• Published 2nd Nov 2013
  • 990 Views, 40 Comments

The Journals of Silas Sombra - DreamWings



Follow the adventures of young Sombra and Discord as they make their way through the mental institution they're forced to call home.

  • ...
2
 40
 990

Chapter Five- Filly Friends

Rosen walked up to the front door of NEMI with the small crowd of visitors. She couldn’t wait to get inside. She was really looking forward to seeing Silas. It’d been a while since she’d managed to make it here to see him and she’d missed him. There was nopony better in this world than Silas and she knew it. She giggled in excitement; hoping nopony would notice her happiness. Everypony else looked so sullen and sad to be there that she felt it’d be rude to be happy in front of them. She didn’t want to make them even more upset.

But at the same time she just couldn’t hold it in. The Crystal Empire had been so boring without Silas there to play with. Her cousin Lilac was always such a busy pony that there was no point in asking her if she wanted to play a game. Not to mention Lilac was really boring in games compared to Silas, though she’d never say this to her cousin’s face. She wouldn’t want to upset her. That’s what she liked about Silas. She didn’t have to worry about upsetting his feelings. He wouldn’t mind if she told him he was the stupidest colt alive; he’d just shrug it off, laugh and pull on her mane. Silas could confront even the darkest of moods and make a joke out of it. Everypony came out of a meeting with Silas with a massive smile on their face.

It’s not like Rosen hadn’t met Sombra before. Of course she had—many times, but it didn’t stop her love for Silas; just like her work didn’t stop Silas loving her back. It didn’t matter how busy she was or how scary he was they were PFF’s (Pony Friends Forever) and they always would be. Why? Because each of them knew the real them, each of them loved the real them, and so each of them accepted the other them. It was hard not to when you had such a good relationship. You try being angry with somepony who’d gone out and made you a giant Crystal Berry Pie when you’d needed to be cheered up. It’d taken him three days but it’d been worth it. Their friendship had been cemented forever afterwards. Rosen knew from then on that no matter what pain Silas caused she’d always be there for him. Only one thing could stop her—but she didn’t want to think about that. He’d never do that to her. Not even Sombra would do that to her. Silas wouldn’t let him.

The orderly, Enderstorm, a really subdued pony she’d met before, came out and showed them all in. A team of nurses and orderlies stood inside, waiting. The ponies separated into their different wards and followed their guide/warden to their friends and family. Rosen tagged on to Morning Glory’s line for the foal’s ward. There were four other ponies along with her, all coming for various patients. Rosen spotted Petie’s mother in the crowd. She raised an eyebrow. Petie wasn’t going to be happy to see her. Morning Glory seemed to have the same thought.

“I’m sorry, Mrs. Griffon,” she said to the sullen bird, “but, if it’s okay, Enderstorm will take you to your son instead.” Enderstorm came over and the now even more sullen lion-bird followed him. Best to keep Petie and her away from large crowds. There was sure to be a fight. Rosen didn’t think her visit would last very long, or be very productive. She knew Petie well enough by now to know how much he despised his mother.

The foal’s ward was a fair walk from the entrance. Rosen didn’t mind really; Morning Glory was a great pony to speak to. Both of them loved Silas and both of them liked to make ponies happy. Loved it in fact.

“How’s he been?” Rosen asked, hopefully.

“Not ready just yet,” Morning Glory said with a smile. “He’s doing great though. He’s even been given a job of his own.”

“Really?” They’d given him a job? They’d trusted him with a job? There was hope then?

“Yes, there’s a new foal—little sweetie, he is—and Silas is looking after him. Every foal needs a friend, especially in here.” Morning Glory’s smile never faded, no matter how sad the topic was. Rosen smiled back.

“Oh, well, Silas is great at being a friend,” she said.

“I know he is. Little Diddy’s doing a lot better with Silas there to help him. I’m so proud of them both,” Morning Glory said. She noticed the frowns of the parents behind them and said to them, “All of our patients are great friends. They’re as happy as can be with each other. Friendship is the most magical cure we can give them.” And with that final sentence some of the parents managed to smile back at her. Rosen grinned. Morning Glory could make even the most hardened heart feel happy. The patients would be lost without her, and so would the visitors.

“Rosen can vouch for me there, can’t you?” The nurse winked at Rosen and Rosen nodded her head.

“Oh yes, Silas has never been happier than when he’s with friends. He says it makes him feel like himself.” She didn’t want to have to lie and tell them that Silas had actually been Sombra a few times when he’d been with her. They didn’t need to know that Sombra wasn’t affected by friendship nearly as much. The only thing that could stop him was love—and friendship just wasn’t as strong. He was like the opposite of a changeling—he hated emotions and happiness. If he had it his way Chrisi, one of NEMI’S resident changelings, wouldn’t be alive. Her love got on his nerves. In this respect Rosen should’ve got on his nerves too, but somehow he managed to tolerate her. Rosen always assumed Silas got in the way of pure hatred directed towards her. Oh, she couldn’t wait to see him again.

Morning Glory and her group stopped in front of the ward door. Nurse Temple stood in front of it, a hoof held out in front of her.

“Silas’ visitor?” she asked. Rosen stared at her confused and put her hoof up.

“That’s me.”

“Very well. Come with me.”

Morning Glory shrugged at her when Rosen looked up quizzically. She had no idea what was going on. Something must’ve happened. She led the rest of the visitors inside the ward as Rosen followed the other surly nurse.

They stopped outside Silas’ bedroom door.

“I’m afraid he had an attack again right before you arrived,” Nurse Temple said, not even a note of sympathy on her face. Rosen had to try hard to not cry.

“He did?” she said, with a whimper.

“Yes. He’s not fit to be seen at the moment—or safe.” Nurse Temple looked to the bedroom door and opened it. “The doctor wondered if you’d be able to speak to somepony else instead.” Inside the room a small creature, rather a mish-mash of other creatures, sat on Silas’ chair. He smiled sheepishly at the small light blue filly standing in the doorway.

“This is Dandelion,” Nurse Temple told her. Diddy waved and Rosen waved back.

“You’re Rosen, Silas’ friend?” Diddy asked. She nodded.

“You’re Diddy, Silas’ new friend?” Rosen asked. He nodded. She knew most of the ponies in the ward by this time so it was a safe bet that the strange oddly-cute creature in front of her was the Diddy Morning Glory had spoken about.

Nurse Temple looked at Rosen with a stern expression. Rosen swallowed the fear she always felt when speaking to this particular nurse (she could never understand how Silas managed to be brave enough to answer back to her all the time) and smiled.
“I’d love to speak to him,” she said. Nurse Temple nodded and sat down outside whilst Rosen went up to Diddy.

“You remind me of Tia,” he said, looking directly into her the eyes. She stared at him.

“Who?”

“My filly friend—or at least she was my filly friend,” he said. He looked sadly down at the floor. Rosen felt a pang on her heart and patted him on the shoulder.

“Well, I’ll be your filly friend now, if you want,” she said. He lifted his head and nodded.

“I’d like that.”

“But you know, if she really is anything like me she’ll be your filly friend for life.”

Diddy sighed. “I doubt it.”

“You’ll never know unless you to try. Ask her to come and visit you.” Rosen thought of how long it had taken Silas to write to her. He’d been really ashamed of himself after he’d been sent to NEMI—but, as soon as he’d had the courage, she’d come right away. She hoped the same could be said of Diddy’s friend Tia.

“Okay. I’ll try,” he said with a smile.

“And even if she doesn’t, I’ll still by your filly friend, I promise,” she said.

Diddy took a piece of paper and began to write his letter. Rosen helped him when he was struggling to find the words to say. Oh please come, she thought, seeing the joy on the small thing’s face at the thought of his friend. Please come. She knew how disappointing it could be not to see your friend.

'Silas? Where are you?'

Author's Note:

If you want to know the answer to Diddy's letter then go to The Diary of Diddy Discord, the first story in this collection. Thank you.