• Published 24th Jul 2013
  • 29,732 Views, 600 Comments

Of Horses And Whorses - GeodesicDragon



A human and his pet horse are transported to Equestria.

  • ...
107
 600
 29,732

Welcome (Back) To Ponyville

The walk back into town was longer than you thought it would be, and you found yourself falling asleep. Zayna asked Twilight to put you on her back, and now you are entering Ponyville to a multitude of stares and whispers.

"I can't believe we got it wrong," one pony mutters.

"You'd think that carrying him would hurt," another adds. "But she looks like she's got it covered."

As well as these, you can also pick up some sharp whistles coming from a few of the stallions — and even some of the mares.

"She's so exotic..."

"I'd let her carry me any day of the week..."

"I wonder if they'd be up for a bit of fun?"

"That stuff she's wearing... do you think Rarity would make me something similar if I asked?"

These and various other remarks filter through your ears, but your mind is too focused on wanting you to sleep to alert you to the fact that the locals are hitting on Zayna. She doesn't seem to mind, and winks flirtatiously at anypony who meets her eyes.

You soon arrive at a tree. It looks ordinary enough, but closer inspection reveals it to have a door and windows. A sign outside proclaims it to be the 'Golden Oaks Library'. Your entourage stops, and Twilight turns to address the gathered townsponies.

"I'm sure you are all keen to offer your apologies and ask a few questions," she says. "But our guests have had a very hard day and must get their rest. I will let you know if and when they are interested in talking to everypony. But until that happens, I kindly ask that you all leave them in peace."

The crowd murmurs in agreement and slowly disperses, allowing you and Zayna to follow Twilight and her friends into the library. You slide off her back and flop onto a – rather soft – couch, while she looks around at the many shelves lining the walls. Each one is filled to the brim with books, to the point of bursting, but you wouldn't expect anything less of a library.

Twilight and the others approach you where you lie, so you roll onto your back and stare at the ceiling. "Right then, ladies," you say. "What's going to happen to us now?"

"Well, our first priority is to find out how you both got here in the first place," Twilight replies. "Can you recall what you were doing prior to when we met you in the forest?"

You spend the next few minutes telling them what happened on the day in question. "— and then the next thing I know, there was a loud bang and Zayna just flipped out. She just turned around and took off running... took me a few minutes to calm her down." You glance at Zayna, who is blushing. "That's when I realised we were lost — and that she could talk. A few minutes later, you lot turned up and... well, you know the rest."

With the exception of Twilight, who appears to be lost in thought, the mares all nod slightly. A moment of uncomfortable silence falls on the room before the zoned-out unicorn suddenly snaps back into reality with a loud gasp, which startles everyone present.

"I think I know what caused you both to arrive here," she says with some hesitation. "A few days ago we put an end to a villain known as Discord, who was using his magic to spread chaos throughout Equestria. I am going to guess that you and Zayna being summoned here is the result of his magic, or at least what was left of it after we turned him to stone."

You decide not to question the 'stone' remark. "Uh, okay," you reply. "So what in the hell do we do now? Just hang around until you figure out a way to send us back?" Twilight nods solemnly and you sigh. "All right then, but answer me this: why is Zayna able to talk now? Where we come from, horses don't usually do that. Is this also the result of Discord's magic?"

Twilight shakes her head. "You said you've looked after her since she was a filly, right? Well she has clearly managed to pick up a lot of words from you, but only now has she found a way to actually put them to use. Equestria is a very magical place," she says your name, "so it's only natural that she would be affected by it."

Zayna looks at you. "Do you have a problem with me speaking, Master?" she asks. "I could go back to whinnying if you think that my sudden ability to talk makes you uncomfortable."

"I don't find it uncomfortable," you reply. "Not in the slightest. I just a bit... strange, that's all." You give her a smile. "Seriously though, Zayna, feel free talk to your hearts content... because once we get home you won't be able to."

"It's settled then," Twilight says. "The two of you will remain in Ponyville as our guests, until I am able to find a way for you both to return to where you rightfully belong. In the meantime, you are both more than welcome to stay here."

"Sounds great," you mumble as you stretch out on the sofa. "I don't know about you, but I'm tired. Goodnight, ladies."

*** ZAYNA'S POV ***

You watch with a small smile as your master drifts off to sleep. This was the first time you'd seen him like this, but it didn't stop it from being any less sweet. A few moments pass before you look over, and then down at, the Elements of Harmony.

"Hmm," Twilight says, tapping her chin with a forehoof. "I don't think my spare bed is big enough for you, Zayna. I'll have to find something else, but it could take a while."

"That won't be necessary," you reply. "I sleep standing up, so a bed is the last thing I'd need right now." You see the shocked looks on the faces of the girls. "Before you say anything, horses don't usually sleep in beds like you do. We are more than happy to sleep in a stable on a pile of hay."

"Silly Zayna," Pinkie chirps. "Hay is for eating, not for sleeping on! Ooh, that reminds me! We still have to talk about what treats I need to make for your party!"

"You'll have to talk to my master about that," you giggle. "Horses don't eat treats like cakes and biscuits, though I myself am partial to a sugarcube every now and again. My diet consists of grass, vegetables and maize, while my master will eat pretty much anything he can get his hands on, within reason of course."

"Fascinating..." Twilight breathes, her eyes shining with glee. "I will have to make some notes about this tomorrow... with your permission, of course."

"Be my guest," you nod. "It's not like I'll be doing anything else tomorrow." You gesture at the sleeping form of your master. "I guess I'll do whatever he wants to do. This is a whole new experience, for both of us, and I for one am keen to partake in it while I have the opportunity to do so."

"Wait a minute," Rainbow Dash interjects. "You're not mad about the fact you, and him, are going to be stuck here for Celestia knows how long?" You shake your head and Dash chuckles. "You're like me, Zayna, because you don't let a bad situation get you down. That makes you pretty awesome in my book."

"Celestia!" Twilight suddenly shouts, causing you to flinch. "I can't believe that I forgot about the Princesses... though it was probably understandable, due to all of the excitement, but I digress. If anypony can help you find a way home, it'll be them!"

She rushes over to her desk and grabs a quill and a piece of paper, scribbling furiously. A few moments later she rolls up the scroll and attaches a wax seal, before finally touching it to her horn and... setting fire to it?

"That's how Twilight sends letters to the Princesses," Rarity says, noticing the confused expression on your face. "Normally she gets Spike to do it, but he's asleep right now." Your confusion only grows at the mention of this 'Spike'. "Spike is Twilight's friend and assistant. He helps her around the library, and the sweetest little dragon anypony could ever ask for."

"A dragon?" you ask, to which the girls simply nod. "Interesting... but I guess I'll meet him later. In the meantime, I'm tired. Goodnight, girls, I shall see you in the morning."

You turn around and trot over to the couch your master is currently staining with drool. You watch him for a few more moments before your eyelids start to droop and sleep claims you.

***

"Oh my," Fluttershy says as she watches Zayna drop off without crashing to the floor in a heap. "She really can sleep standing up. But you have to admire her loyalty towards her 'master', though — we can all see that the two of them share a very close bond."

"They do indeed, Fluttershy," Rarity replies. "She obviously cares a lot about him if she can't even bear to be away from him even while sleeping. I can't imagine how she must have felt all those times she slept on her own."

"Our guests seem to be bringing up more questions than answers, though," Twilight grumbles. "We need to find a way to send them back to where they belong, so that they can live their lives as they intended to before Discord's magic interfered with everything. But in the meantime we need to make their stay here as pleasant as we possibly can. Let us show them the magic of friendship, so that they can leave here with at least some good memories."

The others nod their agreement and, after casting a final glance at the human and horse, get into a huddle and begin planning.

*** YOUR POV ***

You awaken to the feeling of something warm on your face. Cracking open your eyes you come face to face with Zayna, or at least her muzzle. She smiles at you as she takes a step to the side, revealing a plate on the table stacked high with pancakes.

"The girls went through a list of what classifies as a meal here in Equestria," she says as you sit up "Most of it contains grass or flowers and therefore wouldn't be adequate for human consumption but they eventually mentioned pancakes, which are made using ingredients we'd find back home. So I asked Pinkie if she would make some for you, a task she was rather eager to undertake. I hope you like them."

You smile back and scratch her behind the ears as you pick up a fork. "Thanks, Zayna," you reply. "Always looking out for me, huh? I thought it was meant to be the other way around?"

Zayna giggles. "As I've said before, you have done so much for me," she leans forward and briefly nuzzles you. "Now Twilight says that, once you've eaten, you may use her shower. Rarity has also made a change of clothes for you."

You pause your demolition of the pancakes and raise your eyebrow at her. "How did she get my measurements?" you wonder. Zayna gives you a look that says 'Really?' and you shrug. "Magic. Right." You resume eating, the pancakes soon gone completely. Stifling a belch, you get up from the couch and take the plate and fork into the kitchen and put them in the sink. Returning to the kitchen another thought comes to mind. "So where are the girls, anyway?"

"They are out at the moment," Zayna replies. "But they said that they would like to show us around Ponyville, so we are to meet them at the local bakery once you're showered and dressed." You go to ask another question but Zayna senses it. "It has a giant cupcake for a roof, it's not that hard to miss."

You nod and take yourself upstairs, already beginning to wonder just what this day will bring.

Author's Note:

It's finally done! My plan for this is for 'you' and Zayna to actually spend some time in Ponyville before you both have to leave, while exploring the relationship between man and pet. Don't worry, I will still throw in some comedy prior to this 'big decision' that I mentioned in the preview (which a few of you have already worked out).

You will also notice that Discord is now the reason for your arrival, rather than Nightmare Moon. Previous chapters where the ponies are talking trash about Zecora have been fixed, since she was a friend of the Mane Six prior to Discord's defeat.

Also, I seem to use pancakes a lot in my stories. I must have some kind of problem.