you send mortals to fight a god." Celestia turned with a snarl and walked right up to Adam, glaring into his eyes.

"So ponies with kind hearts are weaklings? I would remind you that it was my kind heart that took a mute human in and gave him a place to rest for ten years," she growled. "But maybe I should have just had him thrown out. Then maybe I wouldn't be a kind-hearted weakling."

"Celestia, I was not implying," Adam began, but Celestia wasn't listening. Adam sighed while placing his hands to his head as Celestia stalked away, knowing that he would have to deal with that later. His attention was grabbed at that moment by Shining and Cadence, who had just returned to the castle.

"So, you two finally return," Adam remarked as the guards saluted them. "How is the city?"

"Minor damage and casualties, thanks to you," Shining said. Adam nodded in response. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed Cadence giving him a similar look to the ones Luna gave him, and he rolled his eyes. Turning his attentions back to Shining, he found that the captain still hadn't left yet.

"Is there something else you require of me?"

Shining looked up at Adam and inhaled once. "I wanted...to thank you, for arriving when you did. I know that Celestia and Cadence are upset with how you handled the griffons, but if you had not acted when you did, then more lives would have been lost...including ours," he said as he looked at his wife. "I wont forget what you did for me, Black Adam. If you ever need anything from me or the guards, we're in your debt now." He walked away to his wife as he said this, leaving Adam to nod as he did so.

'Finally, one of them gets it,' he thought to himself. 'I do not kill for the sake of killing, like those petty criminals of Earth. I do it to protect the peace and to save lives. That is what those weaklings on Earth never got. That I was trying to save them. I uphold justice--a justice that they will all have to face.'