• Published 17th Mar 2014
  • 661 Views, 7 Comments

Stopping the Future That the past Creates - Yoshi1990



A pegasus from a dark future travels back in time to try and stop the future from taking place.

  • ...
3
 7
 661

Chapter 12: New Mission

Lightwing and Tracy exited the spaceship docking building and began their eight minute walk to a temple. Once again, Lightwing payed no attention to all the stares she got from the locals. The top of the temple could be seen from anywhere in town. It was the tallest building and the second widest in the town.


Tracy and Lightwing stopped just outside of the temple. Lightwing asked in a nervous voice. “Am I allowed in there?”

“Yes.”

Lightwing began pacing around nervously. “But that’s a temple built to worship your goddess...and I’m considered an evil creature on this world.”

“You need to go in there with me.” Tracy firmly stated. “The Tree of Life needs to talk to you. Our goddess knew you would come here and even where you would appear. Did you think it was just an accident that a huge crowd was there surrounding you right when you got here? She has been telling our whole species of your arrival since our freedom from the evil unicorn. Every creature on the planet knows of you.”

Lightwing stopped pacing. “Alright, I’ll go in there. I’m obviously expected.”

“Just be quiet when we are inside. Don’t say anything unless something is said to you first.”


Tracy opened the door to the temple, and the two entered it. The floor of the temple was all dirt. The temple was filled with hundreds of plants of different types, all lined up in rows on each side of the building. All were singing a beautiful song in perfect harmony. Tracy joined in the singing. Too bad for Lightwing she did not speak or understand their natural language. On the walls were murals of many types of plants. On the back wall was a huge mural of the Tree of Life. Also in the back was a large green emerald statue of a tree. After five minutes of the plants singing, all of them stopped singing at the exact same time. It kind of freaked Lightwing out.


The statue in the back glowed bright and a green light shot out across the soft floor straight toward Lightwing and Tracy. Silence filled the temple as Tracy and Lightwing walked up toward the glowing statue.


Tracy was first to break the silence. “Lightwing, touch the statue with your front legs.”

“Hooves,” answered Lightwing.

“Yeah, those. Then close your eyes, and the Tree of Life will speak to you.”


Lightwing did as she was told and stood on her hind legs and touched the statue with both her forehooves. She closed her eyes and felt a magic energy engulf her. She could hear a small sweet voice in her head.


Do not be afraid to open your mind to me. I am not here to hurt you, but I can not help you if you do not open your mind.

I’m not afraid.

Why are you lying to yourself and me? You can not hide your fear from yourself.

I’m sorry...I just don’t like other entities in my mind. I have had a few bad experiences with other entities in my mind.

Every creature has bad experiences, but you can not let those hold you back.

How do you know I was lying to you if you’re not in my mind?

You apoligised, and then you admitted you lied when you asked your question. Also, if you were not afraid, you would not have closed off your mind and put up your strongest defense. You might have closed off your mind and have a small defence in order to be cautious, but you put up your strongest defense. That tells me you are afraid.

I guess I did admit to lying. Again, I’m sorry I lied to you. Why do I need to open my mind to you if I can talk to you just like this?

In order for me to help you get home, you need my magic, and I can not give it to you if you do not open your mind to me.

That makes sense. I really don’t want to do this. The last time I had an entity in my mind...I was trapped in a twelve-thousand-year nightmare! And the time before...well that one was OK. Princess Luna is nice. But the time before that…I don’t want to think about that. I hope I won’t regret this. I’m now going to...open my mind.

Good job getting over your fear. Now you must keep your mind open as I explore it. In order for you to use my full power, I must have access to all of your mind and you must be able to accept it. Only together can I save you.

So...when can you send me home?

Only after you find the Emerald Leaves.

Figures it would not be free. But I know why I must find them. The Emerald Leaves are how you transfer your magic to others. Tracy told me this. Thanks for sending her to help me. Is there anything else I need to know, or can I start my treasure hunt?

There are a few more things. Your treasure is in a secret cave in the Castle of the Unicorn King. The castle is in the Mysterious Oak Woods. There is a diamond in the throne room. It contains a great evil power within it, but will only be unlocked when it is used to open a portal to your world. This diamonds is indestructible at this time. After you find your prize, the dragon enemy of yours will return again. You can stop him for good with my powers. Then I will send you home. You must find the other half of the diamond when you get back and bring them together. For only then can you destroy the diamond and the evil within.

So I need to save this world too. That dragon is so annoying. Why can’t he stay dead?! So is that all I need to know?

Yes.

Do you have a name?

Yes.

May I have the honor of knowing the name of the one who helped me get home?

I will tell you my name but you can not tell any other creature. Do you understand?

I understand completely. I will never say your name to any creature here or on my world.

Alright. My name is Yggdrasil.


Lightwing felt the magic leave her. She opened her eyes and saw Tracy and all the other plants in the temple.


“Welcome back. Did you learn how to get back home?”

“Yes,” replied Lightwing. “How long was I standing here?”

“About three seconds.”

“What? I have to remember to not question magic.”


Lightwing followed Tracy out of the temple back to her home. To Lightwing’s surprise, Tracy already knew of everything. Lightwing was expecting to pack a lot of supplies, but Tracy just put on a necklace and said they were ready to leave. The two went back to the spaceship docking building and Tracy paid a pilot to take them to the Mysterious Oak Woods.


Tracy waved to the pilot as she left the ship. “Thanks for the ride, Lily.”

Lily, rolled her eyes. “That’s what friends are for. I don’t know how you can walk around with a pony and not be afraid. Your new name is Crazy Tracy. Don’t you ever wonder if she will eat you?”

“At first I was a little worried,” Tracy said with an awkward smile. “But I got over the fear as I got to know her. She is a nice creature once you get past the fact she eats our species. We all know that the Tree of Life trusts her, and that means we should trust her too.”

“I’m still going to call you Crazy Tracy. You have a strange forest to explore. So you better get off my spaceship.”

Tracy left the spaceship and watched it fly away. “So...pony-girl, are you ready to enter this dangerous forbidden place?”

Lightwing was watching the dark clouds over the dark forest. She let out a sigh as she sat down. “I think you should tell me about this place first.”

“Alright,” replied Tracy as she sat down too. “This place was created when the evil unicorn opened a portal to our world. The evil unicorn traveled between the two worlds many times. Every time he opened the portal, it weakened the barrier between our worlds and parts of both our worlds merged and created this forest. This forest is is very strange and unnatural. The trees are not alive enough to communicate with us but they still grow as if they are living creatures. The plants here grow without sunlight. Most of the plants here eat each other and the weather never changes. It’s just a strange place. We need to be careful.”

“Sounds dangerous. Are you sure you want to go in there with me?”

“Yes. Let’s get going.”


The two of them took their first steps into the dark forest. After a minute of walking , it was almost too dark to see anything. Tracy’s necklace glowed and two smaller pendants with glowing stones in them appeared.


Lightwing put on the new pendant with a smile. “What else does that special necklace of yours do?”

Tracy casually waved her leaf-hands. “It’s just a storage device. I have all the supplies we need in it.”


With light to guide them, they continued their journey. The only plants to be seen were trees and bushes. The quest was oddly quiet for the first ten minutes.


The two reached a circular clearing in the mess of the forest. It was about thirty feet wide. Lightwing’s eyes scanned the clearing thoroughly. “It looks safe...too safe. There isn’t a single form of life in this clearing. It’s just a pile of dirt. I say we fly over it.”

“I disagree,”replied Trace nervously. “I say we test it and see what is really here. We should know what to expect as we continue. Lets throw a rock or two in there and watch what happens.” Tracy grabbed a small rock and hurled it into the clearing. The rock hit the dirt and rolled a few inches before a small plant popped out of the ground and swiftly disappeared back into the ground with the rock. “Did you see that? It was some kind of red plant and it had white dots on it.”

“My vote is still to fly over this place. Hop onto my back and I’ll take off.” Tracy jumped onto the back of her friend. Lightwing flapped her wings, bringing up dust as she became airborne. A small white-spotted red plant popped up from in the clearing. It had obviously been alerted by the wind her wings made. It chomped at the air with its sharp teeth. Lightwing stuck her tongue out in a mocking way as she slowly flew over the clearing and the mini plant. Three more of the same plant popped up and chomped at the air too. ”You can’t get me from down there,” Lightwing mocked. “Better luck next time.” Lightwing continued mocking the strange plants as she flew over them. Tracy jumped off once they reached the other side of the clearing. Lightwing smiled with pride as she landed. “I told you flying was...OUCH!” She said as something bit her left hind leg. Lightwing turned around with anger. She bit off the head of the plant that had attacked her.

Tracy stared in shock. “You just...ate it.”

Lightwing swallowed the now chewed up plant. “A little spicy but good. It sealed its fate when it bit me first. Now it knows my teeth are bigger.” Lightwing jumped toward one of the small red plants. It vanished into the ground as she landed next to it. “Aww, you don’t want to play any more. Was I too mean?”


The ground shook a little as eight medium-sized versions of the red plant popped up in between Lightwing and Tracy, effectively cutting them off from each other. Tracy did not like the fact that they were as tall as her. The ground shook again more violently as more of these new medium sized plants popped up and formed a circle around the clearing.


Tracy peaked over the top of the white-spotted plants, with a worried face. “Are you going to be alright?”

Lightwing forced out a laugh. “Of course I’ll be alright. I can just fly over them if things get too tough.” Lightwing felt the ground vibrate a little. She quickly jumped to a new spot. She looked back to see one of those mean plants in the spot she just left. She jumped again as she felt the same thing. I think I know how can beat these things. If I time my moves right, I can get out of their way and attack them as they come up.


Lightwing focused on feeling the motion of the ground, waiting for the small vibrations made by the moving plants. There it was, she could feel her enemy coming. She raised her hind legs milliseconds before the plant popped up. A second later, the plant hissed as it was crushed under her hind legs. She repeated this process three more times before the plants began to counter attack by delaying their attacks.


Lightwing smiled as she let a plant bite her. “You fell right into my trap.” It hissed as she ripped its head off of its stem and used it as a weapon. “Say bye to your head too,” she used her new weapon to bite the stem of a different plant, thus disconnecting its head. She jumped into the air with excitement. “Now I have two weapons!” With twice the firepower, she jumped around disconnecting other plant heads from their stems. She continued having fun for about a minute.


The strange biting plants stopped coming up. This puzzled Lightwing because the wall that blocked her from leaving was still up. Lightwing stood there and caught her breath. She did not mind the thirty second break. The ground shook violently as a row of these plants that stretched all the way across the clearing popped up. Another row popped up after that and another. Lightwing realised the plants were taking over the battlefield. She opened her wings and took to the air.


“What now ya spotted piranhas?” Two plants zoomed off of the ground toward Lightwing, She ducked under them. “Wow, those are long stems.” Five more shot toward her. She dodged two. She screamed in pain as the other three bit her and held on tight. She quickly started biting them back but for every one that was disconnected, two more latched onto her. With eight strange plants on her, she gave up trying to bite them and focused on trying to fly away.


Every plant that was not connected to a struggling pegasus went back into the ground. Tracy gasped as she saw Lightwing in a tough spot. “Should I come help you?”

“No! I’m not dead yet. I can still win this...I just need to think of how.” Lightwing was slowly being pulled toward the ground. “These things would pull your fragile plant body apart in no time. So stay away.”


Tracy stayed put.


A huge sinkhole appeared in place of the clearing. Tracy looked over the edge and was happy she listened to her flying friend. She would be inside a huge, hungry and scary plant if she had not listened. “Pony-girl! We have a problem. I think you made the mother plant angry. This has bigger teeth than you.”

Lightwing glanced behind her and saw the twenty five foot wide plant head in the ground. She continued trying to escape but with no success. She looked back at the plant. Trying to think of a way to escape. Those teeth are spread apart enough that I can fit in between them...I don’t like this idea. “I hope this works.”


Tracy watched in horror as Lightwing let herself get pulled into the monster of a plant. She watched the plant close its huge mouth with her friend inside it. If Tracy had had eyebrows, she would have raised one when she saw the monster plant twitching.


Seconds later Lightwing was spit out of the plant at full speed. She flew through the air screaming. “Victory!” She landed next to Tracy and collapsed. “No...no plant is eating me for lunch.”

Tracy used her necklace to make something appear and then attached it to Lightwing. “How did you pull that victory off?”

Lightwing could feel her injuries being healed. “I saw that I could fit in between the monster's teeth. I figured I would eat my enemy from inside. As you could see, I was not going to win from the outside. I figured it would spit me out if I started eating it from within. If something bit the inside of my mouth, I would spit it out.” Lightwing gave the small device back. “Thanks for healing me. I needed it. Too bad it doesn’t heal my tiredness. I need a five minute break.”


Five minutes later, Tracy said, “The five minute break is over, pony-girl.”

“Alright,” said Lightwing as she began walking through the dark forest. “Why do you keep calling me pony-girl, when you know my name?

“I like it. Do you want me to stop?”

“No”

“Do we have any idea where we are going?” asked Tracy.

Lightwing looked at Tracy with a smile. “Nope. Too bad I can’t fly over the forest. Those storm clouds are trouble. This place is dull...all the trees and bushes look the same.”

“I’m sure we will see something exciting again.”

Lightwing stopped walking and looked to her left. “Hey, look over here.”

Tracy looked and saw some small white flowers. “Are you happy now. You got your different color plants...aside from the obvious purple flower next to you.”

“I wonder what the white flowers do?” asked Lightwing. “Lets not find out.” Lightwing and Tracy continued on their way.


The forest was slowly getting colder. The two explorers had no more encounters for the next hour. They decided to rest for the night. Tracy teleported a small device out from her necklace and used it to put up a shield that kept the temperature at a specific level and stopped any form of plant life from entering. They both went to sleep.


Tracy woke up. She saw that Lightwing was sitting next to her and already awake. “Good morning pony-girl...although it’s a little dark to be morning.”

“Then it’s a good thing we have those glowing pendants. It’s time to move out.”


Four minutes after they started, they encountered a strange group of blue bushes.Tracy was mesmerized by the color of the plants and wouldn’t stop looking at them.

“Tracy, are you feeling ok?” said Lightwing with a worried face. “Do you need to get more sleep? You’re acting weird.”

“I’m fine. I’m great.” Replied Tracy without breaking eye contact with the blue plants. “Can’t you see the beautiful plants in front of us? They’re simply stunning.”

“They’re just blue bushes...the white flowers were better looking than them. Lightwing shook her head. “Even the red plant with white spots looked nicer. And it was mean!“ She moved herself in between Tracy and the blue plants. “Stop looking at these things. They’re messing with your head.”

“Looking at what?” asked Tracy.

“Behind me are strange blue bushes. They were controlling you somehow. I guess it only works if you can see them. I don’t know why they had no effect on me. I guess my mind is too advanced for them,” she said with a smile.

Tracy giggled at her thought. Or your mind is not advanced enough and they don’t see you as a threat.

“Why you laughing?” asked Lightwing. “It doesn’t matter. Turn around and get on my back. I’ll fly us over them. You just keep your eyes closed until I say otherwise.” Tracy did as she was told and Lightwing flew for about two minutes. “You can open your eyes.”

“Finally,” she said as she opened her eyes. “I thought I was lost in darkness forever.”

“You were lost...until you were shown the light.”

Tracy forced out a laugh. “You’re so right. There’s so much light in this dark forest. I can totally see the light now.”

Lightwing rolled her eyes in response.


The two explored for two hours with little trouble from the forest. They saw several small forms of plant life wandering the forest. The biggest threat was from a group of small purple plants that tried to eat Lightwing. They were no bigger than Lightwing’s hoof. They were easily dealt with. She called them mini eggplants, but Tracy had no clue what an eggplant was.


Lightwing sighed as she saw another thirty foot circular clearing. “I really didn’t want to see another one of these. Get on my back and I’ll zoom over it at full speed.”

“Are you sure you can make it?”

“Yes.” Tracy got onto the pegasus and held on tight.

Lightwing turned around and started to fly the opposite way “Wrong way, pony-girl.”

“I know,” replied Lightwing. “I need to build up speed.” Lightwing turned around again and took off at full speed. To both their surprise, no plants shot out of the ground as they passed over the clearing. Lightwing landed nicely on the other side. “That was not what I expected.” She kicked a small rock into the clearing but nothing happend. “There was a huge monster plant in the last clearing...where is this one? Not even the small ones are popping up.”

“Forget about it,” said Tracy. “I don’t think you need to go through that again.”

“One moment,” replied Lightwing. She slowly walked into the clearing, being extra cautious. She stood in the center for a minute, expecting the ground to open up. Lightwing quickly flew to a tree and broke off a small branch. She hovered back to the clearing and tossed the branch onto the ground but nothing happend. She sighed in defeat and hovered over toward Tracy.

Tracy looked at, Lightwing with confusion. “Are you trying to get yourself eaten?”

“No, I was just doing an experiment.”

Then you will be happy to know that it was a success. Just look behind you.”


Lightwing glanced behind her and saw seven small red plants with white spots slowly eating the branch. She slowly began to hover closer. One by one, the familiar plants went back into the ground as she got closer. She backed up to see if they would pop back up. Lightwing smiled as she saw them start eating the branch again.


Lightwing went back to Tracy. “They seem to be afraid of me. I guess its buddy told it to watch out for me.”

“That’s one theory,” stated Tracy. “It could also be the same plant. They could be two separate plants but be connected with their roots. That would support your theory.”

Lightwing’s eyes brightened with an idea. “Your night-shield protects us from the weather, so why can’t we use it to protect us from the storm clouds above us? Flying above the trees would make this trip much easier.”

“I don’t like that idea,” said Tracy with a shake of her head.

“Please...,” begged Lightwing. “Just a quick look around.”

“Make it quick.” Reluctantly, Tracy mounted Lightwing and activated the shield. “You have five minutes before I turn off the shield.”


Lightwing spread her wings and took to the air. Lightwing began zooming over the trees carefully watching the ground for clues. She did not notice that a bolt of lightning struck the shield around her. As Lightwing was frantically searching for anything to help, Tracy saw a beam of light shining out from the forest into the clouds.


Tracy smirked as she realised that she probably found their target. Lightwing continued watching the ground for any clues. Tracy stayed quiet for the next three minutes. “You can stop looking now, pony-girl.”

“I still have two minutes!” the frantic pegasus argued.

“I know,” replied Tracy with a hint of sarcasm. She continued with more sarcasm. “I am feeling generous, so I shall give you an extra ten minutes to search.”

“I don’t like your tone of voice, plant-girl,” growled Lightwing.

Tracy patted her pegasus friend on the back. “I would not like my tone either. I am going to take a ten minute nap. Make sure you tell me when you find the castle or a sign of some sort.” Tracy relaxed and began watching the storm clouds. The bolts of random lightning were enticing to her. About every twenty seconds, a bolt of lightning would strike the shield.

The ten minutes went by faster than Tracy wanted. With a sigh she said, “Time is up, Lightwing. Have you tried looking in front of you? I know the ground can be fun to watch but you should look where you are going.”


Lightwing looked up and away from the ground. She facehooved as she saw a beam of light piercing through the forest and clouds in the distance. With a deep breath, she flew full speed toward their target.