• Published 2nd Nov 2013
  • 990 Views, 40 Comments

The Journals of Silas Sombra - DreamWings



Follow the adventures of young Sombra and Discord as they make their way through the mental institution they're forced to call home.

  • ...
2
 40
 990

Chapter Eight- The Visitors

Silas and Diddy were sat on the floor of the Living Space trying to have a conversation with Nana. Siren and Bow Wow, the only two ponies who could really understand what the mare was saying, were away with their doctors for special testing and Petie was speaking to a counsellor about an incident the day before. This just left Silas and Diddy with Nana and they were more than happy to be there. Silas had always wanted to learn a bit of Nana speak. Her language fascinated him. Diddy was there more for the company than for actually caring. Ever since Visitors Day he’d spent a lot of time with the inmates of his new prison. He felt that he may as well bond with them since his old bonds were almost non-existent. The most he could get from the past was a few letters every now and again, which he always returned. He was still trying and failing to get in touch with Tia.

“What do you think of Diddy, Nana?” Silas asked.

The filly tilted her head. “Och, mya ti noda.”

“Noda—that means funny,” Diddy said.

Silas shook his head. “Actually, I think she means silly.”

“Aren’t they the same thing?”

“Peta ta melone, Sialca,” Nana said, pushing Silas’s chest.

He smiled and pushed her chest with his own hoof. “Er cooda ma teleca noda, Nana,” he said. The filly grimaced and shook her head fiercely.

“What did you say to her, Silas? She doesn’t seem to like it,” Diddy said.

Silas grinned from ear to ear (which is quite an amazing fete considering where he lived. Diddy could never understand how he managed to be so happy all of the time, bar Sombra attacks). “I have no idea. Something about carrots and cheese, I think.”

“Actually, what I think you said,” Rainbow Dragon said, walking up to them, “was that you wanted to marry the poor mare. I’ll leave you to assume which words meant what.” Rainbow Dragon was the most efficient pony in Nana speak in the entire hospital. He was even better than Siren, and nopony could challenge him on this title. Silas apologised to Nana, assuring her he didn’t want to marry her and wouldn’t any time soon.

“Ma noda parr teleca por, Discord?” Nana had shuffled closer to Diddy and he looked up at Rainbow Dragon confused.

“Who’s she talking to?” he asked.

“Discord—I think she means you, Diddy,” Rainbow Dragon said. “That’s her pet name for you as far as I remember.”

Nana was leaning on Diddy’s shoulder and Silas was chuckling at the sight of it. Diddy didn’t look very comfortable. “Is that me, Nana? Discord?”

Nana fluttered her eyelashes. “Ma noda telecona da Discord.”

“Yeah, Discord, ma noda da doda,” Silas said, now full on laughing as Diddy tried to move away from the filly. She didn’t seem to care about boundaries when Diddy was concerned. She wasn’t even this close with Siren and, as far as Silas was concerned, there were no two ponies closer than Siren and Nana. Unless you counted Siren and Bow Wow, or Siren and Chrysi, or Siren and Split-Ends (a tall filly with the wildest hair he’d ever seen). Actually now he thought about it Siren was close with a lot of fillies in N.E.M.I. . Strange.

“Yeah, how about we don’t call me that ever again?” Diddy said, annoyed, crossing his arms. “It makes me sound like a villain from a cartoon comic.”

“Well, I suppose since you’re clearly busy there’s no point of me telling you about the surprise waiting for you in the corridor.” Rainbow Dragon was holding in his own laughter. Diddy had thought it strange to be seeing him during the day. Unless it was a special occasion, like when the young patients got a special treat for good behaviour, he was on duty during the night-time. It must have been a very special surprise if he’d come in for it specially.

“What is it?” Diddy asked, looking up excitedly. Nana was very sad when he stood up to go and see. Rainbow Dragon stopped him before he got to the door.

“Now, you have to wait. It’s going to come to you.”

Silas hadn’t said anything about the surprise. He knew what it was and he knew how much Diddy was going to love it. He’d planned it himself, with the help of Rainbow Dragon and Morning Glory. He’d even got some help from Nurse Tempe, who today was wearing one of the cleanest uniforms he’d ever seen. She’d even done her hair nicely and had bothered to put some make-up over her bland grey coat. She’d never tried this hard when Rosen or Lilac had come, Silas noticed. Then again she wasn’t a crystal pony, so maybe it didn’t mean as much to her—not to mention they were friends with Silas, who was Nurse Temple’s mortal enemy (at least she acted like it to Silas).

Diddy hadn’t taken his eyes off of the door and others had begun to notice. Chrysi and her friends were giggling and gossiping in the corner, ready to tell anypony that missed it what happened. Nana was leaning against the padded-wall, muttering and mumbling to herself about ‘gresonia’ and ‘piricons’ (these were about the only words Silas really new for she said them every time either a new pegasus or unicorn arrived).

The door slowly opened and the foals and fillies leaned forward in expectation. Nopony was more excited than Silas and Diddy, each for entirely different reasons. To Diddy’s disappointment the only surprise he could see was Princess Lilac on a non-visiting day. He frowned and his face drooped. The Princess walked in and Diddy turned away. It wasn’t rudeness on his part. He still hadn’t got over how much she reminded him of Tia and that upset him.

Silas had stars in his eyes. Diddy saw them. Of course he’d be excited, he thought. This is more his surprise than mine.

“Come on, Diddy, take a look,” Rainbow Dragon said, urging him to turn back to the door. Diddy shook his head obstinately.

“I won’t.”

“Well, that’s a shame. We were rather hoping to speak to you,” said a colt’s voice coming in the direction of where Princess Lilac had been. Diddy recognized the voice and his head snapped round. He looked at the half-breed prince with tears in his eyes. And the prince wasn’t alone. As well as Lilac there was also a pegasus—a pegasus with a very stern, stressed smile. It didn’t look like he’d ever laughed in his life, but Diddy knew different.

“Miamore?” He looked at the prince. “Gallophad?” He looked at the pegasus. “Is it really you?”

“It is,” Miamore said with a grin. “It’s great to see you again, Diddy, you little bundle of fun, you.”

Tears were trickling down Diddy’s cheeks, quickly turning into a waterfall of happiness. He charged forward and threw himself around the necks of the two brothers. They hugged him back, all enjoying the warmth of each other’s bodies. Miamore and Gallophad were just as glad to see him as he was them.

“You came. I can’t believe you came. Is Tia with you?” Diddy let go of them and ran to the door but there was nopony else there. Miamore pulled a face.

“Sorry, Diddy. I’m afraid you’ll just have to put up with us for the day.”

“I hope you’re okay with that,” Gallophad said. “We know we’re poor substitutes, but we did really want to see you.”

Diddy sighed but then smiled. He was trying to put on a brave face and Miamore knew it. All of the visitors knew that Diddy would much rather have seen Tia at the door than her two older brothers—as much as they loved him. Lilac understood that. Silas had acted the same when she’d come to visit without Rosen. It was hard for them, she knew. But, being royal you just couldn’t always afford to visit the ponies you loved. And being ponies, you didn’t always feel brave enough to visit the ponies that needed you most.

“Well, since we’re here, why don’t we do something together?” Lilac said. “I believe N.E.M.I. has arranged for a special treat due to our visit.”

Nurse Tempe came forward and bowed awkwardly, her face almost hitting the floor and her front legs buckling under her nerves. “Yes, your highness,” she said (Silas knew she was talking to Miamore alone). “We have some games and some sweet puddings coming for you, as per your arrangement.”

“Why, thank you,” Miamore said, helping her back up. She swooned lightly at the touch of his hoof. Silas almost puked. “That sounds amazing.”

“Chocolate milk and pie for everypony!” Silas screamed. Miamore and Lilac laughed; Gallophad giving a very straight-faced rendition of a chuckle.

“Chocolate milk and pie for everypony!” they screamed and cheers came through the Space. By the time Siren, Petie and Bow Wow arrived back all of the food was gone and the party was over.

Diddy slept peacefully that night, aware that, though Tia hadn’t come, there were still plenty of ponies out there who cared for him. Maybe being here wasn’t going to be a bad as he’d imagined.