• Published 25th Jul 2013
  • 23,308 Views, 639 Comments

Along Comes Twilight - Spacecowboy



An emotionally distant Celestia begins to reconnect with her ponies thanks to a young filly called Twilight Sparkle. (A Celestia adopts Twilight story)

  • ...
25
 639
 23,308

Chapter 8 - Such a Lonely Day

There exists within Equestria other planes that run parallel to it, some accessible, some not. An afternoon sun shone its radiance down upon one such plane, a serene plane of undisturbed grass marred only by the tombstones littering its surface. Here and there a pony, or a group of them, mulled about quietly, paying their respects to the recently, and long since, dearly departed.

It was here that Celestia led a small group to, stepping through a guarded door near the entrance of the castle to gain entry. The cloudless sky greeted them, and, although one might look directly at the sun, it was no more harsher than looking at a candle’s flame.

“What…” Shining began, looking around in awe at the picturesque yet somber environment. “What is this place?”

Celestia quietly spoke from the front, answering his question, and so much more. “These are the Fields of Elysium, the final resting place of those who have given their lives to Equestria.” she looked at the ponies behind her, ensuring everypony had followed her through. “My… friend and I found this place long ago and discovered it has many magical properties. Here, it remains sunny all day and all year, yet even without rain the grass remains lush and vibrant, always thriving.”

Twilight looked around in quiet observation, giving Celestia’s words only part of her attention. Standing next to her, Cadance quietly began speaking. “Magical, yes, but…” her head lowered, “such a sad place.”

“...I can understand why.” Shining simply stated, noticing a small group of ponies gathered around a wooden casket that was slowly being lowered into the ground.

“Please, follow me,” Celestia quietly spoke, not wanting to disturb the other occupants of this bright and somber place. Anywhere else, and everypony would pause and bow before her, but here… here in these hallowed grounds Celestia was simply another pony, there to pay her respects. Cadance looked to Twilight as she lowered a wing, giving her a chance to scramble up. Making sure that she was firmly on her back, Cadance followed Celestia alongside Shining.

The small group slowly made their way, trusting in Celestia to lead them to their destination. As they walked in a straight line, the world around them seemed to bend in random directions. Shining leaned over to Cadance and whispered quietly. “I’m not losing it, am I? It looks like we’re not really going in a line, but we haven’t moved much left or right…”

Cadance gently smiled, shaking her head gently. “No, it’s part of this place. So long as you have a destination in mind, it just… moves you there. Otherwise, you can just meander around if you want.” she carefully nuzzled his neck, careful of the filly on her back who had yet to say a word.

Moments later Celestia stopped, coming to a halt in front of two caskets resting in front of freshly dug graves, blank tombstones resting . “We’re here.” Two words, spoken so quietly, yet making the air oh-so heavy, especially to Shining and Twilight.

Cadance carefully set Twilight on the ground, who simply stood there, looking at the coffins with dread. She lifted a hoof, ready to move forward but hesitated, hoof in the air. Shining walked forward, pausing at his sister’s side and gently kissing her underneath her horn. “I’m right here for you, Twily.” he quietly whispered into her ear. “Let’s go say bye to mom and dad, okay?”

Slowly, with Shining’s help, Twilight mustered up the courage to put one hoof in front of the other, the large wooden caskets looking closer. Celestia broke the silence, causing Twilight to jump in alarm and dart back a few steps. “Take all the time you need. Just let me know when you’re ready.” Shining looked over just long enough to reply to Celestia with a nod before turning his focus back to Twilight.

Again, step by step she came closer to them, unable to see over their height. Finally stopping between them, Shining carefully set her on his back, the two of them peering at the serene faces of their parents. The wood had been enchanted to be transparent, allowing a last look at them without disturbing the coffins.

“They look just like that one time I walked into their room early one morning…” Shining muttered. It seems like just yesterday they were seeing me off to camp... He felt a gentle nudge at his side as he began to cry. He felt Twilight shuffling around, a quiet sobbing coming from her throat as he felt a damp patch beginning to form on his back.

Looking to the side, he saw Cadance next to him gently nuzzling Twilight, her warmth at his side. When she pulled back, he smiled in thanks, their lips moving together to meet in a chaste kiss.

The three ponies quietly remained in each other’s company, each one grieving and offering support in their own fashion. Shining noticed that Twilight’s hushed sobs were starting to die down and looked back. Looking past his tear-matted fur and her streaked face, Shining couldn’t help but smile at the now exhausted Twilight.

“I think it’s time now.” he said quietly to Cadance, who went to get Celestia. Within moments, she was standing between the graves, a serious look on her face. Cadance came back to his side, and Celestia began speaking, causing Twilight to slightly stir on his back.

“We are here today to say our last goodbyes,” Celestia began, her voice filled with authority, warmth and passion all bundled in one. “Night Light and Twilight Velvet both gave to Equestria, performing duties that helped ensure the safety of her citizens. It’s always tragic when one is taken before their time, and sadly, both fell to such circumstances while seeing to the safety of everypony else.

“As such, they have more than earned their right to eternal rest here, in the hallowed Elysium Fields, the resting place of those who dedicate themselves to Equestria. As we say our last goodbyes, let us not dwell on their passing but instead look to those memories that make them who they are.” Both caskets lit with a golden glow, slowly rising into the air. Celestia smoothly moved them to rest in the air over the graves, a solemn look on her face.

“Now we lay them to rest, to be forever immortalized within our memories. May they always live on inside us, and may they never be forgotten.” Celestia gently lowered both caskets into the ground, not even making a sound as they touched down on solid ground.

“Anytime you wish to come and visit, all you need do is think of them, and Elysium will guide you.” Another glow of magic, and the dirt filled in, grass nearly instantly covering the freshly moved earth within seconds. Turning, Celestia looked to the two blank tombstones, performing one final act of magic.

Twilight Velvet
950 - 987 AC
Caring Mother

Night Light
947 - 987 AC
Loving Father

Celestia sighed, stepping back and walking to their side. “Thank you…” Shining muttered quietly, his eyes once more riddles with tears, Cadance still at his side offering her support.

“You are most welcome.” she turned to Cadance, addressing her. “I trust you can see them out, when ready? I have things that need seeing to.”

“I can do that, Aunt.” Cadance quietly replied, nodding her head as well. She watched as Celestia walked off, there one moment, gone the next thanks to the magic of Elysium. Turning, she saw Shining staring at the two grave markers, and Twilight on his back curled up, asleep.

Cadance walked back to Shining’s side. His ears tracked her movement, eyes still stuck ahead. “I’m going to miss them, Cady. They were the ones who encouraged me to join the guard, you know? I didn’t know what I wanted to do once I got my cutie mark. There’s a lot of things you can do with shields, you know? They took me around, showing me all sorts of things.” she quietly listened, hugging him around the neck as he continued.

“They took me to see our uncle, one day. That’s when I knew I wanted to be a guard. We were walking with him on one of his patrols, and came across a house fire. Without a second thought, he jumped in and ended up rescuing two foals and their mom. I wanted to be able to protect ponies like he did… maybe I could keep somepony’s parents safe, one day…”


Celestia walked away, willing herself to a place she hadn’t visited in a long time. Whisked away, she found herself in a location that probably hadn’t seen a visitor in five hundred years. She brushed her hoof over the tombstone, tracing the words adorning it. “Moonbright. It’s been a long time.”

She sat down next to the grave, a sad smile on her face. “Where do I even begin? So much has happened in the time since our last talk. Even what you warned me about ended up coming to pass.” Celestia let out a sad, quiet chuckle. “You really were good at understanding my plight, even without being able to ‘walk in my hooves,’ as you always loved to say.”

Minutes passed with her head lowered, not a word uttered from between her lips. The silence weighed heavily on her, allowing for a silent reflection; time to pick and choose what to say.

“Luna will be returning soon. I think, after I removed Nightmare Moon from the history books in the hopes it wouldn’t stand in the way when she returned, you were one of only three or four ponies I ever talked to her about. I can feel the Elements, too. It’s as if they’re… waiting, biding their time for their bearers to come and claim them. And now, this young filly, Twilight Sparkle…

“I think you’d like her. I’ve interacted little with her, but what I’ve seen reminds me of you. At least, she appears to have a love for books, and is very knowledgeable.” she chuckled, a stray thought passing through her mind. “She’ll probably get into just as much trouble, something tells me, given time.”

Celestia’s tone turned remorseful, a lingering sadness creeping into her voice. “But, just as you warned me all that time ago, I stopped seeing individual ponies. The first thoughts of her were how she had to be the Bearer of Magic, and how I should manipulate her into it. Subtly manipulating a young filly just to return my sister to me… I thought I’d never be so callous again.

“Even my ‘niece’ has probably seen more warmth from others than myself. I’m in no state to even take care of Luna, were the Elements to cleanse the Nightmare from her as hoped. I have a long way to go, it seems…”

Celestia laid down, head up to the sun and eyes closed, as tears dripped down her muzzle.


“Shining, I’d like for you to meet my parents.” Cadance quietly said, careful not to wake up Twilight who was sound asleep on Shining’s back. He looked at her with mild confusion.

“I thought your parents were–" Cadance cut him off nearly instantly, nodding her head.

"Yes, they are, Shining. Where do you think they're buried, though?" she held out a hoof, allowing him to interlock his with hers. "It's been a bit since I last visited, and since we're already here, it would be rude not to say hello."

As before, it took only a few moments of walking before arriving at the location of two graves, ornate markers adorning these. The two death dates were different, Shining noted, as they stopped a few feet away from them.

"I still remember my mom, even though it's been six years, now. She passed during Blue's birth, something about complications... I never understood what dad meant, but apparently it happens. Dad spent the next year trying to keep us both supported, working two jobs to help." Cadance sighed, leaning her head against Shining's neck.

"What... about your dad, Cady?" he quietly asked, uncertainty in his voice.

She closed her eyes, taking a deep breath through his fur. "He worked so hard, giving Blueblood and me whatever we needed. But, something happened, and he was hurt. Coupled with already being a bit weak from working himself to the bone, he just... never recovered. That was three years ago."

Shining thought for a few moments, something not connecting in his mind. "But... when did Princess Celestia take notice of you and your brother? Wouldn't she have stepped in and helped out earlier?"

Cadance shook her head. "No, she claimed something about not showing favoritism to any single subject when I asked her the exact same question. She took in Blue and me right after our father passed..." she paused, thinking, "as a matter of fact, it was very much the same service for our dad. Both of them worked for the government, so they also ended up here."

The two calmly sat there, both thinking on the past, and what the future may bring them. A rustle from Twilight on Shining's back drew his attention, and he turned to Cadance. "I think it's time to head back, get her in bed." he dexterously turned and kissed her forehead, quietly whispering to her. "I promise, I'll do everything I can to keep you safe, Twily... everything.

Author's Note:

This will either be one of two things... Either I did what I was hoping for, and the tone and mood were great, or I fell flat on my face... even now, I'm not entirely certain. Time should start moving a bit quicker now as I move forward, next chapter is tentatively introducing Blueblood.

As always, comments and critique are welcomed, and I'll be seeing y'all next update.

And, just a random fyi, the title is indeed from the System of a Down song, it randomly came into my head as I was writing the funeral segment. It just... seemed to fit.