• Published 25th Jul 2013
  • 1,474 Views, 28 Comments

Redemption Is A Harsh Mistress - JMac



Merry Fairweather seeks redemption for a career as a villain. She runs into trouble making the transition to 'good guy.'

  • ...
1
 28
 1,474

Epilogue

Redemption is a Harsh Mistress

Epilogue

The alarm rang.

I got up and threw it out my window. From now on, I could get up when I got up, and the world could just wait for me. I never wanted to see an alarm clock ever again.

I’d just managed to put aside my disdain this one last time, and set my clock this morning. I still had to hide the obnoxious thing behind my bedside lamp, or I’d have never gotten to sleep. And I think I still had a nightmare or two. I can’t remember any details of the bad dreams, but I’m pretty sure that ticking was involved. Disturbing, but a distinct step up from dreaming that you’ve ruined somepony’s life.

I needn’t have bothered. I was too excited to sleep in. Not on the first official day of my new career. I had to get to work, at my new office.

My office. Not an office my boss had assigned me. Not a room at the corporate headquarters. My office. All mine.

I’d just been kicked out of an opulent corner office suite that I wasn’t half as pleased with.

Scooter was already there. He always did beat me in to work. Scooter was behind the front desk, organizing his things. Before he noticed me I saw him try three different positions for his mug. I guess he wanted the first thing any visitor saw to be the words “Merry’s Right Hoof And Wing.”

“Aren’t you a little eager?” I said. “Considering we have no appointments.”

“I wanted to make sure the painters spelled your name right,” Scooter answered. He indicated the window on the office door. In fresh paint it announced “Merry Fairweather – Things Done, Arrangements Made.”

“How do you feel, Merry?” asked Scooter.

“Better.” And I did feel better than I’d felt in years. Maybe someday I’ll be able to answer that I feel ‘good.’

I took the mug of hot tea Scooter had ready and waiting for me, and went to settle in behind my desk.

Almost immediately, Scooter stuck his head in the door. “Merry, there’s a ‘Mr. Smith’ to see you.”

“A client? Already?”

Scooter shrugged. “I guess Fred gives good word of mouth.”

The stallion Scooter led into my office was kidding himself if he thought wearing civvies fooled anypony. If he wasn’t with the guard I would eat my hat. Well…my second best hat.

My new customer stiffly took the seat opposite my desk. And I do mean stiff, he managed to sit at attention. I was dying to hear why this officer and gentle colt needed my services.

Not that I wasn’t sure I would take the job. If regular channels fail you, then I might be able to help through ‘alternate means,’ discretely and at negotiable rates. That was the service I was subtly advertising on the street.

Just convince me that your sob story is sincere, and I would gladly be the bad guy for your good cause. I hoped for a long career. Hopefully long enough for me to one day start thinking of myself as one of the good guys.

I leaned back in my chair, put my rear hooves up on my desk and crossed them, and folded my fore hooves behind my head (I understood this to be the traditional pose of those in my line of work).

“Please, ‘Mr. Smith,’” I encouraged my new client. “Go ahead and tell me what’s troubling you.”

Comments ( 14 )

So everything's juuuuust fine now. Reminds me of the third option from Tiger and Bunny: kick the bomb through the ceiling. I'm gonna say that that's what happened.

3002947

I applaud your problem solving methods and also your taste in anime.:pinkiehappy:

Beautiful. Think we'll see more of these folks?

This needs to be a series. It's Burn Notice, with Ponies.

This awesome story desperately needs sequel !!!!!!!!!!!!
iambrony.dget.cc/mlp/gif/1304556369713.gif

Must... have... MORE!

Is it just me, or is Scooter giving off vibes that he likes Merry? And I don't mean just "like", I mean crushing on her.

If that's the case and Merry doesn't notice, well ain't that ironic.

He seems quite hopeful, though.

Huh. That was a pretty pleasant short OC story. I really rather liked the character of Merry; somepony trying to turn over a new leaf, smart enough to know that she'd rather be seen as the "good guy" and smart enough to know that'll never truly be the case. It gave off a very sort of 1920-1930's Noir feeling, in a sense. Although it was rather short (short enough to have been just one chapter, in my own opinion) it still had nice characterization and good use of rounded OCs. The action was fast and punchy without being overly vivid or outrageous, and it managed to keep an air of mystery and drama. The ending clearly gives way for more goodness to come. Keeping an eye out.
- Lemon (The Lemon Squeezer)

... How did I miss this?! :pinkiegasp:

Heh. You know? This here could be a whole series of itself. She's certainly got the spice.

6069002 Yep, and the next Merry story is in my "to write later" queue. So many stories, so little time (I want to punch anyone who says they don't have any ideas in the face!).

Great little story. Good character development, very well written thrill, and distinct characters.

This counts as a sequel to sweet genius, does it not? I like the premise, and I liked the transition from the ticking bomb to the ticking click, but it's a little jarring to not see how the end of Fred's adventure turned out, even if I can probably guess what happened. Regardless, I would read a continuation.

And on that note, as you've probably noticed from all my comments by now, I've finished all of the stories related to Quiz. Overall, there was a lot to like, and you've earned yourself a follower(mostly due to basement of doom). So well done!

Login or register to comment