• Published 23rd Jul 2013
  • 1,265 Views, 10 Comments

Tricks, cloaks and wands: The Lost Tales of a Traveling Magician - divinearcadia



Trixie, fleeing Ponyville after her disastrous attempts at besting Twilight Sparkle with the Alicorn Amulet, Trixie begins down the path that nopony could have predicted and will lead her to places both wondrous and dangerous

  • ...
1
 10
 1,265

From the Darkness a Light Shines

To get this out of the way, I have no control over the characters of and related to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. This is a piece of literary fiction, the events of this story are not intended to reflect the actions or incriminate anypony.

Chapter Six: From the Darkness a Light Shines

Trixie had never felt as relaxed as she did in that moment. There was no stress or tension in the entirety of her body. Even the breaths she took were smooth and even, hardly even seeming as though she were breathing at all. She lay there with the awareness that only comes with full mental and physical renewal. Time had no meaning and she had no desire to do anything except relish in the contentment she felt at that moment.

There was a change at some point. Her mind was pulled back to the surface from its depths as she felt the changes around her. She was now moving. She could not be certain of the direction or speed. I'm under water, she thought without any shock as her mind easily accepted this impossibility. She never exerted a single iota of control as she went on her way, feeling the current move her body and simply experiencing how her body moved in response. The water changed temperature, almost imperceptibly as it chilled. Her body made no move to deny the cold access to her body and her mind emulated this sensation, a pure crystalline clarity without thought through the corridors of her mind.

There was suddenly pain and her entire body reacted involuntarily as she curled around her stomach. She fought to keep it at bay, but it would not let her go as its sharp fangs were deeply embedded in her mind which still managed to remain clear. From the darkness and into the light, you return to us from the past and into the present, a whisper sounded from everywhere. She felt a pair of hooves rest gently on either side of her head and the pain slowly left her now sore body as something was wrapped around her eyes repeatedly. It took a few moments for the claws of light to leave her mind, but the hooves never left her as they gave her comfort. Gently, the hooves brought her to the surface and her next breath wracked her body once again as her lungs were set aflame by the cool air. She convulsed as her body sought to purge the remaining water from lungs that had been breathing it a moment before. Slowly her ragged gasps subsided into deep lung breaths. As her breathing became more regular, she felt herself become unbearably sleepy and drifted off once again as she was held gently in the water.


Trixie awoke in the same bed she had woken up the first time she was brought to the palace. It was just before dawn and there was a stillness to the air as though the world waited for the first rays of light to go about its business. She takes a deep breath and sits up in bed, the silence and stillness unbearably stifling for her. She heads for the door to the hallway in silence and nopony is around when she sticks her head out. Her stomach rumbles loudly and she blushes slightly, glad that she was alone at the moment and trying to remember her way to the kitchens, she strikes out going left.

This certainly doesn't bode well, she thinks to herself as she knows for certain she's lost. But the strangest thing is that she was certain she would have seen somepony as she walked around, but the castle was silent and she was afraid. Where is everypony?

Almost as if in response to her thought she spots a flitting shadow down the hallway at a branch and runs after it. She spots the shadow going in a doorway a short ways down the hallway and hurries to the door. It stands partly ajar and she opens it, not expecting what she sees. Before her eyes, there is what appears to be a pony. It has the shape of a pony but that's where the similarities end. It is seemingly made out of a silvery white vapor with shadows that course and pulse through it. It turns towards her and looks at her with iris' the same shade as hers but the surrounding sclera a dull black. Trixie stops but doesn't run, the thing before her has a magnetic feel to it. It opens its mouth and moves its lips but what comes out can only be described as an absence of sound, the words ringing in her ears.

So we stroll the corridors of our mind once again. It has been many years since we have come face to face, but we have ensured our survival up until this point. Our talent yet lives despite our separation. It says with a sad smile.

“Our talent? What do you mean the 'corridors of my mind?' Who are you and where am I?”

The self proclaimed talent shakes its head and “speaks” again. We are deep within our mind, the palace at present because it's the most clear to us at the moment and gives us a solid anchor for clarity. There is no I, only an us. What we are is a construct of Anima, the essence of our magic. Surely we remember our nature.

A deep, dull pain blossoms in Trixies chest. She cringes and looks back into its... her eyes and a darkness rolls over her. Remember who we are and we will be whole. It will be painful but we will be stronger for it. We cannot meet here again, unless we are whole again, but we will wait...

Trixie opens her eyes. Her sight unfocused and her ears feel as though they're stuffed with cotton. She lays like that for a few breaths and something fills her vision, causing her eyes to focus on the face of Rime Ice.

“Welcome back Trixie. How do you feel?” She says with a gentle smile.

She can't talk. She can't move. She finds it hard to even have a coherent thought. She closes her eyes slowly and a tear slides down her temple and into her mane. She felt raw, immeasurably tired and hollow. She was broken in some profound way and now she knew it. She had never realized it until now because it had forced her to be strong without her even knowing what it had done. Now she knew and wanted to be whole.

“I understand. I'll have some kelp broth brought up for you. Tomorrow we'll get to work fixing you right up.”


Trixie was awake but her mind drifted lazily in a dreamlike state. Memories surfaced slowly and softly and left the same way. She was content to stay like this forever, but the hollowness robbed her of any peace. It was always there and she didn't know if there was anything worse than feeling broken. Rime Ice drifted into her sight once again and her eyes focused on her of their own accord.

“Morning again. There won't be any pleasantries or pointless inanities today. You're soul is fractured Trixie and by Luna, I'll help you as much as I can. But you're the only pony who can fix yourself, I can only give you the clarity and a little extra strength to help you through the process.” She says as she moves out of sight. A faint light comes from her left as Rime goes about her business. It's not long before she comes back in sight with a small stone cup held in a magical aura a few inches above her mouth.

“Drink this and you'll regain some of your strength and clarity. Then, you must seek out the rift within yourself and call like to like. It's a difficult task that lies before you. I overcame it myself, so I would know. The rest is up to you.” Rime lowers the cup to Trixies lips and it feels as though she's drinking cold light as it suffuses her entire being, the rift in her soul pulses as is tries to fill itself. Trixie feels as though she's falling, her sight and senses fade.


The first thing that comes to Trixie when awareness returns to her is the sound of a brisk wind. She opens her eyes and sees that she is close to the precipice of a cliff. There is tall grass all around her, but everything sees looks washed out and dull. She stands up and the wind picks up its speed, almost as though the wind was clawing at her. She takes a few cautious steps and the wind chills noticeably as she nears the edge. Stopping three paces from it, she looks down into a nothingness so profound she could never hope to understand it. Like calls to like...

The thought rattles through her mind as she looks across the nothingness. She looks across the void to the other side, mirroring this side yet feeling smaller to her. She backs up a step and turns to walk parallel with the edge, but as her eyes scan the other side something isn't the same between one moment and the next. There's a white pony standing a few paces back from the edge of the other side. The void pulses and she feels a dull ache throughout her entire being, the pony on the other side shimmers slightly but becomes solid a moment later.

She was lonely and was sure the other pony was too. She wasn't sure why she felt this way, but she was certain of it. So she opens her mouth to shout across the void and over the wind. No words or sounds leave her lips, but it's as though this place called out in her stead as colors became more vibrant and filled with life. The void pulses and the other place flares in response to her call. She wants to go over, but she doesn't know how. Maybe the other pony knows...

She calls out again to try to ask her if she knows. The two sides pulse in unison this time but much stronger and she senses a shifting, as though they were closer even though the distance was the same. The void darkens and pulses again, the pain flares to a searing crescendo. We have to get to each other or we may not survive...

She turns to face the other pony on the other side. She pauses as she fills her lungs to call out one last time. Fire courses through her veins but the cool wind gently soothes her. She doesn't just call out this time, she feels a reaching out this time, and is met halfway. The void explodes and her vision is obliterated. Cutting through the nothingness is a silvery thread. One of its ends comes to rest in front of her hooves and the world slowly returns around her as though the nothingness was a fog and it was being burned away. The world around her now is alive in a vibrant spring. She looks at the thread that now spans the chasm and across at the other pony and feels happy. Feels... whole.

A warm feeling flows out from her chest and she looks down to see many threads begin to flow out of her and stretch across to the other side. She sees threads stretch across to her from the other side as well. The number of threads increases faster and faster, twisting and writhing around each other like something alive. Suddenly it stops. A gracefully arching bridge now spans the distance with shoulder high guard rails supported with a lattice work resembling ivy.

With a smile, she runs out onto the bridge which chimes beautifully each time her hoof strikes it. The other pony races out to meet her halfway at the highest point of the bridge and they stand there for a moment. Eyes of the same color looking into each other, a blue and a silvery pony meeting each other for what feels like the first time. We are whole once more. A voice without sound says. We have much to talk about and even more to remember. But for now, we must rest...

Author's Note:

It was a short update this time, but I think it turned out just fine and in more than one sense of the word. The choppy ending of the previous chapter may be a little clearer now with the revelation that her talent had split from her psyche in order to help both of them survive. The memory delving Trixie went through caused her mind to try to travel down paths that had been sealed and her talent was forcibly ripped from her soul. This would have simply caused her to black out if powerful magic hadn't been at work. Luckily enough Rime Ice had the knowledge to give Trixie the ability to heal herself and to eventually become reacquainted with her talent.