• Published 24th Jul 2013
  • 6,165 Views, 496 Comments

Only Bone Deep - The Grimm Reaper



I don't know who I am, I can't recall what I am. All I know is that I'm not like others and I'm in a forest with strange sounds around me and two younger but softer versions of me are picking on and even hurting another one. What

  • ...
21
 496
 6,165

5. Skullduggery

I notice Rainbow Dash is still, uneasily so. She seems to stare off into space... right at me. "I think I broke your idol, Scootaloo." I say, trying to quell the silence. Though it works, it doesn't really alter the subject.

"How... do you know if she's a virgin or not?" Rainbow Dash asks in a tone of voice that suggests if I don't answer correctly, I'm going to die all over again.

"Which part of amnesia have you not understood? I know general facts, but as to how I learned these facts, I cannot recall." I say. It clearly isn't the answer she was hoping for, but at least she cannot make an excuse to use my skull as a musical instrument. "Am I wrong in my claim, Scootaloo?" I ask, turning to the exceedingly abused filly. I can see she's trying to put on a brave face in front of both Rainbow Dash and myself, but the watering of the eyes is confirmation enough.

"Who... could have done this?!" Rainbow Dash says through grit teeth.

"Her Uncle, no doubt. Unless there's somepony else you haven't told anypony about?" I ask. Scootaloo shakes her head. Whether she means 'no, there's nopony else' or 'no, it wasn't my Uncle', I cannot say. I decide she means the former option and I stand to my full height.

"Ms. Dash, would you be so kind as to get Scootaloo cleaned up for me, please?" I ask, looking to the Cerulean mare who is on the brink of rage.

"Why, where are you going?" she asks angrily. I place one hand over my knuckles and begin to crack them.

"I'm going to pay this Uncle of hers a... what do you call it?" I ask.

"Visit?" Rainbow Dash offers.

"Beating. Yes, I'm going to go pay him a beating." I conclude, stepping out to leave the two of them to their own devices.


I had an ulterior motive when leaving Rainbow Dash with Scootaloo. Naturally, I really wanted to find her Uncle and go with what came naturally to me, but I also knew that although dead, I was a Stallion, and it wouldn't have been proper for me to gaze upon Scootaloo's body for too long, even if my intentions were pure. A Gentlecolt should not gaze upon the bare form of a filly.

I hadn't considered the fact that Ponyville's residents would still be searching for me. The town bustles with activity. Naturally, I would have to hide within the shadows. Pegasi fly overhead and Unicorns, along with Earth Ponies light up the streets with a combination of magic light and lanterns. I find it beyond difficult to even come into visual range of Scootaloo's home. I had to think of something, anything.

"Hey, I found him!" I call out. "He's headed for the school!" I yell. Ducking back into the shadows, I watch as all of the ponies try to cut me off at the School. Fortunately, I need only go the other way. I wonder if they'll mistake that fake model skeleton for me? I wonder, chuckling to myself as I do so.

The door to Scootaloo's home was open. Feeling less than courteous to one of the residents, I stepped in and looked around. Her Uncle was obviously out looking for me. Oh, what a surprise he'll find. The house was something strange, at least from my perspective. Everything seemed new and old at the same time. There were devices I didn't recognise, some things were missing, others replaced by newer versions of it. But the picture frames were still as decadent as ever.

One such picture depicted Scootaloo smiling as if she hadn't a care in the world. Another held the image of two ponies I didn't recognise, undoubtedly her parents. Then there was one of her father and her uncle, then there was one of Just her Uncle. That was the winner.

I took that last picture and removed the image from the frame. Using my quill, I began to draw... slanderous phrases and symbols, circling his ugly mug. I found a pin on a pin-cussion near a chair that had been untouched. Going to the front door, I pinned the altered picture to the front and closed it, waiting for him to return. I decided to wait in Scootaloo's room.

While I did this, I took a pillow case from her wardrobe and began looking around the room. Given she was a fan of Rainbow Dash, her room wasn't exactly classic girl themed. There were dolls, of course, but they were of Wonderbolts and apparently, she'd made a little wonderbolt costume for one of her Rainbow Dash dolls too. If this was an unhealthy obsession, I'd leave that for Ms. Dash herself to decide. I took the dolls and placed them in the pillow case. I also grabbed a few posters, some clothes (including undergarments) *skull blush* and her diary.

Taking a chance to be ungentlecoltly, I refrained from packing the diary. I could use something to read while I waited for Dear old Uncle to show his traitorous face.

Dear Diary,

It happened again; everything hurts from head to tail. I can't take much more of this. Applebloom and Sweetie Belle are beginning to suspect something's wrong, especially when I showed up to school with a black eye. I told them I walked into my door knob, but I'm running out of excuses. I could go to the police, but I know that the media will come sniffing at my door once they get wind of this. Once that happens, Everypony will know and my reputation (small as it is) will go out the window along with Rainbow Dash's respect or me. I have to deal with this myself.

Such a mature mind from such a tomcoltish filly. She deserves better than this. I planned on scaring her Uncle into being a more... upstanding pony, but it seems as though I'll have to think of something more drastic. Only Ms. Rainbow Dash knows where I reside and why I'm doing what I'm doing. Whether or not she trusts me is a different kettle of fish.

I realise my name in this town means nothing to either myself or the ponies residing within, so in order to protect Scootaloo's integrity, as she seems to desire, I'll have to utilise my monstrous appearance and sacrifice any claim to innocence I could possibly posess in the future, at least until Scootaloo is old enough to be heard among the public and be considered. Of course Ms. Dash could speak for me, but they'll undoubtedly come up with some nonsense about brain-control.

I sigh in irritation as my thoughts lead me astray. I decide to continue to the latest entry.

Dear Diary,

Today was the best day since Rainbow Dash decided to take me under her wing. I just got home from what seems like a fantasy. I met a living Skeleton. He didn't have a name, so I called him Jack, after my favourite story I have under the mattress. Jack was so cool, almost as cool as Rainbow Dash herself. He was like borderline between Rainbow Dash acrobatics cool, and Twilight's magical talents cool (I still can't believe I'm friends with the newest Princess of Equestria).

The best part about Jack is that he's exactly like the Jack in the story. He has the same style of clothing, the same mannerisms and is exactly how I imagined the fake one to look. The drawings can only give you so much of a realistic appearance.

The best part is that I'll be living with him some day (hopefully soon). I'll finally be free of my good-for-nothing Uncle. I know it's strange, since I just met him today, but I can tell he has a good heart (even though he's a Skeleton).

Oh dear, like future-step-father, like future-step-daughter. I think, returning to the book.

LOL Skeleton joke! I wonder if he'd mind those from time to time? I've been thinking about him being an Alicorn. What if he's related to the Princesses in some way? Twilight might know, now that she's the latest addition to the family. I figure there must be some secrets even the Princesses keep because of personal reasons...

...I just got back from the funniest sight. Jack got found out by Ponyville and came face to face with my Uncle. He did a hysterical laugh that sent the guy flank-first into the ground. It's official, I love my new Dad.

Huh, so she already sees me as her father? I guess that explains why she took off all of her clothes. I think. The diary ends there and I figure that's when my dear step-brother walks in on her.

I snap the diary shut and shove it into the pillow case. I then take a second to calm down and think. She mentioned that book where my name came from. It was under her mattress. I stand up and lift the bed just enough to hear the falling of a moderately heavy object. The book! I think, kneeling down to look underneath the bed. I spot three things, one of which is an infestation of dust-bunnies. The second is a blue scooter and the third is the object I had been looking for.

"Hmm. 'Nightmare before Hearth's Warming'." I read the title out loud. Just as I finish speaking, thunder booms in the distance and lightning flashes, illuminating the cover of the book for a few instances. I then hear the door to the entrance slam shut. What, no 'Honey, I'm home!'? I think, pocketing the novel in my jacket instead of adding it to the pillow Case's contents. I grab one of Scootaloo's belts for some of her pants and begin to seal the opening of the pillow up nice and tight. I then place it at the head of the bed and make a stomping sound so the uncle can hear. With any luck, he'll believe his plaything is home and he'll try to take out his frustration at not finding me on her. He'll kind of get what he wanted. I think to myself as I hear him ascend the stairs.

The door creaks open just as the Thunder and Lightning appear, adding a dark theme to the unlit room. I'm hiding behind the door, watching him step through. He's just as unassuming as I remember. He takes a second to look towards her bed before dropping all form of defence. This is my chance. I slowly close the door, the hinges making a creaking sound. The Thunder sounds again and I swear if I could smile, I wouldn't be able to hide it from him.

The stallion seems frozen stiff. With the door closed, I reach forward and gently slide my fingers along his shoulders, making him shudder.

"At last, we can begin uninterrupted." I say quietly into his ear. Before he can say or do anything, I throw my hand to the side of his face and use all my weight to force him towards the wall. With a loud slam, he's stunned. I turn him to face me and I try as best as I can to widen my eyes as I laugh at him.

"YOHOHOHOHOHO!!!!!!!" I belt out, the sound limited to this house because of the thunder and lightning outside. I see with each flash, the look of horror on his face.

"W-wh-what are you?!" he demands. I pull his face back before slamming it into the wall again.

"I'll ask the questions here, little Pegasus! And the first of many questions I have for you is: Why are you hurting your niece?" I can tell immediately that he is about to try and feign ignorance.

"I-I-I don't know what you're-." *WHAM!!*

"The dead don't care for lies, foal-beater! And I won't hesitate to break your mind to get the answer I'm looking for, either." I threaten. Skull joke! I think afterward.

"O-okay, okay! I admit that I hurt her a couple of times-." *WHAM!!* "Okay! A lot of times!" *WHAM!!* "EVERY NIGHT!!! BUT I ONLY DO IT BECAUSE I'VE LOST MY WAY IN LIFE! I've been grounded and now I'm torn away from the sky I love so much and stuck with a brat that can't pursue my dreams for me even if she wanted to!" he says.

"So you beat her because she's useless as useless to you as your own wings are?!" I growl. He simply nods. "How stale! If this is the pony you were before you were grounded, then you'll get no sympathy from me. If that isn't the case, you still won't get anything from me because you did more than beat her." I say, addressing another issue.

"I don't know what-." *WHAM!!!*

"HER MAIDEN VIRTUE!!! THE ONE THING THAT YOU STOLE WHICH SHE CAN NEVER GET BACK! YOU RAPED THE DAUGHTER OF YOUR OWN FLESH AND BLOOD!!!" I was really getting into this interrogation.

"I swear I don't know anything about-." *WHAM!!!!!"

"ADMIT IT! OR I WILL EAT YOUR STINKING SOUL!!! GAAAAH!!!" I realise that my eyes are literally blazing and Scootaloo's Uncle ins close to wetting himself.

"Alright! I did it! I nailed her. Bitch was getting too cocky for her own good!" he reply shakily.

"So you decided to get a little cocky yourself?!" I demand. He just starts shaking and nods, shutting his eyes to the world around him.

"Good, excellent, good girl. I know the truth now. I can build my resolve around it." I say, releasing him. He cracks his eyes open to find me staring green flames at him, literally. "But I'm not done with you just yet, oh no. You see, you've got to atone for your crimes. But I don't mean prison or anything like that." I say.

I rear both arms back and slam them against the wall on either side of his head. "You're going to live the rest of your life alone and unloved, and I'm going to be watching you, lurking in the shadows. Scootaloo told me about this lovely sounding chap called Sledermane. I liked the sound of him. So you best watch out, Uncle of Scootaloo; Jack Slender will be stalking you for the rest of eternity." I taunt, finishing off with a headbutt. As soon as he touches the ground, I walk over to the pillow case full of items and sling it over my shoulder.

"And don't worry about Scootaloo, I'll make sure nopony ever hurts her again. She'll be your... ghost of the past." I say, opening the window beside her bed and slinking through it.

Author's Note:

And here's the conclusion to that little side-story. I imagine almost all of you are shitty at me for going so easy on him, but think about it. Psychologically tormenting him into feeling guilty for what he did for the rest of his life would be far worse than simply a quick and taxing death. This way, there are no casualties other than his own mind. And morally speaking, Jack would become worse for it if he killed.

Also, who likes the idea of Jack Slender?! Name suggested by Multiversity