• Published 21st Jan 2014
  • 1,616 Views, 112 Comments

Nopony Escapes Stalag 13 - DJSaltine



Burkhalter comes across an injured Applejack and brings her to Stalag 13. Twilight and her friends aren't too quick to leave another friend behind and won't leave without a fight.

  • ...
7
 112
 1,616

The Bump In The Night

The road ahead was dark as the twilight of night fell upon Albert Hans Burkhalter’s escort deep in an undisclosed forest in Germany. He sat in the back of the four-doored vehicle, his seats comforting to the eyes. Burkhalter stared intently at his report in the faint light, his eyes straining, but collecting just what he needed. An important message from the Fuehrer had informed him that he was to be posted in another undisclosed location. Although he was disgusted with his new assignment, he agreed in an unhesitant demeanor.

The soldier driving the squad car had his eyes glued to the road, his head crutched over the wheel in an attempt to find the dirt road beyond the dirty window. His mind was trying to keep him awake, but his eyes were fighting tooth and nail. Next to him, an armed soldier was snoring loudly, his head resting against the window and his gun aimed to the ceiling of the squad car.

The driver slowly dozed off, the squad car swerving slightly to the center of the dirt road. A sudden burst of light enveloped the sky as purple and blue lightning exploded nearby. The explosion caused the driver's eyes to suddenly jolt open, noticing a small animal petrified in the road. His eyes collected the critter’s appearance for the split-second before a thud was heard and the whole carriage shook as he swerved away. It appeared to be stammering around on four legs until it noticed the vehicle and froze in the headlights. The squad car was halted ahead of the creature’s unconscious body

The sleeping soldier snorted awake at the sudden noises. “Don’t wake me yet,” he muttered in a sleepy, thick German accent.

An even thicker accent accumulated from behind as the General der Luftwaffe shouted at the incompetent driver. “What is this? What happened?”

The driver got out of the car, running to see about the beast’s condition. Just as he rounded the front of the car, a tall figure blocked his path to inspection. Slowly, the short driver’s head tilted up to the chubby face of none other than General Burkhalter.

He glared down at the cowering man, Burkhalter’s cheeks red in anger and shuddering from the frigid night. His lips curled as he spoke down to the disobedient soldier, slowly and threateningly. “What are you doing?”

The driver shuddered. With a quiet, stuttering voice, he replied. “W-w-we hit some-something.” He swallowed a lump of saliva. “I-I-I-I-I…”

“What are you babbling about?” Burkhalter tilted his head forward in anger.

The driver didn’t say anything, but he leaned over, very over, and tried to see the creature’s condition. He had intended to see a small fawn slumped over, dead, but was struck pale when he saw with a better vision of what it truly was. “Th-th-th-th-tha-that!” He held out a twitching finger.

Burkhalter turned his head with a suspicious and uncertainly slow movement. His eyes took in the pitch-black outline of the car and the purplish-black swaying of the trees. The road behind them was long and had an obvious hole in the forest, a lighter tint down the center. On the road lay a small being, its four legs curled up as if it attempted to cuddle into the fetal position. An orange color emulated from the mound, brown tuft of long hair extended from behind it as well as three rosy-red apples that looked like they were painted on its body.

Burkhalter was at a loss of words. The creature looked like a deer or a horse, but was way too colorful. He turned his whole body to get a better look. “What the…” he muttered to himself as he moved in closer. The being didn’t move at all, the only movement was the subtle wind flowing through its fur. Burkhalter neared, getting in all he could, but it still showed the same thing.

He came up to see the creature’s head. It appeared to be that of a small horse with a brown mane that appeared to be tied in a ponytail. What really interested Burkhalter was a brown hat; a Stetson, to be exact. It seemed to have hit its head at the bumper of the squad car, but thanks to the rather slow driving, came out only with a welt. It might have a concussion, but that couldn’t be determined yet. Its gender appeared to be female.

The timid driver walked up next to him, still in complete awe. Burkhalter never moved his head to face the man, but kept staring at the thing. “What is that?”

“N-no idea, s-sir,” he stammered, still shell-shocked out of his mind.

Burkhalter walked hastily back to the squad car. Without a second’s notice, he opened the door to his back compartment. “Grab the back legs.” He moved quickly to the head of the horse-like being.

“Wh-wha?” the driver stammered, looking to Burkhalter’s form as it got next to the critter.

“This could be of some use to the Third Reich.” He pointed to the creature, each word causing him to jut his finger at it. “It could be radioactive or have some sort of potential for the fuehrer, now…” he motioned to the being.

The driver knelt down and picked up the hind end of the creature. Burkhalter also lifted the horse up and they both awkwardly walked it back to the squad car. With a grunt, they tossed her in. Burkhalter started breathing heavily at the sudden lifting of weight. “What is the nearest base?”

The driver thought for a bit, directing his route in his mind. “The nearest camp is a mile or two down the road. Erm… Stalag 13, I believe.”

The words caused great disdain to appear on Burkhalter’s face. The driver ran into the driver’s seat and began to start the car, the passenger still snoring loudly. Burkhalter looked down the road, a single word clenched between his teeth. “Klink…”

* * * * * *

In Stalag 13, the Kommandant awoke from his sleep and stared at his room in confused disbelief. He had a premonition of dire importance float deep from within. Raising a hand to his chin, he got out of bed and looked out the window overlooking the camp. Whatever was coming was not going to be pretty.

* * * * * *

The subtle breeze rolled through the forest’s trees as tranquility seemed to settle back in. A squirrel or two came running through the undergrowth, scurrying to find shelter. Just then, the world brightened with the tell-tall light source and a group of six horse-like creatures appeared out of thin air. Each of them was different colors and some had wings or horns, but one thing for certain about them, was that they were dazed and tumbling among themselves.

The orange one with brown hair stumbled out of the forest and tripped in a ditch, fumbling about onto a dirt path. The glare of headlights suddenly got her attention before she was hit and knocked unconscious.

A yellow one with wings and pink hair came out of her daze in a bush near the dirt path the orange one stumbled upon to see the two strange, tall creatures came out of the vehicle and began talking to each other. She hardly could comprehend the situation her friend had gotten herself into. She ran back to the clearing where her other friends were.

Her voice came out so quiet that a couple of them couldn’t hear. “Applejack’s been abducted!” A purple one with a horn looked startled at her and started running to the area that the yellow one came from. When she came into the clearing, she saw the car drive away down the dirt road. A blue one with wings and rainbow colored hair flew in beside the purple one with purple hair.

“What’s going on, Twilight?” she asked.

“I don’t know, Rainbow, but from what I can gather is that we’ve been teleported to a different dimension.” She looked to the dirt road, the tire tracks skidded the way to down the road. “And Applejack may have been on that thing!”

“WHAT?!” Rainbow exclaimed. She flew up higher and looked down the road to see the lights driving away quickly. She prepared herself to fly after them, but heard a voice from below.

“Wait!” Twilight called, “Rainbow Dash, don’t go off on your own!”

Rainbow Dash flew down next to Twilight. “We can’t wait! If Applejack is there, we can’t lose her!”

“Calm down, Rainbow, we can’t risk you getting captured also.” She took a deep breath. “I'll rally up everypony else. You can do a bit of recon ahead, but don’t go too far and stay on these dirt roads.”

Rainbow Dash saluted before she beat her wings and flew high in the pale moonlight, her head glancing over each strange new sight that this world held. It didn’t matter which world she was in; she wasn’t one for leaving her friends, and she swore to Celestia that she’d save Applejack.

Author's Note:

I've always loved Hogan's Heroes, so I thought I'd bring two things that make me laugh together.