• Published 27th Jul 2013
  • 4,536 Views, 51 Comments

Rainbow Dash's First Crush - Brian Jacko



Rainbow Dash finds her first crush in school, but how will her crush feel about her?

  • ...
12
 51
 4,536

Win His Heart

Outside, Rainbow Dash walked over to her Father with her head hanging low and her ears flat.

"What's the matter Dashie?" her father asked. "Did you have a bad first day of school?"

Rainbow Dash didn't look up at her Father. She kept her head hanging low and said, "I just wanted to make a friend, and I can't get this pony's attention." She looked for Soarin' and noticed that he happened to be having a race with the other colts. They would run from the flag pole, all the way back to the school building. They also would try to race each other again, but with their wings.

"Who did you want to befriend Dashie?" her father asked.

Rainbow wiped a tear from her eye and pointed to the little colt with the dark blue mane and tale. "His name is Soarin'," she said.

Her Father smiled. "I am surprised you're interested in befriending a colt. I figured you'd be a little too young to want to be friends with a colt. Why don't you go over there now and have a little race with him?

"But Dad, I don't like to race."

Her Father let out a laugh. "If your Mother ever heard those words come out of your mouth, she'd have a fit!" Rainbow's Father put his head to her flank and began to push her towards the colt that she was so obsessed with. "Just go on over and do your best. I bet if you can beat him, then you'll get his attention."

Rainbow took some steps away from her father and looked back at him with a worried look on her face. "But Dad...." she said.

Rainbow's Dad gave her a huge grin. "Don't be shy Rainbow. Give it your best shot. I'll be right here watching you! Don't worry what the other's may think. You have to win his heart!"

Rainbow walked over to the group of colts that were now lining up again. They would alternate the races between their hooves and their wings. This time they would be racing with their hooves.

One of the colts looked at her and began to laugh. "Hey guys look at this, a girl thinks she can play with us. Why don't you get lost and do some girly things!"

The other colts began to laugh except for Soarin'. He didn't say a word, but he kept his focus on the check point a head.

The words of her Father echoed through her mind.

"Don't worry what the other's may think. You have to win his heart!"

Rainbow Dash dwelled on the meaning of what it means to win his heart. Her mind was still so young and she couldn't piece it together and figure it out. Rainbow got into position next to the arrogant colt and got into ready position.

One of the ponies began to count down. "THREE! TWO! ONE! GO!"

Off they took running at full speed to the check point. Rainbow Dash was not a runner nor much of a good flier either at this time in her life, but she gave it her best. She did pretty well for her first race. She kept up with all the other colts, but she did tire out near the end and her lungs began to burn. Rainbow Dash slowed down as she came in last place. She looked over and noticed that all of the other colts were praising Soarin' for coming in first place.

After that race, each pony went home with their parents. Soarin's Mother did not show up yet so he stood by the school building waiting for her return.

Now was her chance. Rainbow Dash nervously went up to him and said, "Um, I tried to do my best, but you were too good in that race. My Daddy says I have to beat you in order to win your heart. Will you let me beat you so we can be friends?"

Soarin' stared at her with confusion written all over his face. He had no idea what in the world she was talking about by winning someone's heart and Rainbow Dash had no idea what it meant either. Just as he opened his mouth and tried to form a response to what she had said, he noticed that his Mother had finally arrived. Soarin' became distracted because he knew that his Mother had promised him that she would bring him an extra special slice of apple pie.

His Mother put the bag down and smiled as her little joyful colt came bounding over to her side.

The first thing he did was plunge his head into the bag and began devouring the pie as if he hadn't eaten in days.

Soarin's Mom looked down at him with concern and said, "Were you talking to that little filly, Soarin'? You two look so cute together! Why don't you go over there and share some of your pie with her?"

The moment when Soarin's Mother suggested that he go share his treat with Rainbow Dash, he picked his head up as he was already done eating.

Soarin's Mother gave him a rather concerned look and said, "Soarin' you really need to slow down with your food. You just missed out on a wonderful opportunity to have had a magical sharing experience with a new friend. Why don't we both go over to her and set up a play date with her?"

Soarin' looked back and noticed that Rainbow Dash was now walking back to her Father with her head hanging low. He turned back to his Mother and said, "I don't think she likes me."

"Why would you say that?" Soarin's Mother asked.

"Because she would have came here if she wanted to set up a play date. I want to go home now."

Soarin's Mother was not quite sure if her son's logic seemed very sound. "Ok, sweetheart, we can go home, but I hope you talk to her at another time. She seems to like you, I think."

Soarin' hopped onto her back and wrapped his front legs around her neck.

Rainbow Dash stood next to her Father as they both watched Soarin' leave.

"I don't think he understands," Rainbow said.

Rainbow's Dad let out a laugh and said, "Boys at this age tend to not always be with it. Girls are usually more on the ball when it comes to understanding things. Give him time, I'm sure he will talk to you sometime. Come on sweetie. Hop onto my back and we'll tell Mommy all about your exciting day."

Rainbow Dash hopped onto her Fathers back and held on to his neck. He took off and headed home with her.

When it was time for bed, she would dream plans and ideas on what else she could do to win Soarin's heart.