• Published 17th Mar 2014
  • 668 Views, 7 Comments

Stopping the Future That the past Creates - Yoshi1990



A pegasus from a dark future travels back in time to try and stop the future from taking place.

  • ...
3
 7
 668

Chapter 8: Visiting Lyra Heartstrings

The ponies reached Ice Lake Village and took the first train that was going to Canterlot.


Lightwing sat next to a window again. “This was a nice adventure. What do I do now?”

Twilight and Rainbow Dash were sitting behind Lightwing. Rainbow Dash yawned. “Shouldn't you go back to the future? Your job of saving the future is over.”

Lightwing started staring out the window. “I don't think that is a good idea. If I have changed the future, everything I know is no more.” Her ears flopped down and her voice now had a sadder tone. “In theory, I should not be here now but let’s not get into theories and stuff. I have no reason to go back if nothing I know is there anymore. So I think I will just start a life here. That’s my price for using magic.”

Twilight patted Lightwing on the back. “It’s OK. I think you will have a great life here. I have been meaning to ask you something. Can you really absorb magic directly from from unicorns?”

“Yes I can, but I would never do that. Also, it would only work on average unicorns. I do have to admit I was impressed when I absorbed your magic. You are an alicorn. It will never happen again. I don’t plan on being possesed by an evil dragon with more magic than me or you. I have practiced some darker magic, but I stopped because it’s a bad path to go down. Six hundred years of practicing magic has it’s advantages...and disadvantages.”

Twilight moved up a seat and sat next to Lightwing. “That type of magic was banned long ago. I am sure you know why. We better keep that little skill of yours a secret. So what are your plans for your new future?”

Lightwing had not stopped looking out the window. “I think I will start a new restaurant business in Ponyville and other cities. Not Canterlot. Those ponies are too boring to enjoy my crazy food.” Lightwing smiled at that thought. “I need some time to think. Would you mind if I laid down in one of the beds here?”

“Of course not,” Twilight said with a smile. “Anything for a friend.”

Lightwing hovered over to a bed in the back, laid down, and thought to herself. She called me a friend again. I think she would be sad if she knew I don’t think of her and the Elements of Harmony as my friends. Lightwing grabbed an apple from the table next to her. I wish this apple were a ham. I’m craving some ham right now. “I guess I’ll have to wait.”

“Wait for what?” asked Twilight.

Lightwing lied and said, “Lasagna. I want some lasagna, but you don’t have that here.”


Twilight and her friends got off the train at Canterlot while Lightwing stayed on till the train reached Ponyville.


Lightwing got off the train, but was surprised when she was greeted by a mint green unicorn. “Hi.” The mint green unicorn put a hoof up.

Lightwing gave a hoof shake. “Hi, and who are you?”

“My name is Lyra Heartstrings, but you can call me Lyra. I just wanted to say I really like your necklace. I saw you with it a few days ago but never had the chance to talk to you.”

Lightwing blushed as she said, “Thanks. It was a gift from Rarity.”

“That explains why it looks so nice. Hey! Do you want to come to my home?”

“Sure. I got nowhere else to be. Where do you live?”

Lyra pointed a hoof to the east. “About one minute east. Do you like being here in the past?”

Lightwing threw her hooves up and began hovering over Lyra. “Does everypony know I’m from the future?”

“I would say yes. Pinkie told everypony at that party.”


The two ponies entered Lyra’s house. Lightwing saw there was a green chair to the left. A blue couch stood against the back wall with a bookshelf next to it. A door was to the right and a staircase next to it. The home had a strange but nice smell.

Lyra pointed a hoof to the right. “Over there is the door to the kitchen and other rooms. There is also a staircase to the three bedrooms. There are two beds in each room. We don't have a lot of food right now. Bon Bon should be back with some food soon.”

“Who is Bon Bon?” asked Lightwing as she put her cloak and saddlebag next to the couch.

Lyra smiled as she went over to the green chair. She sat down in an upright position that looked unnatural for a pony. “Bon Bon is my lifelong friend. We live together. She is an earth pony but knows a lot about magic. She is also a voice actor.“

Lightwing hovered to the couch and laid down on her back. “Thats a weird way you’re sitting.”

Lyra rolled her eyes in annoyance.“I find it comfortable. Do you have anywhere to live?”

Lightwing rolled over onto her stomach. ”I don't, but I do have money to buy a home. So I just need to find one.”

Lyra’s face lit up. “Maybe you could get the Apple family to build you a home. They love building stuff. I am sure they would be more than happy to build you a home. It should only take a day to build.”

Lightwing waved her hooves through the air in random patterns. “Getting a home built for me would be nice. I just need to figure out where to have it.” She continued moving her hooves around. “I think I will take after Pinkie Pie and Rarity with the home and work at the same place. It’s a nice concept. Before you ask, It will be a restaurant. I will have desserts. So I will give Pinkie Pie some friendly competition.”

“And the Cakes.”

Lightwing turned her head towards Lyra. “The who?”

“The Cakes,” Lyra said with a smile. “They are the owners of Ca...Sugarcube Corner.” Lyra laughed. “I almost said Carousel Boutique. Twilight works at her home too, and technically Applejack too.”

“Seems like all the Elements of Harmony work from their home. Even Fluttershy. I could pose as an Element too. Thanks to Rarity’s fine work on my necklace.” Lightwing jumped as she heard a knock on the door.

A voice from the other side of the door asked, “Will you open the door, Lyra?”


A green aura surrounded the door and opened it. Lightwing was overwhelmed by the smell of fruit as she saw a pony enter the house. She assumed it was Bon Bon. Lightwing flew over to her and grabbed the large box of apples on Bon Bon’s back. Lyra used her magic to carry two of the four saddlebags from Bon Bon.


The three ponies went to the kitchen. Lyra started emptying the saddlebags. “You brought more food than I was expecting. That is good because we have a guest. It’s almost like you knew.”

Bon Bon shook her head as she put food away. “I bought some lemons from Lemon Dreams. Sweet Apple Acres was having a sale on apples. So I got a large box of apples. I had no idea you had a guest coming over. I wish you would have told me. Your spontaneous guests do get annoying sometimes, but it is fun.”


Lightwing was sitting at the kitchen table across from the stove. A green aura surrounded the apple she was eating. With her teeth, Lightwing held on to the apple tight as it tried to float away. Her grip on the apple got so tight that she bit through it and the rest floated over to Lyra. Lyra took a bite and returned the stolen fruit to the table. Lightwing opened her mouth ready to say something, but the apple floated into her mouth. Lyra smiled and Lightwing rolled her eyes and continued eating the apple.

Bon Bon sighed in relief as she put away the last of the groceries. She closed the fridge with a bang. “What is our guest’s name?”

“My name is Lightwing,” she said in a flat tone.

Lyra giggled. “I just realised that I did not know your name either. I forgot to ask you because I was so happy to meet you.”

Bon Bon groaned as her muscles ached. She started walking to the main door. “I am going to the Ponyville spa.” She grabbed her saddlebag with some bits. “Do you two want to come?”


Lightwing shook her head as she flew to the couch and lay down on it again. A green aura surrounded her and put her on the floor.


Lyra looked Lightwing directly in the eyes. “We may not be going to the spa, but we are leaving.” She waved at Bon Bon as the front door closed. “We are going to Sweet Apple Acres to ask the Apple family to build you that work home. So bring your bits.”

Lightwing grabbed her saddlebag and strapped it to her. In a firm voice said, “Can you please not use your magic on me?”

Lyra smiled. “As you wish. What do you have against other ponies using magic on you?”

“I had some bad experiences in my time,” replied Lightwing.

“Sounds like you and Bon Bon have something in common. Bon Bon hates magic being used on her too. She had abusive unicorn parents. I’m sure something totally different happened to you.” The two left the house.

The two ponies began their journey to the apple orchard. Lyra trotted towards their goal. Lightwing hovered a few inches above the ground but was going the same speed. Lyra tried to start a conversation but Lightwing wasn’t in the mood to talk. It took ten minutes to get to their destination.


A yellow filly was at the front gate ready to greet the two guests. “Hi. Ah’m Applebloom. Welcome to Sweet Apple Acres. Big Macintosh is busy right now. Only ah’m here to help.”

Lightwing landed in front of the filly with a smile. “I would like your family to build me a restaurant and home. It will all be one building. First floor is the restaurant and second floor will be my living space. I will pay for all the supplies and I’ll pay your family for the work. Tell Big Macintosh about my request. Send a letter to Twilight’s home tomorrow with the answer to my question. Have a nice day.”


Applebloom nodded her head and walked away.


Lightwing stared at Applebloom until she was out of hearing range. “This might sound crazy but I think I have seen a picture of Applebloom in the future.”

“How is that possible?” Lyra giggled as a thought came to her. “Maybe the Cutie Mark Crusaders found your time travel potion and traveled to the future.”

“Did you you just say that she is in the Cutie Mark Crusaders?”

“I guess I did,” replied Lyra. “Why do you care?”

Lightwing was paying no attention to Lyra.“This can’t be the same Cutie Mark Crusaders that I know of. This just has to be a coincidence.”

“Hey! Explain it to me,” asked Lyra.

“No need to yell. In my time, there is a worldwide company called the Cutie Mark Crusaders. They help ponies find their cutie marks. Thier main building is in Manehatten. In the building, there is a mural of the three founding members of the company, and one of them looks like an older Applebloom.”

“Wow,” was all Lyra said.

“Care to expand that thought?”

“Sure,” Lyra said with a smile. “I’m guessing the mural has an orange pegasus with a dark-pink mane and a white unicorn with a light-pink and purple mane.” Lightwing had no response and just stared in amazement. “Judging by your face, I would say I got that spot on. I would have never guessed that those three trouble makers would have a worldwide business...and one that is still around in your far off future. So what do we do now?”

“We could explore the Everfree Forest.”

Lyra went wide eyed. “Are you crazy? That’s like suicide.” Even more suicidal than going to Tartarus for a vacation or sneaking into the human world from that special mirror in the Crystal Empire. I miss my home world...I love you dad. Why do we have to be in different world? At least I can talk to you with my enchanted hoofheld mirror

“Lyra!”

“I’m back. I got lost in my thoughts. I do that sometimes. Why would you want to go into the Everfree Forest?”

“I like to be in forests when I’m thinking a lot. It makes me feel better.”

“I’ll go to the edge of the forest with you. What are you thinking about?” asked Lyra as she began walking toward the forest.

“I guess now is a fine time to talk about it. I got possessed by the dragon when I was fighting him and before he was defeated, he said that this was not the end. Now I’m not sure if I saved the future or not.

“Doubting yourself is a problem. You should believe in yourself. Even if you have to fight that dragon again, I’m sure you would win.”


Lightwing shook her head in disbelief.


“What are you disagreeing with?”

“I spent my whole life planning how to defeat that dragon...and for what...just to fight him again?”

Lyra stopped at the edge of the forest and sat down. “You’re thinking about this too much. You won and you’ll win again if needed. You still win if you never see the dragon again. So quit your worrying.”

With a sigh, Lightwing answered. “I guess you’re right but I don’t know if I can just magically stop worrying. My entire lives work might have been for nothing...It’s hard to not think about that.”

Lyra raised an eyebrow. “I never thought of it that way. I don’t know your life, so I can’t help with that. I can be here to support you.”

“Thanks for the talk but I think we should go back to your home.”

Lyra nodded her head in agreement. “Can I get a ride home?”


Lightwing flew above Lyra and grabbed her. She lifted up the unicon with some extra help from magic. Lightwing began flying towards their home at decent speeds. Lyra waved at everypony as she floated by them. Most waved back but some just watched.


Lyra was put down gently in front of her door. “That was a fun ride.” The two ponies went into the home. Lyra went straight into the kitchen. “Lightwing, How are you going to get all the bits to pay the Apple family?”

Lightwing hovered into the kitchen. “I already have the bits to pay. I brought them from the future.” She sat down at the kitchen table. “I bet you're wondering how I have that many bits. They are all in my saddlebag. It has been magically enchanted. It can hold an almost infinite number of bits.” Lightwing smiled. “So I’m a super-rich pony but nopony knows. I usually keep my bits in a magic portal at my home and have it connected to my saddle bag for instant access. I have no home here and I don’t think my saddle bag can connect to my home in the future. So I took half of my bits with me.”

“That’s cool. Do you want some of this salad that I am making?” Lightwing’s stomach growled as if it had heard the question. Lyra giggled. “That’s not the answer I was expecting to hear, but any answer is a good answer.”

The front door opened. “I’m home,” called Bon Bon. “And I brought Lemon Dreams.”

Lyra giggled again. “I thought you were against spontaneous guests.”

“I figured we could have another guest. Since we already had one.”


The two earth ponies entered the kitchen and sat down with Lightwing.


“Do you two want some salad too?” asked Lyra.

“Yes for both of us,” replied Lemon Dreams. She looked over at Lightwing with a smile. “You must be future pony.” Tears began flowing down her face. “...My sister…you could save my sister. I don’t know how a pegasus can time travel but obviously you can. “ Lemon Dreams wiped some tears from her face. “So...Do you think you could save my sister?”

Lightwing rubbed the back of her neck with a hoof. “I don’t think I should do that.”

What! Why?!” Lemon Dreams slammed her head and a hoof into the table. “We all know that you already saved the whole world. So how is saving one more pony going to hurt?”


Lyra sat down at the table. She magically moved the four plates of salad to the table.


Lightwing was going to reply, but Bon Bon began talking first. “Future pony is right about it being a bad idea.” She put a hoof over the crying Lemon Dreams. “Let’s look at it in a different way. Let’s say she does go back in time and saves your sister. Now your sister is alive, but what if she dies again but in a different way? Do you really want to go through all that pain again? There are so many things that could go wrong. You had a type of happiness after your sister died this time, but that might not happen next time. Bad things happen to everypony, and we have to live with them. I would love to have things in my past changed too but I know it’s better to live with the bad stuff. It helps you learn to better yourself. Your whole life could change. You might never come to Ponyville. Then you would never meet all the friends that you have here. And that book you wrote might help somepony else who is going through a bad time. I think you can agree that you have a good life, and changing it would not be good.”

“You're right,” replied Lemon Dreams. “I’m sorry I got upset. I get a little emotional when thinking about my sister.” She started eating her food. Bon Bon and Lightwing began eating their salads too.

Lightwing glanced over at Lemon Dreams. “What is the name of your book?”

“It’s called Life is a Lemon. Are you going to buy it some time?”

“Sure. I have the bits to afford it.”

Lyra had finished eating her salad. She quietly clapped her fore hooves together. “Good job, Bon Bon. You are always good at fixing problems and making others feel better.” Lyra got up from her chair. “I am going to send a letter to Octavia. It’s been awhile since I talked to her.”

========== At Canterlot ==========

Princess Twilight saw a letter appear in a small box next to her. “Octavia, you got a letter from Lyra. Do you want me to send a reply of just ignore it?”

“What does it say?” asked Octavia.


Twilight grabbed the letter and began to read it aloud.

Dear Octavia.

It’s been a while since we have talked. How are your concerts going? Is Vinyl still scaring your audience on random occasions?
Today I met a new friend. Her name is Lightwing. She is planning to open a restaurant in Ponyville. I have not asked what she is going to be serving, but I think it will be good.
How is that high end fancy life of yours going? Has anything exciting happened, or is it just the same old same old boring stuff?
I hope you reply soon. I know how busy you can get. So don’t feel too obligated to reply fast.

Your friend, Lyra.

Octavia smiled. “Send a reply to her. Tell her about the incident today. She loves to hear about the exciting things. I think me growing four extra hooves falls into that category. Thank Celestia that I do not have them any more, but in this case it is more of thank Discord. I never thought I would say that.”

========== At Lyra’s and Bon Bon’s home ==========

The four ponies were sitting in the living room. A green glow surrounded the small box next to Lyra as a letter appeared inside it.

“Read it to us,” stated Bon Bon.


Lyra grabbed the letter with magic and began reading.

Dear Lyra.

I am sorry that I have not talked to you for so long. You know how busy we fancy ponies can get.

My concerts are going good and yes Vinyl is doing her thing. I am used to it. It is funny to watch the civilised ponies freaking out. I can see why Vinyl does it.

Maybe I will come over to this restaurant on opening day. Make sure you tell me what day that will be. I look forward to meeting your new friend.

You will be happy to know that my life has been quite exciting today. I was going to tell you about it tomorrow morning, but you seem to have a way of getting to know sooner.

The day started out normal. I was planning to play at a concert in the afternoon. Forty minutes after I woke up, I was invited into the castle by a letter from Princess Twilight . I went to the castle and was told to wait for the princesses to finish their meeting. So I chose to go visit Trixie Lulamoon in her chamber. I should have knocked first. I entered her chambers not knowing she was practicing a new spell that Luna had asked her to do. I startled her and she lost control of her spell. It affected me and a few other things in the room. I saw things in the room grow extra stuff. The plants grew some extra vines and leaves, the books grew more pages and I grew four extra hooves. It was actually painless.Trixie and I were speechless for a few moments. She then offered to try to fix me, but I told her not to. I did not trust her abilities.

I started to freak out. She told me she would go and get Luna. I looked at her notes after she left. I saw she was practicing some kind of healing spell that rejuvenate injured parts of your body. A few minutes later Princess Celestia, Princess Twilight, Princess Luna, and Trixie appeared in the room. Luna and Twilight tried to hold back a laugh but failed. Thankfully Twilight had a solution to my problem. It was Discord. Since chaos was his speciality.

Twilight left and came back with Discord. Discord liked my new look. He said it fit my name nicely. He also said I could make more money from my concerts by playing more instruments. That actually made sense but I was not going to do that. He turned me back to normal after a few minutes of Twilight and him talking about why he should help.

I was too stressed to play at a concert and chose to go back to my home in Canterlot. Discord decided that he would play a song at the concert in my absence. I can only assume it will be his theme song. He and Vinyl really like that song. All the concert guests will get a free ticket as well. I will never understand why Princess Celestia chose to have Discord brought back. (Back on track) Princess Twilight and her friends chose to come with me to keep an eye on me. Just in case something happens. I have been home ever since then.

Your friend, Octavia.

Lyra put the letter down with some other papers. “That sounds like an interesting day. I wish my days were that exciting, but I know how my nights can be exciting.”

“And how is that?” asked Lemon Dreams.

Lyra smiled and blushed a little. “I sleep with Bon Bon.”

Bon Bon facehooved. “Don’t go telling our guests that we sleep together.”

Lyra giggled. “Does telling them embarrass you?”

“No, but-”

“Then it does not matter,” interrupted Lyra.

Bon Bon sighed. “I guess you're right. That does not give you a reason to go tell others of our personal life.

Lyra rolled her eyes. “Any pony who has lived here for more than a month could figure it out. It’s pretty obvious to any pony with a brain. You and I have lived together for so many years, and we do almost everything together.”

Bon Bon sighed again. “You're right, but I’m still annoyed about it. So I won't sleep with you tonight.”

Lyra’s ears flopped down. “Aww...that’s not fair.” Lyra stared at Bon Bon with wide eyes full of sadness and cuteness.

Bon Bon sat down on her hind legs. “Don’t give me that look, Lyra. It won't help you this time. I won't change my mind just because you look cute.”

“What about tomorrow?” asked Lyra.

“Sure,” replied Bon Bon.

Lyra’s face brightened up. “Do you promise? No! Do you Pinkie promise?”

“Yes I Pinkie promise.”

With her fore hooves crossed Lyra replied, “Say the oath.”

“Cross my heart and hope to fly. Stick a cupcake in my eye.”

Lyra’s smiled grew a little bigger. If you break your Pinkie promise, I will tell Pinkie pie that you made a Pinkie promise and broke it. We both know how that will turn out.”

Bon Bon smiled nervously. “You probably won’t have to tell her. I think she will already know. She is Pinkie Pie after all.”

Lemon Dreams opened the front door. “It’s getting late. I am going back to my orchard now.” She waved a hoof. “Bye, everypony.”

“Bye,” everypony said in unison. Lightwing cleared her throat dramatically when the door closed. “Lemon Dreams has left the building.”

Lyra walked over to a bookshelf. “Do you girls want to play a game before we go to bed?”

Bon Bon nodded her head. “Grab Dungeons and Dragons.” She saw a green glow to her right. “You got another letter from Octavia.”


The letter levitated to Lyra and she read it.

This is from Twilight and not Octavia, but it should be from Applejack. It’s for Lightwing. Sorry, Lyra.

Applejack has told me that her family will start building your home tomorrow. They will buy the supplies tomorrow. Don’t forget to pay them back. They should have it built by tomorrow night and painted by the next morning. So your restaurant should be opening the day after tomorrow. I told Octavia, Trixie, and Discord to come by your restaurant for the grand opening. I will be there as well. I sent a letter to Mayor Mare too. So most of Ponyville should be there as well.

Applebloom went to my home and asked Spike to send a letter to Princess Celestia, who then sent me the letter. Thats how we know you wanted a home built and how I sent Mayor Mare a letter.

The girls and I are spending the night at the castle and will be back at Ponyville tomorrow morning.

Have a nice night at Lyra and Bon Bon’s home.

A knock was heard at the door. The door opened revealing a blue unicorn with a gray and dark-blue mane. She was humming a song to herself. “I brought your gift, Lyra.” Her eyes focused on the their game. “Am I interrupting your game?”

Lyra smiled. “Thanks for bring Stone of Orichalcos and the Green Diamond of Courage from Mt. Tamaranch Museum, Colgate. It was expensive. We have not started the game. Do you want to join us?”

I wish I didn’t have to give you these artifacts. Unfortunately...you are the only one I would trust. Colgate levitated the gift to Lyra’s chair. “I do not have any plans for the rest of the day. I would love to play with you, Bon Bon, and your friend.”


The four ponies played Dungeons and Dragons into the late hours of the night. After their game, Colgate went home and the others went to bed.